Author Topic: Just got back from Cats Protection re: adoption - am confused.  (Read 32208 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Just got back from Cats Protection re: adoption - am confused.
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2008, 20:45:44 PM »
Oh hun, I'm sorry you had such a horrible reaction.  I am really mad with the CP people who treated you like that.  Even if they firmly believe that young, healthy cats should not be kept indoors, they could have discussed it with you in a more postitive way rather than frowning with disapproval.  They may have still ended up deciding that they didn't want to rehome cats to you under those circumstances, but to reject you out of hand solely because you mentioned keeping them indoors is disgraceful imo.  They could have been nicer about it and suggested that an FIv cat or similar might suit you.  I'm not going to criticise those who think that cats should go outside, but I really dont' think that anyone offering a loving, indoor home to kittens/young cats who have never been outside before should be rejected out of hand.  I really think they should be more open minded as to what constitutes a good home.   They might not think it an ideal home, but any cats who go to live with you will be lucky cats indeed.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2008, 20:38:04 PM »
Me too.

What do we need to know as their human slaves about FIV? Are they expected to live a shorter life, do they need any medication, or other special requirements (diets etc?)

I think I might be able to help with this one  :Luv:

FIV in itself is not a problem at all, it just means that they have a compromised immune system, so they need to be kept inside so a) they don't pick up illnesses/airborne viruses, and b) they can't pass it on through fighting.

I adopted Maxy when he was about 2-3, and the only FIV related problem he's had so far has been one dental, he had a few extractions a couple of years ago, as FIV puds can be more prone to teeth and gum problems.

No special diets or drugs, the only thing we don't do is innoculate him, on the advice of our vet.

Now he has kidney and thyroid issues, but this is almost certainly age related as opposed to anything else, hence why AXA have paid out on his insurance, even though the FIV is listed as a known condition.

I would have no hesitatation in recommening adopting an FIV cat hun  :Luv: :hug:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 20:39:12 PM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2008, 20:33:30 PM »
Me too.

What do we need to know as their human slaves about FIV? Are they expected to live a shorter life, do they need any medication, or other special requirements (diets etc?)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2008, 20:17:42 PM »
how contagious is FIV? and how does a cat catch it?

It is only past on by a deep bite !
This normally takes place either when mating or with un-neutered male cats fighting
so.......
Once an FIV is neutered the chance of passing it on is slim.

Put it this way.....i would be happy to have an FIV cat with my lot

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2008, 20:14:44 PM »
West Oxon??

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2008, 20:10:50 PM »
Helena , how far are you willing to travel???
Oh, difficult one as I would happily travel for the right cats but I don't have really the time or money for it, so we were hoping to find a pair in the not too distant area as to fit mine and R's schedule together is hard as it is, and we both want to view cats together. Whereabouts were you thinking?

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2008, 20:06:09 PM »
Helena , how far are you willing to travel??? West Oxon  CP has kittens needing homes and I woul be very happy to put in a good word for you (they homechecked me)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 20:10:04 PM by Kirst »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 20:04:23 PM »
We have indoor/outdoor who are a mixture of ferals, domestics and our Ragdoll - much to most raggie breeders horror I have to add and our indoor only crew they are indoor only by our choice and they show no interest in going out at all in fact they won't even go in the utility room if the door is open they sit by the bin and look but always come running back to their nice environment.

Ours also are all differing ages from Miss Cissy at 14 to the Doodles - Beijing and Archie both under 6 months.  These cats are happy, healthy and most came inside from the cold and have all adapted well and our vets advise at fit as the others who do go out - we work extra hard with the inside ones by making life as interesting for them as possible - they have scratching posts, more toys than the Purrs shops sometimes it seems that way they have the Ba da beam laser toys - Purrs auctions we thankyou for them, they have food and stairs and beds and a lot of space on the whole they sleep through the day and are active once we mix the cres.

