Author Topic: When is a cat officially missing?  (Read 19857 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: When is a cat officially missing?
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2009, 18:14:22 PM »
You haven't had bad news either, so that is at least something to hang on to - I am so hoping for a happy outcome for you :hug:

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2009, 17:42:48 PM »
Still not a sign of her and no phone call with any possible sightings.  Nothing.  She's just completely vanished.  Advert will be in paper tomorrow, should have been on radio today and planning the next batch of leaflets for weekend. Bitterly cold today with lots of snow so I hope she is safe somewhere.

Karen
x

Don't give up Karen  :hug:
I know you feel that all hope is fading but it has only been a few days (although it feels like lifetime for you)

I know what you are going through....I have been there too
so sending you a hug and the strength to carry on with looking xxx

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2009, 17:38:50 PM »
Still not a sign of her and no phone call with any possible sightings.  Nothing.  She's just completely vanished.  Advert will be in paper tomorrow, should have been on radio today and planning the next batch of leaflets for weekend. Bitterly cold today with lots of snow so I hope she is safe somewhere.

Karen
x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:18 AM »
Sorry about your back Karen, when Smudge went missing I was actually off work with a bad back and I don't know where I got my strength from.  It's so difficult knowing what to do for the best.  My first 7 months of searching was a waste of time etc. because he wasn't in my area.

All cats are different and most of them adapt and we just have to hope and pray.

Good luck.

Mary  :hug:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2009, 09:09:59 AM »
Yes you canno keep looking forever and by the end of the 10 days of Bunty going missing I wasn't going out ever hour godsends but I still kept releafleting and phoning round to double check.

By the end of the 10 days before she had come back everyone around me kept saying "you need to accept she is gone", stuff like that and that kille dme as I would have never accepted that, by the end I was the only one keeping the hope so prepare yourself for things like that people might say as it upset me and made me angry, even when hubby said it.    You know they are only trying to help but I was so raw it just hurt.

Never give up sweetie as if Lily is locked in someones garage and they ar eon holiday a persons holiday ranges from 7 days to 14 days so there is the hope of that.

Also if she is stuck somewhere and people are trying to get her out like in my Poppy's case they are aware she is there but haven't seen your leaflets yet or you haven't covered that area yet.    It only takes 1 leaflet to be seen for them to put 2 and 2 together and call.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 05:12:48 AM »
C'mon Lilly were all rooting for you!!!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2009, 23:48:14 PM »
My heart goes out to you - and of course you cannot go on worrying yourself sick indefinitely. I suppose as time goes on it is less likely Lillie is in the immediate vicinity, but more likely she will turn up in a rescue or vet. And a response to your posters is more likely over a weekend when far more people are about in the daylight hours.

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2009, 23:20:37 PM »
 :hug: :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2009, 23:13:03 PM »
Well, there were more cats out tonight than there has been for last few nights but still no Lilly.  Alarm set for early morning wake up call. I'm more worried about tomorrow if she isn't home as there is a football match on at the local club and it gets very busy.   The cats are always in when football is on because of the traffic and amount of people in the area.   If she is out there on her own then this could make her more frightened.

I'm not giving up hope but the realisation is setting in that I can't do this forever, much as I may want to - my body just won't stand much more (waiting for a third back operation in as many years).  At some point I will have to accept that if there is no response from anything I have done then I  can do no more other than maintain hope of her return. Robbie is still here and is in need of love, cuddles and playing but is being somewhat neglected by the search for Lilly.  I'm in tears as I write that but I have to be practical.  I'm not giving up yet though!!!!  I'm hoping for a nice weekend with lots of people opening sheds and garages and a Lilly coming home!

Off to try and sleep.  Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, you've no idea how much they mean to me.

Karen
x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2009, 22:01:06 PM »
I'm quite happy to go out whatever the weather but with it being so bad I would have presumed she would be holed up somewhere ad wouldn't come out.  I probably wouldn't hear her either.  But will get wrapped up and go. 

