Author Topic: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD  (Read 73285 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
First up he ate a little chicken Applaws but then vomited it up, with some foam too. So we hugged him for an hour, then OH got him to eat a small plate of i/d. That will probably be all he'll eat until maybe tonight, he's just not interested. He's drinking a lot so I assume his kidneys are lousy.  But at present his behaviour is ok. He is purring and still licking his own whiskers and moving to the bed to say hello occasionally if I am resting. But I tried to assist feed him a bit and I need practice (used my finger, not a stressy syringe).

He's never eaten when well and stressed, so being unwell is doubly difficult. Will see what the vet says later. I hope he is working today and it's not the locum and that he really applies his mind in a busy surgery to Max's eating problems. I don't know just how much is enough p.d.  I don't know at what point sardines get given because they may be eaten, or whether I can hold out and he just eats 2 tiny plates of something chickeny a day and that is enough.  Max is on kaminox for his amino acids and vitamins.

I need to remember to ask if cat milk (senior) is ok assuming Max would take it.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Hope his little Maxness is feeling better this morning after mega cuddles with Swampy.  I am sending you loads of pos thoughts and hope he has eaten.
 :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Morning Kate, how's Max doing this morning?  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Morning Kate, how is Max doing this morning, have you managed to get him to eat anything yet,,my thoughts are with you and im sending lots of positive vibes for him and for Swampy and hugs for you :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Thinking of you all!  :Luv: :grouphug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Sorry -try  www.zooplus.co.uk  or www.seapets.co.uk.  ( click on cats , then cat food -Almo nature is buy 10 get 2 free as well -pouches and tins )
Hope you find something he likes and he starts to eat more . :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 23:28:44 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
He might be just totally exhausted as he has been through an awful lot of stressful situations.  Try not to make too much fuss around his food as this will make him anxious wont it?  Keep persevering with anything he will like and once he is eating try the more suitable ones, maybe with a little dry added?

Try not to be too anxious Kate.   Will PM you later as need to do some stuff
xxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
thanks, but the link goes to an error page (?). I've left out a little dry food but right now he's not interested in any food at all. He is just lying in bed. Sometimes he gets up for a drink or a wee and this morning he wanted to come and lie with me and purr, but since then he's been mostly asleep. Today's the first day without fluids for a week. I am getting very down about it all, I don't know what to try. I will try him with more Applaws this evening and maybe syringe yet more water into him, although that's only about 5mls. He is drinking a bit by himself. His wee is so foamy.
The vet isn't keen on periactin, I don't know why. He says it doesn't work for long either. Surely it can be taken every other day or every 3rd day - do you think it may work then? At least then he may eat a bit more every few days.
He still looks well and is on Kaminox too, but he's clearly not at all well.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
I think zooplus sell almo nature .
Hope he starts to eat more soon. :hug: :hug: :hug:

www.almo-nature.co.uk - found this too .
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 13:47:56 PM by bunglycat »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Kate will he eat mince - like beef mince or turkey something like that? I agree with Des though, if dry is all he'll eat then better he has that than nothing - you can just make sure he keeps his liquids up with the subq's and maybe try a chicken broth with just the teensiest amount of liquid from something fishy to tempt him.  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Kate, it might be worth giving him small amounts of dry food, even if it isn't good for his kidneys, as he has to eat. IF he has had sub-q fluids, it should help his hydration.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Almo nature is like applaws - same kind of thing - chicken with cheese, pumpkin etc and it is flaked chicken in broth.  They do more varieties than applaws.  The senior is, like I said, more minced and contains egg and carrot.  It says complete on the tin but there is no mention of added minerals so I would treat it as complementary.  I thought that if Max likes the applaws he might like that, and I'd guess the senior version might be better for the kidney probs.

I have a small tin in so if you pm me your address I will send you that tin to see if Max shows any interest in it.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Is he drinking?  Little and often with the food I would suggest, just a spoonful every hour or so to at least get something in him.  THese cats sure know how to stress us out don't they?  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I'm glad he's home  ;D  Lots of hugs for Maxy  :hug: :hug: :hug: and some for Swampy too so that he doesn't feel left out  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Kate, almo nature do a senior food - dont' know whether that might be more suitable for a CRF cat than the standard applaws/almo nature?  Think I might have a tin in so will try to see whether it is complete or complementary.  It's not the same texture as the normal stuff but more minced.  And contains carrots  :shify:

He ate a teeny bit of senior chicken pate at 3.30am after much coaxing and a tiny nibble of chicken breast Applaws this morning. He is not unhappy but he'll weaken if he doesn't eat more soon. Sorry, don't know what almo nature is please? Where do you get it? Anything is worth a try. He's not allowed fishy stuff though. This morning at 5 he came to sit on my head and have a purr so he is destressing. He and Swampy had a lovely eyebrow nuzzle too. I have to keep his fluids up- his appointment is only 5.30pm monday, unless it's urgent - and try to get him to eat. It's not just that he feels a bit sick, but his food has been changed suddenly, from dry to wet and he's completely gone off his turkey food that he loved. Wont' touch a drop.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
So pleased he is home and snuggling up with Swampy .
Hope he eats more tonight and tomorrow.
Topping up the healing vibes for Swampy and Max and also eating vibes for Max. :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Pleased he is home and snuggling with his mate  ;D

