Author Topic: Cat litter - a done topic I know!!  (Read 13964 times)

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Re: Cat litter - a done topic I know!!
« Reply #91 on: February 02, 2009, 20:51:28 PM »
A slotted scoop just allows dirty litter to fall back through once you start shaking it.

Not with golden grey it doesnt, because the clump doesn't break up when you shake it  ;D

likewise with classy cat :wow:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #90 on: February 02, 2009, 18:09:30 PM »
A slotted scoop just allows dirty litter to fall back through once you start shaking it.

Not with golden grey it doesnt, because the clump doesn't break up when you shake it  ;D

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2009, 14:14:05 PM »
Maybe not - we are being naughty to make life easier for us.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2009, 14:09:34 PM »
Not very eco-friendly though?  :evillaugh:

We follow the Australian advice here.

If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2009, 14:03:01 PM »
We flush it down the toilet - no probs. I just do it in 2 flushes not to block the toilet.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of clumping litter?  Surely the idea is that you scoop up the clump then shake the excess litter off so that you only remove the soiled litter.  Using a spoon without holes would scoop up unused litter too.

No, not at all, with the spoon you only pick up the clump of soiled litter. Once the litter clumps the clump isolates itself from the unused litter, so you don't pick up any unused litter. A slotted scoop just allows dirty litter to fall back through once you start shaking it.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2009, 11:43:21 AM »

I saw on the packet that the clumps are flushable - reading this, it seems that several of you do flush them.  No-one had any problems with that?  If not, I'll try it...

I have had problems with flushing. I would recommend flushing straight away as it can expand and stick. We had even nearly had overflows from it  :scared:

I have been throwing all my waste onto the wood burner (including the solids) but appreciate that not every home has one  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2009, 11:34:34 AM »
I bought some Cat's Best OKO this weekend as well to try out, will try tonight with a clean tray and see the difference between it and wood pellets.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2009, 11:33:08 AM »
I bought some Cat's Best Oko to try, fully expecting Blip not to use it as she had only used her indoor litter tray once in eight years, when she was groggy after her dental op.  But a combination of wet, cold weather and Blip's arthritis has meant that she's used the tray to wee THREE times in the past fortnight (including this morning).  So I can add my voice to those who say that Oko does not harbour urine smells.  I do have a covered tray though.

I find it clumps well - I lift the clump out carefully using a disposable glove and it doesn't break up.  There is an element of tracking around the tray but not enough to detract from the plus points.

I saw on the packet that the clumps are flushable - reading this, it seems that several of you do flush them.  No-one had any problems with that?  If not, I'll try it...
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »
Memphis' wee clumps with oko are normally about 2-3 inches long, 2 inches wide and an inch deep  :Crazy: And they come out in one piece.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2009, 06:32:12 AM »
I never had problems getting clumps out in one piece - there is a knack to it  :evillaugh:

How sad are we?  :evillaugh:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2009, 23:51:49 PM »
Ahhhh so there is two votes for Golden Grey then - will prob give it a try as it would appear my latest purchase Clean n tidy has the thumsb down from everyone on here  :rofl:!!!

Why cants PAH just sell Classy Cat and make my life easier!! :rofl:

Maybe my lot just piddle too small but the clumps in OKo are soo tiny and then when I give it a GENTLE shookle it all breaks up!! And yes a spoon would defeat the purpose and have me throwing out as much litter as I am now. OKO may have good odour control but I find that classy cat does if you keep up in the clumps and you use a lot less - I can believe I have got through 20l already and thats just in 2 trays!! :tired:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2009, 18:55:35 PM »
Can you not donate the litter Mark? The tubs are very useful for storing food in so could help a rescue in 2 ways.

I also find that sometimes they "puddle" a bit on top. Millysmum suggested covering the puddle with more litter until it sets - this works for me. It only happens once in a while.

Definately works, spike pees so fast sometimes it makes a volcano with its own lake inside  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2009, 18:46:42 PM »
I also find that sometimes they "puddle" a bit on top. Millysmum suggested covering the puddle with more litter until it sets - this works for me. It only happens once in a while.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2009, 18:44:27 PM »
I would agree clay clumps better but the odour control with OKO is brilliant. It takes forever for it to smell even vaguely off, I think you'd have to go some for it to ever smell and living in a small flat that far outweighs any negatives for me.

The clumps do need time to "set" or they will fall apart easily. Left for a bit and they are much sturdier. You do have to shake a bit more carefully than clay clumps though.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2009, 18:42:12 PM »
So went to PAH today and bought some stuff I have never heard off (always a good sign lol!!) which is specifically for multi cat households. If it doesnt work then it will be back to classy cat and broken backs trying to carrying the packages zoo plus send!!!

