Author Topic: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD  (Read 73354 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
They were going to give him fortekor so luckily they checked first as it makes kidneys spike for the first week doesn't it?

Yes it can cause a spike in creatinine initally, so not a good idea with his creatinine so high at the mo. Presume they will wait to see if the fluids bring creatinine down before thinking about fortekor?

Lots of best wishes for your visit  :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
Did you remember to take him a t-shirt or something with your smells on.

Hope he's not too stressed pooor little fella xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
going to see my boy just after 3 today. The nurse rang to say what a good patient he is. That's because he freezes when frightened so he's easy for vets to prod and poke around at, not like my Swampy who has "wriggly" written all over his notes. Anyhow he's on his drip. They were going to give him fortekor so luckily they checked first as it makes kidneys spike for the first week doesn't it?
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:  to all of you

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
So sorry and fingers crossed Max improves.

:hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Aw you poor thing.   :hug: :hug: :hug: Wish I could be there to give you a real one.  Max is in the very best place right now Kate, he will cope I am sure.  Once he gets some fluids etc into him he will probably start to feel a whole lot better.  It is a stressful time for all of you there is absolutely no doubt about that but please please try to stay calm.  Your puddy cats need a calm mummy (coming from the biggest stresshead on Purrs!).  I said in my pm is it possible that now would be a good time for Laura to come in and give you a hand and some sleep.  If you think you have to be up all night with Swampy and then are rushing hither and thither to visit Max and still looking after Swampy who is looking after you?

You have my phone number and I am here if you need me.  Both Max and Swampy are in all our thoughts and we are all sending positive vibes.  The purrs people have that special capacity for supporting each other, it is a very special family to belong to.
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
just left him for the first time in his life, in hospital. The locum vet left him in his carrier for a bit because she said he was hyperventilating; he sort of sunk into the back of the carrier. I can go in and see him after 4 today.  I know he has to have IV fluids but I just hope he can calm down and let his treatment work because stress isn't good for his kidneys either.
I came home to find Swampy has his head on the little stuffed toy seal I put in their bed this morning. It's not Max, but it is a pillow. I'm going to try to spend as much time around Swampy as I can. He is used to being left alone by Max during the daytime, but not at night.
I took a urine sample from Max which looked like water, it's so dilute. I know you know it, but I am so scared.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Glad Max had a good night.  Sending you these  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: and lots of positive vibes that the vets can sort him out this time and he's soon back home with you and Swampy.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Your not having a good time at all  :(

Hope Max can pull through soon  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
My Max is going in in 10 mins time. He had a good night, he even ate a little and he was happy. Yes I am a wreck. I will pop in whenever they allow me to. The  T shirt is a good idea. I will take in my sleep shirt later on , once he's settled. thanks everyone, I must try to be calm for him. xx

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Sending more positives vibes for Max, and hope he is soon back home .  :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
sorry you are having such a hard time Kate - hope things improve for Max soon

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Morning Kate -

Just want You to know that You, Max and Swampy are still in my thoughts xxx

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
OH Kate I am so sorry you are hving to go through this  :hug:

Come on Max you little trooper- fight for your mummy, the handsome Swampster and most of all your handsome self. We all want the best for you. over the past few months many of us now think of you and Swampy as our own, though your mummy wont let you come live with us.

You can  do it Max xxxxxxxxxxx

Kate if possible go and visit him twice a day - I visited Zak on my lunch time and in the evening, after the first lunch time visit - when I went back in the evening (for an hour) the vet said that Zak had perked up after seeing me  :Luv:, I also took him my sweatshirt as a comfort blanket so he has his mummy's smellls with him.
Mega  :hug: to you all xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Nothing I can say other than we're thinking of you.  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Oh Kate, I'm shocked, sending all the possible vibes we can from us  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Fingers crossed the fluids help and he is soon back home
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Adding my thoughts and prayers to the others Kate.  Come on Max, baby.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Topping up the positive vibes, really hope the fluids help!~~~~~~~~~ :wish:

:grouphug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
I am so sorry to hear this news - really hope Max picks up and Swampy doesn''t miss him too much .
Don''t know what else to say except we (me and my 5 cats)  will be sending all the healing vibes in the world to Max and Swampy and loads of  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: to you all .
Take care -hope things start to get better .

