Author Topic: RIP baby Max: PLEASE READ UPDATE THREAD  (Read 73272 times)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
 :hug: :hug:
give Max a gentle  :care: from Me
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Big snuggley PPprrrrffpppppttts!  for you and the lovely boys this morning.   :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Cats do so much better when their slaves visit them and hope that Max is showing some improvement with his results........lots of cuddles to him  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Try to stay positive, hope things are better with the results tomorrow and the little man can stay at home after the weekend.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
When I visited Max this evening I asked the vet if it was acute or chronic and he said a flare up of CRF caused by the blockage. I didn't get to ask him all the questions but it was so good to see Max, he sat on my lap and got combed for an hour, then he ate nearly a whole little can of Applaws. They were trying to get him to eat Purina NF so I told them if they want to try renal, at least try k/d as he knows that one. If all goes to plan, he will be discharged at noon on saturday with a big dose of sub cut fluids, then possibly re-admitted next week. No-one is there on sunday. Tomorrow he will have bloods done again in house so we can compare them with yesterday's nasty readings. He is doing well on the IV, just what happens when he comes off. I am trying to be positive. At least he seems to be coping better with hospital than I thought but he does enjoy a visit and a good cuddle.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Sending lots of vibes for Max  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
does anyone know of any drugs for acute? The vet is treating with the drip and last week sub cuts as says fluids is the only thing to do

Kate have a look at the info on acute on the feline crf site, there are links to papers as well so there might be something on there that will be useful. http://www.felinecrf.org/links_and_resources.htm#acute_renal_failure . From what I've read, coming through the initial crisis, which Max has done, despite having still very high kidney values, brings hope of full recovery of most or all renal function, although it does say some cats are left with CRF.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Sounds like he's feeling not too bad.  Hope it continues and he can come home soon  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
thanks  :hug:

He was quite perky and had a purr. He wouldn't eat any i/d but it was yesterday's can (i should know better!) but he ate a little Applaws. I think they are repeating the in house test every day. I took him the fleece blanket off the futon bed and he was lying on that when I left. We miss him so much, he always has so much to say in lots of different voices (some cute, some dreadful). He's been put on Kaminox. Also, he wasn't on the drip as the bag was empty but they were waiting to see what the vet wants him on before refilling it. He seemed pleased to see me though. I was certainly pleased to see him.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
oh Kate, more love and hugs from us  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Your vet should give him the right drugs for his condition so I wouldnt worry too much about that, hope he's nice and perky when you go visit today, give him a cuddle from me please  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
does anyone know of any drugs for acute? The vet is treating with the drip and last week sub cuts as says fluids is the only thing to do as there is no option of dialysis.  I know a friend's sister had acute kidney failure and had cortico steroids but obviously that's a person. Why I'm so scared is he had sub cuts last week and of course is now on a drip and the numbers still went up. I'm going in to see Max shortly for a quick visit, to see if I can get him to eat. Then will go in properly this afternoon.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Fingers crossed the vet can find something that works - if he is thinking acute rather than chronic, there is more of a chance of recovery.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Adding gentle Purrs from Paddy and a gentle hug from me.   :hug: :hug:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Sending lots of get well wishes  and mega healing vibes for Max  :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Sending lots of good wishes for Max  :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
  :hug: :hug:  :hug:  :hug: Everything crossed for a big improvement soon.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
So sorry about the results Kate.  Just try to take it a day at a time, hard I know, he may pull round and he does seem to be doing better than you expected whilst in hospital.  Big hug to you all  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max's in house kidney value results are even worse, despite all the fluids. They are now 520 creatinine and 22 urea.  I am so worried. The in house machine isn't the lab but the urea is only 2 different, so the creatinine is unlikely to be too far off. Last week the lab had his creatinine at 440. The vet says he is concerned because he's had so much fluid, they should improve but we need to see how he is after 7 days or even longer. The blockage seems to have caused a type of acute kidney failure as Max looks fat and happy now - they've moved him to a bigger 'dog' cage and he has his litter tray from when he travelled to France and back in the car, which he used when I was there. He also ate a bit of yoghurt and some Applaws and a nibble of fresh chicken and sat on my lap and purred and walked around the room. It is so hard to believe what the bloods are saying, but of course as soon as he is taken off the drip, he will just go downhill like last weekend.

He will defo be in hospital until saturday, then if he is ok he will come home until monday morning and be re-admitted. I'm just hoping that he doesn't need to be an in patient over the weekend as the surgery is closed so he'd have to go to Vet's Now which would be terrible.  Maybe they can give him a big sub cut on saturday when he is discharged, we'll see.  I lay on the floor and cuddled him though so his morale is better.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 19:31:31 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
 :hug: hope Max is soon well enough to be home

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Topping up the positive vibes for Max and hope hes soon home and lots of happy vibes for Swampy who is missing his brother and hugs for you  :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Topping up with some more get well soon vibes for Maxy  :Luv:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
Oh hunnie I am so sorry that Max is poorly - thinking of you all and sending love, huggles and positive vibes for Max, Swampy and you xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
Kate, you should ask them to put him in bigger cage or pen, they do have the ones for dog on the bottom and there he can have a bigger tray, and maybe a bed to hide in.
I am glad he is eating and sending more good vibes for Max. :hug:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Can you ask for him to go in to the isolation cages if they have any they are a lot bigger and can take a normal tray

Hope things keep looking good

All paws crossed here at the Clan :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
Max ate well when he saw us this morning (we both popped in), a sort of unnatural adrenalin rush type eating, but at least he ate. He'd peed all over my T shirt so had to bring it home and will look for something else that smells of home. He was quite active but it's early days and the vet wants him in until friday or saturday - tbc when he's had more tests. They have given him a blanket to hide under, but what he is really struggling with is the teeny litter tray, which he seems to avoid using (he had to be expressed last night, but did pee overnight and on my T shirt) which is a big problem as he needs to flush his kidneys by weeing a lot. I put in some of his usual litter and he had a scratch but it's tiny compared to what he is used to.  I can only hope he gets used to it.

