Author Topic: Has anyone tried any of these cat litters?  (Read 20372 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Has anyone tried any of these cat litters?
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2009, 20:35:28 PM »
I tried nappy sack but find the big bags so much easier to use - especially with Clapton's wee boulders  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2009, 19:51:15 PM »
I use the basics sainsburys nappy sacks, they are scented and cost about 28p for 100

Ditto for me. 28p it was when I bought 3 bags I don't know how long ago, still on bag 2.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2009, 13:07:04 PM »
I use the basics sainsburys nappy sacks, they are scented and cost about 28p for 100

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2009, 13:01:34 PM »
I get 100  nappy sacks for not much more than that  ;D  They are fine for most litter, it's just that if I'm a bit slack at  cleaning out the tray  :-[ and there are several wees in it, they aren't strong enough for the clay clumps and sometimes split so that I have to double bag.  Which rather reduces the saving.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2009, 10:30:26 AM »
I find the medium food bags from Wilkinsons the best - 14p for 20 - they are huge so easy to get the used litter in without any spills and big enough to tie up without fiddling.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2009, 10:21:08 AM »
The experiment is going ok and I nearly have all oko in the tray.  I now need to use up the remaining clean and tidy though so won't be using all oko for a while.  I can't, therefore, judge it properly until that's all I have in the tray.  Jaffa has been a bit unsure but he is using it.  I still don't like the pee puddles I get when they don't cover or use the sides (it doesn't soak in like it does with the clay clumping).  Just looks a bit gross and I wonder how the cats feel about using the tray when it's like that.  Obv I cover it before scooping, but I can't do that when I'm not there.  I like the fact that it is lighter than clay - I can use the cheap nappy sacks which sometimes gave way under the weight of clay clumps!  Tracking is terrible and I'm forever hoovering (not a bad thing though I guess!).  I have bought a 2nd bag from PAH and am going to order a 40L bag from zooplus, so I am committed to giving it a thorough trial!  Then I'll decide whether to stick with it.

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2009, 11:32:56 AM »
We're still loving the OKO.  My Mum says that she gets one from CostCo which sounds similar and is apparently going to pick a carton up for me next time she goes.  No idea what it's called or what it's like for tracking (her cat hasn't used her tray in over 6 months now) but I'll post about it when I get it.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #109 on: July 06, 2009, 10:16:57 AM »
Jaffa wees against the side of the tray too and he also does walky wees  :shify: so leaves long, thin clumps!
 ;D

So far so good though.  I've got about a 50:50 ratio now of clean and tidy and oko.  Not keen on the tracking and obv can't tell how well it clumps when I have it mixed in with the other stuff (I just get clay clumps with bits of oko in them).  Seems an imrovement odour wise though so that must be down to the oko.  It also seems to be lasting well as I've only topped up with the oko but the bag seems to be lasting longer than a similar size bag of clay clumping tends to.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2009, 19:29:29 PM »
Molly likes to wee against the side of the tray though, so I dont think it clumps as well with her wees as it should. I currently have OKO upstairs and Clean and Tidy downstairs, and the Clean and Tidy is clumping better out of the two, I dont know what difference there is in the girls wee's, but the clumps do break very easily. I will persevere though as Zia doesn't get as much on the floor as she does with Clean and Tidy.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2009, 18:20:52 PM »
I think my cats should come to yours for lessons Gillian, I dont know how they wee but I couldnt just use a spoon, it has to be a scoop. I havne't changed litter scoops though.

Its a huge spoon - a big serving type spoon, not an ordinary dessert spoon, its perfect for scooping, even with big wees like Sam does!  ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
I think my cats should come to yours for lessons Gillian, I dont know how they wee but I couldnt just use a spoon, it has to be a scoop. I havne't changed litter scoops though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2009, 18:06:08 PM »
Zooplus have not got my usual litter in stock. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried Hemp Cat Litter Concentrate. There is not a lot of info about it on zooplus.
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/ecological_litter/29987
Many thanks in advance.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2009, 16:20:16 PM »
Don't think I could tip the tray and scoop at the same time - I need both hands to tip the tray as it's on the big side and consequently rather heavy when full of litter!  Suppose it will be a bit lighter full of oko compared with the clumping clay.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2009, 13:46:31 PM »
No, thats the whole point, the spoon just picks up the clump. Tip the tray away from the clump and voila!  ;)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2009, 13:43:36 PM »
But surely you scoop up some unclumped litter along with the clumps?

