Author Topic: Just got back from Cats Protection re: adoption - am confused.  (Read 32210 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Just got back from Cats Protection re: adoption - am confused.
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2008, 09:00:20 AM »
I agree - I think what Sharon said, basically "horses for courses" = people have to make judgements based on their own circumstances. I know people on here are responsible but some aren't and rescues have to make judgements for them for the sake of the cats - this can be inflexible at times and each case needs judging on its own merit? (Unlike the rescue woman that told me "we don't rehome to certain postcodes"  :tired: )
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2008, 08:56:28 AM »
I agree Mark in a perfect world but after loosing a cat on the road myself I can totally see where Helena is coming from, surely it is is irresponsible to take on another cat knowing one has already been killed without taking some kind of precautions and if her garden isn't suitable for proofing what choice does she have

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2008, 08:45:13 AM »
Tigerbaby I too had an awful experience with my local CP when we embarked on wanting to rehome a cat (or 2) I'm not going to go into it as it was 2 years ago but it left a very bitter taste in my mouth for a long time after.

We ended up trying another elsewhere and they were very understanding and had just had an indoor only cat come in. This indoor only cat now has supervised garden access along with his little friend who was a stray. If Jess had been rehomed by another rescue I dread to think what would have happened to him as there was no way he would go out it took months to build his confidence.

Don't give up hope there will be puds out there for you  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2008, 08:35:15 AM »
I agree that cats can be happy as indoor but cats + sun =  :Luv2:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2008, 08:29:16 AM »
its just that kind of thing that sends people to pet shops - sorry you had to go through it Helena

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »
We very rarely home as indoor only cats, and very rarely get enquiries for them. I can only think of 2 adults that have gone as indoor, one was a stray who showed no signs of wanting to go out, one came as indoor only. I did home a kitten to a work colleague as indoor only (same reasoning, kitten wont know any different), and all the kittens from that litter were pestering to go out from the age of 10 weeks old, so I suspect the person who had the mum cat had been allowing them to go out, as we know the mum had been out since the kits were born. She ended up using a harness and lead to make sure the kitten would be safe (Back is fine, front isn't).
Please spay your cat

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2008, 19:54:40 PM »
I think it is absolutely right for any rescue to try and match outdoor cats to homes with safe outdoors. I would encourage this any time. There is definately not a right or wrong thing to do, and me and R  like so many other people here think that every cat has the right to go outdoors. Unfortunately, with the growing number of homeless cats in combination with people wanting to offer Indoor only homes I think that some rescues (Croydon CP for ex) should not overlook people that can only offer an indoor only home.

Our next cats will probably be allowed outside - 100 % supervised - when we are in the garden. Some cats may never stray from the garden if they are used to the safe indoors, and who knows, maybe our next cats will be like that, that would be amazing. We will also (in time) look up cat proofing. I think cat proofing is ultimately the way to go, but also from speaking to various members on here I know that cats can be perfectly fine and happy indoors too.

To ALL of you - thanks for your replies and advice. It doesn't matter whether you are for or against in/outdoors, because I know that our decisions comes down to how we feel in our hearts, and that we all are doing this in the best interest of our cats, because we love them and want the best for them.  :Luv:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2008, 19:31:29 PM »
Sharon, my branch operates in a very similar way to yours... we would always look to give cats homes with access to the outside, especially younger cats and cats who love the outside BUT we also like to find puss cats for people who live in an area which requires indoor only and suggest FIV, disabled or older cats. It really is important to match the right cat to the environment. This is advice we have got from CP headoffice and is likely to be what the majority of branches also do although dependent on area, there are obvious exceptions to teh rules and in some areas it's preferable to rehome to indoor homes. I'm not saying it's wrong to keep cats indoors only but just what the opinion of our branch is.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2008, 19:25:57 PM »
Am i being unrealistic? Well i dont suppose our branch has anywhere near as many kittens as Ela branch does (currently 60 this year).. but i havent rehomed any of them as indoor puss cats... I have homed several indoor puss cats as now outdoor puss cats, and i have rehomed 6 FIV, 1 blind, 2 elderly persians and thats about it..

I suppose its very much a case of where our branches are and what area we cover.. If we were not so rural i would obv be homing to indoor homes more so, but perhaps we are just lucky to have homes where outside access is the norm.. Some indoor homes that have emailed me i have put onto Bredhurst and FIVs, but i suppose there is nothing anybody taking on a kitten or cat for solely indoor home only when we have said "no" to kittens...

