Author Topic: Cat litter - a done topic I know!!  (Read 13965 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Cat litter - a done topic I know!!
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2009, 18:50:47 PM »
24 hours have elasped and no deposits in the classy cat tray  :shify: Not even a footprint where they've gone in and changed their minds  :evillaugh:

Lol litter upgrades are only any good if the cats use them, i would like to have all trays on cats best but there would be uproar  :tired:

I did mine in stages but so glad to see the back of clay - which reminds me to bin the 1 1/2 tubs of "Clean & tidy" next week. Horrible stuff!  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2009, 18:48:46 PM »
24 hours have elasped and no deposits in the classy cat tray  :shify: Not even a footprint where they've gone in and changed their minds  :evillaugh:

Lol litter upgrades are only any good if the cats use them, i would like to have all trays on cats best but there would be uproar  :tired:

You're not wrong  :tired: Coming up for 48 hours and the other tray has never seen so much foot traffic  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2009, 18:47:34 PM »

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2009, 10:33:10 AM »
We started using OKO on Thursday, it's so nice to clean up!

It does track a bit but it doesn't hurt when you step on it which on hardwood floors is a blessing.

Hope it works for you as well.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2009, 23:54:02 PM »
Oh no takers with the classy cat yet then!!!!

I collected the Oko tonight and thanks to zoo plus packing with the other stuff one bag was burst open! However tray is out with it so we shall see. I'm thinking it might track less than classy cat just by feeling it!
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2009, 23:46:24 PM »

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2009, 16:03:18 PM »
I love Cats Best OKO. Can't fault it - no reason to try any other brand. I don't hoover more often than I used to either, the tracking is minimal. Love the fact it flushes down the toilet too.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2009, 13:05:12 PM »
My OKO got delivered to my Mum's in case I had the same problem and not been to collect it yet althogh should get it tomorrow - then my experiament begins too!!

The problem with classy cat is when you order the two pack special, which I always do, then they pack them both in the same box - herein lies my problem. Parcelforce man leaves it at post office and muggins here has to carry 30KG box out of a busy shopping centre (where post office is) into someones car (as I dont have one just now) then up three flights of stairs...hence my OKO experiment!

Classy can be dusty - let me know how you find it - we can exchange notes  :rofl: :rofl:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 23:55:03 PM »
The experiment commences tonight!

Have to say i was wondering what you were on about when you said it was so heavy - surely all litter is going to be heavy isn't it?  I know what you mean now, one 15kg sack is tiny compared to a 20kg sack of crumb.  I've filled one deep tray 2/3 full with it and it's used at least 2/3 of the bag, the other tray is crumb still in case they don't like using the classy cat.

I don't have a sense of smell at the moment so I can only grade it on tracking, dust and longevity. Will update with the results and then try the OKO, oooh what an exciting life I lead  :evillaugh:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2009, 16:53:30 PM »
The scoop is on zooplus - large grey one for about £9 with two different sizes of mesh. Has a really really long handle too and just more stregth that the the cheaper ones and makes the litter last longer I think!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2009, 16:40:04 PM »
I've had zero tracking with the oko. He was on catsan before which did him just fine and that tracked around his tray but not a sausage with the oko.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2009, 16:39:42 PM »
I'm changing from clasy cat to OKO lol....only because I cant manage the size of the bags myself up three flights of stairs and the delivery man doesnt seem to either!! :rofl:

Have to say it doesnt need changed a lot - I usually get about six weeks out of provided I clear out the used stuff every night. I do have the expensive and fancy soop though on the recomendation from a friend - not the slightest used bit gets through that mesh and I would say this time it lasted about 8 weeks!

