Author Topic: Lost - my beautiful Buddy - Traumatised but home after 58 days  (Read 87770 times)

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
Re: Lost - my beautiful Buddy - Traumatised but home after 58 days
« Reply #313 on: September 28, 2009, 20:41:33 PM »
thanks guys. Buddy seems to wait until about 30 mins after I've gone to sleep to call me to interact with him, so I getting very little constant sleep these days but it's all worth it. I am thinking of pretending to go to bed earlier so he will come out to play before real bed time!. I am like a zombie swooshing a toy around the floor at midnight, then 2.30 am, then at 4.30 am, then at 6am!  :rofl: :rofl: all the hours I am awake, he is not interested!!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #312 on: September 27, 2009, 19:28:27 PM »
Oh Miriam that wonderful .... Buddy is obviously beginning to feel more safe and secure and I'm sure his interactions will become more frequent and longer each time from now on.  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline finnjim

• Adult Cat
« Reply #311 on: September 27, 2009, 19:15:34 PM »
That's absolutely a joy to hear. It should be all downhill from here; one step forward after another ;D

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #310 on: September 27, 2009, 17:11:28 PM »
Attaboy Buddy: who loves ya?

He'll get there, Miriam, he'll get there  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #309 on: September 27, 2009, 16:31:39 PM »
 :hug:  great news!
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #308 on: September 27, 2009, 14:58:51 PM »
 :wooooo: That is so good to hear....Obviously his curiosity has started to get the better of him!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #307 on: September 27, 2009, 14:38:17 PM »
Thanks for the picture of the shrew, I have definitely never seen one, they are very interesting looking!

On the Buddy front, he came out and pushed with his paw  a few times a furry swinging  toy thing I was moving on the floor, first time any form of engagement with me!,Only lasted a minute as the next small whoosh of the toy had him diving back under the sofa but it's a step in the right direction!
Cheers for all the support

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #306 on: September 25, 2009, 18:52:00 PM »
I have never seen a live one only dead  :(

Offline bombaycat

• Adult Cat
  • Billy Buttons and sister Coco
« Reply #305 on: September 25, 2009, 15:56:27 PM »
Great to hear Buddy is making progress, he'll relax again eventually I'm sure with all your patience. Very best wishes to brave Buddy from all of us.

Shrew: http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd240/dovey1977/common-shrew-3806.jpg - they squeak really loudly when they are still alive and they run very fast but don't see too well. Cats aren't supposed to like the taste but no-one told my Ted that.

Mia just brought a field mouse and is happily crunching on the rug....

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #304 on: September 23, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
It's good to hear that Buddy is starting to heal though  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #303 on: September 23, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »
We still have a very long way to go, part of my talking to him is telling him he is being daft!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #302 on: September 23, 2009, 09:22:47 AM »
Glad to hear things are improving  :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #301 on: September 23, 2009, 08:36:42 AM »
sounds like buddy is improving - you've done an amazing job!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #300 on: September 23, 2009, 03:10:24 AM »
Im so pleased that Buddy is still making progress....you must also be proud of you too as through your love and patience this has happened!  :wow: :hug:

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #299 on: September 22, 2009, 23:59:26 PM »
I don't think I have ever met a shrew!, Dead or alive!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #298 on: September 22, 2009, 23:31:56 PM »
Shrews are like mice but with pointed noses and they have a lovely coat......afraid I only see dead ones cos my lot hunt them.

Buddy sounds like he is coming on  ;D

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #297 on: September 22, 2009, 23:29:31 PM »
Hi Bombay cat, I am so happy that Mia is all happy, question, what are shrews?, are they like mice?, I'm a city girl and don't know! Please don't feel guilty that Mia came home before Buddy, it's a miracle both of them made it home!
Buddy is still in recovery, I see small steps he makes, he will eat in front of me more as long as I pretend I can't see him. And he is talking to me, albeit from under the sofa but I always talk back to acknowledge I know he is there.

It prob won't be for a good couple of months more before he can go in the garden again but at least I know he is safe and well!.