I know that Sheppey branch that try to help with do rehome as indoor only because the majority of the homes that way are on busy streets and roads so they wouldnt rehome anything if they were so inflexiable..

There is probably no wrong or right answer just ourl prespective on things and what area we cover..

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2008, 19:14:24 PM »
Has Maxi Moo ever shown any signs of desire to go outdoors?

Not really hun, and bearing in mind he was picked up as a stray and was well used to outdoor life, he adapted amazingly well.

He sits mooing by the front door sometimes, but that's mainly if he sees another cat outside.  If he does manage to sneak out the door between my legs when I'm bringing in the food shopping, all he wants to do is eat a bit of grass, he never makes a bolt for it or anything like that  :)

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2008, 18:58:05 PM »
  its a bit like your comment' Any decent homing person can smell a lie at fifty feet anyway!!' a decent fosterer can tell what would be the ideal home.

Which is why its essential not to stretch the 'truth' and get something thats not suitable in the longterm!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2008, 18:47:54 PM »
Its not 100% that young kittens will accept an indoor life and never long to go out (what happens then, a horrible decision to let them out and take their chances and risk that heartbreak all over again) a pair of adult cats who have never been out and dont show any interest in doing so would be more than happy having your love.

But surely many of those indoor adults would have also been indoor kittens. We home numerous kittens a year as I previously posted many of the are indoor only, if we didn't do that we would home so few that they would possibly be adult and in a pen for months  possible a year or more if we did not home them as indoor. Occasionally we do get kittens and cats who we know would rather be indoor/outdoor, and for those we would ensure they get what we know would be in their interest.  its a bit like your comment' Any decent homing person can smell a lie at fifty feet anyway!!' a decent fosterer can tell what would be the ideal home.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2008, 18:12:28 PM »
Of course - and if we see the right pair, there is nothing stopping us from rehoming a couple of 10 year olds. As I said earlier we will let the cats choose us, but right now, in our heads, we have this idea about finding kittens from same litter. We have this idea in our head that it would suit us really well, both me and R have time at our house due to us working from home a lot of the time, and we really would like that young cat energy back in our house. It's quiet, and we miss having a little terror hanging off our curtains, scratching our £600 sofa and mat-surfing round the lounge.  :Luv: We want lively cats, we want a bit of chaos. I'm not saying older cats can't do that, and who knows, we might end up adopting 2 oldies, blind, deaf and 3 legged and we would still love them all the same. It's actually really hard knowing exactly what you're looking for, as when we got Jameson we werent' looking for anything, let alone a cat!!  :Luv:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 18:17:22 PM by tigerbaby »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2008, 18:05:24 PM »
I dont agree with stretching the truth and keeping them indoors when you say otherwise  :shy:
Any decent homing person can smell a lie at fifty feet anyway!!

Its not 100% that young kittens will accept an indoor life and never long to go out (what happens then, a horrible decision to let them out and take their chances and risk that heartbreak all over again) a pair of adult cats who have never been out and dont show any interest in doing so would be more than happy having your love.  :Luv2:
Theres also many unwanted pedigrees out there who are more than happy to have an indoor life.

Im not against indoor kittens but they should be chosen accordingly to make it as likely as possible they are happy with their environment.

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2008, 17:53:16 PM »
Am crossing everythng for you!!! :Luv2:

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2008, 17:46:51 PM »
That is fantastic. Will call her first thing tomorrow :)

Fingers crossed she will agree to rehome as Indoor cats.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2008, 17:30:37 PM »
My pleasure,

Yes I did mention your name to her husband who took my message, I thought it right that I should ring them and let them know that you might ring. They are a great couple and she is a great fosterer and she has been very helpful and supportive since I adopted Alfie and we have become good friends.

All the best and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Leigh

PS if you e-mail me webmaster at alfie-cat dot co dot uk I can forward you her last e-mail to me which contains pictures of her previous mother cat's litter which, I believe, have all found homes.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 17:38:15 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2008, 17:23:55 PM »
Great - will definately call her tomorrow then. Did you mention me? I will tell them that you gave me their number.

Thanks a lot  :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 17:24:28 PM by tigerbaby »

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2008, 17:20:38 PM »
Hiya,

I rang Liz earlier and spoke to her husband. She was out collecting a mother cat and kittens which she will foster. She has just found homes for her previous litter.

