Author Topic: Am new - cat's dying. Updated again - Ed's gone.  (Read 14098 times)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
Re: Am new - cat's dying. Updated - tomorrow (Friday).
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2009, 09:25:54 AM »
My thoughts are with you too   :hug: :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2009, 09:25:10 AM »
I can only really echo what others have said, I too will be thinking of you today.

It sounds like you are going to give Eddy so much love and attention in the next few hours, that he will go to the bridge knowing he had the best parents ever.  :hug:

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2009, 09:22:30 AM »
Blessing upon you and Eddy, what a wonderful set of cat parents you are to have the strength to let him go.  :Luv:

No more pain Eddy, just butterflies and sunny patches on the bridge sweetheart  :Luv2: :Luv2:

you are all in my thoughts today..... :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2009, 09:06:58 AM »
I've not read this until now. I'm so sorry about Eddy; he looks such a nice little man. Take comfort in knowing that he'll have recognised how cherished he was. You and your partner loving him will have made so much of a difference in his life. I'll be thinking of you this afternoon too. :care:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2009, 08:30:30 AM »
I am sorry that his time has come, but he is lucky that you are strong enough to let him go with dignity. You will be in my thoughts this afternoon.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2009, 08:11:40 AM »
So sorry  :'(

You are being brave putting Eddy first and sparing him the discomfort and pain. I can't think of any words of comfort other than you did your best for him  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2009, 08:04:39 AM »
I am so sorry 2d.  I hope Eddy enjoys his special time with you and that his crossing to the Bridge is a peaceful one.  Big hug to you on this hearbreaking day  :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2009, 01:35:25 AM »
Even though you knew it would come one day, it still does not make it any easier. My thought and strength will be with you for tomorrow.

Eddy I send my prayers to you and wish you a safe journey home little fella, send your mummy and daddy a message once you arrive, good night God bless little one xxxx

So sorry  :hug:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2009, 01:31:38 AM »
no words can make you feel better :(
just know our thoughts will be with you and Eddy Puss
and your amongst people who understand
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:32:39 AM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2009, 00:16:12 AM »
this is so sad  :'(

i'll be thinking of you tomorrow  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2009, 23:57:43 PM »
Oh 2d honey I just want to give you these  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I know you will have given it an awful lot of thought and soul searching.  Only you and Nige can know when the unfortunate time has come for your lovely Ed.  As Stuart said, it is the final kindness to help him rest in peace.

We are here all here for you when you want to talk x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2009, 23:50:27 PM »
I'm sorry you've found us in such sad circumstances  :hug:

I hope tomorrow goes as well as can be expected.  It won't be easy for you but you are doing the right thing by Eddy  :hug: :hug:

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
Re: Am new - cat's dying. Updated - tomorrow (Friday). :o(
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2009, 23:45:21 PM »
We've decided we have to call the vet out tomorrow (Friday) to have Eddy put to sleep.

He's still not in much pain - just a bit of an arthritic ache (I'd know if he was hurting).  But he's finding it a lot harder to get about, and one of his tumours (the one we know about is under his back leg) must be pressing on his bladder because he keeps wetting himself.
It started yesterday, and now he's pretty much completely incontinent.  We left it a day because he has a history of nervous weeing, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't just that something had scared him.

But it's got worse gradually.  Since there's no hope he can get better, we can't let him go on like that.  So Nige has booked the afternoon off work (was very firm with his twit of a boss), and we'll call the vet out. 

Obviously if he was in pain we'd call the vet straight away, but since he's not, and since we're happy to mop up after him and keep him clean, we're having a little time with him to say goodbye, and to spoil him with his fave foods and that kind of thing, first.

We knew it was coming, but we're both heartbroken.  Me especially, because I work from home, so it's just me and the boys alone all day.

I've sent a message to my other boys at the bridge to look after him.

