Author Topic: Meet Mabel - she's here!!  (Read 22344 times)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Re: Meet Mabel - she's here!!
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »
Glad the poos have slowed down, hopefully she is now retaining some of her nutrition and the poos will gradully get more solid.  Keep it up Mabel

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2008, 08:08:45 AM »
Thanks, this week will be the big test. She has only had one poo overnight, but still not solid, and I am having real issues keeping her out of hte other cats food, as none of them eat all their food in one go!! I am debating taking her to the rescue with me on Sun, so they can all see her again, but not sure if that is a really daft thought.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2008, 22:33:19 PM »
Only just caught up with this Des, sorry to hear that Mabel may have lymphoma, hope the steroids will help her have some more quality time with you  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2008, 21:45:31 PM »
Vet has agreed to continue steroids - she has only given me a weeks worth to see how we go though, so not sure just how positive she is about it. I dont think we will get months with her, but her seeing a full month here would be nice. I have to go to the rescue she is from on Sun and tell them - they all loved her to bits, and she had 15 months there, but at least she has a home life for the end of her life, it is why I do it. The hardest thing to deal with is her hunger, she is constantly trying to find food, I have stopped her eating the others food 3 times, and debating whether to give her some dry food. I hope there is some improvement by the end of this week's worth of steroids, as that is the big test, whether to continue, on one hand, she is eating well, and enjoying some fresh air, but on the other, she is constantly hungry and not keeping all of it in her. This is a really hard call, as I have only known her for 3 weeks, and she hasn't been 100% since arriving, although her snuffles have pretty much gone. She looks so much better than she did, and if it wasn't for the belly, you wouldnt think there was much wrong with her.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 21:46:50 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2008, 17:07:28 PM »
Good poop vibes comming your way ~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you continue to improve Mabel

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2008, 11:05:45 AM »
Good news. Come on Mabel, you can do it!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:05:55 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2008, 10:41:24 AM »
Let us know.  Fingers firmly crossed.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
Good news, fingers crossed.  Come on Mabel

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »
Well, only two poos overnight, not solid, but some shape to them, much better than before she went to the vet. Will ring them at lunchtime and see what she has to say, personally I dont think it is her time.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2008, 22:08:27 PM »
Well, so far today she has eaten a decent amount and not gone to the loo yet - the main problem is she is constantly hungry, yet I have to watch what she eats in case it makes her worse, and I have to keep stopping her eating the other cats food. Will have to see if she is solid overnight and then what the vet thinks, it would be nice if she could at least have a month here. She has had some fun with catnip toys, and also some fresh air.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2008, 12:03:43 PM »
True - and we dont know how long she has had issues for, with being in a multi-cat situation. I think RC Sensitivity will be very similar to D/D - my vet seems to use RC food rather than Hills, apart from a/d. She is really pestering for food again this morning, it is really hard to watch. I am supposed to be going to the rescue next Sun to tell them how well she is doing in her new home and show them pics of her playing etc - there is now going to be some sad news as well, even if there is an improvement. I dont think she has months left though, as even if the steroids help, there is the problem of her bad teeth.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2008, 11:58:28 AM »
Lymphoma can react so differently, Taffy went downhill very quickly, with the steroids only helping for 48 hours but then my friend had an amazing response, she now has another cat lasting a similar amount of time, hopefully he will continue strong.
Neither of us were told about d/d diet tho  :-:

