Author Topic: Kitten in Kabul  (Read 29053 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Kitten in Kabul
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2017, 13:10:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about Dave

That's great news about Gizmo. That little cat has quite a history.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #100 on: March 09, 2017, 19:04:41 PM »
GREAT THANKS  ;D ;D

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2017, 16:19:27 PM »
GIZMO is fine, he lives with Dave's wife.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2017, 16:07:09 PM »
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT DAVE AND PLEASED GIZMO IS IN CANADA BUT IS HE OK?

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2017, 14:20:49 PM »
Sorry,

Have not been on the site for some time. To Update. Gizmo is a Canadian now, Unfortunately Dave his owner died recently.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2012, 23:55:09 PM »
Was wondering how Gizmo and co were doing, Don?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2011, 16:55:09 PM »
HI,

Gizmo is staying where he is for the moment, he's having a great time. When the time comes to pull out, he will come too. Probably via Nowazad In Kabul, getting Gizmo off base and then back again proved to be a problem. he is an illegal, so they might not let him back on base, so we decided not to chance it.

We are pretty much covered for Koshka and her family at the moment as we have food coming in through the US forces, with their dog food, not here yet, hopefully in the next few days. getting them all out,  would again mean a trip to Kabul and Nowazad. But this will need to be reviewed as needed. We only just sent a dog we rescued two years ago back to the US. We like having them around.

I am going to have to do something about injections etc, got to find out how to get the vets stuff. I can administer it and I can get syringes and needles from the medics, but getting the actual medication is going to be interesting. if any one has any ideas on that.

oh they have names now, one of the ladies here assigned them names, Ginger and Muffin.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2011, 16:10:40 PM »
 :welcome: back Don  ;D

Glad to hear that Gizmo is doing well - are there any plans to move him out of Kabul still?

The new kittens (and Mum!) are pretty cute too  :Luv: What are teh chances of getting Mum, and babies when old enough,  neutered out there?

Do they need any cat food supplies? Would be happy to send some aid parcels if needed  :)

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
Hi from Covcats Koshka to Kandahar Koshka!  Our Koshka had 7 kittens 6 weeks ago and all are doing well.  Lots of love and cuddles to mum and the kittens.

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2011, 08:07:02 AM »
Well, its been a long time, just to let you all know that Gizmo is doing fine, I hope to get some photos from his carer to post later.

I thought you might like to take a look at my latest project, here in Kandahar. Two kittens, yet to be named, Their mother gave birth right under our container office, now about six weeks old. The Mother is called 'Koshka' and friendly little soul. Not tame but not feral, she likes to hang out in my office, in the air conditioning. She arrived from out of nowhere pregnant and looking for a safe place to have her kittens. Seeing we are right next door to a K9 unit and a short distance from the wire, it was maybe not a good choice.

Both kits show promise and I will take them on board when they are old enough to leave mum, or if she leaves them earlier. Currently they have started eating solids and have been making great inroads into the K9 dog rations. Which is only fair. Don't worry, cat food is coming in soon from the states via APO. Meantime, they seem to do well enough on the dog food.

One has ginger eyebrows and is the more outgoing, the other is more reserved, but I am working on her.

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2011, 17:01:43 PM »
A white and ginger tomcat named Gizmo  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

My white and ginger tomcat Wobbel was also called Gizmo by the neighbours who took care of him while he was a stray. They even look alike.....
I think Gizmo-Wobbel might like to send his Kabul namesake some treats.

Where is Gizmo now, I mean: where do we send his presents to, and is there anything in particular he needs/wants?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2011, 15:50:56 PM »
Yeayyy! Glad he's doing OK. (I was thinking of him the other day too. :))

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2011, 14:32:34 PM »
I was only thinking about her him the other day, thanks for the update and lovely to hear he's doing OK  :) Are his carers in need of any more supplies?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: May 16, 2011, 13:20:46 PM »
great to hear from you!

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »
Its been awhile, and I am back in Afghanistan, but not in Kabul.

Just to let everyone know, that Gizmo is doing fine and really growing. It has finally been determined that Gizmo is a 'HE'. But is a little short in that department having only one testicle. Most likely from his early diet deprivation and delayed development.