I have about 4 inches of litter in total  ;D but obv a lot of it is the clean and tidy and only a small amount is oko.  Both my boys, but Jaffa in particular, tend to go at the edge of the tray and Jaffa doesn't cover.  So it sort of sits on top in a soggy puddle  :sick:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2009, 13:17:53 PM »
I use a large metal spoon to scoop, its all you need to just scoop the clump of wee - theres no point  having those slotted scoops, you don't actually want any litter to drop back through, and all you pick up with a spoon is the clump. I think you are finding its pooling because you havent got much in there.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2009, 13:10:54 PM »
I agree re tracking - it seems to get everywhere and the pieces are large so you can't ignore them   :evillaugh:

Yup - even I can't ignore large beige pieces on a plain, dark green carpet  ;D  It's not too bad so far tbh though with most of the tracking being near the tray.  The mat catches a fair bit.  They are still a bit wary of it but are using the tray so fingers crossed they will be ok with it and I can give it a proper trial.  I added some more last night so the proportion of oko is increasing.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »
My scoops are the 49p ones from PAH - my £9 ones for clay clumping litter are redundant  :tired:

I know it tracks as I shampooed the landing and stairs yesterday but found bits of litter on my spotless carpet this morning.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2009, 11:39:31 AM »
I agree re tracking - it seems to get everywhere and the pieces are large so you can't ignore them   :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2009, 14:22:42 PM »
Well I bought some oko in PAH yesterday.  I put some in the tray last night (added a bit more than I intended) and Mosi was very unsure and took 3 investigations of it before he would condescend to wee on it.  They are using the tray ok but I'm finding that if they don't cover (and Jaffa doesn't) you get soggy puddles and the litter just looks like soggy bits of paper.  Of course, I cover it with the scoop before I scoop it up, but it looks pretty gross when I first take the lid off the tray.  Of course, I only have a small proportion of oko in the tray at the moment so most of the litter is clean and tidy, so I can't get an accurage picture of how well it will work when I have only oko in the tray.  Another thing that's puzzling me is what scoops do you lot use?  I dont' have a litter scoop with holes large enough to allow unused pieces of oko to fall through.  I can just about manage with the largest one, but some pieces dont' fall through.  Usually I scoop up with that and then go over the litter with a smaller scoop to get up any small bits of soiled litter that have slipped through the scoop.

Jaffa is giving me that "what was wrong with the other stuff?" rather puzzled look but he is using the tray so I guess they will get used to it.  The tracking is already driving me mad.  I'm used to having litter all over the carpet  :-[ but somehow tiny grains are easier to ignore than large beige coloured pieces!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2009, 11:50:24 AM »

I've settled for Clean n Tidy (the pink one).  Although, yes, it does track a bit, it's easy to brush up quickly each time I do the litter and that seems to prevent it spreading through the house.  Otherwise, it's nice on the cats' paws, it clumps beautifully, and best of all it doesn't ever stink.  In fact, it smells vaguely pleasant, even if it's been well-used.  It may not be the cheapest but it seems to go a long way.
[/quote]

I find the Cats Best OKO Plus easier to sweep up than the Clean and Tidy - I have carpet in my room. i am going to use the rest of the Clean and Tidy with Sam and Kizzy and see how htey cope - last time I had it in the kitchen, it was with a blind foster, so i couldnt complain about sweeping twice a day.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2009, 20:42:21 PM »
Many thanks Millys Mum  ;D Some great points there hon. I am very happy with Cats Best Gold. I think am i just gonna stick to that till i find somewhere local for the chick crumb( been looking for a while woth no luck)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2009, 20:33:53 PM »
Worlds best is more expensive and although lasts longer i find it gets an odour quicker than cats best so for me it would get changed more often. It also turns to dusty flour with enthusiastic diggers!
If you wish to try it then get some chick crumb instead, same thing but much much cheeper ( :evillaugh:)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2009, 09:46:14 AM »
I use Clean n Tidy, but I would say it is a clay litter, although finer than the ones I have used in the past. I like it, but as it is fine, Zi scatters it very well, and I am thinking of trying something else this weekend as am fed up of walking on litter an hour after hoovering - and that is in a covered tray (but with no door, as Mol wont use it then) - cost wise I think it is good.