I would have thought the same Karen  :hug:  I guess it's worth a try though :grouphug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2009, 22:00:28 PM »
Good luck hun .. take care.  Keeping everything crossed for you.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2009, 21:50:22 PM »
I'm quite happy to go out whatever the weather but with it being so bad I would have presumed she would be holed up somewhere ad wouldn't come out.  I probably wouldn't hear her either.  But will get wrapped up and go. 

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2009, 21:36:08 PM »
My cat Ozzi got locked in the neighbours garage yesterday after she took advantage of the good weather and left the door open, allowing the curious Ozzi to get in. So maybe thats whats happened to Lilly and shes got shut in somewhere, hope she turns up soon :hug: :hug:

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2009, 21:34:21 PM »
Doesn't matter what the weather is like - you need to get out there.  Sorry if I sound harsh but you never know. I know you can't keep looking and shouting every minute - it's just heartbreaking and impossible but if you know where he usually hangs around then go there.

Might he have got in someone's car or work van - have any neighbours had any delivery vans or work vans - cos I'm certain that's how my Smudge got so far away when I found her.

Good luck . :hug:

Mary

You know I was going to say the same as Mary, but didn't want to sound harsh either. I'd walk in snow all night if it meant finding my girl. It's hard and emotionally draining but you need to be heard out there, as often as possible.

Thinking of you.

Lyndsey  :hug:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 21:34:52 PM by Lynds »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2009, 21:23:03 PM »
Doesn't matter what the weather is like - you need to get out there.  Sorry if I sound harsh but you never know. I know you can't keep looking and shouting every minute - it's just heartbreaking and impossible but if you know where he usually hangs around then go there.

Might he have got in someone's car or work van - have any neighbours had any delivery vans or work vans - cos I'm certain that's how my Smudge got so far away when I found her.

Good luck . :hug:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2009, 21:17:13 PM »
Done everything on the list other than the  litter outside (she would never use the litter tray, always went out whatever the weather), something personal outside (weather on the turn but a blanket is planned for as soon as it dries up) and the vacuum cleaner contents (rarely gets used as laminated).  I've had no sightings at all.  Trying to sort an ad out for local paper and our local radio station has a community section that includes lost animals so sent a request to them to mention her.

It's horrible outside toninght, and I'm not entirely sure there is any point to the neighbourhood walk in weather like this.  Even the local kids aren't out being a nuisance!

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2009, 21:07:12 PM »
When my Bunty went missing it was when there were severe floods around the country and she came home safely hunnie.  :hug:

Please do not loose hope, I so know how you are feeling and I use to cry myself to sleep every night but do not loose hope.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2009, 20:32:21 PM »
Have you worked your way through Sam's list?  Any sightings from neighbours at all?  If not then she may well be shut in somewhere, especially considering that she went missing on Sunday.  Have absolutely everything crossed that she'll be home safe and sound as soon as possible  :hug:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2009, 20:24:47 PM »
Still nothing. I guess I should change the title now it's been over 48 hours.  Just when I think I've cried all I can do then something happens to remind me that she isn't here ... like only putting one plate of food out, or Robbie sitting to one side of the food mat.  I keep thinking there must be more I could be doing to find her but I don't know what.

I just hope that she is somewhere warm and dry as the weather is turning bad here and forecast snow tomorrow.  :(

I'm trying to stay positive, I know cats do go off for adventures and return on their own...I just have to hope and pray that she will come home too.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2009, 18:57:36 PM »
Any news?  :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 17:26:49 PM »
I am sorry she isnt back yet  :hug:

do not give up hope xxx

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 14:10:24 PM »
I did my posters on bright coloured paper - may or may not help but it stands out more for people to notice.

Not nice, but keep phoning the council to see if they've picked him up.

Try your very best to think positive and talk to her and tell her to com ehome.

Adverts in newspapers and shops and post offices and supermarkets and outside banks and post offices.