Offline bombaycat

• Adult Cat
  • Billy Buttons and sister Coco
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2009, 19:44:03 PM »
Hi Miriam,

I only just saw this as I've not checked in for a while (I sort of felt guilty after Mia came back and Buddy was still missing). I'm absolutely thrilled you found him, just read the last month or so of the saga....obviously taking a while to settle back in but I'm sure you'll sort it out eventually in time. I've only just been able to let Mia out unsupervised as they cut the dreaded wheat a couple of weeks ago - since then she's been off hunting shrews which Ted her brother eats - up to 7 in a weekend.
I've already had to worm them all as a result.
Every time I let her out I kiss her and say goodbye just in case its the last time i see her but she loves it so much I can't keep her in she cries for hours to get out when I do lock her in the house. I'm just about ok now when she's out and about as she seems to be in control of where she is now there's no wheat to get lost in. I have Loc8tor trackers on them and have tracked her down the hedges a few times when I was still supervising - very amusing to have to crawl into the hawthorn to grab a wriggling monster and take her home.

Anyway enough about my monsters - very best wishes with Buddy, and very well done for not giving up hope and getting him back home.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #295 on: September 11, 2009, 18:39:35 PM »
This is really weird and such a coincedence relevant to this.... Blackie my ex feral has started to call out to.... I have heard this for quite some time and thought it was one of the others!  :shocked:

I only found out it was him today when he was at the bottom of the stairs doing it.... he stopped and brrrr'd as soon as Gizzy (his pal) came!  :Luv2:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #294 on: September 11, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »
They may be little steps but its a tremendous progress :wow: so keep up the good vibes your getting there :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #293 on: September 11, 2009, 02:14:38 AM »
You just keep plodding on being your cheery singing self as it does sound as though the penny may have started to drop with him.... Hope so!  :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #292 on: September 10, 2009, 23:49:22 PM »
every little step is wonderful  ;D

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #291 on: September 10, 2009, 23:40:55 PM »
Thanks everyone, I think he is starting to take small steps as earlier he was looking at me in the bath!, so maybe he is starting to realise this weird human person is not too bad!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #290 on: September 10, 2009, 19:01:57 PM »
Miriam when he cries have you tried calling him ... he may be lonely and by you calling him to you it will reassure him that you are still in the house.  You never know he may come to you  ;) 

That is what we do with Alice - she has taken to crying really loudly but as soon as I appear, it turns to a normal miow - she is a little attention-seeking madam  :evillaugh: - she even does it if she realises we are engrossed in a film or something. She never used to do it but I do think it is to seek reassurance. Oddly she never did it when she was shut up in the attic alone. It is a blood-curdling yowl but I know there is nothing wrong  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Nicola (RockysMum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Chester & Beau and my beautiful bridge babies Rocky, Jake & Bailey. RIP my boys
« Reply #289 on: September 10, 2009, 16:41:28 PM »
Hi Miriam,

i haven't been around on here for a while and was so completely thrilled to read that buddy was home! I actually cried when i read back through your thread. I'm so happy for you. It's such a shame that he's been left traumatised by going missing but I'm sure he'll gradually improve. it sounds like you're doing everything right and with all that love and patience from you he's bound to get better! he's such a little survivor to have managed on his own for so long. I'm sure he'll get through this period of re-adjustment too. it must be so hard because you just want your happy boy back. Time and lots of love will get him through xx

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #288 on: September 10, 2009, 12:48:20 PM »
am glad you have ruled out a vet visit for the time being

I do think the secret in continuing Buddy's progress is to have as long a period as possible in which nothing directly threatens him - he will then trust that whatever  is going on in the flat is nothing to do with him

that will make him a happier cat as well as encouraging him to explore more and more
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #287 on: September 10, 2009, 12:34:02 PM »
Sounds like little steps are working - we have a couple who talk and yowl - all ex feral and they seem to do it mostly in the middle of the night we just reaassure them they are safe and it seems to stop