All ours are in at night it make take a while to round up 28 cats but it is in our routine - cold and wet weather is our friend in the winter summer takes a wee bit longer.

So from experience I have both kinds and have lost 2 to the roads my beloved Toerag and Haggis and the hardest thing I ever did was open the door and let the others out again.  We moved to an isolated place to try and offset the roads incidents and we sold our souls to get our rural idyll it took us 2 houses and a relocation away from family and friends to do it so know how hard it can be.

We have both types of cat and all are hale and healthy and above all Happy cats :Crazy:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 19:53:41 PM »
how contagious is FIV? and how does a cat catch it?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 20:01:43 PM by Indys Mamma »

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2008, 19:51:31 PM »
Will continue to have a look around. So, if FIV + cats can be kept both indoors & outdoors how come people overlook them in regards to adoption?

I think alot of people are frightened off by the FIV bit Helena.

Right gonna start WW3 off here but I dont feel that FIV have to be kept indoors and i know several vets and rescue centres that agree with my opinion too

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2008, 19:26:35 PM »
Will continue to have a look around. So, if FIV + cats can be kept both indoors & outdoors how come people overlook them in regards to adoption?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 19:20:59 PM »
Oh Helena i am so sorry it didnt go well today  :hug:

How about these 2 ....need an indoor home

http://www.orpingtoncatrescue.org.uk/desperate_cats.htm

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 19:14:03 PM »
I happen to know for a fact that there are quite a few FIV+ kittens and cats up for rehoming at the National Cat Centre (Main CP adoption centre at Chelwood Gate, Haywards heath so not too far from you) who really need an indoor home. If you can get a local rescue to do a home visit with indoor FIV puds in mind... they will need to give you a copy to take with you and then you can take your HV confirmation with you and pick up your puss cats. I got my branch to do this for me when we went to get Jasper and it was so simple... we showed our form, picked our puss, signed the paperwork and took him home.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 19:11:14 PM »
As has been said before Helena, you did everything you could to make his life wonderful so you have nothing to feel bad for  :hug: I really hop you find the right cats for you soon.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 19:10:31 PM »
I am thinking that there must be some FIV kittens out there just waiting for you to find them........................................ :hug:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 19:08:50 PM »
I appreciate what everyone is saying about keeping cats indoors at night. Most of the nights he would be indoors, but as he really hated using his litter tray and preferred going outside we decided not to lock the flap. It's a tricky one, as the road outside is very quiet at night, and mega busy in the daytime, so for us it felt as if it was safer at night-time. I know many people disagree on this one, it is just how we felt. Also judging from when we found him, the temperature of his body etc we pretty much know it happened in the morning - not that it makes a difference now. He very rarely stayed out at night, only ever to do his toilet and then he came back indoors to join us in bed. He usually woke me up around 7-8 am for his breakfast. He was very good like that, and we tried to keep him active during the day (apart from a few naps here & there) so that he would be tired at night, and mostly we were successful.

Whatever cats we get next rest assured they will be kept indoors/safe at all times. It is one thing being a human in a cats world, but a totally different thing being a cat in a human world..  :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 19:01:33 PM »
Its so hard to look at this in any way other than how you are at the moment but guilt is also part of the grieveing process and probably that is why it is fixed so hard in your memory  :hug:

Jameson made his own decisions and he was having a whale of a time and you are right he would not have been a happy cat indoors, so the two things have to balance each other out. It was not your fault but the driver that was probably driving too fast and as he did that journey the same time and same route every day , probably was not fully concentrating.