Maybe when he destresses a bit he will eat something  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Oh yet another stressful time for you all round!  :hug:

C'mon Max....eat your food it will make you feel much better!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Tons of positive vibes  coming Max,s way and hugs for you and Swampy :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
 Sending lots of positive vibes to Max. :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
and from me too  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Sending all the loving vibes we can muster, Kate.   :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max is safely home but he won't really eat. Since he's got home he's eaten about 1/4 of one of those tiny Applaws chicken tins and recently ate 1/8th little tin of senior chicken pate, that's all. No interest in fresh chicken either. It's going to be really difficult. He seems happy to be home and he and Swampy were curled up together in no time. But please send vibes and prayers that he will improve and eat something.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Hope he is now home and feeling better:)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
I'm glad he's home  ;D  Lots of hugs for Maxy  :hug: :hug: :hug: and some for Swampy too so that he doesn't feel left out  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Kate, almo nature do a senior food - dont' know whether that might be more suitable for a CRF cat than the standard applaws/almo nature?  Think I might have a tin in so will try to see whether it is complete or complementary.  It's not the same texture as the normal stuff but more minced.  And contains carrots  :shify:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
Hope hes home with you all and that things have improved  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Hoping that all went to plan and he is now home?  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
this is a pic from late last year when he was fat, healthy and happy

OOOOOOOOOO I feel a tummy raspberry coming on  PPPPPPPrrrrrrrLLLLLLLLLLL  ;D What a fantastic tum he has xxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
We have someone coming today to stay tonight, but I will defo post later when he is home. The appointment is for 12 so he should be home by 12.45!

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
So pleased his results are better -really hope everything goes okay when he comes home .
The picture of him is beautiful , such a handsome boy  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
The reduction in the results sound very positive and hope he continues his improvement.  That picture is lovely  ;D

I wouldnt be worried about him being tired because he has been through a lot recently and its the bodies way of trying to cope  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I'll ask the vet tomorrow. He fixates on renal food, which Max doesn't like. I know he'd eat sardines, tuna that kind of thing, but it's not good for urinary tracts and I can't do anything which brings back a blockage. I'm hoping he will eat a bit of i/d, Applaws and...??  I wish I could find something he really liked.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
needs to eat more but not sure what as what he always ate before was dry food and only a tiny bit of wet. I'm scared he will block again if I let him eat dry food. 

That sounds really positive his creat/urea have come down  :hug: lets hope it stays that way. That photo you posted earlier is brill  :Luv:

What does the vet recommend food wise?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max almost went to sleep on me during my visit this evening. He won't eat much, which is the main concern, but his blood results are a little better, especially the creatinine which is now in the 300s. His urea is 17.
I didn't see the vet (too busy) but we are fetching him home, all being well, at 12 tomorrow and deep breath that he will eat and not deteriorate. I think he will have sub cut fluids before he comes home. I took a mobile photo of him which I may work out (sometime!) how to post. He was in quite a good mood and purring, just seemed fatigued. I think he needs to eat more but not sure what as what he always ate before was dry food and only a tiny bit of wet. I'm scared he will block again if I let him eat dry food.  He just seemed not to have much energy and had wrapped himself up totally in his blanket (not visible when I got there, bless him). The kitten is only now really waking up. His only other neighbour is very poorly, poor boy.
I told him everyone sent him such good vibes  :hug: to you all.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Aww bless him, lovely photo. :Luv:
I think the kitten will stop crying and settles and hopefully Max comes home tomorrow. :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Aw what a scrummy boy he is!  :drool;

Good Luck for the bloods!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Lovely photograph Kate.  Aren't we all extremely lucky that these beautiful cats of ours give us so much pleasure, for which ultimately we all have to endure the unendurable.  A price worth the asking.   :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
this is a pic from late last year when he was fat, healthy and happy

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
He is coping fine Kate,  you didn't think he would cope at all and he has.  The kitten will settle and be gone tomorrow.  Hopefully Max will be home tomorrow and hopefully too his results will be better today.  Hour by hour  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max was nervy this morning as a very cute kitten had been put in the cage above him and was miaowing a lot. The kitten is in for the night :(  Anyhow he did manage a purr when I cuddled him and he ate a tiny bit of i/d, having pretty much refused the renal food they offered him.  I didn't want to stuff him with Applaws as he is due to have more bloods later and I don't want them to affect the result. He had a good complain when I left too. Max hates any other animals so not sure how he's going to get on tonight. The kitten's in for neutering and his owner can't fetch him until tomorrow so it's upsetting as it's not really that he's even sick.
His other neighbour is terribly ill with diabetes and makes no noise at all, poor little thing.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Good luck for todays bloods, I do hope they have come down.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat