Author Topic: The kittens have arrived  (Read 42994 times)

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
Re: The kittens have arrived
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2008, 09:20:57 AM »
i am so excited....last night before bed i  sat on the kitchen floor with my legs out and within 5 mins they were both lying down my legs purring then started wrestling. it was a real turning point, i am so pleased  :Luv:  i sat on the floor again this morning and they came up for another cuddle,(why do i never have my camera with me) i made the most of them being still and combed them which they seemed to enjoy untill floss started biting tepe's tail and they rolled off my lap and off they went rolling around the kitchen floor.

tepe seems to have food or something else similar looking on his fur tried to comb it out but it sort of matted i tried a damp cloth but didn't help, any suggestions?
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2008, 18:15:09 PM »
was sweeping the kitchen floor with a dust pan and brush and they thought it was a game and were trying to flick the bits back out of the dustpan, not at all helpful whilst trying to clean up as my land lord is coming tonight.

:evillaugh:

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2008, 17:39:27 PM »
hehe how cute! mine seem to do that as well, have a funny 15mins chasing each other! got a bit heated this afternoon lots of growling and hissing....bless!!

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2008, 17:34:25 PM »
bless you girlies thank you x

i keep chuckling to myself they keep wrestling with each other, last night tepe had floss pinned on the floor with his mouth round his throat and floss was yelping, i clapped really loudly and they stopped and then carried on, so i went off to bed and was wondering what i would wake up to this morning!

when they are running and jumping on each other for some reason they insist on doing it around and in the litter tray  :sick: i tried to wipe their paws but 5 mins later theyare covered! cheeky monkey's  :naughty:

i also ave a large can of flea spray for the house should i feel the need!

each day is getting better, i don't feel so out of my deapth.

i was sweeping the kitchen floor with a dust pan and brush and they thought it was a game and were trying to flick the bits back out of the dustpan, not at all helpful whilst trying to clean up as my land lord is coming tonight. i told them they had to be on their best behaviour hee hee.

:thanks:

Rhiannon (TF)

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2008, 15:16:07 PM »
Have a missed something? I thought they were both boys?

Oh yes, sorry, I had read the first part of this thread the other day and obviously forgot, told you it was a stupid comment  :rofl: !!! Ok, forget that plan then. Off to make a cup of tea and to find my thinking cap .............

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2008, 13:35:32 PM »
 :doh: :doh:   :rofl: :rofl:   (Mad cat ladies....)  :P

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2008, 13:27:56 PM »
But they are both boys!!!!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Hannikat

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2008, 13:25:22 PM »
Have a missed something? I thought they were both boys?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »
With their names, I know it's probably going to sound really really stupid, but can you not just swap them round, so Floss for the girl and Tepe for the boy?

Em, that's inspired!   Never thought of that.....!!  Hope you have a nice lunch with your two this afternoon

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »
Sounds like you're doing great being a new Meowmy to 2 such lovely ickle furries. It is all so daunting to start with, but you'll soon get into a routine with it all. And any questions, just ask as there are so many experienced people on here who are all willing to give good advice. It must be hard with Mike away, but think of what a great weekend you'll have playing with your new little monsters  :Luv: I've managed to get the afternoon off work today and so I told my 2 when I left this morning that I'll be back at lunch today and we can have lunch together in the garden (it was sunny when I left!!) and then play some fun games all afternoon, the cleaning can wait  :evillaugh:

My 2 had fleas when they arrived. When we picked them up the lady said oh they've got a few visitors on them and so we weren't too worried. The next morning when we went down to the kitchen, their bed which had one of my old black jumpers in, was covered in white fleas eggs. We went and got some frontline spray from the vets and so within 12 hours of coming home the poor little babies were drenched with a "flea spray shower", and weren't too impressed! They looked so sad and grumpy, I felt so mean. But the fleas started to fall off and the kitchen floor was covered, they must have been so uncomfortable and itchy poor things. But touchwood we haven't had any more problems with fleas and now I have a huge bottle of expensive flea spray sat in the cupboard  :tired:!

With their names, I know it's probably going to sound really really stupid, but can you not just swap them round, so Floss for the girl and Tepe for the boy?

With the worktops, it's so hard trying to stop them. We've got a small winerack built into our kitchen, smaller than yours, so each hole fits one bottle. Polly went into the bottom hole first and then they discovered that they could climb up it like a ladder to get onto the worktop! As the shelf bits are removeable I was worried they'd fall so I ended up taking them out for a while. But they will get onto the worktops as it's new and they want to discover what's there. For the first couple of months we shut them in the kitchen at night, I used to go and check on them just before I went to sleep. I remember going in once and Polly was all tucked up in her bed and Fergus was no where to be seen. I eventually found him asleep on the worktop in the corner where the boiler is on the wall above, he was right tucked up in the corner bless him. he kept wanting to sleep there for some reason so I ended up putting a cosy blanket up there for him.