You know that you and Robin gave Jameson a great home and that he was a very happy cat who loved his life of freedom.....thats as much as you could have given him and he will send the rights cats to you  :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 19:00:10 PM »
I totally agree Sharon. When I do home visits, I always tell them that CP and I personally recommend keeping the cat in at night. Some cats will make a fuss but in time will adapt. My Oscar has always been an indoor cat at night and he even moans at the flap sometimes but I stick to my guns and he eventually accepts it and finds somewhere warm to settle for the night. The highest proportion of RTAs happen at night but there is also a scary amount of cat thefts at night also. Sometimes when it's pedigrees it is to make money, sometimes it's because people decide they want the cat and sometimes sadly it is so they can be sold for life sciences- it honestly happens more than people think.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 18:54:36 PM »
One thing i would add to this.. is cats out at night are not a good idea. I realise its hard to keepthem in esp if they have been strays and used to freedom.... and some people i do HC for tell me that they want their cat to go out at night.. I then give them a spill about the risk of traffic and the possibility that as human beings not everyone is going to stop to take an animal to a vet, or even be bothered. The odds are against you at night.. For that reason i can only advice, but there have been endless debates about cats at out night and i would be scared witless for my two and they seem fine having their evenings indoors in the warm tucked up in bed...

Of course the older the cat the less likely they are to want to go out... (as a general rule of thumb) we can only do our best... but despite the dangers i suppose its a matter of choice for us all.. But i wouldnt be able to stop my two (or any other puss cat) having their freedom..

But i stil wish you the best in finding another puss cat for your loving home...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 18:55:48 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 18:35:02 PM »
Oh Tigerbaby its so hard isnt it!!

We have always been torn between the indoor/outdoor dilema as like you we have lost a furbabes to the ro - even tho we live in a quietish village and have nothing but fields behind us. This was one of the reason we bought two pedigree Birmans , not for their pedigree but because that particular breed are known not to wander (got that right!) and we couldnt bear the heartache of losing another.
We also made the decision that they would NOT ber allowed outside berttwen dusk and dawn as an extra precaution.

Jerry and Gizzy came from Sharon , and I did promise her they would be able to go out and so they do........................but only during the day. They are both happy , healthy boys and their incarcertion at night doesnt seem to bother them one iota , and it gives me and hubby peace of mind.

I know how guilty you feel - but as Gill says the driver of the car may well have being going too fast - I had a cat run in front of me on a housing estate and as I was going about 25 mph I had no trouble stopping.................Jameson had the best a cat could ask for  - you have nothing to feel guilty for. :hug:

As regards the cats that have picked you - maybe a little white lie wont hurt and who knows what will happen in the future...............from my view they will be getting a great forever home an thats the most important thing! Maybe when time goes on you may feel able to let them out in daylight , or be able to find a way to catproof.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 19:09:05 PM by Kirst »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 18:15:40 PM »
Its so hard to look at this in any way other than how you are at the moment but guilt is also part of the grieveing process and probably that is why it is fixed so hard in your memory  :hug:

Jameson made his own decisions and he was having a whale of a time and you are right he would not have been a happy cat indoors, so the two things have to balance each other out. It was not your fault but the driver that was probably driving too fast and as he did that journey the same time and same route every day , probably was not fully concentrating.

You know that you and Robin gave Jameson a great home and that he was a very happy cat who loved his life of freedom.....thats as much as you could have given him and he will send the rights cats to you  :hug: :hug:

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 18:12:57 PM »
I would be dubious about telling a lie to them, and think that FIV+ cats would be a better option - they can go out in catproofed gardens, but the indoor only thing is partly because they have a weaker immune system, and partly to minimise them fighting and passing the virus on (and yes, neutered toms can still fight). We very rarely home indoor only, unless they come in as adults as indoor only, although we have been told cats have been indoor only and the first thing they have done is try and get out.
Please spay your cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 17:57:03 PM »
Thanks Gill.  :hug:

I have found Sasa across the road once , one night and think she was chased by an alien cat

