Author Topic: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD  (Read 73292 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Max's emergency vet visit
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2009, 12:58:04 PM »
yes he has, thanks. Just given him another 1/4 periactin as he seems vaguely interested in food only to refuse it so needs a nudge. At least his mood is a bit better, but it's hard work. He's a difficult patient is our Max. Very nervy at the best of times and when feeling unwell, even worse.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2009, 10:54:44 AM »
Has he poo'd yet Kate, as if not, that could be why he is reluctant to eat, you dont want to eat if you are full of poo.
Please spay your cat

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2009, 09:32:26 AM »

Kate, i am pleased Max had some thing to eat, my vet said its safe for Phoebe to take Periactin , as long as needed . I told him i dont want to keep her for too long because i need to find the reason why she stops eating, but TBH right now is doing wonders and she is eating and feeling better and taking her med for CRF and HT, she is on 1/2 tab twice a day and for now i am not going to stop it . My vet assured me it wont do any harm and even said he treats a cat which has CRF and is been on Periactin for over a year now and doing well!
The problem i have with Phoebe is her other meds and because i have to hide them in treats i cant afford for her to have only dry, and that's what she was doing in last 3 weeks just a bit of dry but since tuesday she is eating normal and doesn't look too miserable, but still yowling? I also know even on Priactin she may stop again as she did 2 weeks ago ! I hope  Max start having proper meals soon , how about if you give him just 1/2 tab in one go instead of 1/4 twice a day, till  1/4 may not be strong enough but check with your vet. If he says yes and you want to continue till Max get his appetite back i can just put few in post for you, to save you the trip to the vet.
Sending more good vibes for Max and i hope he start feeling better soon. x
[/quote]

bless you and thanks x  I'll speak to the vet about it and that's helpful info to know. I think when it comes to it, he will let me do what it takes to keep Max eating. I'm going to have to give it again because he will only nibble at Applaws chicken breast this morning (I'm going to write to the co to say please make your food complete and keep it so palatable, you will make a fortune!). My heart was in my mouth as come 5am he'd not peed, although hadn't even tried, since 7 last night. That's how he was before he blocked and had all the sub cut fluids. Max then ate a little Applaws (about 1/4 of one of those tiny tins), then he went to wee after scratching to Australia etc, then he had a drink. So if he doesn't eat, he doesn't drink, he doesn't pee.
I cuddled him and told him he's 10 times worse than a man with man flu  :evillaugh:

I'm going to give him a 1/4 later as on periactin at that dose he ate some k/d yesterday and that's the best for him right now if he's only eating a little. It's encouraging in a way that I had to chuck out food that he wouldn't eat as he was holding out for Applaws as 2 days ago he just lay there. But so good to hear Phoebe's been helped with it too. At the end of the day, they have to eat.
 :hug: x  hope Phoebe's enjoying some sunshine today too

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2009, 20:26:09 PM »
Just seen this - sending loads of healing vibes for Max. :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2009, 18:53:14 PM »

Anyone know how many days you can safely give periactin for? Does it just work on the brain? He's on 1/4 or maximum 1/2 once p.d and I have 2 tablets. My vet said it isn't safe for 'too long' and tends to work 'straight away but not for long' whatever that means. Anyhow please send prayers and vibes that Max will now eat and be happier. He's only eaten a little, but that's better than nothing even if he won't eat later. He's still not visiting the tray nearly as much as I would expect him to, seems to have gone back to his twice a day that the locum was worried about, so hope he doesn't block again.
[/quote]
Kate, i am pleased Max had some thing to eat, my vet said its safe for Phoebe to take Periactin , as long as needed . I told him i dont want to keep her for too long because i need to find the reason why she stops eating, but TBH right now is doing wonders and she is eating and feeling better and taking her med for CRF and HT, she is on 1/2 tab twice a day and for now i am not going to stop it . My vet assured me it wont do any harm and even said he treats a cat which has CRF and is been on Periactin for over a year now and doing well!
The problem i have with Phoebe is her other meds and because i have to hide them in treats i cant afford for her to have only dry, and that's what she was doing in last 3 weeks just a bit of dry but since tuesday she is eating normal and doesn't look too miserable, but still yowling? I also know even on Priactin she may stop again as she did 2 weeks ago ! I hope  Max start having proper meals soon , how about if you give him just 1/2 tab in one go instead of 1/4 twice a day, till  1/4 may not be strong enough but check with your vet. If he says yes and you want to continue till Max get his appetite back i can just put few in post for you, to save you the trip to the vet.
Sending more good vibes for Max and i hope he start feeling better soon. x