However was dispatched a week ago and still no sign!!! :shy:

What's the fancy scoop and where from? My scoop is rubbish. :innocent:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2009, 16:34:55 PM »
its always worth a go, everyone has a different opinion you might love it

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2009, 16:33:23 PM »
Oooh, hope not Dawn  :tired:  Anyway, my nan always used to say a change is as good as a rest  :evillaugh:

This is the one http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/clumping_litter/14037

Edit:  Just saw the other posts - not looking too good on the tracking front  :evillaugh:  If it's that bad I'll give it to CP and go back to the crumb, I was put off OKO due to people saying it was a nightmare for tracking.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 16:35:12 PM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2009, 16:33:02 PM »
I must have been doing something wrong - I scooped every day but still needed a full change after three days because I could smell the trays when I came home from work

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2009, 16:32:12 PM »
sadly I think I've had it before, it tracks a bit but gets smelly pretty quickly and needs changing very regularly

This sounds familiar  :shify: It used to get everywhere as well those little grains. Cat's Best tracks but not too far and to can see it a mile off! No smell at all is the best thing for me though living in a small flat.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2009, 16:31:22 PM »
I'm changing from clasy cat to OKO lol....only because I cant manage the size of the bags myself up three flights of stairs and the delivery man doesnt seem to either!! :rofl:

Have to say it doesnt need changed a lot - I usually get about six weeks out of provided I clear out the used stuff every night. I do have the expensive and fancy soop though on the recomendation from a friend - not the slightest used bit gets through that mesh and I would say this time it lasted about 8 weeks!

However was dispatched a week ago and still no sign!!! :shy:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2009, 16:29:12 PM »
sadly I think I've had it before, it tracks a bit but gets smelly pretty quickly and needs changing very regularly

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2009, 16:27:31 PM »
Just checked and yep, although that's not why I bought it as I have no issues with smells just the neverending trail of chick crumb  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2009, 16:24:50 PM »
is classy cat the baby powder smelling one?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 16:20:54 PM »
I've gone the other way and ordered classy cat to see if it tracks less than chick crumbs - will update with the results of the experiment soon  :evillaugh:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 13:33:08 PM »
I switched Memphis to cats best on Saturday and I am such a convert now  :wow: He took to it immediately and it looks like we both love it. It really does make such a huge noticeable difference. Plus it gives me the opportunity to keep an eye on how much wee he's producing .. and as suspected there is a lot.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »

Do people not change trays either when using clumping? I have spare ones so i remove clumps and solids and then tip remaining litter into a clean tray and wash dirty one

With classy cat which is a clumping litter I changed it probably about every six weeks but took out the solids and clumps 1-2 times a day. About 3-4 weeks in I would maybe wipe it down by letting the litter run down to a lower level than normal then emptying it out, giving  it a clean and putting litter back in - but a total clear out is every 6 weeks - gone are my clean out once a week days thank goodness!!

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2009, 17:42:01 PM »
Well I only have one tray but I change a little more often than others have mentioned due to that.

Just got another bag today, finally, after being on some other dodgy stuff out of forced necessity, can't wait to change it, it stank after a day  :sick: Has only been in three, maybe four days and I can't stomach it already, it will be the first thing I do when I get home this evening!  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2009, 17:39:08 PM »
I dont use any form of liner in the tray, they are actually the cause of issues for many cats!

How often do the folks on OKO find they have to change litter tray - as in the whole thing out and cleaned and filled entirely fresh again? Thats the big draw for me with classy cat you see - you can get away with weeks at a time and no smelll - its just too dam heavy for me and three flights of stairs !!! :P

The OKO litter lasts well, is just starting to get dusty on the bottom so it will be going in the composter shortly  ;D

Do people not change trays either when using clumping? I have spare ones so i remove clumps and solids and then tip remaining litter into a clean tray and wash dirty one

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 07:49:16 AM »
It is now ordered - thanks all!

I ended up ordering two 10 litre bags which was probably not the best economically but will see how they find it and if it is success will order the 40l from now on. At least it is also available in PAH - sometimes if Zooplus is delayed it has been a nightmare as my current litter is only available through them!  :-:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 08:06:59 AM by caledonia »

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 22:32:38 PM »
Do you people put something in the bottom of the tray, to absorb any wee, like pads, or newspaper, or other? Or do you just fill the tray up with the litter?