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Kate, you must be a wreck. (I know I would be.) Sending you hugs and hoping there's an improvement for Max soon.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Pappilon, I"m so sorry about Phoebe. I hope you find a way to get the periactin down her  :hug: it's so hard I know. Keep on trying, don't give up on her.  :hug:

Max got a new bed today, I got him a PAH dog bed that was on special and biked it home for him. He loves it. They are both cleaning each other sitting on it. OH carried Max around the flat on it like an emperor and he purred. Then he limped - his arthritis is worse with these toxins - to the kitchen and ate a little bit of fresh chicken tonight. That's a good sign in that it shows obviously he can feel better; but it also isn't in that it shows that only when he is relaxed and happy does he try to feel better (if you know what I mean; it was the bed ride and cuddles that made him eat I am sure).

One day at a time. Your thoughts mean so much to me, thank you so much. I'm just so grateful you are all here, pulling for Max and for Swampy  :hug: xxxx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Sorry Kate  :hug: Hope more fluids can bring his creatinine etc down and get him stable. Sending lots of positive vibes for Max.  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Poor Max  :( - I feel so sorry for Swampy too, not having his best friend for comfort - and also for you & OH having to deal with it all  :hug:

Come on Max - you are needed back & fit!  :ahh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Sending you tons of  :hug: :hug: :hug: and all my positive vibes for Max, come on little man  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Oh Kate im so sorry to hear this news about Max :( you must be in bits, but please try and stay positive,we are all rooting for Max and sending lots and lots of positive healing vibes for him and also for Swampy,he still needs you even more so if Max is hospitalised, im sorry your having to deal with this on your own but our prays are with you all :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
oh Kate  :hug:
I am shocked, I am so sorry this is happening to You and Max
I will send up a little prayer that Max is strong enough to fight this

I am really gutted for you.....you so dont need this xxxxxxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Oh no Kate, no.  COme on Max you can do it boy, we are all here rooting for you and your mum and Swampy.  Just put up the best fight you can Maxy boy we know you can do it.

Love love love and hugs to you all
xxxxxxxxx  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 Poor boy, I hope that the vets can get him feeling much better and he's not away too long  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
The usual vet just rang. Max's creatinine and urea have gone up even more, to 441 and 20. He needs to be in hospital so is going in tomorrow for 3 - 4 days. He will be tested every day and I can visit him, but Max will need to fight. The vet says there is hope, but we'll know more at the weekend. He then would fit him with a catheter for sub cut fluids, if his kidneys and urea come down. Otherwise we have to make a decision on how long he may have. I am in total shock. He had full bloods done in January and he was fine. Then last week's scan was clear. As you know I have Swampy so unwell and Swampy is reliant on Max too - he loves to relax and sleep by putting his little head on Max's tum.  OH is very busy at work right now, working long hours, so I am alone with this. So i need you good people please to pull for him, to send him your prayers and vibes that he can get better.
His readings should have come down in a week after the blockage apparently. I think he probably should have been in hospital last week but the vet didn't think so at the time. I just hope we haven't waited too long.
I have to try to stay calm for him but I am in tears as I type this. I am not even allowed to give him anything but yoghurt tonight and no Zylkene.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 19:48:09 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Re: Max's emergency vet visit
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2009, 11:06:19 AM »
just back from the vet. Max had more bloods taken, hopefully the results back tonight or tomorrow, including thyroid this time. The locum's the same one that saw him last tuesday and she thinks he looks better, although his behaviour and eating are worse. They didn't do bp as I"d hoped but are waiting for the bloods. He's staying on periactin.