Best of luck.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2008, 17:15:47 PM »
Hi Leigh!!
Yes I did - will call them tomorrow. I actually did a few days volunteering with CAS a while back so I know Barbara and was going to contact her anyway!
I saw your story on their website about Alfie  :Luv:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2008, 17:11:24 PM »
Hi Helena,

Did you get my PM?.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2008, 16:56:24 PM »
Does that apply to cats that have been used to outdoor access?

Yes,  you can soon tell if a cat will adapt and to be honest we get far more requests for indoor only cats so if we didn't home many as indoor only we would be stuck with pens full of cats and therefore unable to help many more so desperately wanting to come into care.

Also, if you had some cats in that had never been out and some that were used to gardens, would you try to home them accordingly? -

Cat that have never been out we always re-home as indoor cats. Also as someone else as posted most cats will easily adapt to being indoor only, I know mine did after an incident and I decided that I would keep mine in. Also as posted before the health of one cat improved 100% once I started to keep her in.

Sharon has the same point of view that we could be sentencing young cats to 20 years indoors - I know it isn't always possible but I think a secure garden or even patio is preferable. Maybe that is too idealistic.

I think it is. When you have up to 50 kittens, few requests for them and the only requests are from people who can offer a fabulous indoor only home, then we take it. We need to home to help more cats/kittens. Even then far to many kittens ar4e no homed until they are at least 6-8 months.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2008, 15:54:00 PM »
Thanks for all your replies.

We wouldn't really want to adopt a cat that is used to going outside, and keep him/her inside - that wouldn't be fair. This is the reason we want very young cats that has never been outdoors, so that they don't ''know'' what they are missing out on. This is also the reason we want to rehome TWO of them, preferably from the same litter/friends, so that they will always have company when we are out.

Me and R had a conversation last night - as we are not planning on living in this place forever, the sensible (& right now, only option) would be to keep cats indoors to start with, and as and when we move we will then make a decision about catproofing the garden to let them out. By then the cats will be older, adapted to indoor life so might be happy to stay indoors, or occasionally venture outdoors when they feel like it, but not being able to/wanting to go any further from the garden.

As we both believe cats should have outdoor access (in an ideal world) this is the best option for us, right now, as it's a little peace of mind for us to say ''we are keeping them indoors to start with''.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2008, 15:43:11 PM »
Absolutely. Friends of mine had, at one point, 5 cats (down to 1 now- the others have died of old age), all indoor cats. When they first had cats they were living in a high rise flat so no choice, and by the time they moved to a house with a garden they felt the cats were too old to adapt to being able to go out. 4 of the 5 were variously strays or in a bad way in dodgy pet shops, 3 were kittens when they got them, and a happier set of cats you couldn't have wished to meet. It's having a home and lots of love that matters.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2008, 13:11:21 PM »

Rescues should really not be so quick to turn away loving homes for their cats, at the end of the day living in a cage at the rescue has got to be far worse for them than having full roam of a house with laps to sit on and people to love them even if they can't go out.

i so agree with this

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »
I'm so sorry it went badly for you, I remember my dilemma of indoor or outdoor with my 2 and in the end I let them decide what they wanted. They weren't fussed at all for the first 3 or 4 months but as the summer started, they began to spend time sitting by the front door yelling to explore outdoors. So eventually I gave in and went out with them for an hour or so. After a bit of sniffing around, they seemed to tire of the whole thing and came back indoors and things have been the same ever since. We live in a rented flat so can't have a cat flap so they can only go out in daylight and when we are home and we have to leave the door open so they can get back in. Because of this they go out extremely rarely now that is it winter as it is dark most of the time we are home and when we let them out, they just come back after 15 minutes or so. They don't seem bothered at all by this and never yell at the door anymore.

When we adopted them we said we would allow them out, but there was no specification as to how often or whether they would be able to come and go freely. We only had 1 follow up homecheck and the it was never mentioned. To be honest, I would say there is a difference between allowing cats free roam outdoors and allowing them supervised access for an hour or so when they are hungry and tend to come in pretty quick.

