Author Topic: URGENT 14 cats! (Manchester) Now upadated with pix  (Read 27109 times)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Re: URGENT 14 cats! (Manchester)
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 12:45:59 PM »
So does that mean you can help  :yes:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 12:45:05 PM »
its just I have a few days off next week and was planning a trip to Brighton to see some friends

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 12:02:10 PM »
when do they need to go to Brighton??

Angie mentioned them being dropped off Sunday but we can't do anything until a Wednesday at the moment  :tired:  She's in Nottingham visiting her son on Sunday and also helping out at a vegan thingie so she could have taken them back with her, but I think the earliest will be next week anyway.  I work weekends and I'm up to my eyes at the mo  :shocked:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »
I think once Dawn has them and they have been neutered or they could go straight from here - best check with Dawn as she is co-ordinating that bit of it.  Thanks

Offline tiga

• Senior Cat
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 09:36:20 AM »
I'm in Brighton and have 2 carriers if Angie needs to use them. I can drop them off.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 09:34:02 AM »
when do they need to go to Brighton??

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2008, 00:22:04 AM »
With these babes, seeing as the earliest we can get the boys in is next Wednesday, I'm going to try and book at least 4 of the females into my vets for next week.  I'll go over on Wednesday with my traps and the hospital cages and hopefully I'll be bringing back 5 which will include the pregnant one.  I will then have them spayed, keep them a few days and return them until we can sort out transport to wherever.  If need be, we'll do the same for the next lot, I can sort vouchers so not a problem and the quicker they are done, the better otherwise we will have a few pregnant queens on our hands  :tired:  Also, getting the females done, we will be ending this cycle and kittens won't end up in the wrong hands  ;)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 20:46:01 PM »
I am more than happy to help with fuel costs, would happily drive if I could

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 20:43:43 PM »
I don't mind doing some of the driving but would need help with fuel costs  :tired:  I've emailed Angie from Brighton to see if she can pick the 4 up that she can take, that would make it easier, I'll let you know when I hear back from her.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 20:45:16 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 20:40:13 PM »
That's brilliant Dawn.  We now just have to work out how to get the cats transported.  Although I drive I can't do long distance cos I have a hip and knee problem.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 20:23:38 PM »
I'll take the pregnant one if you want, I've got a spare pen here and at least Angie from Brighton can take 4 if they aren't.  Maybe I can get them spayed first and she won't have to worry about getting that done  :shy:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 20:21:12 PM »
The woman called round just a while ago.  SHe says that the cats can be stroked but not used to being picked up which at least means they are not completely wild.  We think one is definitely pregnant.  This is so good I am so grateful that people are so kind and helpful.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 19:19:07 PM »
Yep and Manchester to London or Josie can arrange for someone to meet part way.  I think the one thing we will be short of as well is carriers, so if anyone has any spare, they would be much appreciated.  With the cats being wildy, they will be better in the carriers and not having to be transfered  :tired:  I should be able to sort some out but not many, I'll ask Sue at the cattery if she has any spare  :shy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 19:06:53 PM »
Would that be Manchester to Brighton?  :-: I know there is some lovely peeps on here that Im sure if they are not otherwise engaged something will be sorted!  :wish:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 19:07:43 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2008, 19:03:47 PM »
Transport is the big issue now  :tired:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2008, 19:02:23 PM »
Wow....This is all coming along very nicely....Well Done girls!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2008, 19:01:06 PM »
I've got traps and may be able to acquire a couple more, I'll see what I can do  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2008, 19:00:28 PM »
I've had an email off someone who has offered to take 4  :Crazy:  If pregnant females though, she prefers 2 and she's in Brighton  ;)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: URGENT 14 cats!
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2008, 17:56:36 PM »
That would be great Dawn, I'll put the kettle on.  Wednesday is the day the woman is usually around (though she hasn't been today!).  Do you have any traps you could bring?  There is no problem returning them she says she will keep them as long as necessary

I will put a thread on rescue and rehoming and ask people to look here
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 17:57:13 PM by Maddiesmum »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2008, 17:42:57 PM »
I will try and get over next week and give you a hand if you want, I can get the females spayed but sadly will have to return them until we get places sorted.  If anyone is prepared to do a run to London and get them to Josie, any help would be appreciated  :hug:  :hug:

It may be worth moving this to the Rescue/Rehoming section in case anyone in Rescue can help  :shy:
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 17:46:22 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2008, 17:29:58 PM »
Sue said she'll take one of the toms so I'll pm you her phone number so you can give her a ring  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 17:12:36 PM »
This is wonderful.  Unfortunately there are no kittens as everytime they are born one of the other cats kills them immediately.  It would be great if we could get them anywhere the problem is we have to trap them and then it would have to be done very quickly.  If anyone near Manchester can help that would be great.  CP woman this morning said it is doubtful they could rehome the females as they are not handleable (spelling??).  The toms are now booked in for next Wednesday and I have pushed a note through the door as the lady who owns them isn't in.  The vet is sending her pre op instructions through the post.  Still don't know if the mother has turned up.  She hasn't been seen for a few days by the neighbour whose garden she hides in.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 16:54:15 PM »
Maybe we are in the wrong area  ;)

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 16:53:37 PM »
THEY HAVE NO KITTENS ....................UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 16:03:24 PM »
Mandy off Cat Chat has emailed me and she's going to put a plea on there as well  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 15:59:37 PM »
I know this may not help in this situation but I've had another email off Josie.  Any kittens that need places, she can find places for them  :)

I am in north london N4.