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2009, 17:05:02 PM »
God Bless the Periactin. Having vomited a tiny bit of sardines in jelly that he licked at lunchtime, he's now eaten a little plate of k/d and about 10 of his dry biccies. I decided to leave out some familiar food as long as he was having wet too. I hope to use the periactin to wean him on to k/d (wish me luck....) but at least he seems happier too. He went into the bedroom and didn't hide, he sat on the ledge that Swampy fell off in september for his accident. It's the only place with any sun all summer in poxy flat. He's now gone to sleep with Swampy's head on his, too.

Anyone know how many days you can safely give periactin for? Does it just work on the brain? He's on 1/4 or maximum 1/2 once p.d and I have 2 tablets. My vet said it isn't safe for 'too long' and tends to work 'straight away but not for long' whatever that means. Anyhow please send prayers and vibes that Max will now eat and be happier. He's only eaten a little, but that's better than nothing even if he won't eat later. He's still not visiting the tray nearly as much as I would expect him to, seems to have gone back to his twice a day that the locum was worried about, so hope he doesn't block again.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2009, 16:08:10 PM »
Hey Kate I would get him in to see the locum - his case isn't as complicated as Swampy's,  Save you worrying and being anxious which is not good for him, as you and I both know well.  Did you speak to the vet about Zylkene?  It has worked really well for some cats (Leanne has had great success with it) although it wasn't strong enough for Charlie.  Please please try not to be anxious (says she who has anxiety levels that would explode the earth given half a chance) because I have seen it with Charlie, it does affect them. 

Will pm y ou later but sending big hugs for you, Max and Swampy (plus your OH of course HAPPY BIRTHDAY S)  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »
He was in quite a good mood very early and ate a 1/4 plate of sardines in jelly but since then he's got miserable again. He hid under the bed and I had to drag him out for a cuddle. Now he is in bed with Swampy but isn't asleep. I've just given him 1/4 tab periactin as the vet says he must eat. I don't know how long it takes to work, but what we don't know is if it's his kidneys making him feel ill and mizz or if it's behavioural. He has a history of nervous behaviour but has never been this bad, so I tend to think the main reason must be physical.

but he walked around this morning too. What is odd is he only has been 3 times since 3pm yesterday to pee despite all the fluids. He's not going to the tray and aborting so don't think he's blocked. Just utterly fed up.
I was hoping to see the vet today but he couldn't. He's not there until wed, there will be a locum.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2009, 11:14:35 AM »
How is Max this morning? SEnding more good vibes for him. x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2009, 08:34:58 AM »
Poor Max he does sound off it, maybe a trip back to the vets if you doesn't perk up - I hope he does  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2009, 03:14:08 AM »
More positive vibes coming to you both~~~~~Hope he picks up soon!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2009, 23:38:31 PM »
This is so sad but I know I rushed Kocka to the vets one night as an emergency doing just what Max is doing and she ended up in hospital for about a week. She was on a drip and I cant remember what else they gave her, they initially suspected she had Feline Aids, cant remember what that translates to in initials....FIV?............She was puit in isolation away from other cats but she did not have anything wrong they could find and it was catalogued as a blood infection. Guess she was given antibiotics,

She came home fine after a week of me visiting her every night and all the staff falling in love .........I do hope they can help Max  :hug:

This is a long time ago, probabaly 10 years plus for Kocka and medicine and knowledge has moved on and if full bloods are not showing anything sinister, then I think its time they got some expert advice............they can contact Bristol University and get advice from there.