That is so scary and I can imagine how scared you must have been. To be very honest, a couple of weeks before we lost Jameson I suddenly saw him cross the road, during morning traffic! That was a big shock to my system, as he hardly ever went round the front, we only saw him do that a very few times during the 14 months we had him. I then noticed he crossed once at night-time - I had tried to keep him in, but he really made a big fuss about going outside , so I let him go out, and noticed the alleyway sensor light came on - saw him cross the road again! I got so worried and told R about it, and how scared I felt, but none of us really knew what to do, as at this point there was no way we would even think along the lines of keeping him indoors - that would have been impossible and only resulted in an unhappy cat and guilty owners! I remember we had friends coming round in the daytime (only a few days before that awful morning) and I hadn't seen him that morning, so I told our friend that I was worried about him. SHe told me not to worry as he is probably just round the corner, perfectly fine! A few moments later he strolled indoors and I remember thinking 'Helena you gotta stop worrying, you're only making yourself feel bad, Jameson will be fine, he is streetwise enough''. We think that he had discovered something exciting across the road that he kept going back for - what we will never know. And that dreadful morning he must've left our house around 6am (impossible to trace back exactly when he went outside) but as he slept with us during the whole night we are pretty sure it was early morning and that he was knocked over by speedy traffic - our road is supposed to be residential but everyone drives as if they've stolen the car!
So I guess what I'm trying to say is, I was already worried about him and my worst nightmare became reality, which has resulted in me feeling extreme guilt for not being able to protect him, and that combined with Knowing that keeping him indoors would be too distressing for all of us is just tearing me/us apart, and instead we lost him. SO unfair!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 17:37:38 PM »
I feel gutted for you and I would have felt so angry and upset  :hug:

I agree with bc and the others , a slight untruth is the answer.

I think its so important that you have cats where you feel a real bond right from the begining and I would go back as suggested. They cant go out to start with anyway and have to say my cp never did a recheck and if they had they would have found mine still inside after 3 months cos they were too scared to walk through the open door and would run away and hide. The sounds of traffic still frightens Misa ...................remember this story  :shify: :shify: :shify:

Like you I believe that cats should go outside cos its natural but I can so understand what you are feeling and I know Tan will too. I have found Sasa across the road once , one night and think she was chased by an alien cat and I was terrified cos her instinct is to run from me but I think she was hoping for me to save her and was watching the bedroom window and saw me.

I rushed downstairs and then in bare feet edged up the path, no traffic and Sasa came racing back across the road but into a garden 3 doors up..................now a problem, how to get her from there back home.

I stayed on road side of her and she worked her way back across the gardens home and then I walked towards her and she was back on top of the wall and home before I could say Sasa...........I was so scared cos Misa was sitting in high above the wall watching.

You are right to be worried and think of Helen and her boys...they grew up as indoor kittens to cats and have only gone out this year for the first time after she moved house. It took them a while to go out side but they are now living in a cat proof garden.

You go with what you know is right and err on the side of fairy stories  :hug: :hug:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 15:44:00 PM »
Thanks Sharon and everyone else that has replied.

Yes the situation we are in now means that the cat would have to be indoor only to start with, but these circumstances may change incase we are able to totally catproof the garden, and also as we do not plan to live here forever. In my heart I know that cats should be allowed to go outside, and hopefully one day we will be living somewhere safe where I could let the cats go outside. Which brings me to the next question about FIV + cats - can they never be allowed outside? As that may spell a problem a few years down the line when we are planning on living in a bigger house, with garden, when we are settling down a little bit more (this is our first property) - ideally, this is when the cats gradually could be introduced to the outdoors. I try not to think too much about the future, but since adopting more cats are big commitments I want to look at things long term, and I would absolutely love to (one day) being able to keep cats that can go outdoors aswell as it used to bring me and R so much joy seeing Jameson outside in our garden, doing cat things - even though that often meant removing suffering mice from his claws and chasing out birds from our livingroom! We know that although we lost him tragically, having kept him indoors would have been too distressing for him - and for us.

