Author Topic: Has anyone tried any of these cat litters?  (Read 20374 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Has anyone tried any of these cat litters?
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 23:34:27 PM »
I am definitely a Bio Catolet fan,  have tried many others but always go back to Bio Catolet,  it is not clumping but you can easily remove 'solids' and being paper pellets the liquid gets soaked up very well,  the best thing about Bio Catolet is that the cats dont walk it all over the house,  it is good for the environment (recycled newspaper which is compostable) and it controls odours well.  Having said all that I have 10 cats and now only the 2 kittens use the litter and I change the whole thing every day so a big bag £8.99 one (sorry cant remember size and I am at work) lasts me about 12 days.

If you haven't tried cats best oko, I recommend it as it is soft wood pellets so you can remove the wee cumps so the litter is always clean where wee isn't left in until the next change - I wouldn't use anything else. It does track a bit but nothing that a quick hoover won't fix. On a hard floor, even easier. The dustpan & brush they sell in PAH is excellent as the bristles are really soft and the edge of the pan is silicon that goes to a point - they really sweep well and only £1.29  ;D

The litter lasts ages as you don't have to change in once or twice a week. Over time, bits stick to the sides. You can empty the litter into something else and put it back. After a few weeks, I let it run down then change. So basically a bag lasts a month or so for £6.99. I have 5 trays and only use about 3 bags a month. Initially you use a lot but then it's just a case of topping up really.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 17:17:38 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 23:20:16 PM »
Put the first of the new litter in the tray (mixed in with the old so won't get a true picture of how it performs for some time) so will see how I get on with it.  It looks identical to golden grey, except maybe slightly larger grains.  I hope it performs well because with the recent price hikes on zooplus, the golden grey works out more expensive.

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2009, 08:43:02 AM »
I am definitely a Bio Catolet fan,  have tried many others but always go back to Bio Catolet,  it is not clumping but you can easily remove 'solids' and being paper pellets the liquid gets soaked up very well,  the best thing about Bio Catolet is that the cats dont walk it all over the house,  it is good for the environment (recycled newspaper which is compostable) and it controls odours well.  Having said all that I have 10 cats and now only the 2 kittens use the litter and I change the whole thing every day so a big bag £8.99 one (sorry cant remember size and I am at work) lasts me about 12 days.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 23:36:22 PM »
I've bought some of this too. I got the multi cat one, after spending 15 mins trying to decide.  :-[

I must say I'm impressed so far. It really is good smell wise and so far not much has left the tray on their paws.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 19:01:04 PM »
I went into a new PAH near one of the places I work and bought an 'ultra clumping' litter i'd not heard about before, hang on will look for al ink - its alot similar to chick crumb and NO SMELL at all! I actually have to keep reminding myself to check for lumps cause I don't get any kind of warning pong when anyones been (even 'trude and she normally does some stinkers!) It was £4.99 a bag and I think I am a convert.

ooh here it is! http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-1+cat/category-is-1j+litter+and+accessories/category-is-1j01+litter/product-is-V00334

Just been to PAH and bought a bag of this to try as I've ran out of Golden Grey.  Good price for 7kg so we will see what it is like.  Not the easiest thing to carry home on the bus, mind  :shify:  I bought the multicat one as my boys share a tray so I think that counts as heavy use.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2009, 15:59:13 PM »
I've just bought a 40L sack of Oko plus so will stick with that for a while, it hurt paying £25 for a sack of litter when I'm used to paying £10 for a sack of chick crumbs the same size  :doh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2009, 10:44:37 AM »
I use Clean n Tidy, but I would say it is a clay litter, although finer than the ones I have used in the past. I like it, but as it is fine, Zi scatters it very well, and I am thinking of trying something else this weekend as am fed up of walking on litter an hour after hoovering - and that is in a covered tray (but with no door, as Mol wont use it then) - cost wise I think it is good.
Please spay your cat

Pocababs

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 18:01:30 PM »
I have just started using the Clean N Tidy and it's brilliant, i use it in our litter robots, great clumping and virtually no smells, not bad for 7 cats  :innocent:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 13:16:01 PM »
There are three different types for different life stages? I didn't really understand why but bought the adult one, not sure if the different types are of different consistencies but they are all ultra clumping  ;D

It is actually clay based but you can hardly tell as it's just like sand. In terms of the lifestages, the kitten one has a scnt to it that encourages them to use it, the adult is the normal one and then there's another one for high-usage trays. I personally found them much of a muchness apart from the different smells.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 13:07:30 PM »
It seems more like the crumb than clay to me as its a finer material.. unless it is very fine clay... not like the typical clay litter. (I am at a loss how to explain!)

