Author Topic: Just got back from Cats Protection re: adoption - am confused.  (Read 32212 times)

Offline Christie

• Adult Cat
  • Beloved Bella Lucia
Re: Just got back from Cats Protection re: adoption - am confused.
« Reply #198 on: December 07, 2008, 16:21:08 PM »
I do sympathize with you, Helena, on several fronts. I grew up in a big city, so always had indoor cats as it was just way too dangerous to let cats out. In all the years of having cats since, I've always had indoor cats, or supervised-only back-garden cats, and have never had one who seemed unhappy or neurotic! We've always made sure we had tons of toys, carpeting on windowsills, cat-shelves and cat-trees and cardboard boxes and newspaper tents and you-name-it to keep cats busy and occupied as well as give them privacy when they want it, plus lots of play time as well. My beloved Lucia, who passed away this past 1 January, was always an indoor cat, with the exception that she would go out and hang out on my balcony in 2 of my apartments, but never tried to get out and away.

As far as your loss, I still miss my Lucia every single day and tears still come very often. I will never get over losing her, she was really like my little girl as well as my best friend. And of course she can absolutely never be replaced. But she was a stray when we found each other (she really found me!), and so a couple weeks after she passed away,  I met Lily (Tiger Lily) who was in a cage in a small and money-strapped rescue, and thought she looked so sad and lonely and needed a home that I brought her home. I told the rescue she would be primarily indoor-only (she goes supervised in back garden) and unlike my local CP branch, they were more than happy that I wanted to give her a safe and loving home.

So hang in there; when it's right you'll meet the right kitty or kitties, and it will feel right to give them the loving home they deserve!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #197 on: December 05, 2008, 19:20:54 PM »
I wonder if they are the ads I reported to the RSPCA (who said there was nothing wrong with them  :tired: ) saying they will take any kittens or pregnant mums. What happens to the mums?  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #196 on: December 05, 2008, 18:32:51 PM »

Lovely words  :Luv: You are so right  :Luv: :hug: Awwww. He really did come back here for his tea and his cuddles.. aww I'm sobbing again!!  :( 

I'm totally with you on this one... We lost our little Layla only days before you lost Jameson and I am still a complete wreck. I cry everyday (am now) and don't know how I am ever going to cope without her but I know it will get easier and I just try to keep remembering all the wonderful times we had.  :hug:

Helena, was it by any chance a certain petshop in Coulsdon? (town name in the shop name) If so, they are notorious for this sort of thing. One of our CP members called the RSPCA about them after she was in there and saw all the kittens were suffering from Cat flu and was advised that she was one of a long line of callers! So sad
This was a pet shop in Mitcham Road... near the end of Sumner Road? Does it ring a bell?
[/quote]
Don't think this can be the same one which if anything makes it worse as it means there are more o the horrible places. The one I am referring to is in Brighton Road in coulsdon.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #195 on: December 05, 2008, 15:47:08 PM »
Most of the breeders I know are in this area Lincs/Midlands but if you want more info let me know and I will send you a list of reputable breeders in the South (closer to you)
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2008, 15:22:24 PM »
http://www.bengalcatclub.co.uk/sadlymissed.asp

third down a brother and sister indoor pair
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 15:50:36 PM by Dawn F »

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #193 on: December 05, 2008, 15:20:41 PM »
You've got a good point there! Might have a snoop around on the net later! If you guys know of any good websites for rescues/reputable breeders let us know.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #192 on: December 05, 2008, 15:18:59 PM »
it might be worth checking out bengal rescue or the breed clubs, like sheryl said earlier lots are indoor only - when I was looking for my bengal one said I could only have a kitten if I tied it to the washing line!!!  Didn't get one from her funnily enough!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #191 on: December 05, 2008, 15:18:35 PM »

I think if you get Benglies it would be nice to get 2 kittens together - not that Im influencing you or anything :rofl:
I would love that. I love Benglies but never thought of getting a pedigree cat really until recently. Robin also loves them but reckons we should stick to moggies.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #190 on: December 05, 2008, 15:17:24 PM »
wasn't there a pair of bengal brothers in west london looking??
Yes but they wanted outdoor access and something else I can't remember now.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #189 on: December 05, 2008, 15:17:18 PM »
that's a shame :(

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2008, 15:16:31 PM »
There was Dawn but they needed outdoor access apparently?