Either way, I am sure the right opportunity will come along soon. It is a tricky subject indeed.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 15:24:25 PM »
I have to say that as the homing person for Canterbury CP, i do tend to rehome cats as outdoor cats (even pedigree, or cats that have in the past been indoor cats) because we are lucky enough to live in area where the option is still there.  May not be easy to rehome cats when you are in the middle of  big city, but lucky Canterbury area has alot of rural areas where as we all know a cat can be lost to the road as any other part of the country.. Indeed in some aspects rural homes are worse for cats being involved in accidents.

I suppose i like to give cats the choise, and having read some of Vicky Halls books the whole idea of breeders saying that Pedigree cats should only be indoor cats lead to huge behavioural problems....

Having said that if somone is around during the day and totally committed to giving a cat all the attention such an animal needs as you are its soul supplier of food, daily life and amusement then i suppose thats a different story. But in my area few people are totally committed to that for the next so many years..

Of course your home and your recent loss of Jameson has made you think about adopting an soley indoor puss cat and thats to be understood as its totally heartbreaking.. esp so young.. But what a life he had!! What lovely people he had looking after him, and how many people did he make happy.. His life was lived to the full in total enjoyment of the outside world...even though it gave you such heartbreak..! Taking on two other puss cats that can equally enjoy the life is something that your lovely Jameson would of liked i think, am i am sure he would love them to enjoy the freedom he did as well...

Its really hard and i have indeed experienced this dilemna myself with my Leo, but after two weeks indoors after his accident with his pelvis when he was all fine and healthy, i just couldnt keep him indoor any longer no matter how much i wished, as it was making him so unhappy...

BUT..... adopting two FIV puss cats mean you will save their lives and not all rescues  (as we all know) rehome such puss cats... Knowing that and maybe changing the view of rescues that there are homes out their for FIV puss cats and there isnt a need to just consider PTS will make a differerence.. Finally................i have recently (tomorrow actually) rehomed a 4yr blind puss to a young couple who live in Canterbury who have been looking for an indoor cat... But they wanted the most needy you can get.... Fergus has no sight and been in rescue for 9 months... tomorow he finds a home....

Best of luck and if i were you adopt the two you say and see how it goes and when your feelings as to the inside and outside are not so raw and recent i think these two would bring you much joy.

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 15:11:14 PM »
I think it is fair to try to find cats that have been used to outdoor access another home with a garden. When I got Kylie from CP in London 6 1/2 years ago, they said they had some indoor only and some that needed a garden. Luckily, Kylie was on of the outdoor girls  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 15:10:40 PM »
Thanks guys.
... he thought along those lines and would be prepared to tell a little porkie. I just wish it wouldn't have to come to that, I would like to be straightforward and honest about it. We'll see though, it is an option.

It's not telling a porkie at all - after all, your circumstances and address may change during the lifetime of a cat - mine certainly does, and quite radically at times. So the time may come when you can feel comfortable about letting any cat outdoors - it is just not now. The cats will tell you if they are unhappy being indoors and you know enough about their needs to make the right decision if that time arrives ...

I say go for it! ;)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 15:08:56 PM »
Cats at any stage adapt Miss Cissy spent her first 14 years outside on a farm and the last 5 months with us and looks at the snow through the family room window from her nice warm radiator bed with no wish to put a paw out in to the snow!

Blue is approx 2 years old and joined us in September of this year after his quick castration became major surgery and although a bit hissy hasn't shown any inclanation to go back out in fact he is out cold on our bed with 6 other cats cause the electric blanket is on!

Miss gracie another feral adapted at the grand old age of 15 and loved all her creature comforts and good food and left us in July this year a former feral house slooberchops of a cat!

Even today all our indoor/outdoor were in by 11.30am after we came back from the vets and have shown no inclanation to be big brave cats who play in the snow!