I know that my vet got advice for Franta but she also has a lot of contacts that she trained with at Cambridge.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2009, 23:24:29 PM »
I think Max is very ill. He is unresponsive and just lies there. The only time he moves is if I try to take food to him -he moves out of bed to avoid it. I am going to phone the vet in the morning. He is always frantic on a saturday but I can't leave Max like this all weekend. I don't know what to do. He had sub cuts as well but since he got home at 3, he's only been up to the tray once as well. He went into the bedroom once, when the lounge door was open, and hid under the bed. I just don't know how to help him. Has anyone got any ideas please?

Please send him prayers and vibes. I just don't know what is wrong and nor does the vet.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2009, 21:13:53 PM »
He might be upset because he has been to the vet's?  I hope it is just that and that he will soon decide to eat.  How worrying it is Come on Max  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2009, 21:09:08 PM »
He won't eat. All he's eaten since 8.30 this morning is a tablespoon when he came home at 3, then a teaspoon of food tonight. I just have to leave food down and see if he eats anything overnight (doubtful). He also went to hide under the bed again. I am at the end of my tether with him. He's had so much love and cuddles and attention but whatever I try, he won't help himself.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2009, 17:16:26 PM »
Doesn't sound too bad Kate, glad nothing sinister.  Just day by day remember:)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2009, 16:47:24 PM »
Glad to hear he's home and things are sounding a bit more positive  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2009, 16:18:19 PM »
He's home. Still not eating too much. Vet told me he can only see 2 areas of possible calcification in one kidney and abdomen, but not much else, so we just have to see how he goes in the next week or two and react to symptoms. There were 3 dogs in today so Max was a bit jumpy, although they did try to keep him separate from them. Apparently he sat and got scanned without moving so no need for any sedation. He said no to periactin as it's not great for high kidney values, only if he stops eating basically. He has to have bloods in another 10 days or 2 weeks unless he is still poorly, in which case sooner.

He had more fluids so I hope he's not going to block again. Vet told me there's an enormous poo waiting to come out! No sign of it - Max is tray avoiding so may have to lactulose him if it doesn't appear by tonight! (sorry  :sick:).
I'm relieved that there's no obvious mass or anything. It's so nice to have my littly back too. He curled up with me at first, but now has moved to his bed with Swampy which is great, as Swampy and him need each other.
thanks for all the vibes  :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:37 PM »
Thinking of you and Max. :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2009, 10:25:56 AM »
yes I add water to his food too. I'm going to see if they can give him lots of sub cut fluids maybe tomorrow too, to last him the weekend. I haven't dared have a coffee this morning as Max is going in in 1 hour's time.
Today he ate not too badly and had a little drink but his tray visit was with lots of howling still.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2009, 09:50:55 AM »
Thinking of you all today

Would Max eat wet food with water added, this is the only way we can get water into Jess.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2009, 07:38:23 AM »
Lots of positive healing vibes for Max and Swampy  and  :hug: for you,hope you manage to coax Max to have some food today
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2009, 07:11:53 AM »
Topping up the vibes for you and Max for today, Kate.   :care:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2009, 23:31:41 PM »
Loads of good vibes for max  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2009, 20:30:02 PM »
I did, but he said let's wait and see. tonight Max ate a few little bits of ham, but won't touch i/d, won't get up to drink, isn't visiting the tray, just wants to lie there sleeping. It's hours since his last tray visit or meal and even in the last few days he'd have been up and about.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2009, 18:04:44 PM »
Sending good vibes for Max and  :hug: for you. Did you ask your vet about periactin?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2009, 17:02:57 PM »
Max goes in tomorrow at 11.30am for his scan and X ray. His urine sample was better than the one taken on monday night. No crystals and no blood. He's had loads of fluids. I have to find a wet food he will eat too, as he's on my secret stash of old formula i/d but I only have a couple of months worth.
The vet warned me that the scan or X ray would only show up any masses that were sufficiently large and so a clear scan or X ray only means there is nothing there if Max gets and stays better. Anyhow he says he should be able to do it all without sedation as Max just sits still at the vet. I will be a nervous wreck - more than normal - tomorrow. Please send the little furry beloved neurotic some excellent vibes for good news  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2009, 10:35:51 AM »
thanks everyone. I am taking him soon for more sub cut fluids and they do seem to be helping him. I'll suggest the zylkene, good idea.
It's also good to know that someone else's oldie does some digging and howling before going! will post later if have any news  :hug: xx to everyone