From those looking after him, this does not seem to slow him down at all he is the source of all mischief going on.

I will try and get some upto date photos and post them, when I can

Regards

To all and many thanks for all the help and pressies he has been getting.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2011, 18:23:03 PM »
gosh she is gorgeous  :Luv2:
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2011, 18:16:39 PM »
She's grown into her ears!

How are you doing for supplies? There seemed to be lots of parcels winging your way a while back so I held off sending anything but if you're getting short please let us know.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2011, 18:16:21 PM »
Glad she liked the gourmet perle, I only had a few pouches so the rest was Bozita but will get her some more Gourmet Perle next time I go shopping  :)

Edit: Hadn't seen the pics as read the post when I was logged out - just fab  :Luv:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 18:35:39 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2011, 15:26:28 PM »
She's turning into such a stunning girl. (And naughty too, by the sounds of it!) Will try and post more food soon. :)

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2011, 14:36:38 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaw, I have been watching this thread.
She is turning into a fine beauty and sounds very mischievous! :rofl:

Also reminds me... I bought some kitten food in PAH just after Xmas - must get my OH to post it (not Gourmet Perle I'm afraid).

Well done everyone over there for looking after her (such a heart-warming tale).
And Happy New Year too!

Jas
 X

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2011, 13:41:49 PM »
An update on Gizmo as received this morning from kabul

"Gismo doing fine, has turned into a real little tasmanin devil cat. Attacks everything that moves, destroys the office at night but eating well and packing on the lbs. Received afew parcels of food from yourself just after Christmas (She really enjoyed the package of Purina Gourmet Perle) Yesterday another package appeared from a Frances Belfield who must be someone you may know. All in all people around here thought I was opening a Pet Food shop but I have had to hide it these days so I took all the paper files out of my filing cabinet and put them on the floor as she doesn't seem to rip them apart as much."

Happy new year to all

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2010, 17:23:45 PM »
Posted today  ;D

If anyone else is going to the Post office to post Xmas pressies and can spare a few pouches then you can post them free of charge to Gizmo's carer:

Dave Leggett
THALES-LOGISTICS
OP HERRICK
KAIA-NORTH
BFPO 758

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2010, 20:33:07 PM »
I've just raided the cupboards and have filled four boxes for her, the equivalent of 64 meals/pouches (of Bozita), two gourmet perle pouches as a special tea for her and have thrown in a couple of packets of 'Dreamies' cat treats - I predict she will go wild for them :drool;

Will get them wrapped up and will post them on Monday after work. Thanks for the update Don :thanks:

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2010, 20:25:51 PM »
Re: Homing Gizmo, At the moment she will stay in Kabul. It is likely she will move to Canada with her current care-giver if the need arises. But there is always the option of bringing her to the UK.

Please address any further gifts to 'Dave Leggett' at the same address as before.

I will Badger Dave for more updates and photos in the new year.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2010, 20:14:35 PM »
Bless him/her! :Luv: I have to confess I didn't get round to sending the next batch of parcels as I thought I'd hang on to see if there was other stuff she needed and then it slipped my mind  :shy:

Have lots of empty boxes so will get some more parcels sent out to her although I expect they'll be delayed due to the Xmas rush.

Is it the still same carer details to send it to?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2010, 20:11:16 PM »
Merry Christmas to you too! Love the photos.....what will happen to Gizmo? Are any of you trying to take him in over here or is he going to get a home in Kabul? (Sorry if that's a daft question. :shy:)

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2010, 20:06:21 PM »
Photos taken the day I left Kabul,

Sorry for the delay, but I have been very occupied by various family members in preparation for Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2010, 14:24:41 PM »
How lovely to hear the parcels are getting through ;D
I have the contents for another box but I need to find a box to put them in - may ask in a shoe shop at the weekend (orrrr  its an excuse to buy shoes!!)  ;)

Glad Gizmo is ok Don, I would love to see some new photos :)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2010, 17:30:52 PM »
 :thanks: for the update Don, I have lots of empty boxes now so will send another batch of Bozita cat food out for him/her. Is there anything else that would be useful or that he/she needs other than food?