Rescues should really not be so quick to turn away loving homes for their cats, at the end of the day living in a cage at the rescue has got to be far worse for them than having full roam of a house with laps to sit on and people to love them even if they can't go out.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »
To be frank, i have had cats who were outdoor cats, who have due to circumstances needed to adapt to indoor life. They do. It takes time, love and patience with the results of the temporary stress of wanting out - but really, we can't let them out for at least 6 weeks after they have come to us, and by that stage, the worst of it is generally over. If someone is at home during the day, there is lots of enrichment around, and (ideally) the cat has a companion cat, then they cope very well. My mother's cats had had free range over miles of countryside before she moved into a unit - they adapted very well and lived out their lives happily. One of them is now living with my sister and has the option of being an outdoor cat once more, but prefers to stay inside. The other, who had been adopted when mum was in the unit, and who also has outdoor access, is thriving as an outdoor kittie. I really don't understand why it is considered such a challenge, as the indoor cat is healthy, safe from risks such as traffic, other animals and people and they thrive Surely you can't wish for better than that ... Sorry, rant over...

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2008, 10:28:53 AM »
We are more than happy to re-home most cats as indoor only. All the fosterers keep their own cats in.

Does that apply to cats that have been used to outdoor access?

Also, if you had some cats in that had never been out and some that were used to gardens, would you try to home them accordingly? - I just think sometimes and I know Sharon has the same point of view that we could be sentencing young cats to 20 years indoors - I know it isn't always possible but I think a secure garden or even patio is preferable. Maybe that is too idealistic  :sigh:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2008, 09:38:24 AM »
The lady who homechecked me from a branch of CP kept her own cats as indoor. 
I think it is sensible thing to do that if you are near roads
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2008, 09:33:35 AM »
Take for example Ela (Chesterfield CP) I know she positively encourages indoor only homes

Honestly, I did not see that before I posted my last post.  ;D

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2008, 09:32:09 AM »
We are more than happy to re-home most cats as indoor only. All the fosterers keep their own cats in.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 09:45:17 AM by Ela »

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2008, 07:07:14 AM »
Hi Helena,

I sent you a PM.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2008, 01:13:42 AM »
Don't be disheartened Helena, different CP branches seem to have completely different policies which seems to be based purely on the coordinator's own personal opinion.  Take for example Ela (Chesterfield CP) I know she positively encourages indoor only homes.  It's different if a cat has been used to going out but if it's a young cat that has never gone out then I really don't see the problem.

I had similar issues when I was looking to adopt, I emailed all rescues within a 50 mile radius asking whether they would consider homing two indoor kittens.  I explained my home set up, why they would need to be indoor, how long I worked, the fact that I have cat proofed windows, how I appreciated indoor cats required more attention and stimulation, how I'd be prepared to home kittens with special needs, how if I was out of their catchment area I could provide vet references and/or donate to another charity to do a homecheck on their behalf etc etc.  The majority of replies were a blanket No and some implied it was wrong to even consider homing kittens indoors.  CP said No, RSPCA said Yes.  I think about 4 out of 20 said Yes...

I eventually found my gorgeous baby boys and they spent the first year of their lives as indoor only, they weren't unhappy or stressed neither did they have any behavioural problems.  I did worry that they were 'missing out' but at the end of the day they were just two normal, happy, healthy kittens who grew into cats.  I moved earlier this year just after their first birthday and cat proofed the garden and whilst there's no doubt they thoroughly enjoy playing in the garden they are not any happier now they have outside access as they were always happy, contented little boys.

:luck: with your search, I'm sure Jameson will guide the two perfect kitties to you  :hug:

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2008, 22:24:38 PM »
Although I am planning on catproofing our patio for Indy he seems perfectly happy indoors, he has 3 scratching posts, loads of toys and human company 80+% of the time, dogs all the time

