Author Topic: I need to calm down about neighbours  (Read 2428 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: I need to calm down about neighbours
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 00:16:21 AM »
Only just seen this Rosella and knew what you meant and understood how you felt cos this happened to me in London. Loads of cats in my neighbourhood and my cat had always visited next door. The new neighbour and I were quite friendly and chatted and then suddenely the place that Kocka used to go through was blocked up and then a big fence went up and Kocka used to try and dig a hole to get under  :(

Poor Kocka could not understand why she couldnt patrol her patch anymore, it was so sad.

The neighbours boyfriend then moved in, they then started playing loud music and we never talked again..............she moved not long after and I got a much nicer neighbour.....have to admit it was hard passing my hand lawn mower over the blooming fence when her grass got too long for her hover  :rofl: :rofl:

Wish my neighbour would put up some net cos am sure that my cats will be blamed for the tom cat smell that I am sure he will have from my visitor......poissibly the reason for all the bleach he put down a few weeks ago................of course it would also attract every cat in the area for miles!

Hope that Noni is alright and learns quickly not to get stuck in that garden  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 20:52:53 PM »
As someone who has a major problem with cats using my garden has a large litter tray - I can fully understand why they have put the mesh up and if I thought it would work in my garden I would try it too.    And, if they have only put it up on their side then they don't have to ask your permission to do it.  They're only trying to maintain their garden whilst you are upset because it has affected your cats.

I obviously wasn't clear in my original post. I have no objection in the least to my neighbours putting wire mesh within the fence and obviously understand they have every right to and fully understand why they have done it.  We know each other well and speak regularly. I spoke to them recently as I was concerned they may be building a fish pond.  I was very concerened that cats might try and catch any fish and wanted to ensure they made any pond safe from puds.  I would most certailnly have (not sought "permission" but) mentioned that I was putting mesh in hedge before doing it coz I guess I'm just like that.  It would have saved me very real concern last night that Noni was badly hurt.

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 15:20:56 PM »
As someone who has a major problem with cats using my garden has a large litter tray - I can fully understand why they have put the mesh up and if I thought it would work in my garden I would try it too.    And, if they have only put it up on their side then they don't have to ask your permission to do it.  They're only trying to maintain their garden whilst you are upset because it has affected your cats.

I don't mind clearing up my own cat's poo - I absolutely detest having to clean out my garden though.  My garden has it's own litter scoop for cleaning it out - it is just plain disgusting.  I totally understand that cat's are free roaming and there is nothing that can be done about that - but it would be quite nice if once a while they volunteered to clean my garden out for me.  There's 3 - 4 neighbours with outdoor cats.  I have light coloured chips and the faeces stand out a mile away.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 14:19:27 PM »
I must admit I wouldn't have asked the neighbour about it before putting up mesh on my side of a fence/hedge or installing one of those sonic things to keep other people's cats out of my garden.

Thereagain we fully discussed with our neighbours on both sides when we moved in last year our plans for building a cat run next year including what it will look like, measurements etc as obviously they will be able to see that from their upstairs windows and through the fence and luckily they are fine about it but before we start working on it we'll double check with them that they are still ok with it and obviously we'll limit noise as much as possible.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 14:29:02 PM by Team Svartalfheims »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »
look on the bright side  - that's one garden the cats won't come to harm in

my neighbour has free-range ducks and chickens, and they have ruined my lawn, but I have not made a fuss, because he is young, and I am old(er) and do not want to be seen as a crotchedy old woman - but a fence is now going up after I told him I was going to have new turf put down (lie) so no long term harm done
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 10:39:56 AM »
Jack It wouldn't surprise me if they have got the dog to keep your cats out of their garden!!

Maybe so! :evillaugh:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 10:12:17 AM »
Jack It wouldn't surprise me if they have got the dog to keep your cats out of their garden!!

I really dont understand why people can be so nice to your face then go and do something behind your back! Just petty people!

I had loads of arguments with my neighbour last year, about Lyla pooping in their garden. Fair enough I admit its not nice and I would of done something about it if they could of at least acted half human about the "situation".

But no all I got was a load of abuse and told that I owned EVERY cat on the estate  :rofl:

Ffs if I did own every cat on this estate maybe they would be better looked after!

I have learned there is no reasoning with small minded idiots!  >:(
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 09:40:34 AM »
 :hug: :hug: What a surprise that Madam Noni hammed up the situation..... ;)

I know what you mean. I try not to be noisy or intrusive to the surrounding houses and would assume people would pay the same courtesy; they don't! The main annoyance at the moment has to be the row behind us - someone, in there infinite wisdom, has decided they want a border collie. I have no problem with the dog, but I do have a problem with the fact that rather than walking their dog, they shut it in the garden and then when it wants to come in, everyone in the surrounding area has to listen to it barking at the door for half an hour minimum. >:( Poor dog, and poor us! People shouldn't get dogs if they're not going to walk them - or maybe train them!

Hope you're calmer. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:34:17 AM »
 :evillaugh: 

Am a BIT calmer this morning. I was just really upset last night as thought Noni was hurt as she wouldn't come through hedge and kept meowing at me.  My problem is that I'm cursed with a predisposition to consider the impact of my actions on others (neighbours, family, friends) and doubly cursed to expect the same in return.  I'm doomed to constant disappointment  ;)  Sod em

Noni then tried winding me up further by half closing one eye when she came in as if the mesh had caught her eye. No other signs of discomfort etc.  I was on the phone to Vets Now at midnight.  Seems to be nothing amiss this morning  :-:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:08:21 AM »
don't worry too much - mine has done the same thing to stop mine pooing in his garden. They will soon work out where they can't get through. Mine also has an ultrasonic scare thing attached to the wire and pointed into my garden - i would block the sensor but the cats really don't seem to notice it :rofl:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
I need to calm down about neighbours
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 23:43:17 PM »
Am well pi**ed off. We have always got on with neighbours but just found out they have put wire mesh up through hedge obviously to stop our lot getting into their garden.  It's not barbed but I couldn't understand where Noni was and ended up going half way up garden to hear her squeeking. I could just about make out that she was other side of usual gap in hedge that she uses to get through but wasn't coming through. Scared the beejazus out of me. Thought she was hurt. I went and got dry food to try and encourage her to come through but when I put my hand through discovered the mesh. 

They are having their patio done and saw chap working in that area today but didn't realise what he was up to. In the scheme of things, it's not exactly terrible but I'm just bloody livid that they didn't say anything.  I had to go around the back which involves circling around 4 houses and going up long entry and calling Noni from the other side so she could follow me around the front of house. Of course that then meant Billy and Freddie came too and I woke up some kid (hopefully one of theirs).  I'm just so annoyed with them.   

Link to CatChat