Honestly you're doing fine though, it's natural to feel emotional. Enjoy it whilst they're young and dinky  :Luv:  :Luv:  :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2008, 07:23:04 AM »
Yep, all my puds have always jumped up on the benches.  Just keeping them clean seems to do the trick.  Haven't ever come down with anything nasty that I'd directly attribute to the cats (apart from obsessive compulsive disorder!  :evillaugh:)

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2008, 21:15:19 PM »
thanks girlies. i think theywould hurt themselves by getting down cause they are quite high. soon learn their lesson i guess.

Rhiannon x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2008, 21:10:00 PM »
ummm cats on worktops ... that age old issue.  Personally I have never stopped any of my lot getting onto the work surfaces ... it saves so much stress in the long run  :naughty:  I used to try lifting them down every time they jumped up but then it just became a battle of wills and I have to say cats have alot more patience than I have and they would simply wait until I left the room then jump up again  :rofl:  Also as I give my furries a free run of the house when I am at work all day it hardly seemed fair to make them stay off the worktops when I was at home as I knew full lwell they would jump up the minute I left the house.

As long as you keep the surfaces clear and wipe them down regularly (Milton fluid is good) I can't see a problem but that's just my view.

Cat's are not like dogs and the more you try to train them the more they will rebel!  Cats are naturally curious so if you are doing something on the worktop they will invariably have to jump up to have a look to see what you are doing in case they are missing something!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2008, 20:59:31 PM »
Let them choose their own wine, Rhiannon.  It'll save so much grief in the long run!  ;) :evillaugh:

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2008, 20:49:33 PM »
thank you you a really kind, it is a lot harder than i remember, it'sreally hard work to keep up with them with the constant feeding, pooping, and cleaning...endless at times i do wonder if i did the right thing cause taking them both on but i know eventually they will settle and life wil be a different pace. 

i have found it really dificult doing this on my own aswell, not only are they a challenge but i miss mike so much, i am so emotional at the moment keep crying all the time (even you last couple of post to me have got me teary eyed).

we put an offer on a house today one that we saw last weekend, they sellers want more i hate this whole battle of wills, feels like my life is in someone else's hands.

in the picture you can see the wine rack thay have take refuge to when they get a bit unsettled which isn't ideal but right now i am fine with it cause i would rather them run and hide there than run behind the fridge or tumble dryer.

i went into the kitchen earlier and found one of them in the second from top wine shelf any tips on how to keep them from getting on the surfaces, i thought it would be a long while until i would have to deal with this problem.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2008, 18:36:04 PM »
It sounds to me like they're settling in really well.  Because there are two of them, they will play with each other quite a lot, but they'll be getting used to you, whether you realise it or not, and they'll know you're their Number 1 Mum.   ;D  Think maybe you were feeling a bit unsure of yourself at first, probably because you're on your own at the moment with Mike being away, and it's quite a big step bringing two little bundles of fluff into your home then doing a vet's trip and the whole de-fleaing and worming thing when you're new to it.  Sounds to me like you're shaping up wonderfully well as Tepe and Floss's Mum  :hug:  ;)

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2008, 18:30:19 PM »
they seem a lot happier today which is really encouraging, they still aren't very interested in me, but i am stroking them and picking them up occasionally just so they have that human contact soon they will be ready to come over to me. they love their toys and floss is obsessed with tepe's tail, they wrestle all the time which is quite funny to watch.

they keep standing in there mess in the litter tray when they try to cover it back over  :sick:

i am just so grateful for all the advice, thank you Sue

Rhiannon x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2008, 18:19:54 PM »
Hi Rhiannon   :hi:

How are your little bundles of mischief today? 

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2008, 22:26:03 PM »
oh thank you Ruth thats really lovely. i keep crying all the time cause they look confused when i move them room to room, also i miss Mike (hubby) loads and he isn't coming home this weekend  :( i even slept in his dressing gown last night, also i watched hollyoaks tonight (sad i know) it was a funeral and i balled my eyes out, im hopeless.

i do feel a lot better now that i think i have eliminated the cheeky blighters, fingers and toes crossed they are gone.

you all left some lovely and extremely helpful tips, you have certainly made this transition period a lot smoother  :thanks:

Rhiannon (TF) xxx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2008, 20:23:05 PM »
Rhiannon, you have done wonderfully. It will become less daunting each day, I promise. These little beings worm their way into our hearts to effectively.

Your support network is here, that's what we do best  ;)

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 20:06:46 PM »
i did it and they didn't struggle or anything, i am so proud of them! :Luv:

...although i did see one little friend fly off before i could even drop the comb to get it, little bugga, so i put the babies in there clean basket etc and put them in the clean spare room with food and litter tray have now sprayed whole of kitchen again (i did it in there on a white towelcause tepe started to really panic on the slippy bath i thought i would do it in the kitchen on a towel and floss watched intently)

so have resprayed the kitchen and will leave it for the hour thenwash the kitchen down again and put them back in, few another manic evening.

they are wrestling each other in the spare room when i left them.