In fact our housecats are so well trained they all go through the familyroom door in the morning so they can be grounded in their area for the day - except |Beijing and Archie who have to be rounded up - they are always loking for their extra treats i.e the cats breakfast saucers! :-[

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 15:03:38 PM »
FIV+ kitties don't require any daily medication etc and can go on to live long and happy lives.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 14:53:38 PM »
Thanks guys.
Yes that is so true - I didn't even think about it! Robin just said that he thought along those lines and would be prepared to tell a little porkie. I just wish it wouldn't have to come to that, I would like to be straightforward and honest about it. We'll see though, it is an option.

Yes FIV+ kittens are an option - do they require daily medication or other special care? To be honest we arent really that specific about what we want (apart from young-ish cats) - if we saw a blind or deaf cat or a 3 legged one that we felt a connection with than there is nothing that would stop us from rehoming them. I guess we are just going by our gut feelings etc. When Jameson adopted us we got that nice feeling that he chose us and that is what we're hoping to get from whatever puds we end up taking home.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 14:49:33 PM »
I've got to say, I'm with Liz and Blackcat on this - if you have your hearts set on the two that you saw then being economical with the truth won't hurt!  At only 6 months old then they should be able to easily adapt to being indoor cats.   If you don't want to be economical with the truth then there will be another perfect pair out there for you to have in your indoor home.

Karen

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 14:46:07 PM »
If you really like them, then I would go back and tell them I had thought it over and would allow them outdoors once they had settled in - not like they are gonna check up on you later after all!. Sounds like a lot of ill-informed people manning the stands at that particular organisation ...

I totally agree with BC .. I would say that you have had a  think and you can see the sense in letting them out ... then simply keep them indoors.

After all what are the going to do if they turn up ... make you open the door and put the cats out ... I don't think so!  :rofl:

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 14:47:43 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 14:43:33 PM »
You could be economical with the truth and advise you would let them out but you don't have to when they come home - yes CP do followup home checks but youc an say oh both cats are in at the moment!

You and OH have a lot to offer any lucky fur kids - Jamieson having you well trained will be an asset

Keep your chin up somewhere out ther are you 2 perfect babies they just have to find you :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 14:38:58 PM »
 :hug: I know how hard it is rehoming a cat soon after losing one, we have just been through it BUT don't lose hope- you will find the right situation where you can rehome the most perfect cats for you.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 14:33:34 PM »
I'm really sorry you didn't have a good time. Perhaps you could think about adopting some FIV+ kittens? They would be healthy and very much the usual energetic young cats you are after. FIV+ cats must be kept indoors but apart from that can lead very normal lives so maybe they would fit your situation perfectly? I know that the National Cat Centre have quite a few adorable young FIV+ cats up for rehoming at the moment. You would need to call them to arrange a HV before you went down there so as not to ahve a wasted journey but I'm sure the could help you. There are lots of people on here who would be able to reassure you that having an FIV puss is just the same as any other. I understand it may not be the way you want to go but just a suggestion.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 14:23:54 PM »
If you really like them, then I would go back and tell them I had thought it over and would allow them outdoors once they had settled in - not like they are gonna check up on you later after all!. Sounds like a lot of ill-informed people manning the stands at that particular organisation ...

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Just got back from Cats Protection re: adoption - am confused.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 14:18:50 PM »
It required us to pluck up some strength in the first place to even go along to the Show Day our local Cats Protection had organised. I'm sure you understand, mixed emotions with the constant voice inside your head telling us that we are not replacing Jameson, but merely offering a loving home to other cats in need. Etc etc.

After having been a member here for over a year now, I have on a daily basis read and understood that cats can be perfectly happy indoors, although that was something I never 'agreed' with as such, and still to this day I believe cats should have the outdoor option - in an ideal world. We learned the hard way, and now I know that it really depends on where you live and your circumstances. It took me a LOT of thinking to even let the words ''indoor cats'' slip through my lips, but that combined with my love for cats changed my mind about a lot of things. For one- I/we can now imagine having indoor cats. Something you would never in a million years time hear us say a few weeks ago, especially not Robin who grew up with cats on the countryside, all living long and healthy lives going outdoors, doing what cats do.

