Author Topic: Options for my cat - please help!  (Read 1797 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Options for my cat - please help!
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 15:09:28 PM »
It is a tough one  :hug:

All I can say is that as the owner of an indoor cat (and my boy before as well), both were strays used to the outside, hunting, looking after themselves etc, and both coped fine with being indoor only.  Poot is much more settled than Maxy ever was, he pays no attention to the front door at all, whereas Max would always want to have a bit of a wander outside to munch grass - never made a break for freedom though.

It can work, it really depends on their temparament, and if they will play with toys etc to stimulate them.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline alicewooler

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Bluebell & Zorro
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 14:43:39 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, it's such a tricky situation.

She is mostly indoors but can go out when she wants at my Mum and Dad's because they have an infra red cat flap and that's when she does her hunting. She never strays far and hunts around the house mostly.

I never thought we would be in this situation but she seems so sad now, so I just want what's best for her.

I wouldn't be able to take her until October with holidays etc (my Mum & Dad go in September so I move into theirs to look after the dogs for a week) and we go at the beginning of October so no point in unsettling her yet. I suppose I just have to if she perks up a little bit of not.

Thanks for your help.

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 14:07:25 PM »
Hi Alice  :welcome:

It's a tough one hun, but I think my gut feeling would be to leave her be for a while to see if she settles. I'm very much of the opinion that cats get knocked down on busy roads, quiet, roads, country roads etc and it is very much the wrong car at the wrong time, but obviously having lost one on the road it may not be great for a cat who is used to wandering, hunting etc.

I've known many many cats that have adapted to indoor life, but if she really does enjoy going hunting and survaying her territory it may be too much of a change for her.

Only you really know your cat and what she might adapt to and i'm sure you'll make the right decision!

Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline alicewooler

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Bluebell & Zorro
Options for my cat - please help!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 12:17:25 PM »
Hi All,

I've joined this Forum as I'm unsure what to do with my cat.

Our 2 year old little girl, Clara, got run over a week ago today, the road we live near isn't busy and we live far enough away from it so obviously very bad luck - we are very upset and miss her lots already.

Now comes my issue, Clara was a lovely cat, very friendly and loved our attention, whereas our other cat Bluebell (1 and a half) is quite shy and is only friendly with me (not my Mum & Dad). She currently lives at my Mum and Dad's house in the same village where I live (I moved out last year to move in with my partner - I'm 23)

My problem is, Bluebell now seems quite lonely and obviously isn't letting anyone else give her attention. I call round every night after work and stay for as long as I can, but obviously I can't stay there all the time. Bluebell at the moment has big grounds to play in, and likes to hunt, although she also does stay in quite a lot too.

My problem is, where I live with my partner, it is right next to a road and also I think if I was to take her with me that she'd try to get back to where she was living with my Mum and Dad perhaps?

Could I keep her in and have her as a house cat? How would she adjust? She loved Clara (she was her Auntie) so I could perhaps get her a play mate? I am at work all day but around on evenings and weekends.

I just want to do what's best for Bluebell, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alice

Link to CatChat