Good luck.

Mary xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 13:07:21 PM »
Oh dear, am gonna have to send a call out I am afraid.

LILYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY come home please your meowmy needs you  :hug: :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 12:52:13 PM »
So sorry nothing yet, while at work abuse the photocopier and print off tons more leaflets hun.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 12:37:49 PM »
I've only just seen this, hope you get some news soon  :hug: x

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
Still nothing. :(  Had to come to work today but will be out and about again later when it goes dark and setting my alarm for an early wake up call.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 10:15:37 AM »
Yes hope there is good news

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2009, 09:44:11 AM »
Any news? I do hope so. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 08:48:11 AM »
Don't forget Dancers Chilli girl. She was missing 4 months then found safe and sound via her chip

sending come home vibes from me and the boys

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 23:07:25 PM »
Will keep everything crossed for her coming home.

Don't give up hope - one of ours went missing for six weeks once.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 22:55:46 PM »
If you have a cat flap, suggest you check that it's swinging OK.  Keeping everything crossed here  :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 22:23:00 PM »
Hi Karen,

I agree with Lyndsey, Can You go out really late at night or even in the middle of the night ? (obv don't go alone, get someone to go with you)

I also agree with the others, dont start putting 2 and 2 together and making 5 as i also think this is just coinsurance

Good luck, we are all thinking of you xx

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 22:08:48 PM »
Hope she comes home soon honey  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 22:06:07 PM »
Sending lots of come home vibes for Lily,s safe return and hugs for you :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 21:26:53 PM »
time you were home now Lilly  :scared:
 :hug:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Lynds

• Adult Cat
  • Izzy
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 20:55:22 PM »
Karen,

If you have the energy, you should please try going out at night. I started at 3am then came home, then went back out at 5.30am and was convinced I heard my girl. I kept looking for another two hours and she was there. As it was so quiet, it was very easy to hear her. I too thought the worst, but I found this motivated me to search even harder for Izzy. She's now lying next to me in bed; she's grounded, but as selfish as it is, I'm delighted to have her home.

Lyndsey x

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 19:02:51 PM »
Still nothing but a lot of goodwill from everyone who has answered the doors.  Didn't take enough leaflets out so got to back - have covered about 70 houses today so hopefully all possible places for her are covered.  A couple of places have a lot of cats around (one has a pond with frogs) so maybe she has moved in there.

I know one thing, I'm knackered and this will do my diet a world of good!  The other cat that went missing is only separated from us by two gardens and we suspect there are some not very cat friendly people around.

Well, off again for the last 7 then that's it for the night - well, other than the late night walk round if she doesn't come back.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 18:51:41 PM »
Sending "go home" vibes to Lily.  I hope she's turned up  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 18:42:17 PM »
A friend of mine's cat went missing for a few days and she went and asked round and it was in a shed so it is worth checking.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 18:38:22 PM »
Just got back from leaflet drop and still no sign. Not many people in though so hopefully when people start coming home and checking places she may show up.  I've gpt another bunch of leaflets to do and drop off later (lady from accross road who we are friendly with says she goes into the next block of houses so will trawl them later.

More news though, another cat went missing from a house close to mine yesterday morning.   :(  The two disappearances could be totally unrelated I know. It's just strange.

Karen

Karen I will put money on the fact that Lilly and this other kitty going missing at the same time is purely coincidence.  You only have to look at the listings on the National pet Register to see how many kitties go missing at the same time in all parts of the country.  Please DO NOT assume anything sinister is going on.

Not sure which part of the country you are in but in Nottingham over the weekend the weather was lovely and mild and I know lots of my neighbours were out in their gardens ... I bet Lilly has been a nosy madam and managed to get herself shut in a shed / garage.  I would knock on all your neighbours doors (10 houses in each direction) and ask them to check their sheds (or better still let you check).

Good luck and fingers crossed she'll be home in time for tea  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Link to CatChat