I can filter them out from here.  I can rehome as many kittens as you like in surrey if that helps?

http://www.animal-lifeline.co.uk/   will take the kittens,  they spay and neuter home check and will have contracts signed saying the kittens come back at 6 months for neutering.

They have a waiting list of homes for kittens :).

They recently took 9 from a group in essex.

we can network the transport between us!

xxxxxxxxxx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 14:11:35 PM »
I've just had an email off Josie who does rescue, she has fosterers and pens if someone can do some travelling  :shy:  I think she's in London though, can't remember off hand  :tired:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 09:48:58 AM »
Well done on approaching her and getting her the help she needs  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 09:26:56 AM »
well done to you for trying to get this sorted, thank god she has accepted your help, it sounds like her life if a bit of a mess but at least this can be sorted

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
We have moved a stage further!  Have had a long chat with local CP woman this morning and she says they will sort out payment for neutering.  The vet concerned is my old one who I have known for about 20 years so will ring him later to sort out getting the toms done.  I know we should be aiming for the females but realistically the toms are used to being handled and we have to make a start sooner rather than later.  The woman is going to try and arrange to loan us a trap and hopefully we can pick off the females for neutering.  Any help still welcome and I know Dawn is working away in the background so things could change if other people come forward.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 08:24:46 AM »
Fingers crossed Chrissie, I am glad you have been to see her, and I do hope that some places can be found for these.
BC - males can still produce sperm for up to 6 weeks after, which is why females are priority.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »
In these situations (thankfully not many) we have always dealt with females first, on the premise that there is s deadline if pregnant as to which vets will spay and every dya makes a difference. Toms may still be trying to make the queens preg but you have some time topaly with, those that are already you dont. !

What a horrid situation... Let us know how you get on with neutering etc.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 06:01:44 AM »
Thanks Dawn.  It's all terribly sad really, the woman is in a mess both emotionally and re the cats.  However she is big enough to sort herself out if she wants to but these little sweethearts really need our help.  The ones she is looking to rehome are a beautiful sleek black unneutered tom aged about 2 she thinks, a black and white female and the rest as far as I can work out are all tabby and white pretty little girls.  If anyone is able to offer them a home or knows anyone who can please contact me.  I think one of the little girls may be pregnant as her tummy looks a little fat but I am no expert.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 22:56:09 PM »
I've just sent a plea out and hopefully it will pay off  :wish:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 22:46:31 PM »
What an awful situation...I bet you are so shocked there being so many.....Good Luck with getting these babes sorted!  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 22:42:57 PM »
I've just had a chat with Chrissie now and I'm going to try and persuade my friend Sue to take one of the toms, get him neutered etc and have him rehomed.  At least with one of the toms out of the way, this will hopefully settle things down a little bit.  I'll be ringing Sue tomorrow to see if she can help and then we'll sort out getting the others spayed/neutered.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 21:43:59 PM »
I would disagree BC, although the toms will be causing bedlam, the females will need to be sorted first.  I try and prioritise with colonies, the more females out of the way the better, when they are in season, this adds to the disharmony amongst the male cats which in turn creates more injuries and fighting.

Modified to add
It sounds like there are 8 unspayed females so if left, all will end up pregnant and potentially you could have 40 kittens to deal with  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 22:47:49 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 21:38:03 PM »
I hate to contradict someone as experienced as Sharon, but i would be targetting the Toms as a priority. They can sire multiple litters of kittens in the time one female can produce one litter. So they should be neutered first. They will also be creating havoc in the household trying to make sure they are the fathers of any kittens and if in doubt will kill kittens who may not be their's so as to make the females become available for mating sooner than if they had a litter suckling.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 21:34:21 PM »
Whereabouts in Manchester are you?  I can't promise but I may be able to get my friend who runs a cattery to take a couple in and get them neutered them etc.  Send me the details and a contact number and leave it with me  :hug:  Jackie from the Stockport CP will probably help with vouchers for them  :shy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 21:26:50 PM »
Hope you can get this lady some help MM, as Sharon said I think the first step is approaching CP to see if they can issue neutering vouchers to her to  at least stop the situation from getting any worse.

Link to CatChat