No, you don't need anything else but litter in the bottom of the tray, the litter absorbs the wee. Because you don't need to change the full tray very often pads or newspaper would just sit in the bottom and fester  :sick:

Ok is this the one I should be ordering?
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/ecological_litter/14001
I assume the 40 Litre bag is very very heavy!!!
Is this available in PAH then - as I would need to order a lot above the 10 litre to get free delivery! :wow:

Yes thats the one. The 40 litre bag is heavy, but manageable I'd say. You can get in PAH, but only in the 10 ltre size.

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 22:28:02 PM »
Just litter, good and deep, Dave likes to dig, sometimes he goes in there just to have a digging session  :evillaugh:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 22:03:05 PM »
Do you people put something in the bottom of the tray, to absorb any wee, like pads, or newspaper, or other? Or do you just fill the tray up with the litter?

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 21:45:48 PM »
Ok thats what I was hoping to hear lol - same as classy cat which drags a bit about the floor too lol!!

Ok is this the one I should be ordering?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_litter/ecological_litter/14001

I assume the 40 Litre bag is very very heavy!!!

Is this available in PAH then - as I would need to order a lot above the 10 litre to get free delivery! :wow:

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 21:37:57 PM »
I normally only do it when I open a new bag, so not very often.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2009, 21:29:35 PM »
How often do the folks on OKO find they have to change litter tray - as in the whole thing out and cleaned and filled entirely fresh again? Thats the big draw for me with classy cat you see - you can get away with weeks at a time and no smelll - its just too dam heavy for me and three flights of stairs !!! :P

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 20:43:16 PM »
Also if it does track, it is easy to see. I hated it when I got wet clay on the floor - or even worse, in the carpet. I find cats best really easy to sweep up with a dustpan & brush - partly as you can easily see it.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 20:37:34 PM »
what if I don't like it?  what if the cats dont' like it?  what if it tracks too much and drives me bananas?  Does it clump like ultra clumping clay? 
I don't think it tracks a lot - I notice little bits here & there on occassion, but that's it. We keep 2 mats under the tray, and Capone has to walk across a few more rugs when leaving the hallway (where the tray is) so we hardly notice any tracking.

I have never tried ultra clumping litter - but this one clumps amazingly well so it seems ultra clumping to me?!

I know if a cat is used to a certain litter, you should gradually make the change, but I just changed the litter completely (from wood pellet ones - I did not like them at all), and Capone didn't seem to mind at all. I can't imagine cats not liking it! It seems very hygenic and totally odour free.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 20:47:13 PM by tigerbaby »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 20:32:19 PM »
Well I only have the one tray so I'd have to either go for that or stick with the clay.  Think I might stick with the golden grey for now but I will try it one day.

They do a trial bag for £2.50 - maybe worth trying it the next time?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2009, 20:20:40 PM »
I'm very tempted to switch to Cats Oko too!!! Since Memphis' change in diet he's widdling an awful lot and I think changing to clumping makes a lot of sense. Just have to wait until I can get to PAH more frequently.

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 20:14:52 PM »
i got some of the cats best OKO after reading recommendations on here (got the name wrong though, was wondering around the shop looking for OXO litter :shy:  :doh:) and i'm pleased with it so far. Her wee absolutely doesn't smell in it at all. She unfortunately likes to dig to Australia :evillaugh: so my floor is covered with litter :innocent: but even though she's peeing almost on the bottom of the litter tray it doesn't stick. To get past the litter everywhere i'm just about to order a covered tray with flap from zooplus, hopefully it'll do the trick! :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 20:06:41 PM »
Well I only have the one tray so I'd have to either go for that or stick with the clay.  Think I might stick with the golden grey for now but I will try it one day.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 20:01:58 PM »
I have always avoided the clumping litters, I dont really know why. Although I would use them if they didnt make as much mess as the grannet litters.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 19:42:20 PM »
I'm about to put in an order at zooplus and cant' decide whether to try the oko cats best or not.  what if I don't like it?  what if the cats dont' like it?  what if it tracks too much and drives me bananas?  Does it clump like ultra clumping clay?  Cos I don't want anything where I can't scoop out the clumps.  Could you mix it with a clay clumping litter?

Yes it clumps like clay (but its softer and doesnt set hard like clay does). I'd do as MM suggestd and try it in one tray, keep the usual stuff in the other tray and see how they like it.

Link to CatChat