I would just keep doing what you are doing as it seems to be working for you both - time and love is the best medicine :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #286 on: September 10, 2009, 11:36:04 AM »
so at 1.13 am I wake to a little cry sounds, taking the advice, I talk and sing gently to him and he stops. I could sense that he had come out and was by the side of my bed but I didn't know if I can look at him when he does this or not so I didn't look directly at him. He cried again at 4.00 am and I put the radio on whilst talking to him and he stopped. There was another cat outside the window that was meowing so much, it sounded like he was telling an entire story!
So I reckon this is 'lonely cry' and I can hold off for the vets for a while thankfully. The cry doesn't sound like a 'pain cry', more like a sad cry and he does seem to react to my talking to him.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #285 on: September 10, 2009, 00:49:10 AM »
Aw bless him.... It must be so frustrating not being able to help him out like you want to! I wish you much luck with whichever way you have him see the vet, whether at home or at the practice!  :Luv: :hug:

Wish his little friend would come inside to reassure him!  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2009, 00:29:23 AM »
Franta will sit by my bed and cry during the night and he also goes out on the landing too. If I call his name he usually stops until the next time and when he is by the bed its like he is asking permission to come and lie on the pillow, so he gets up after he has been invited.

Franta shouldnt be lonely but he does crave attention on his terms maybe Buddy is now wanting to get closer to you but is still too scared.

I think Triggers idea ia a good one and if you put a towel over the carrier and door so he cant see what it is.......yes I know he will know LOL..........but then with a rug inside it may become a place he feels safe and then that will help you too  :hug: :hug:

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #283 on: September 09, 2009, 21:57:59 PM »
He did one random cry last week and I called him then and he stopped so that makes sense Sam, thanks.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2009, 21:55:00 PM »
Miriam when he cries have you tried calling him ... he may be lonely and by you calling him to you it will reassure him that you are still in the house.  You never know he may come to you  ;) 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2009, 21:30:39 PM »
Thanks guys. I read that it could be that he is lonely, he has no contact for a month now, it is quite distressing/heartbreaking to hear as all I want to do is help him. I don't have the radio on at night as I wouldn't sleep myself as I'd be singing along to it.(!)
If he cries again tonight, I'll call my vet in the morning to find out what my local options are. I'm just so worried about trying to get him into his carrier, if it would be far too traumatic for him, I don't want to make him feels worse then he already does.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #280 on: September 09, 2009, 13:10:20 PM »
unless it's an emergency, I woud start by putting an open carrier, with treats inside, somewhere he will find it and hopefully see it as a safe place to hide in

you might even be able to shut him in it

incidentally, Tosker used to cry piteously in the house, and  still does a bit, but it is getting less - because the other cats ignore him and he won't come to me, I think he was lonely
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #279 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:56 AM »
I would get a vet to check Buddy over Miriam and take it from there if you can't get hold of him you may need to use a trap.  You never know there could be something wrong healthwise that's causing his behaviour  :hug:

Offline finnjim

• Adult Cat
« Reply #278 on: September 09, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »
So sorry that Buddy is finding hard getting over the experience. You may find it difficult to find a vet tjhat does home visits, that's the case where I live anyway. You're right though, it sounds necessary at this poin, so if you ask around you might find a helpful vet. If not, because he's still unhappy after this long, it may be worth 'biting the bullet' and coaxing him into a carrier... as a last option.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #277 on: September 09, 2009, 08:41:28 AM »
I would go for Vet check at home if I were you

Leave behaviourist until after the Vet check

good luck    :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #276 on: September 09, 2009, 08:36:56 AM »
Hi guys,
The past two nights, in the middle of the night, Buddy has made a 'trembling crying' sound for a couple of mins and then goes silent again. He is still eating ok and using the litter tray ok. I looked up some info and it advises that the cry could either be medical or behavioural connected. It is virtually impossible to get him to the vets to have a check up, do you think I should see if a vet can do a home visit? Also that for a cat behaviourist to see him, they have to be on referral from a vet. 'm not sure what to do. Any advice please? Thanks, Miriam

Offline miriambuddy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2009, 23:22:11 PM »
thanks Gill, i'll leave it on then as advised.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2009, 11:20:35 AM »
I would definately leave the light on and I have a cat light on everynight till 0500 in utility room and it used to be on all night when I was in London too for Kocka.

The landing light also goes on  as soon as it goes dark and if I forget I have angry cats howling or visiting me to tell me about it.

I would do absolutely nothing to upset the balance he has now. let him lead and you follow  :hug:

Link to CatChat