CAn't stop crying.  I just don't want him to go.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 23:46:01 PM by 2d »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: Am new - cat's dying.
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2009, 12:43:26 PM »
Ed is lovely  :hug:

I can just echo what others have said about the wonderful support Purrs people give when things are so difficult. It is a often a real rollercoaster when our little ones are so ill, I so understand exactly what you mean when you say you think that this is it on his bad days, only for him to rally. I understand how scared you get to take decisions when there are good days. May there be many good days still together  :hug: . When I was panicking on here, a wise person (ok, Sue!) told me simply to take it one day at a time, one hour at a time if needs be. 

As for those who are otherwise nice but don't understand what you are going through for "a cat" - I've had to learn not to even mention my cat troubles as they just can't understand so it's pointless.  As for the cretins who go out of their way to make comments that upset you, well what pathetic apologies for human beings they are. Avoid them or put salt in their coffee.
 :hug:

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2009, 09:38:34 AM »
Hiya.  Sorry, just catching up with this thread.

I am so sorry that you have joined here under such sad circumstances.   This will be a really difficult time for you all.  Ignore those people who are making horrible comments - they just don't understand the bond that most people have with their pets......and to be honest, I didn't understand it either until I got my own.

Make the most of the time you have left with him and enjoy it.   We all feel your pain on here.   :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 20:10:41 PM »
I have 3 legged cat and he likes to bury but is hopeless at it and usually misses  :)

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 15:10:44 PM »
Oh yes and ignore the prats.......do they have children and are they ever sick................so why dont they just get rid of them and get another grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

One of them has dogs, and clearly hates cats (I don't understand how you can have any pet yourself and not be sympathetic to others, regardless of what the pet is).  Nige said if she spoke to him like that again he'd shoot her dogs, (not that he'd ever do that in a million years, of course, he was just upset), and see how easy it was for her to 'just get another'.

I have added a couple of links to your "introduction" thread that you might want to read later.

Thank you very much - have bookmarked them to read later on.  I'd looked at a couple of pages about that already (what George wwas going to do was one of the first thoughts that hit me once the initial shock was gone - he looks after ed, and regularly washes him) - it's easier to look at these things while he's still here.  But these ones are much better, so I'll read properly when I get chance.

The thing abut Ed at the moment is he's having bad days and good days.  Just when I think he's only going to have a day or two left, he picks up and has a good day, and goes hopping round the house on the one back leg that's still working properly...
He is making a bit of a mess of the litter tray though - using it fine, but then he turns round to bury it, and more often than not (not being able to see) steps right in it, bless him    :shy:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 15:13:54 PM by 2d »

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 15:01:02 PM »
Oh yes and ignore the prats.......do they have children and are they ever sick................so why dont they just get rid of them and get another grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Apologies to all the cat lovers on here who also have chidren  :scared:

Same thing here .
He is gorgeous , glad he is having a good day , hope you have a lot more time with him.
Sending  :hug: :hug: to you all , take care .

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »

Apologies to all the cat lovers on here who also have chidren  :scared:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 12:47:57 PM »
Eddie is  beautiful   :Luv:   and those narrow minded people who make  those horrible comments really are the loosers as they obviously have never had a kittie to love, i suppose we should feel sorry for them as they dont know what they are missing.  :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 12:40:13 PM »
Ahhhh Eddy is a stunner and he looks really good at the moment  :Luv2:

I have added a couple of links to your "introduction" thread that you might want to read later.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 11:58:35 AM »
How adorable is he and I agree with Gill,he looks great,look at them clear big eyes :Luv2: :Luv2:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 11:54:23 AM »
I know it's hard for you but you are doing the best you can for him  :hug:

I feel sorry for pathetic, shallow idiots who have no idea what it's like to have animal family. They are the ones missing out.  :hug:

He is  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 11:54:55 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »
Eddy is gorgeous and looks very good at the moment  :hug:

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 11:45:37 AM »
Im So so Sorry to read about Eddy Puss, He's Adorable  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
It Must be so Hard For you both right now  :(
and I know what you mean when you say you dont know if you will have the strength to do the final kindness
when it was my Hamish's time to leave for the bridge I was wracked with the "What if ? Syndrome "
But Believe me They will let you know themselves, " It's as if they are telling you, Ok, I've had enough now, I want to go "
ither by the quality of life the have left or that look they give you. It Is So hard to do, but it must be done (the final Kindness)
I'm so sorry you've found purr's under such sad circumstances (that's how I found Purr's too)
The Folks on here are simply wonderful
Please Ignore the "It's just a cat, get another one" ar :censored: le's, thier closed minds do not understand.