It was lovely to see him and cuddle him and he purred. I think he does benefit. I'm going back again today at about 4 to stay for as long as I can as Laura is coming to look after Swampy, who is stressed and needs company.  I'm in a sort of suspended animation state where I just focus on please please let Max be better, let his kidneys improve. I'm sure so many people on here know the feeling. Laura helps out at the vet and she said too, it's a shock because he doesn't look ill (but the bloods and urine say otherwise).

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Just catching up on this - so sorry that Max is in hospital  :hug: :hug:  Poor lad.  I can understand how you feel because Jaffa hates being at the vet and you just wish you could explain to them that it's for their own good and there's no need to stress out so much.  I hope he shows some improvement today and can go home soon.  Hugs for Swampy too  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Oh Kate, any news on Max this morning?

I'm sure he was comforted by visits. If Max is stressed could the vets not put a towel over the front of his cage to try and get him to chill out a bit, this worked quite well with Jess.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Thinking of you all and still sending the positive vibes~~~~~~ :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I wasnt on yesterday and am so sorry to hear how bad Max has got. I do hope the vet can sort him out and your visiting will help so much. Loads of good vibes for Max  :hug: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
Kate try not to stress to much as Chrissie says Max is in the best place at the moment and you need to try and get some rest ( not east i know ) and comfort Swampy   whose without his pal tonight, and just remember things always seem worst at night,topping up the positive vibes for all concerned :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Your visits will cheer him up and let him know he is not abandoned.  I am sure the vet and nurses know how to deal with a stressed cat and can, if necessary, give him something to calm him.  He is in the best place, he needs the treatment and you have done the right thing.  I hope you will soon see an improvement and he will be home.  He will probably sleep all night as the stress will have tired  him out, whilst his mummy sits worrying.  Try not to pre empt what he will do.  The fact that he has the energy and enthusiasm to hiss at the nurse he doesn't like seems to indicate he has no way given up.

You take care of Swampy and yourself tonight and try and be as fresh as you can to face another day tomorrow.

We are all behind you, Max and Swampy and there are so many positive thoughts, vibes and loving cyber hugs coming your way they couldn't fail to make an impact.

:hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I'm fretting tonight just thinking of him alone in there. Plus when he moved cage, the heatpad cord didn't reach and the vet wasn't there to put an extension on. I forgot to remind the nurse before I left. It's quite cold tonight and I'm just thinking of my Maxi not being warm enough. He's used to being warm as toast here and it's a comfort, also for his arthritis.

Vet just emailed. He's had to express his bladder which must be stress as he went at least 3x last night at home. Plus he's given him a heatpad and got him to eat a little yoghurt. I can see that his main enemy to get better is just as predicted - stress.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 21:26:49 PM by swampmaxmum »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
 :hug: awww bless hopefully Swampy will sleep lots until his pal is back home and hopefully that will be soon xx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
Im sure Max will be fine once hes seen you and  your sleep shirt will help him settle, im glad to hear hes had some chicken and you got a big purr, thats got to be a good sign and he hopefully will soon feel better and will come home to you and Swampy, try to stay calm and positive and im sure things will be fine, will send lots of positive vibes for Max and Swampy and hugs for you :hug: :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
could you put Max'z blanket by him so he can smell him.

Pleased he is doing ok  xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I spent an hour with Max. At first he was growly and hissy, not at me (at the nurse - she got a big hiss) but in general. I just held him and sat with him and at one point he licked my nose. Anyhow the cage door broke and so the other nurse (who doesn't get hissed at) moved him to another cage. He seemed to much prefer the other cage and ate some fresh chicken pieces out of my hand and actually purred. I took my grot old sleep T shirt and he had his little head on that when I left.  They use a funny sort of pellet cat litter so I hope he's not put off. His neighbour is a huge diabetic cat who seems very sweet but was totally put off by the pellets - I watched her try her tray a few times before deciding no!
I am going back for 10 mins tonight to give him his cystease and a lick of some yoghurt, then I don't know if I will be able to see him before tomorrow afternoon. Laura is coming to Swampy sit tomorrow morning as I have to go out, then she says she can do another hour or so in the afternoon so I will go back at 4-ish to see my boy.
I feel we both got a lot out of it. Getting a purr was very special. He has got "very scared" on his notes and it seems the locum had to try both front paws before getting the drip in..but the main vet will be back tomorrow.

MM will pm you later on when I've been back. Swampy is unsettled and turning when he walks, which is stress, but right now I can hear snores.

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
once he sees you he will perk up and know he's not been left  :hug:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
He is bound to be quiet and subdued Kate he is scared and not feeling well.  He will feel much better when he sees his mummy.  Is it Laura cat sitting for you?  Hope he perks up when he sees his mum and hope the Swampster settlesxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
I can't get Swampy to settle for long (predictable). Luckily the nurse on duty will just let me through at whatever time I can get there.  I have managed to find a catsitter to sit with Swampy tomorrow when I go out and when I visit Max.  I hope Swampy gets used to being on his own quite quickly.
The vets nurse says Max is very quiet and subdued. I'm going to go for an hour or so and cuddle him and take him some yoghurt.

Link to CatChat