Rhiannon

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 19:00:05 PM »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 18:55:35 PM »
The little blighters (fleas lol!) should be a lot slower now.....Make sure you pop any live ones between your nails before getting rid!  :sick:

Good Luck....I replied to your "Flea thread" in Health & Behaviour sect also!  ;)

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 17:14:12 PM »
i definately do feel better today, they are everso timid though  :(

about to tackle the combing, anyone got any tips before i get going? thought i would do it in the kitchen where they have been living, or should i do it in the spare room where they were last night where there is carpet and easier to clean afterwards????

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 14:05:01 PM »
They are so beautiful you must love them to bits !!

:ahh:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 09:19:22 AM »
 :hug: You're ok. They will be fine.

As Sue says contact the vet to get some reassurance. THey're only ickle so they are going to be a little needy. Don't worry, as they will keep themselves entertained with each other, and they will most likely sleep.

The fleas will go, it just takes a little time.  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2008, 08:01:57 AM »
If you're at all worried TF, the vets won't mind you giving them a call to discuss any concerns you might have, and it might help to put your mind at rest.  I would think that the vet would've given them a kitten check when you were there with them last night, but there's no harm in having a chat with the practice if you're worried.  :hug:  I think sometimes maybe we just feel over-anxious with our babies, because we want the very best for them, but that can't be a bad thing, because it means we care. 

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2008, 07:55:13 AM »
am not feeling very cheerful this morning, they seem all unsteady on their feet and i have to leave them now to go to work, finish at lunch time today.

i just want them to be healthy.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2008, 07:17:30 AM »
How was last night?  Hope you're feeling a bit chirpier this morning and not worrying yourself quite so much.    :hug:

Yep, think if they're both little lads, Floss is a tad girlie.  I think Floyd's a good suggestion Helen.  Better than Fluoride, which does maintain the dental theme, but could be a mouthful (sorry - no pun intended)  :shy:

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2008, 23:48:47 PM »
yep sprayed spare room, don't have any mosq spray but once i have clean pj's on i prob will be fine.  i just sprayed spare room again and shut door on it.

thank you for your advice, i will let you know howwe get on tomoz

TF xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2008, 23:30:10 PM »
You can't 'catch them' as such as you don't have any fur for them to live in but they can bite you  :shy:  From what I gather the kittens have been kept in one room with no carpets and seeing as you've only had them such a short while the rest of your house should be flea and flea egg free, now you've sprayed the kitchen and washed bedding etc you should get on top of the problem fairly quickly. 

If I were you I'd spray the spare room you quarantined them in while doing the kitchen and if you're worried about getting bitten you can spray mosquito spray on yourself tonight to put them off, I really don't think you'll have a problem though as I like i said you've not had them long and have done everything you can to wipe them out.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2008, 23:24:30 PM »
suppose floss is a little too girly.....

i have gone all itchy since i found out about the fleas, stupid question can i catch them?

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2008, 23:13:42 PM »
I've never used frontline spray but I know a lot of the rescues use it on tehir kittens so it must be good.  Floss is a bit girly but if it suits her him then there's no reason you can't stick with it.  I like Floyd for a boy which is similar but obviously doesn't keep in with your dental theme  :evillaugh:

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2008, 23:03:02 PM »
they used frontline in a spray bottle then rubbed it in.

the cat i had as a child was a girl but when we sent her to get 'done' the vet rang my mum at work to say actually holly is a he not a she!   :-[
but we still called him Holly. 

i don't know what i am going to do about names now....is floss a boys name?????

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2008, 22:52:33 PM »
What did the vet use on them for fleas?  Some of the treatments require the fleas to bite them first before they die so you'll still see live ones for a while.

Ruth is right, I had a boy kitten Riley and a girl kitten Kali... for the first day  :evillaugh:  Discovered at the vets that I had two boys so Kali became Lucas aka Lukey  :)

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 22:42:14 PM »
the poor little kitties keep crying and up close you can see the fleas crawling on them, i don't know what to do, shouldn't they have died by now?

was on the phone to my hubby earlier and told him the hole story and then i got really upset cause i just don't think i am a very good mum and i miss him so much.

i would be totaly alone if i didn't have you guys, thank you xxx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 21:51:10 PM »
that's just first time mummy feelings. you're doing fine. Remember they're babies and will cry for anything.. they'll be fine  :hug:

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 21:38:33 PM »
i feel such a horrible person, i had to quarentine them in the spare room this evening whilst i de-fleaed the kitchen washed all their stuff washed the floor and cupboards inc skirting boards, brought them back down stairs and they keep meeowing and walking in circles...they look all confused and upset.

i don't think i am very good at this mummy stuff, i just want to cry for them.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2008, 19:05:22 PM »
oh dear.....

found out they are both boys oops!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: excellent! 

Mmm now doesn't this sound familiar? Where did we hear this before? My memory fails me. mmmmm.. AHAAAA!!!

Helen.. wasn't Lukey meant to be Kali? :naughty:

Love them both, just gorgeous!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2008, 19:02:58 PM »
oh dear.....

found out they are both boys oops!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: excellent! 

Link to CatChat