Clean and tidy? I got 4 big tubs as it was on bogof at first and thought it was rubbish, was glad to get rid of it! Out of all the clumping clays nothing can beat golden grey

Glad I read this thread as it reminded me that I have 1 3/4 tubs of unused Clean & tidy to go out in the trash - exactly what I think of it!  :evillaugh:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2009, 18:37:04 PM »
Thats what I am finding too. ..and my tray is filled really deep. When I take a clump out and try and give the scopp a wee shake to drop off the unsued parts the clump breaks up and sometimes just form me trying to take them out.

Its easier if you use a metal spoon to scoop the clumps. Those plastic litter scoops with the holes/slots in them are useless really for clumping litter - because you don't want any of the clump to fall back through anyway. With a metal spoon you can scoop under the clump and capture the whole thing in one go  ;D Here's the one I use (just a cheap metal serving/cooking spoon) - I used to use something similar but in plastic, but it absorbed odours (even with frequent washing) so changed to metal which is ace as you can wash in scalding water and when dry give it a good coating of baby oil to polish it off and make it smell nice  ;)

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of clumping litter?  Surely the idea is that you scoop up the clump then shake the excess litter off so that you only remove the soiled litter.  Using a spoon without holes would scoop up unused litter too.

Agree with MM that golden grey is the best clay clumping litter.  I'm reluctant to try anything new cos I like that and the boys like that, so it's rather a case of if it aint broke, don't fix it.  With having only the one litter tray, I can't put something new in one and leave one with the old.  If I do get around to putting a 2nd tray in the bathroom, I might try the oko just to see what it's like.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2009, 18:33:03 PM »
So went to PAH today and bought some stuff I have never heard off (always a good sign lol!!) which is specifically for multi cat households. If it doesnt work then it will be back to classy cat and broken backs trying to carrying the packages zoo plus send!!!

Clean and tidy? I got 4 big tubs as it was on bogof at first and thought it was rubbish, was glad to get rid of it! Out of all the clumping clays nothing can beat golden grey

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2009, 18:14:58 PM »
Classy cat is going down well here despite the initial reluctance to use it.  It doesn't track too badly and can see why it would last so long as the wee clumps are tiny compared to crumb wee clumps.  The downsides would have to be it's not the same colour as my carpet (crumb hides so well  :evillaugh:) and the fact that it's only available from Zooplus so have to be quite careful with the ordering to make sure I'm in when it's due to come.

I think overall I'll probably stick with the crumb though.  Glad I've got the 'try a new cat litter' bug out of my system now though  :evillaugh:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2009, 18:08:15 PM »
Ok I have given up with OKO  - had 20 litres and its only lasted a week!!! ;)

I maybe was doing something wrong but I found the clumps broke up too easily compared to classy cat and also it trecked too much! My lot have three litter trays but do tend to all use the same one and I dont know if all that digging broke up the clumps but I can clean out classy cat once a day and it lasts for weeks but the OKO was getting done twice a day and I would still say the clumps were all broken up - occasionally there would be a solid one but rarely!!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2009, 14:50:44 PM »
Thats what I am finding too. ..and my tray is filled really deep. When I take a clump out and try and give the scopp a wee shake to drop off the unsued parts the clump breaks up and sometimes just form me trying to take them out.

Its easier if you use a metal spoon to scoop the clumps. Those plastic litter scoops with the holes/slots in them are useless really for clumping litter - because you don't want any of the clump to fall back through anyway. With a metal spoon you can scoop under the clump and capture the whole thing in one go  ;D Here's the one I use (just a cheap metal serving/cooking spoon) - I used to use something similar but in plastic, but it absorbed odours (even with frequent washing) so changed to metal which is ace as you can wash in scalding water and when dry give it a good coating of baby oil to polish it off and make it smell nice  ;)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2009, 12:47:18 PM »
I'm over the moon with oko. No broken clumps here, they remain very firm. As for the tracking it doesn't go beyond the mat in front of the tray.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2009, 12:41:15 PM »
Totally agree Dawn - I am not even going to try anything else in the future because it works for us and for the cats so as they say "if it aint broke dont try to fix it"
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2009, 12:23:27 PM »
I know I go on about it endlessly but chick crumb is brilliant and at £10 for 20kg super cheap

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2009, 11:10:33 AM »
I am finding the clumps break up though