:hug: :hug: :hug: to you both and give Eddy a little head rub from me  :care:

My thoughts are with You Both

Stuart n Misty
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 11:35:09 AM »
What a beautiful boy  :hug:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
He's eautiful , an ignore all those ignoramuses who need to think before they open their traps!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »
He is lovely, and fingers crossed he can have lots more time with you
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 09:20:44 AM »
Ignore those people 2d they obviously have never bonded with a cat.  He is gorgeous and I am glad he has been a little better  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 07:28:20 AM »
 :Luv2: What a beautiful kitty, do give him a cuddle from me please xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline MooCat

• Adult Cat
    • Myspace Musician
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 04:36:03 AM »
 What a gorgeous lad he is , looks very much like my moms cat "Monty" i know its hard but just try to enjoy
his company for the time you have left together , as for the people that dont understand ...... well theyre just not
the same as us and its their loss not ours.
"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats."

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 02:44:34 AM »
Aww bless him, he's lovely  :Luv2:

And to the idiots that dont understand what its like to love something that loves you back wholeheartedly with no complaints, what utter  :censored: holes!  :)

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 00:40:28 AM »
ps - thought you might like to see who I've been writing about (if this works).....   He'd like you to excuse his bald bit (from the biopsy).

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 00:36:09 AM »
Thank you again.

He had a bit of a better day today.  I honestly didn't think he was going to make it to the end of the week on Wednesday.  He had a bit more trouble getting about than he had till then (though it's hard to tell how much of it is the tumour, and how much the arthritis, the latter obviously being a little worse cos of the cold weather).

But I went downstairs this afternoon to find him in the kitchen waiting to be fed!

My state of mind really wasn't helped by a couple of people, but is ok at the moment.  One of Nige's* work colleagues, when he went in late and left early one day to take Ed to the vet and pick him up, told him that she didn't see why we didn't just have him put to sleep (she said have him destroyed), and get another one.   >:(     This was before we knew what was wrong and when it might have just been inflamation.   And another person pointed out that we could get ten cats for the cost of the vets bills, and why bother?    >:(    >:(

Still taking it day by day, but fingers crossed he'll be with us a little longer.

(*Nige is my husband)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 00:45:51 AM by 2d »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 16:44:40 PM »
I can only echo the sentiments already posted on here, in that I'm sorry to welcome you to us under such sad circumstances.  Treasure every day you have together  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 10:50:13 AM »
I am so sorry to welcome you to Purrs at such a sad and painful time.  My thoughts are with you and please don't hesitate to share your feelings here.  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2009, 22:02:56 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about Eddy Puss and I hope that the rest of his time with you is longer than you expect and so happy.

Take each day as it comes and love him to bits, this is the hardest time and right now I understand what you are going through, as do all on Purrs  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you and Eddy

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2009, 21:58:29 PM »
2d I am so sorry to hear about Eddy Puss.  We went through a very similar thing with Sasha who we had to have pts two and a half years ago. 

My thoughts are with you all at this very sad time x x  :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 21:50:16 PM »
Sorry to read about your Eddy, you will know whats best for him when the time comes  :hug:

I wish Eddy a happy and peacefull end, and sending keep strong thoughts to you and your partner  :)

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 19:11:15 PM »
I'm sorry :(

I lost my 19 year old darling over a year ago and enjoy thinking about all the fun things we did, go and make fresh memories of love and cuddles with your babe  :hug:

Link to CatChat