Author Topic: Kitten in Kabul  (Read 29052 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Kitten in Kabul
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 13:44:29 PM »
It's amazing what some people will do for a cat!

It really restores my (very low!) faith in humans when I see what Don in Kabul and everyone on here and on Cat Chat are doing to try and help this little kitten.  :Luv2:
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 11:08:39 AM »
I hope we're not going to do anything about bringing this kitten back to the UK without consulting Don and his mates first

this kitten may be important to them, and able to be well cared for out there given the right food and medicines, which I'm sure we can supply from here, given that the postage is free

Well,I found out my friend is on detatchment to the navy at present,so when Don is ready,I'll see if my mate can put him in contact with the movers there in Khandahar.
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
I hope we're not going to do anything about bringing this kitten back to the UK without consulting Don and his mates first

this kitten may be important to them, and able to be well cared for out there given the right food and medicines, which I'm sure we can supply from here, given that the postage is free
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2010, 07:23:12 AM »
I had a PM from Pav (Papillon). She isn't ready to come back on Purrs yet after losing Millie  :( - but she asked me to mention that Mayhew International bought some dogs back from Afghanistan and that they may be able to help with the kitten for a fraction of the normal cost. I am out today but wondered if someone could give them a call to get some advice.

http://www.mayhewinternational.org/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 07:28:48 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 22:07:01 PM »
Don sounds fab. She is beautiful! I love the 'meowing' photo on CC  :Luv:

I am sure I can find a box to send a few things over in too, will have to go shopping tomorrow.

The idea that she might be able to be brought back to the UK seems like a little ray of hope, I really hope she can make it here. I guess there is a much better chance of a good quality of life.

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 20:27:27 PM »
As some of you may be aware,I'm ex Royal Air Force,I still have friends serving in the RAF at present,one of whom is a engineer on the RAF fleet of C-130 Hercules transport aircraft.
If we can get puss back to the UK,Paul may be able to swing something with the transport & logistics side of the RAF,flying from Khandahar airfield back to the UK.
I'll drop my mate a pm with a link to these threads,I cant promise anything but....

Merv

That would be great if if could be done  :hug:

that would be brilliant if it could be managed                                       
Slave to Kalle, Kyrre, Karlo, Kaisa, Kassiopeia, Keshet, Kgosi and Ginger

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2010, 20:20:59 PM »
As some of you may be aware,I'm ex Royal Air Force,I still have friends serving in the RAF at present,one of whom is a engineer on the RAF fleet of C-130 Hercules transport aircraft.
If we can get puss back to the UK,Paul may be able to swing something with the transport & logistics side of the RAF,flying from Khandahar airfield back to the UK.
I'll drop my mate a pm with a link to these threads,I cant promise anything but....

Merv

That would be great if if could be done  :hug:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 20:20:24 PM »
Don, who started the post about this kitten, is on leave in the UK in a couple of weeks time and I think intends to stock up on medicines then  - trying to send them by post is likely to upset Customs, I fear

I mentioned cimicat and vitamins on catchat - I'm sure they would be OK though?

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 19:53:43 PM »

Merv
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 19:39:29 PM »
Don, who started the post about this kitten, is on leave in the UK in a couple of weeks time and I think intends to stock up on medicines then  - trying to send them by post is likely to upset Customs, I fear
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 19:37:38 PM »
Sounds like it will have to be quite a small box - smaller than a shoe box?

Not sure how you get to send it for free. I sold a few Denby things a few years ago and one of the buyers had a BFPO address and I had to pay.

From the link trigger posted it says that packages under 2kg sent to 'Op Herrick' are free http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/optelic_opherrick_mail.htm Although if this turns out not to be the case I'm happy to pay to send the food to her.

It does say in that link that 'shoebox size is ideal' although best to check that the measurements are within the guidelines. I have used the boxes that the boys vet food came in and have wrapped them in brown paper. According to the link you also have to fill in a customs label at the Post office.

Q. Is there a size limit for items of mail to Op TELIC & Op HERRICK?

Yes. Please be advised that the overall dimensions are as per Royal Mail letter service:-

Length + Depth + Width = 900mm with greatest single dimension not greater than 600mm.

Max weight 2 kgs.

Shoe box size items are ideal.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 19:12:13 PM »
Maybe someone could pack a stronghold, her ears look to be full of mites, also perhaps a milbemax.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 19:08:44 PM »
Sounds like it will have to be quite a small box - smaller than a shoe box?

Not sure how you get to send it for free. I sold a few Denby things a few years ago and one of the buyers had a BFPO address and I had to pay.

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2010, 18:52:15 PM »
I shall be sending something for her,do i have to measure the parcel? I shall have to get my ruler,i only like "old money!"

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2010, 18:44:20 PM »
I have just posted on CC and will send a parcel this week - what a lovely bloke Dons sounds x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 18:24:15 PM »
Have just found some suitable boxes and have made up three packages of cat food, cat milk and a few toys for her.

If anyone else wants to send things for her then you can send them free to this address as long as they weigh under 2kg and meet the size guidelines trigger posted here http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/enduring_free_packet_service.htm

D.Iliffe
THALES-LOGISTICS
OP HERRICK
KAIA-NORTH
BFPO 758

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 16:23:15 PM »
Thanks everone.    My very enthusiastic OH had about 6kg of Bozita packaged up before we found that website Trigger!     

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 16:16:50 PM »
I have some Bozita cartons (which is suitable for all life-stages) and cat milk that I'll send, hopefully tomorrow. The boys have some teeny mice that they're very fond of so will donate a couple of new ones for her to play with too.  What a lucky kitten to have someone like Don looking out for her  :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 13:56:03 PM »
I'm going to try sending 1.5 kgs tomorrow, Carol

hoping I've read all the rules, and done the measurements, properly

http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/enduring_free_packet_service.htm
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:03:03 PM »
I have posted on CC to see what the chances are of starting up a fund to bring her to the UK. When they are finished there, there would be no way of finding her a good home  :(

I know some Americans managed to do it  :Luv2: http://commonamericanjournal.com/?p=16592

Offline cazzer

• Hero Cat
Kitten in Kabul
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »
I  saw this over on CatChat.       I'm going to send some food over for her and wondered if anyone else might do the same

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/17/283345.html?1287916255

thanks

Carol

Link to CatChat