OK so the new address for any Gizmo fans is:

D.Leggett
THALES-LOGISTICS
OP HERRICK
KAIA-NORTH
BFPO 758

Don't forget, shoebox size or less and under 2kg is free for people to send  :)

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2010, 16:40:10 PM »
A quick update,
Gizmo, it turns out might actually be a Boy,now that  she/he has started to put on weight and develop a bit. I think that She/He lost their mother before being fully weaned which would explain things.

Thank you for all the presents, the latest to arrive was from a Lady in London, who also enclosed a postcard and a Peacock feather, which Gizmo is crazy about.

Also from the National Animal Trust.

I don't have any new photos yet and her new media secretary is also out of the country. But I will post them as they arrive.

If any one wants to send any more gifts to Gizmo, Please use the same address but change the addressee name to Dave Leggett, who will be taking care of her.

You have all made a great difference to this little cats life and prospects. The possibility of moving her back to the UK or Canada still remains

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2010, 02:56:53 AM »
Three more parcels arrived, thank you.

I have been delayed getting back to UK, so still here. Keep using the mail address for now as the person taking over the kitten care duties is on leave and won't be back until December. So she under temporary care of a Bosnian Lady.

I'll post here when things change.

Gizmo is doing well, I will try and get some new photos of her ASAP.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2010, 21:56:42 PM »
Don, I know you're probably back in the UK by now but if you're not likely to be going back should we send the food parcels addressed to somebody else instead?

Is there any news on how she's doing?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2010, 18:33:10 PM »
Glad the kitty aid has started to get through  :) Hope you can convince Gizmo's carers to join up and keep us updated on how she's doing and let us know when her supplies are running low.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2010, 13:26:11 PM »
that's wonderful to hear, Don

will someone else out there be keeping us up to date with Gizmo's progress ?

we shall want to know when more food is required, too
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2010, 10:24:21 AM »
I have been advised today that 8 or 9 parcels have arrived and Gizmo is in kitten heaven and well stocked for the winter. I have not seen the parcels or contents as I am in another part of Kabul at the moment. But I am assured that Gizmo is doing fine.
Also they tell me that there were no names and address of who sent the parcels, so I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who was kind enough to send something.
It looks like I may not be returning to Kabul after this leave, Possibly going to Italy for a while. But please rest easy as Gizmo is in good hands and will thrive on the attention she is getting.

No one has mentioned any of the parcels with dog sized teeth marks, so the ''Brains on chains" must have had breakfast before.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2010, 18:56:52 PM »
I bet these packages have to be checked over by sniffer dogs at some stage - I do hope they were all well fed doggies :scared:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2010, 18:41:11 PM »
Don and everyone looking after Gizmo: :hug: Glad she's doing well. :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2010, 18:30:53 PM »
Bless her! Hope the convoy of parcels gets through soon, I wonder what she'll make of regular cat food! Hope she enjoys the toys too  :)

Instructions have been left regarding 'kitten aid 'parcels and what to do with them. The lady looking after her during this time will take charge of the parcels, grooming, stroking and tummy rubs.

That's reassuring  :)  :hug:

Offline DonI

• Kitten
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2010, 17:20:41 PM »
Hi,

Nothing arrived yet, I will check again tomorrow. The short furred one is doing well and exploring, so that is having to be kept in check, although she does  not go very far, just under and behind a lot of stuff.

I am due to go on leave in five days so will not have much news for a month or so. Instructions have been left regarding 'kitten aid 'parcels and what to do with them. The lady looking after her during this time will take charge of the parcels, grooming, stroking and tummy rubs.

oh! she had curly ears, because they were being cleaned, it has taken a couple of goes as they were so very dirty. No mites found and fleas are not generally a problem in these conditions, due to the fine dust everywhere.

I shall be back in Kabul for Christmas so I will bring her some presents.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2010, 16:15:27 PM »
How's little Gizmo getting on Don? Is there any sign of the kitty-aid parcels arriving yet?  ;D

Link to CatChat