I think if you get Benglies it would be nice to get 2 kittens together - not that Im influencing you or anything :rofl:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2008, 15:15:34 PM »
O really? We like high energy cats, Jameson was very high energy all the time.

Oh good, Dave is like a whirlwind when he gets going, I need to take pictures of the state he is leaving my cupboard in since his little trip to the vets, stuff everywhere and he just looks at me with a "what's your issue?" look on his face  :evillaugh:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #186 on: December 05, 2008, 15:14:36 PM »
It is slightly more but nothing drastic - we pay £10.80 a month for 2 moggies and £24 a month for 4 Benglies.  

Energy levels definately off the scale but so much fun - TBH my little Tabby keeps up with them most of the time.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #185 on: December 05, 2008, 15:14:29 PM »
wasn't there a pair of bengal brothers in west london looking??

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #184 on: December 05, 2008, 15:13:39 PM »
O really? We like high energy cats, Jameson was very high energy all the time.

But then again he did release a lot of his energy outdoors, I should add!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 15:16:00 PM by tigerbaby »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #183 on: December 05, 2008, 15:01:50 PM »
my insurance isn't any more for my bengal - is yours sheryl??  they have a fair bit of energy though - maybe something a bit more laid back!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #182 on: December 05, 2008, 15:00:22 PM »
Although ideally we want normal moggies (ie tabbies, b/w or black cats) we have been talking about pedigree cats, like bengals. Only problem is they are quite expensive and so will the insurance also be.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #181 on: December 05, 2008, 14:28:02 PM »
Its strange because most pedigree breeders stipulate "indoor" homes only but are happy with a secure enclosure.

I wish you all the luck in the world Helena with finding your purrfect furry friends - its seems such a travesty that you have the perfect home to offer but rescues dont want the cats to be "indoor"
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #180 on: December 05, 2008, 14:15:38 PM »
I'm in Croydon, Surrey and have tried Croydon CP and Croydon Animal Samaritans.

I haven't tried Battersea yet which is very easy for me to travel to (could do it on my own without R) but I will call them and Celia Hammond before I actually go there to check the Indoor vs Outdoor thing..

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2008, 13:58:44 PM »
she is in the surrey area beanie

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #178 on: December 05, 2008, 13:55:06 PM »
Today I decided to go the pet shop Jameson was bought from at 8 weeks old. I never had any desire to go there before, I guess I am trying to get closure on all this and it felt important to see the place he was bought from. I was shocked. What an awful place, it was very run down and the shop owner was very rude, you can tell he didn't care much about the animals. In a tank/cage next to the till was 4 tiny kittens all huddled together meowing.

The quote above that you used is sadly true. These shops care little for the animals, where they are going and what sort of homes, families or lives they will have. It is all about money, money, money. I do not believe the law should allow any Pet Shop should to sell animals.

Just seen this thread for the first time and see a mixture of advice, although I am pleased that you did not stoop to the advice to lie to get the two CP cats.  Pretty poor advice IMO and more akin to we must have our way at all costs society  that rescues often face and which creates more long term suspicion of potential owners and damage. I admire your honourable stance on that subject.

I sympathise with your overall plight re the in/out issue. I have an open mind regarding the issue of indoor cats. My own cats spend most of the week indoors which is a large area. I can understand the issue with small bedsits and areas where the cat has few bolt holes or little room. Mine are allowed into the part enclosed garden  when somebody is at home all day, which is usually qa minimum of 4 days a week. I will not have a cat flap (pros and cons with them from the cats point of view). Having said that, only 1 of the 7 likes to be out for more than a few minutes at a time. Some have lived rough and prefer the warmth and comfort of a home.

Reading through the advice, Ela posts the most realistic view in my opinion which is indicative of how she looks at cat issues.

The only issue that I have about outside is allowing cats out at night. Any owner is asking for trouble and I will leave it at that. CP and other national rescues should be hanmmering that point home to the public with statistics. The people involved in rescues on here know and understand that point.