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2009, 08:36:23 AM »
Fingers crossed they can get to the bottom of it.  Although you have tried to keep things as normal as possible, don't forget, like me and Charlie, Max will pick up on your anxiety re Swampy.  Maybe some Zylkene might help him?  Anyway see what the vet says  :hug:

Great minds think alike  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 08:09:29 AM »
Fingers crossed they can get to the bottom of it.  Although you have tried to keep things as normal as possible, don't forget, like me and Charlie, Max will pick up on your anxiety re Swampy.  Maybe some Zylkene might help him?  Anyway see what the vet says  :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2009, 07:43:23 AM »
Fingers crossed
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2009, 02:42:25 AM »
Sending positive vibes for darling Max~~~~~~and for yourself!  Good Luck!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2009, 23:41:47 PM »
Sending Max good vibes for tomorrow. :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2009, 22:56:44 PM »
With regard to using the tray, Eddie my old boy(17 1/2 ) does that ,he will go to the trya scratch around for a couple of mins then start miaowing  and walk away, then 5 mns later goes back and uses it so try not to worry about that so much,im sending you lots of positive healing and calming vibes for all of you but especially for Max  and good luck for the vets tomorrow ,do hope they can sort him out, and try and get some rest :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2009, 22:29:31 PM »
Swampy is so much easier as a patient than Max. He also tries so hard to help himself, it's awe inspiring. Max just collapses in a nervous heap, no matter how hard we try with him. Tonight we tried everything - ham (finally ate a little), yoghurt, cuddles galore, brush him (he loves that), took him on the landing and played with him, all brought purrs, then he goes to the door and yells and yells so he can be let through to go and sit under the bed and hide. He's always been a nervous cat. In CT he peed all over everything in our house because we had dogs living next door. The vet had basically said there was nothing more she could do, he was so miserable. Then we moved and he was fine. NOTHING has changed in the way I treat both him and Swampy since september. Max was so happy that I was sleeping in the lounge with him and was home such a lot. He was fatter than ever and so contented. From April this started to change. He stopped eating much and has lost quite a lot of weight (300g since early April and 700g since fat happy Max in Jan).

I assume that he's really nervy because he isn't feeling well, but the vet said if the scan or x ray don't find anything, the whole thing could be caused by stress or nerves. I fall over myself to make sure he gets love and attention, but nothing seems good enough.  He hasn't really eaten since a very little plate of ham earlier, just a nibble of the i/d. He goes back for more sub cut fluids in the morning. He tends to be a bit better for a few hours after the fluids. I don't know if it's the fluids or being home from a stressy vet visit that perks him up. The fluids are supposed to last 24 hours in him.

he's been to the tray, but first of all he goes, doesn't squat but scratches the litter for a minute, sings loudly, then walks out, then goes back in within a couple of minutes and pees. It is all just so weird and very tiring.
Please send vibes and prayers that he improves, including his mood. thanks for being here for him  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2009, 21:54:33 PM »
Try to remain calm Kate and positive,i know thats easy to say but it wont do either you or Max and Swampy any good if they pick up on your stress and most of all never give up hope, you,ve done marvellous with Swampy all this time and i know you will do whats best for Max to help him through this too and we are all here for you all the time :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 12:46:04 PM »
 :hug: thanks. I hope they come down. His creatinine was over 400 and urea over 20, way way higher than April when he last had bloods. I just feel like wailing with both of them fading on me at once.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 11:47:28 AM »
Its likely those readings will come down once the fluids have worked through and the meds have a chance to work, they do spike alarmingly during/following a blockage, but thats usually temporary.  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 10:29:21 AM »
the bloods are scary. His urea, creatinine and something else (aly - kidney marker) are sky high. The vet says it's consistent with a blockage blood reading but he's given him more sub cuts, then tomorrow if all is ok he goes in for more, then friday likewise but also to have an xray or maybe a scan too. Looks like Max will have to have sub cuts so I will have to learn how.
I have to go to an appointment, will post later. thanks for the support, it's all such a shock  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2009, 10:14:33 AM »
Good Luck at the vets!  :Luv: :hug:

Link to CatChat