Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Fleas
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008, 18:46:44 PM »
i did it and all 3 of us survived  :cheer:

thank you for the tips.

i did come accross one little beast but flew off before i could drop the comb to kill it, so i cleared the kitchen and resprayed and put the clean babies in the clean spare room and leaving the kitchen for an hour then off to clean it down then put the babies and toys back in.

:thanks:

Dont worry it will die within 24 hours  ;D

Offline nikki-lou

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 22:08:08 PM »
How strange ... as soon as I get the comb out I jumped on by all 3 of my gang. Combing is a nightly ritual in our house and they all love it!!!!

Wow, I really wish I could have combin as a nightly ritual - I really dont know why she's grown to hate it. When I first got her from the cat shelter she loved it  :shocked:
Nikki (23) & furbaby Chloe (2)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 21:53:58 PM »
i am combing mine for the first time tonight...wish me luck!!!

xxx

I wouldnt make the comb too obvious to them, some of mine do a runner when they see the comb come out!!! Act as if you are just stroking them... ;) Good Luck x

How strange ... as soon as I get the comb out I jumped on by all 3 of my gang. Combing is a nightly ritual in our house and they all love it!!!!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 20:11:29 PM »
i did it and all 3 of us survived  :cheer:

thank you for the tips.

i did come accross one little beast but flew off before i could drop the comb to kill it, so i cleared the kitchen and resprayed and put the clean babies in the clean spare room and leaving the kitchen for an hour then off to clean it down then put the babies and toys back in.

:thanks:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 18:38:31 PM »

xxx

I wouldnt make the comb too obvious to them, some of mine do a runner when they see the comb come out!!! Act as if you are just stroking them... ;) Good Luck x

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 18:34:45 PM »

xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 20:00:20 PM »
Your boys are stupid helen  :rofl: :rofl:

You're not wrong  :evillaugh:

Offline nikki-lou

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 18:34:26 PM »
No need to fight...  Get a blob of Dairylea / Primula etc and poke the tablet in it, my two will hoover it off my fingers in seconds  :evillaugh:

I will try that one next time - maybe she'll fall for it. She's my friend again now - well I think she is...she was all cuddles when I was making myself a tuna sandwich for lunch. She didnt leave my side until I eaten it, ah...it wasnt ME she was interested in was it??  :-:  :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 18:09:14 PM »
Your boys are stupid helen  :rofl: :rofl: i tried the cheese trick and they had their own version - lick the cheese off and leave the tablet meanwhile the coating has dissolved making the direct tablet route more nasty  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 17:54:31 PM »
we have had the 'Drontal' fight too  :scared: I read that fleas can pass on worms, Chloe was due a worming tablet anyway - so I am doubly a 'meanie mummy' atm  :'(

No need to fight...  Get a blob of Dairylea / Primula etc and poke the tablet in it, my two will hoover it off my fingers in seconds  :evillaugh:

Offline nikki-lou

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 11:46:52 AM »
we have had the 'Drontal' fight too  :scared: I read that fleas can pass on worms, Chloe was due a worming tablet anyway - so I am doubly a 'meanie mummy' atm  :'(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 07:36:46 AM »
Can I please remind people that if a cat has fleas it most certainly will have tapeworm and again only reputable treatments available from the vets or on -ine pharmacies are suitable, Having said that on-line pharmacies also sell some preparations that vets would not recommend.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline nikki-lou

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 16:05:09 PM »

:evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Personally the pop of a flea between the nails doesnt get anymore satisfying especially if it nearly got away  :rofl:

:sick: lol I'm so squeamish thats impossible - I was usin the put it on a piece of paper and squash with edge of comb, but that was givin me goosebumps too. lol I just dont like the flippin things! Eugh. i'm borrowing a carpet cleaner at the weekend so gonna do the whole house, I say house but its a 2 bedroom apartment. I'll clean the carpets then give them a good spray 1 room at a time.  :innocent: I will beat the fleas!

Chloe is still scrathin a lil bit but not half as much as she has been! Yay!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 15:45:34 PM »
another tip is don't need hot water but just some with some washing up liquid. this breaks the surface tension of the water and any fleas you put in will sink to bottom and die!

:evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Personally the pop of a flea between the nails doesnt get anymore satisfying especially if it nearly got away  :rofl:

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »
another tip is don't need hot water but just some with some washing up liquid. this breaks the surface tension of the water and any fleas you put in will sink to bottom and die!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 18:56:34 PM »
Just following on from Milly's um's post ... Vet UK is a really good supplier of veterinary supplies ... if you use one of the links from within our links section (little blue box at the top of the page ) then the rescue affiliate to the llink will get a commision.