Ah, ok, I've got to go to PAH this aft, so I'll have a look - oh I love browsing the cat litters - I am a sad person LOL! :evillaugh:

Awaiting your update  :wow: Once I've found a litter that: Doesn't smell, lasts ages, doesn't track, doesn't coat everything else in the room in a cloud of dust, clumps well isn't and isn't expensive I'll be happy  :evillaugh:

And they will make a mint from the lot of us!  :evillaugh:

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 13:05:36 PM »
 :evillaugh: you can hopefully describe better than I can if you are a litter Connoisseur!
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 13:04:50 PM »
It seems more like the crumb than clay to me as its a finer material.. unless it is very fine clay... not like the typical clay litter. (I am at a loss how to explain!)

Ah, ok, I've got to go to PAH this aft, so I'll have a look - oh I love browsing the cat litters - I am a sad person LOL! :evillaugh:

Awaiting your update  :wow: Once I've found a litter that: Doesn't smell, lasts ages, doesn't track, doesn't coat everything else in the room in a cloud of dust, clumps well isn't and isn't expensive I'll be happy  :evillaugh:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 12:52:46 PM »

I dubiously tried it but really really like it - it is supposed to be 99% dust free according to packaging - with other litters our lot can get dusty paws easy with two of them being black kitties and I haven't noticed this with the new litter.

There are three different types for different life stages? I didn't really understand why but bought the adult one, not sure if the different types are of different consistencies but they are all ultra clumping  ;D

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »
Is it a clay litter though Dawn? you said it was like chick crumbs, but the pic on the bag looks grey to me - like clay litter? If its the one I've seen at shows its a clay type.

Everclean cat litter is really good (also a clay litter) very fine, sandy like. I used that before changing to Cats Best, because I read on Dr Addie's site that it was good at killing coronavirus. http://www.rlpetproducts.co.uk/products_03.php?m=1&s=2 bit expensive though.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 12:30:44 PM »
What's it like for dust Dawn? That's why I've given crumb the flick - for the tracking and the dust although it's great in every other way.  Oko plus still tracks badly but has hardly any dust so it's in the lead!

It's a sand-like substrate so not actually any dust and it doesn't really track either. Clumps well.... others on here weren't keen if I recall but I thought it was  a good product. Doesn't last nearly as long as the Cats best though which is why I changed as I wanted something that was a bit better value for money.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 12:22:49 PM »
I went into a new PAH near one of the places I work and bought an 'ultra clumping' litter i'd not heard about before, hang on will look for al ink - its alot similar to chick crumb and NO SMELL at all! I actually have to keep reminding myself to check for lumps cause I don't get any kind of warning pong when anyones been (even 'trude and she normally does some stinkers!) It was £4.99 a bag and I think I am a convert.

ooh here it is! http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-1+cat/category-is-1j+litter+and+accessories/category-is-1j01+litter/product-is-V00334

What's it like for dust Dawn? That's why I've given crumb the flick - for the tracking and the dust although it's great in every other way.  Oko plus still tracks badly but has hardly any dust so it's in the lead!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:23:38 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 12:13:57 PM »
I quite like the Clean and Tidy ultra clumping and used that before I switched to Cats Best. The Cats loved it too so I would probably get it again if they stopped doing cats best. I am a cat's best convert though! Also like World's best although it's very dear (Does last forever though!)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 12:05:37 PM »
Weirdly enough I think Cats Best OKO plus is TERRIBLE at tracking! I got sick of hoovering all the time because of it although I did love it in other ways... we use chick crumb now which doesnt track for us (strange? unless there are different types)

our local jolleys has run out though and apparently not getting any for two weeks! I had to tip the tub upside down to get the very last bit out  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 22:48:57 PM »
I have to say I received 2 parcels today from zooplus .... 45kg bag of royal canin and 2 bags of Nuggies tigerino cat litter (which I like as much as golden grey) and both boxes turned up in perfect condition  ;)

I hated the Nuggies - just didn't clump well.  the clumps broke up as soon as I tried to scoop them :(

Offline Purrlishious

• Distinguished Cat
  • Poppy Ruby Dolly
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 22:13:43 PM »
CHICK CRUMBS is the one that works for my 6. These are natural baby chick cumbs from feed suppliers. It lasts for ages being clumping, no after smell which is brilliant & is lest expensive than it's counter parts.