I will never give it at night again though. Max howled from 3 - 4 am and then from 6am until he settled. We are so worried not just about him but about our own sleep and that of the neighbours. OH has some very tricky work to do at present and is working so hard and needs to sleep. Max has a terrible voice, quite siamese. OH got him to eat a little Applaws (couple of mouthfuls) by cuddling him and stroking his tummy, at 2am. This is while the periactin is still working, so the first day when he ate well on it has passed and now he's fussy and yelling even when on it.  This morning I got him to eat a couple of mouthfuls of felix senior chicken in jelly. The trouble is that Max is also going to see all these different foods and hold out for a better one, but I can't let him hunger strike in his current condition. It's exhausting.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2009, 07:52:58 AM »
I think he needs to see the vet regardless of whether it is a locum or not, he can't wait till Wed - you can always explain the situation and that hospitalisation really is a last resort if there is nothing you can do at home.
Please spay your cat

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2009, 00:04:00 AM »
Sorry to hear Max is poorly still - you are going through it with both being ill and the fact that they are so close to each other too .
Sending lots of healing vibes from us all in Lincoln and  :hug: :hug: :hug: to all of you .
Can''t stay online tonight as i have been painting in here and the fumes are getting to much !!
Will check again tomorrow and hope things improve for them

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2009, 21:20:04 PM »
thanks, I cleaned out PAH of their Applaws and they only have the tuna hi Life so I'll have to go to the supermarket. However Max is very poorly tonight. He won't purr or respond to affection or anything and is just lying there in their bed with Swampy sleeping. He won't eat. I have given him another 1/8th Periactin to see if it helps and emailed the vet. I don't think the vet's at work until wednesday and I don't want a locum deciding to put him in hospital for ages, with him stressing out and shutting down and Swampy not coping without him either - I risk losing them both. Of course if he absolutely needs to be in hospital then he must be, but not unless.
I hope my email will at least get a response from the vet who knows Max - not too well though, as Max hasn't been in to the vets much as has been so healthy up until now. Please send vibes and prayers for him.
He did perk up a bit earlier with the 1/4 periactin and ate a bit, but less than yesterday and he wouldn't touch the k/d today, just his old dry food a little and the "sick cat" foods like hi life and applaws a little.
I've never been this worried about Max before.

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2009, 19:35:27 PM »
Poor Max and swampy  Hope things soon get better for you all xx
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2009, 19:11:37 PM »
If he is eating the small 80g tins of HiLife, they do a chicken and giblet pate and salmon pate individually, as well as a box with three different chicken flavours in (I have just put my box in for recycling or I could tell you the flavours) and a box with 3 tuna flavours - my PAH sell both boxes, but only the supermarkets sell the individual ones. There is also the Essentials pouches (asda only) that come in chicken, or their boxes of pouches, but they are a bit hit and miss with cats I find, and similar to Purely and Tesco foods.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2009, 16:16:37 PM »
could you try mashing a bit of the tuna into the chicken food, so that it smells fishy?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2009, 16:03:44 PM »
They do a chicken but its not smooth like the tuna!  :(

This is really awkward for you and Im sure your head must be hurting....I do hope some food he like's that is good for him is accepted soon!

Thinking of you all!  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2009, 15:54:16 PM »
the minx was yelling with hunger but refused both his usual foods, then ate a mouthful of dry (about 5 biscuits), so I gave in. He just ate 1/4 can of Hi Life tuna complete food. It's not good for him but I can't manage with him being periactinned and still refusing food.
Does Hi Life only come in tuna and fishy things or do they do a chicken? I need a stinky, complete, chicken food which is easy to eat (no chunks). Help!  :thanks:  He likes Applaws but not complete sadly. (how 'incomplete' is it, does anyone know?). I'll have to email the vet tomorrow. He's not normally there mon and tues.

Link to CatChat