I've settled for Clean n Tidy (the pink one).  Although, yes, it does track a bit, it's easy to brush up quickly each time I do the litter and that seems to prevent it spreading through the house.  Otherwise, it's nice on the cats' paws, it clumps beautifully, and best of all it doesn't ever stink.  In fact, it smells vaguely pleasant, even if it's been well-used.  It may not be the cheapest but it seems to go a long way.

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2009, 22:53:17 PM »
I was thinking of giving it a try while PAH have that free delivery offer on. I love Cats Best Nature Gold  ;D
The eyes belong to Lacie Blue my Snow Spotted Bengal  ;D I love taking photos  ;)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2009, 22:49:05 PM »
I would say it actually does last longer. Its much finer grained than Cats Best.

Loving those blue eyes in your sig!  :Luv:

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2009, 22:42:20 PM »
Any opinions on Worlds Best V Cats best? I haven't tried Worlds best before but am intersested in how it compares.
Is it much the same....just more expensive?
Would it last any longer than Cats Best?
Any tracking issues?
Many thanks in advance.

I like World's Best - it doesnt track as much as Cats Best I found. Its just that much more expensive unfortunately.  :)
Thanks honi. So you wouldn't say it lasts any longer?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 22:43:25 PM by Mollyrock »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2009, 22:38:16 PM »
Any opinions on Worlds Best V Cats best? I haven't tried Worlds best before but am intersested in how it compares.
Any tracking issues?
Many thanks in advance.

I like World's Best - it doesnt track as much as Cats Best I found. Its just that much more expensive unfortunately.  :)

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2009, 21:28:19 PM »
Any tracking issues?
Many thanks in advance.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2009, 09:20:19 AM »
I find the OKO to be of best value. I bought 3 bags (10 litre bags) in January, shortly after adopting Capone, and only finished the last bag about 2 weeks ago. I find it so good because you can fill it really deep and just keep scooping out the bad bits and occassionally top up.

Because Capone is now going out (into a catproofed area), I've put the litter trays outside on the decking. So the tracking is not a problem.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:21:12 AM by tigerbaby »
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2009, 08:11:41 AM »
i haven't seen a Jollyes unfortunately, must do a store search as that would save me £3 and it would be easier to store.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2009, 20:24:26 PM »
It's worth it though, spacewise. It's easier to store a 40l bag than 4 10l ones in my small pantry, so will be making a trip out there next week.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2009, 20:21:34 PM »
From Zooplus? Now I am happy with it, I will happily buy in larger quantities. Must finish the clean and tidy though!!

Do you have a Jollyes near you? They do the 40l bags for £24.99

The OKO Plus? Wow, must go there then as I can only get mine at PAH and though its economical to use would like to stock up.

Yep, Oko plus.  Only saves a few pounds from the 10l price x4 but every little helps and Jollyes is closer for me anyway  :)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2009, 20:09:23 PM »
From Zooplus? Now I am happy with it, I will happily buy in larger quantities. Must finish the clean and tidy though!!

The OKO Plus? Wow, must go there then as I can only get mine at PAH and though its economical to use would like to stock up.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2009, 20:02:10 PM »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2009, 19:59:30 PM »
Iv not looked around for best price 40l as dont use that much of it

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2009, 19:57:21 PM »
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2009, 19:49:36 PM »
Thanks Mollyrock  :wow:

Desley, if you buy the 40l bag you will save a few pounds

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2009, 13:54:27 PM »
What is the best price on it, I paid £6.99 for 10l in PAH.

Whoops. I meant to also say that I think that is average. There are a couple of places a little cheaper online, but it works out dearer with postage.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2009, 13:52:55 PM »
I found clean and tidy to be awful! I was really impressed at first but it tracked like CRAZY!!!!  :doh: I was just sick to death of finding it EVERYWHERE!!!!

I'll be going back to cats best I think!

Do they sell nature's gold at PAH? I don't think I've ever seen that one.

Link to CatChat