I am not sure which part of the country you line in but if it is in the Surrey area, I can put you in touch with some sympathetic independent rescues and some local CPs with a broader view than the one you encountered. In saying that I am mindful that I do not know your living arrangements from the cats point of view any more that you know mine. That may be relevant, although I somehow doubt it.

I wish you luck. My gut feeling is that there is a nice home waiting.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #177 on: December 05, 2008, 13:41:08 PM »
I didn't forget your Dave... ;) I just assumed Dave was a rescue cat! :shy:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2008, 13:21:48 PM »
MY Dave! How can you forget my Dave!? Just look at the handsome boy below!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2008, 13:13:46 PM »
Ahhhh, him. He's a cutie!!

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #174 on: December 05, 2008, 13:10:35 PM »
lol, come on peeps! Dave! D. A. V. E.
THE Dave of Daves!  :rofl:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,19470.0.html

925dancer is moving abroad and needs a fosterer for a few months before he can be sent over. It's only a loose idea so far, we'll see nearer the time what the situation is.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2008, 13:07:26 PM »
Who is Dave? Has he been mentioned on here?

Just had to say I hate petshops selling animals full stop - there's no need. I went into one the other day that I have to get my reptile food from and she had pairs of spiny mice for £8! One of the mice has lost an ear, (she informed me an acacia rat had managed to get, and they "looked friendly" so she left them together overnight - when she got in the next morning the poor spiny was missing his ear) another has cataracts - this implies poor genetics to me and anyone with a little common sense would just stop breeding with them. Anyway she said if she has as many left at Christmas she'll give me a pair. I wasn't looking for any more pets, but to be honest I know that noone is going to buy a spiny mouse with cataracts or one ear. The need for a shelving unit is intensifying in our front room!

The chain of events that led up to Jameson being with you aren't what matters; the fact he knew so much love and affection - well that matters a great deal. The right cat(s) and you will find each other when the time is right. I honestly think that. :hug:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 13:13:00 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »
If we haven't found any new furries by March there is a possibility that we'll take gorgeous Dave in for fostering!  :Luv:

oooooo we need pics of gorgeous Dave please :Luv:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
If we haven't found any new furries by March there is a possibility that we'll take gorgeous Dave in for fostering!  :Luv:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #170 on: December 05, 2008, 09:13:26 AM »
Thanks Dawn,

A splendid idea, I've seen them and bought them occasionally on my travels but they are somewhat hard to find.

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #169 on: December 05, 2008, 09:11:45 AM »
hope you are feeling a bit better hun  :hug:

Leigh is it worth approaching Tan to see if she can get them for the purrs shop?

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #168 on: December 05, 2008, 09:08:10 AM »
Hi Helena,

I hate pet shops that have animals. I picked up Suzie all those years ago from a pet shop which had loads of sniffly kittens with cat flu in a large cage-like pen. We only have one pet shop in the centre of town here now and I hate going there. I was there as recently as yesterday lunchtime to try and buy a couple of the large cardboard scratch pads that the boys like and I hate it there. The guy that owns it and, I presume, his son are really "pikey" and it does not have a very good reputation as I've heard a fair bit about it. They have puppies and other pets in cages in the back cordoned off by a rope barrier and there were two women in there yesterday returning a puppy, really made me sad to see it put back into the cage with two ohers. In short I hate that sort of thing and only go there because I cannot get themk anywhere round here, even pets at home don't keep them else I would get the two busses there. I suppose there might be a good pet shop somewhere but I'm firmly against pet shop such as these that keep pets in such conditions. The only good thing that I can say is that we got our lovely Suzie from one and gave her a lovng home but oine can't help feel very sad for her sibblings. It's the second time that I've been there this week, I wasted half a lunch break walking round to them on Tuesday only to be promised that they would be back in stock Thursday morning and, when I went there yesterday, they had forgotten to put them on the van, I won't be going back.