Thats what I am finding too. ..and my tray is filled really deep. When I take a clump out and try and give the scopp a wee shake to drop off the unsued parts the clump breaks up and sometimes just form me trying to take them out. So I am using way more litter than I normally would with classy cat clumping for instance. I will leave it a few more days but so far the clumps are not very great!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »
I agree Sheryl!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »
Chick Crumb Rules in our house - If I try anything else at least one of the Benglas shows their displeasure by peeing next to the tray.  I have had no problems at all with the chick crumb and my local garden centre keeps me 2 sacks in stock now all the time and when I collect those they order me the next 2.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2009, 09:45:46 AM »
I am finding the clumps break up though

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2009, 20:54:42 PM »
Are you keeping it v.deep, i use 5l to fill an average tray, the deeper the better for any clumping litter  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2009, 20:24:19 PM »
Yes I bought 2 x £9 scoops for clay. They are now redundant  :evillaugh:

The scoops worked a treat with classy cat - its the OKO I am finding is too big for the fancy mesh!! :tired:

I have to say so far I am not overly impressed with OKO - it doestn clump as well as classy cat and I am not convinced that it can last as long judging by how much the clumps break up when I try and remove them. I have a cheap plastic scoop with big slots which still takes out too much unused litter so I think I will get through more OKO - and boy oh boy does it trail!!

I think there may be a return to classy cat soon as I think it works out cheaper and I am struggling with taking out the used OKO - anyone else had probs?

I think it clumps well enough and haven't had any problems with it. I am just using cheap scoops from PAH with quite big holes. I think you have to give it a chance to clump so no good tring to do it straight after they have weed, With 5 trays, It would be a full time job

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2009, 20:08:43 PM »
Since Chilli's homecoming I have discovered this litter is only as good as the cat who digs in it. I have just scooped the tray, put the lid back on, litter in the bin, debris swept up, cup of tea made. THEN she decides to go for a poo and I have to say her guts are not right  :sick: She eats the exact same as Dave but my goodness the smell is nuclear  :sick:

As she has been missing and probably surviving on all sorts of nasty stuff i would suggest you take a sample over 3 days and then worm her. Your vet can send it off for a range of tests to see if she has picked up a tummy bug whilst she was awol. You can pick up a nifty pot and scoop from your vet  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2009, 08:51:19 AM »
I am using an emergency bag of oko at the moment - definately doesn't clump as well as chick crumb, I'm off to Jolleyes tonight!

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 07:45:59 AM »

The scoops worked a treat with classy cat - its the OKO I am finding is too big for the fancy mesh!! :tired:

I have to say so far I am not overly impressed with OKO - it doestn clump as well as classy cat and I am not convinced that it can last as long judging by how much the clumps break up when I try and remove them. I have a cheap plastic scoop with big slots which still takes out too much unused litter so I think I will get through more OKO - and boy oh boy does it trail!!

I think there may be a return to classy cat soon as I think it works out cheaper and I am struggling with taking out the used OKO - anyone else had probs?

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2009, 22:42:13 PM »
Since Chilli's homecoming I have discovered this litter is only as good as the cat who digs in it. I have just scooped the tray, put the lid back on, litter in the bin, debris swept up, cup of tea made. THEN she decides to go for a poo and I have to say her guts are not right  :sick: She eats the exact same as Dave but my goodness the smell is nuclear  :sick: And the precious little Princess is apparently too ladylike to cover up the offending smell  :sick: It's just sitting there, slap bang in the middle of the tray, completely exposed. So the deodorising effect is disabled. God help me if it wasn't a covered tray  :sick: :evillaugh:

ETA: Sorry to be too graphic but she also does poos the size of dog! They're double the size of anything Dave produces  :Crazy: :sick: :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 22:43:19 PM by 925dancer »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2009, 22:24:15 PM »
Well, after nearly 72 hours we have our first deposit  :evillaugh: It was of the number two variety so can't judge it's clumping ability  :evillaugh: A few grains on the carpet but too early to rate it on track-a-bility.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2009, 20:19:37 PM »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2009, 19:37:04 PM »
Well I have had one user of the OKO which is in one out of three trays - which led to my discovery that the pieces are too big for my fancy two mesh litter scoop!!! arrghhh!!!

I was waiting for that after looking at the much reccomended scoop  :rofl:

Offline catalyst

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Milo and Pagan
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2009, 00:43:09 AM »
How do you find OKO compared to Worlds Best Cat Litter? I find that is great in all ways except the mess.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2009, 20:14:42 PM »
Well I have had one user of the OKO which is in one out of three trays - which led to my discovery that the pieces are too big for my fancy two mesh litter scoop!!! arrghhh!!! Will have to dig out one of the old plastic ones now as I ended up breaking up the OKO clum trying to shake the excess through the mesh!! :shocked:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2009, 19:02:48 PM »
I hated that Clean & Tidy too, the tubs have been useful.
Unfortunately i cant take Tazs clay away as hes too sensitive   :Luv:

Link to CatChat