This is the link to the link section http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?action=links;cat=7

ccmacey

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 18:55:05 PM »
After putting Frontline on the cat they dont need brushing through, I never do with mine and it still sorts the problem.

Is she wearing a flea collar cos they could cause her to be scratching under her chin.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 18:35:08 PM »
Bob martin "vetcare" works (i use this term loosely!!) by preventing the eggs from hatching out and doesnt actually kill the adult fleas! Frontline will kill fleas on contact within 24 hours but if the environment is infected you get a continous new supply  :tired:

Im not sure how good RIP fleas but at the moment vet uk have acclaim and indorex on offer for under a tenner  :wow:
Indorex is my weapon of choice as it does dustmites aswell.

Offline nikki-lou

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 17:26:59 PM »
Well, I've just had her in the bath for about 45mins - didnt find any 'friends' at all - a bit of flea poo but not half as much as I have been gettin, only got a few specks from round her tail  :doh:

Chloe's gone off sulkin somewhere now! Gosh, I'm such a mean nasty mummy aren't I?  :naughty:

Offline nikki-lou

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 16:41:47 PM »
 :Crazy: eugh horrible things they are. Cant wait to have rid of them...for Chloe's sake and mine - they make my skin crawl, I feel so sorry for Chloe coz she seems so fed up!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 16:38:46 PM »
Fleas like to hang out in the nice warm places ... under the chin, round the back of the neck and behind the ears and at the base of the tail .... places it's difficult for the "host" to get at them.  If you concentrate on those areas in the begining until madam get's used to being groomed you will probably find a few "Friends"  :sick:

Offline nikki-lou

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 16:33:55 PM »
Thanks for the tips Sam,

I was a bit daft buyin Bob Martin I must admit, it said "Vetcare spot on" so I thought it would be good and as its the first time she's ever had fleas I freaked and bought the 1st thing I came to. I was totally wrong - felt like a real bad 'mum' when the vet nurse said "never buy off the shelf" :-[

I will take her to the bath to groom her and see how that goes, she does sit for a short while - and then the claws come out (usually into my skin)

Thank-you  :shy:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 16:22:39 PM »
NO NO NO .... please DO NOT use Bob Martins or any over the counter preparation for flea control.  The best stuff (in fact the only stuff that really works) is the stuff you get from the vet.

Now she has been treated with spot on this should kill any fleas on her but if you have them in your house you will need to give your house a spray as well you can get something like Staykill from your vet and this is very good.

TOP TIP - when you flea comb Chloe try sitting in the bath with her.  NO WATER IN THE BATH just you and her your flea comb (a metal toothed flea comb is the best) and a bowl or glass of hot water.

The reason for sitting in the bath is if you get any "hoppers" that escape they will NOT end up hiding in your carpet and you can see them alot easier in a bathtub ... you can also squash them against  the bath surface  ;)

After ever draw of the flea comb check to see if you have captured any fleas and if you have dunk the comb into the hot water and contain them .... the hotter the water the better ... but be careful that Chloe doesn't knock over the glass/bowl and end up scolding you both.

Good luck and fingers crossed you can sort out her new "friends" 

It's best to get her used to being groomed so you can check for "friends" regularly.  You can start of with a something like a vent brush and once she gets used to that introduce the flea comb.

Offline nikki-lou

• Kitten
Fleas
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 16:05:51 PM »
My gorgeous black moggie has fleas - well I think she has still got them

I saw 1 flea last week on a white patch of her fur, so I went to Tesco and bought Bob Martin flea spot on and groomed her lots. I only got 1 flea out of her coat and it was very much alive.
Anyway on Sat I was grooming her and got 3 more fleas, I called the vets and explained and she said get frontline from thembut leave it a week from application of Bob Martin. I treated her with Frontline Spot on on Monday. I groomed her yest and got 2/3 fleas. The problem is shes quite long haired and HATES being groomed so I'm struggling...one flea even jumped onto the carpet and I found it on my foot  :-: another jumped and I lost it. I have some R.I.P Flea spray from the vet too which I have used but the thing is...

...I THINK she still may have fleas coz shes still groomin herself (causing extra large hairballs) lots and scratchin under her chin. I've checked her skin and there's no rash - I dont seem to be able to see any fleas moving through her fur either or when I comb her I can't find any?

Does she still have them or can I relax?

Link to CatChat