Soon I plan on getting him a feline friend to keep him fully stimulated

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2008, 22:07:46 PM »
Before I got Jaffa and Magpie, it would never have occurred to me to keep cats indoors.  And if it had occurred to me, I'd have thought it wrong.  I had never known indoor cats, and always thought cats needed to go outside.  I still think that cats get a lot of pleasure through being outside, and that their outdoor access shouldn't be curtailed without a lot of thought and committment to providing a satisfying indoor environment.  But I knew that I didn't live in a safe area.  I live right next to a main road, and near a bend in the road too.  There are people near me who have cats that go outside (and stick to the grassy areas surrounding the flats), and if I'd lived in the flat next to me (which I was offered) I would probably have let them go outside as that flat has it's own door from living room to outside.  But then I started buying cat magazines and realised that some people kept cats indoors.  I also bought a book called Keeping your indoor cat sane and sound, by an american author.  I started to realise it was doable.  After a lot of thought, I got my boys.  I still wasn't 100% sure about keeping them indoors all the time, and actually got someone to come and give me a quote for putting a cat flap into my double glazed windows (I live in a ground floor flat).  At one point, I actually opened the window and tried to entice them outside.  They were about 6-7 months at that point and had been neutered.  They weren't keen.  Even when I stood outside with treats, they wouldn't come.  At one point, I picked Jaffa up and placed him outside.  He looked a bit stunned and then tried to get back inside (I ended up lifting him through the open window).  I think he was just unsure about climbing out the window and, in time, would have been ok about going outside if he could just walk through a door.  But it did convince me that they weren't exactly gagging to go outside.  So I decided that they would be indoor cats, and to be honest I've never looked back.  Jaffa is sat on my knee now purring.  Yes, he would have enjoyed being outside.  And no, keeping cats inside is not just a case of shutting doors.  But I think my boys (including Magpie who is now at rainbow bridge) are happy indoors.  They are missing out on something - I don't kid myself they aren't - but they are content and enjoy their indoor lives.  Some cats will need more attention and more imaginative games to be happy indoors than others, but I think it can be done with most cats.  The exception being cats who are already used to going outside.  I think that at the end of the day it's down to how much effort you are prepared to put into keeping them entertained.  Sometimes it can be hard when you come home from work tired and have to find the time and effort to entertain the cats who have been asleep all day.  But it's worth it to know that they are both safe and happy.  I'm not saying that those who allow their cats outdoor access are wrong.  Most have taken that decision with their cats' interests at heart, and should not be made to feel guilty for that decision.  But I don't think I will ever allow a cat of mine to have full outdoor access.  Imo, a catproof garden or enclosure is ideal, but if that is not doable, then an indoor life is fine.

Sorry about the lack of paragraphs.  I've just finished my 3rd glass of wine  ;)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2008, 21:50:41 PM »
Before I got Memph I always thought cats needed to be outside. Then I started to do some in depth cat research before I got him to decide how I want to bring him up - food/toys/litter/indoor/outdoor etc etc etc. Well after reading too many horror stories I decided indoor as not able to cat proof at the moment. I can't tell anyone how pleased I am about that decision. Based on his personality and the area I live in I wouldn't feel safe having him outside and its not something I'm prepared to risk.

He is sooooooooooooooooooo happy. He's got tons to do, is never bored, never had the desire to go outside. He will sit on the window watching the world go by.

Now the thing is, he's from a place who firmly believes in cats being outdoors. When I got him they were reminding me about getting him neutered before allowed out, I just simply nodded. I honestly don't think he's missing out on anything ... he goes hunting for spiders/bugs, plays with people, him and Molly play together (shes just like an oversized cat  :evillaugh:), he's always got company. The best thing is I know he's safe  :Luv: 

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2008, 21:42:29 PM »
If you've decided that indoor cats are what you want, then dont' be put off by those who tell you it's wrong.  Stick to what you think is the right thing to do.  I'd love to provide some outdoor access for my boys (esp Mosi) but it's not possible to do so safely at the moment, and I dont' think they're unhappy inside.  They are both fantastic boys.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2008, 21:16:35 PM »
Has Maxi Moo ever shown any signs of desire to go outdoors?

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2008, 21:13:13 PM »
Thanks Clare - very useful! Sounds easy and straightforward. Would not mind one single bit, as long as we can consider letting them outside if and when we move to a safe area/catproofed garden. It would be hard to guarantee we wouldn't let them outdoor, incase we happen to move to the ideal place with the ideal garden/surroundings.

You'd need to vaccinate, but otherwise that would not be a problem.

If we owned our house, I'd have proofed our garden by now to let my boy outside.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008, 21:08:38 PM »
Thanks Clare - very useful! Sounds easy and straightforward. Would not mind one single bit, as long as we can consider letting them outside if and when we move to a safe area/catproofed garden. It would be hard to guarantee we wouldn't let them outdoor, incase we happen to move to the ideal place with the ideal garden/surroundings.

Thanks Susanne, we did feel awkward - they weren't actually rude as such, but some of the peoples reactions just told us that they were thinking 'oh no, these people clearly don't understand cats basic needs''. It was the first time me and R had been to an event like that in hope to adopt - and it was only the 2nd time R had ever been to an event like that (he was a bit put off, and might take a bit of persuading taking him to Battersea- he'll probably make me call them first to ensure they accept 'indoor applicants' as well not to waste our time as he is so busy right now with work commitments)... and it was awkward enough talking about Indoor cats as that is totally new to us anyway. One woman talked to me as if I was a little girl that needed educating - it made me feel uncomfortable and insecure about what I wanted.

Link to CatChat