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:09:51 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #167 on: December 05, 2008, 00:12:34 AM »
Never look back, Tigerbaby, and never look down. Introspection twists the spirit.  :hug: Jameson had no link other than circumstance to that awful place.  ;) If you're seeking closure and trying to remember happier times, look toward the things that defined the kind of cat he was - look in a mirror because that face you see was the face which kept Jameson coming back for his tea.  :Luv:
Yes... I've been on the Asti because I helped pull off a great rescue today.  :evillaugh:
Lovely words  :Luv: You are so right  :Luv: :hug: Awwww. He really did come back here for his tea and his cuddles.. aww I'm sobbing again!!  :(

Helena, was it by any chance a certain petshop in Coulsdon? (town name in the shop name) If so, they are notorious for this sort of thing. One of our CP members called the RSPCA about them after she was in there and saw all the kittens were suffering from Cat flu and was advised that she was one of a long line of callers! So sad
This was a pet shop in Mitcham Road... near the end of Sumner Road? Does it ring a bell?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #166 on: December 04, 2008, 22:51:37 PM »
Never look back, Tigerbaby, and never look down. Introspection twists the spirit.  :hug: Jameson had no link other than circumstance to that awful place.  ;) If you're seeking closure and trying to remember happier times, look toward the things that defined the kind of cat he was - look in a mirror because that face you see was the face which kept Jameson coming back for his tea.  :Luv:

Yes... I've been on the Asti because I helped pull off a great rescue today.  :evillaugh:

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #165 on: December 04, 2008, 21:57:43 PM »
I haven't seen he since we discussed it so I'm not sure to be honest. She was advised that they would be in touch once they had investigated. I will find out next time our paths cross.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #164 on: December 04, 2008, 21:46:50 PM »
If she was one of a long line of callers, were they actually doing anything about it!!??

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #163 on: December 04, 2008, 21:40:42 PM »

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #162 on: December 04, 2008, 21:37:38 PM »
Those poor babies, I hope they get lovely homes but I have to say I can't blame you for walking out disgusted, pet shops need policing in some way for this sort of thing an to leave them there overnight is just criminal.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #161 on: December 04, 2008, 21:06:31 PM »
Today I decided to go the pet shop Jameson was bought from at 8 weeks old. I never had any desire to go there before, I guess I am trying to get closure on all this and it felt important to see the place he was bought from. I was shocked. What an awful place, it was very run down and the shop owner was very rude, you can tell he didn't care much about the animals. In a tank/cage next to the till was 4 tiny kittens all huddled together meowing. I can imagine their mother must've been very upset when they were taken from her, and I can imagine these kittens were scared being taken out of their comfort zone. Poor babies being left there on display, and overnight when the shop is closed from 6pm until 10am the next morning.. I tried imagining little Jameson (Scooby back then!) in that tank.. Apparently he was the last one, and when my neighbour walked in she said he looked so gorgeous but scared. My little boy being left in THAT tank all on his own! Apparently he cried all the way back to her house. I didn't like the thought of giving that man business, even though my Boy came from his shop. The tabby kittens  he had today were all cute & that but I just walked out, the place wasn't very nice. I can't believe anyone can just walk in and just choose a kitten.

I hope those kittens go to a good home though. Like another member on here said it doesn't matter where the cats come from, all cats born into this world deserve a good home.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 21:07:44 PM by tigerbaby »

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #160 on: December 02, 2008, 19:02:31 PM »
yep , Jameson will sen you the right pair of pusses! (and from what we have gleaned about Jameson expect a right naughty pair! :evillaugh:)

I will say , the occasional look on the rehoming pages on here might point you in the right direction. When we lost Oscar I was on the lookout for one kitten , preferably a Birman or a raggie.

I ended up with TWO ginger monsters (ok one is longer haired) , having never had gingers before and was head over heels in love on first sight! :Luv2:
 And all through Purrs..................  :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #159 on: December 02, 2008, 17:45:24 PM »
I don't know how I am ever going to get over the loss of Jameson, and the sadness comes in waves.

Oh I know what you mean about that, one moment the day is 'normal' then it just hits you again doesnt it?  :hug: As the others have said, the right puss will come along, whether you go looking or whether one just turns up on the doorstep, it will pull at your heartstrings and then you'll know the time is right.  :hug:

Link to CatChat