So many products on the market to choose from.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 22:03:47 PM »
I wouldn't consider anything other than Cats Best - I was raving about it yesterday when I did a homecheck  :evillaugh:

I wouldn't mind trying the cats best gold (pellets) though.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 21:09:26 PM »
Helen, I think you're gonna have to stick with the Cats Best :D I know it's pricey but I findd it works out better cause it lasts so well. I really appreciate the lack of stinkowiffs now too!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 21:03:05 PM »
Sorry never tried any of those, dont use a clumping litter cos dont like them.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 20:48:27 PM »
I have to say I received 2 parcels today from zooplus .... 45kg bag of royal canin and 2 bags of Nuggies tigerino cat litter (which I like as much as golden grey) and both boxes turned up in perfect condition  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 18:56:33 PM »
5L doesn't come close to filling my tray :(  (jaffa and Mosi's tray to be precise.  I don't personally use it)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 18:43:21 PM »
I have virtually run out of golden grey and am still too narked off with zooplus to order again so im using small bags, 5l fills a tray so doesnt last long with all the wees i get  :tired:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 18:37:57 PM »
Sainsburys fine clumping is pretty good but comes in tiny bags  :tired:

They're pretty standard sized 5L bags.  They do seem tiny when you're used to the large bags of Golden Grey though!   I think the sainsbury's is not that good with odour control, but otherwise it's ok.  It's what I tend to use if I run out of Golden Grey.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 18:34:53 PM »
Clean paws is very dark so also not good if you have a bladder cat

Catsan wood, iv never tried but definately not clumping.

Bio catolet -  :sick:

Sainsburys fine clumping is pretty good but comes in tiny bags  :tired:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 18:25:18 PM »
I agree about the catsan ultra clumping, Ruth.  It's not great - sainsburys own brand is pretty much identical but cheaper.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 18:23:42 PM »
I use Oko Plus but couldn't find any on the weekend. Almost bought the Catsan Natural Wood, but its not clumping (that I could see).  So bought as a temp measure the Ultra Clumping Catsan. Its no tracking properties are attractive but I can tell you that it does not disguise smell as much as it says it will.

I still prefer Oko Plus even with tracking they are easy to clean up and Lexy loves it. She can dig for Africa in there.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 18:16:21 PM »
I agree that Pettex is horrible.  Not used if for some time, but I did try it several years ago (it was the only one I could get hold of if I couldn't get my regular litter) and I didn't like it at all.  Not tried the others.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 17:53:14 PM »
Bio catolet  isn't clumping. It's paper pellets. I use it for my rabbit and it works wellfor him but I'd never use it for a cat as I don't think it would work well. It also has a very strong perfume like aroma which I don't like.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 17:50:20 PM »
That'll do for me (you and Mark are the oracle on cat litter  :evillaugh:), Oko Plus it is then...

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 17:34:26 PM »
Pettex is horrible, I tried it after seeing it 'in action' ! at a customer's house. Thought it seemed to clump well, but when I tried it at home, the clumps seemed to crumble and went mushy at the bottom of the tray.

Catsan wood isnt clumping, but is similar 'crumb' size to Cats Best Oko - I tried it thinking it was the same as OKO but cheaper - but realised it didnt clump, so useless!

Bio catolet - dunno, never tried that one!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Has anyone tried any of these cat litters?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 16:49:23 PM »
The boys have always used chick crumb and whilst it is very economical, clumps well, lasts ages, no smell etc I've had enough of the tracking and the dust! I was convinced to try Oko plus cats best, it tracks probably about the same as crumb but as the particles are bigger it's easier to sweep up, it also seems to be a lot less dusty than crumb.

I just popped into Jollyes to get another bag to change the chick crumb tray over, as I only did one tray of Oko Plus, and they had quiet a few different types and was wondering whether anyone has tried any of them. They were all quite  abit cheaper than Oko plus which at £6.79 for a 10L bag or £24.99 for a 40L bag is much more expensive than crumb at £10 for a 20kg sack.

Pettex clean paws - £9.78 for a large 15kg sack (prob equivalent in size to the 40L Oko plus)

Catsan Natural wood - couldn't work out if this was clumping or not, didn't look like wood pellets. 10L £5.49

Bio Catolet - large 25L sack £8.99  - not sure if this is clumping either?

If no-one has anything good to say about the above then I'll probably go with Oko Plus but would be nice to find a cheaper alternative!

Link to CatChat