But when we turned up at the Show today, I was quite surprised and disappointed at the reactions from the rehoming staff when we said we were looking for Indoor cats. The first person almost frowned and explained that it wouldn't be fair on the cats, and that it is natural for cats to go outside. As if I don't know that! I explained that a few weeks ago I would have whole hearted agreed, but that unfortunately we lost our cat to the road. I explained (while trying hard not to break into tears) that we wanted to rehome 2 cats as a pair, and the younger they were the more we felt that they would adopt to indoor life, and the less they would 'miss' the outdoors. I said we have looked into catproofing the garden, but because of the weird layout (we live on lower ground floor, with garden a few steps up (street level) - so next door lower ground neighbours roof is easily accessed by cats and nearly impossible to catproof). She disagreed. She said they will simply not rehome young cats to indoor homes only as it's not fair to them. I did feel hurt, not in a personal way but more in a ''don't you understand, we are cat lovers and we have a safe and loving forever home to offer'' kind of way.

Next person we spoke to gave us a very similar reaction when we said we were looking for 2 indoor cats, preferably very young ones. She tried giving us the argument that cats over 4 years old are 'safe' to let outdoors as they hardly stray and mostly stay on the garden. It annoyed me, I told her that I rather not chance it and risk losing another one - what is the guarantee that a 4 year+ old cat is going to be safe outside?? Robin firmly had to tell her that he was not prepared to risk going through the same heartache of losing a beloved friend and face burying another healthy young cat by using her logic.

It puzzled us - they don't rehome young cats as indoors only as they should be allowed outside, but cats over 4 years old are 'safe' to let outside. What about those 4 years in between? Are people expected to let their young non-streetwise cats outside and just HOPE that they don't get run over?

Don't get me wrong, we did speak to a few lovely people, who explained about catproofing and even offered us to come round to have a look at their cat proofed gardens. That is all great, but even if there was a way of cat proofing ours, it would still take some time and money, and it's not something we can afford time & money wise at this minute, a work in progress possibly, but it's not the next top priority on our to-do list.

We even had 2 cats (brothers!) choosing us - Robin was absolutely besotted with them. A tabby and Black, 6 months old. They pretty much went up to R and rubbed themselves against his arm. The black boy rolled over on his back (like Jameson used to do) and let R stroke his belly. The rehoming lady said she would have no problem letting us take them, but only if we could let them outside. Shame - as right now we just can't.

The whole experience admittedly left us feeling a bit disappointed. We had assumed that by us offering a safe, loving indoor home would had been welcomed with open arms by them, knowing the cats would be loved and safe for the rest of their lives. Instead, some of the staff made us feel that we were being cruel even considering keeping them indoors. It is a huge thing for us and even feels very weird talking about indoor cats, as we both believe in letting cats do what is natural to them, chasing mice, lounging around, sniffing things.. And whenever we move (maybe in 3-5 years time) hopefully it will be in a safe-r place (planning to go further out towards countryside!) and maybe by then we can either have the garden catproofed or make a decision there and then whether it would be safe to let them outside. But that is far away and we want to live in the now. The outside road is supposed to be a residential road but the traffic is crazy. The more we think about it the more we realise how dangerous it is. It's as if something has gone 'click' in our brains and we opened our eyes.

We were told to look for a blind or deaf cat, or one with an illness. And we understand that those cats also deserve a loving home, but what we need right now is to bring back some of that young-cat energy back to our house, that is so quiet and empty without Jameson, and we would love 2 little terrors, we are looking for young-ish kittens simply put!

Anyway sorry for rambling on - I just assumed that rescues would understand about the Indoor thing and we didn't expect that reaction from them. We are just feeling a bit disheartened I guess.
Are there any rescues for indoor cats only, because I rather not go to Battersea to hear the same thing, making me feel like I'm doing something wrong by choosing to keep them indoors.

Rant over.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 14:19:29 PM by tigerbaby »

Link to CatChat