Fingers crossed for a good improvement over the next 24hrs  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2008, 10:38:04 AM »
Thanks - there has been no improvement yet, her stools are slightly better than they were, but she has had 6 poos since we got back from the vets, 4 of them overnight, so I dont see how she could have got any nutrients from what she has had (which did include two tablespoons of live yoghurt), so we really need an improvement today, or i dont think the vet will be very positive tomorrow.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2008, 22:13:51 PM »
Sorry to hear this Desley  :hug:  Hope Mabel has many happy months ahead, when her time does come at least she is in a home environment with someone that loves her and not still in rescue  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2008, 21:57:10 PM »
Thanks - Chrissie, she is on RC Sensitivity, which she hasn't been all week, although she has been fine on Whiskas before.
Susanne - it isn't something I deliberately do, but I do sometimes feel jinxed, although if the steroids dont work and i have to let her go this week, it will be a record for me, as it is a month on Mon since I lost Rosie. This is the second cat I have adopted with sniffles that I knew wouldn't have years that has been found to have cancer and only had weeks (Blackie was a week short of 2 months), so maybe I shouldnt take anymore oldies with snuffles on.
I do hope so MM, it is odd that your's and PAv's experiences are different, so lets hope she responds, although there has been no improvement so far, she is just as loose, and already been twice since getting home. Have stopped isolating her, we know she can't pass it on, and there are 4 trays she has access to, so she might as well have the comfort of other places (her favourite is the stairs) for what time she has left.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2008, 20:59:17 PM »
Sorry to hear the results, lymphoma can respond amazingly well to steroids, my friends cat had 6 months before it came back so fingers crossed that they work for her  :hug: :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2008, 18:33:25 PM »
Poor Mabel.  You do have a knack for picking the ones with issues, don't you?!  I really hope you can clear up the diarrhoea and that she has more time left than you think.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2008, 17:56:20 PM »
Oh I am really sorry Des, wouldn't it be worth trying the venison if other things are not helping?  Hope Mabel has some time to enjoy her new home.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2008, 17:50:36 PM »
Thanks - my vet has suggested just giving her whatever she wants to eat, like the majority of my cats, she isnt very co-operative, vet couldnt even feel her tummy today, and there is no way i would put her through chemo. Thanks for the advice Pav, I think we really need to see how the steroids work, I got the impression that if I ring the vet on Mon and there is no improvement, then that is it, as she is effectively starving at the moment, that is why she is constantly hungry, but isn't doing too well at keeping anything in her.
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2008, 15:34:11 PM »
Oh Desley, i am so sorry. :hug: :hug:

This is what Boy has and if you remember i was refered to RVC by Caroline to do more tests on him before prescribing any med for him, after all the test i was told that the steroids will work only if they are taken with chemo tablets at the same time. I dont know if you want to go through with it with Mable, also food wise they recomended the DD Hills venison tinned diet strictly and nothing else :( If you want i still have one more tin left i can send it to you first thing Monday morning to try and see if she likes it i can also send their full report they gave me on Lymphoma in intestines if you think it may help if you read it, they were really good in there but tbh i think if i could go back to 9 months ago i wouldnt have started the chemo , its some thing that i never agreed with to put an animal through, but i guess at that time with everything that was happening with my first vet and wrong diagnose and the pressure i wasnt thinking straight, i agreed to start some thing that now after 9 months has put a lot of pressure financially on me cos not only i spent £Thousands on tests in different places but still i have to take him every month for blood test which he hates and medication which are very expensive and him that just putting the weight on cos of steroids, i thought since i am going through this with Boy, it may help you to know and then decide how far you want to go with treatment.

But i really think if you start Mabel on DD Venison it may help to settle her tummy , it did help Boy a lot when i started him on this but then he stoped eating it and i was told many times by Caroline with lymphoma its very important what they eat.Please let me know if you want me to send you the sample.Thinking of you and Mabel. :hug: :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2008, 14:42:07 PM »
Oh, Desley  :hug:

I do hope the medication gives the little lass some quality life for a while.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2008, 13:49:43 PM »
Sadly not good results, they had to chase the labs, but even before they did, the vet was saying she looked worse, and that she didn't think I would have her for very long. Her results are indicative of lymphoma, and in her intestines, which is one of the worst places. Vet has given her a strong steroid, but if her poos dont improve, I have no option than to let her go, as she is constantly hungry but can't keep food in her long enough to get nutrients, and however bright and playful she is, that is no life for her. Please keep your fingers crossed that they do something good before Mon, when I have to update the vet
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2008, 13:32:30 PM »
Any news?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2008, 09:39:01 AM »
Thanks, I will also ask about probiotics, I did put some SEB in her food last night, but not sure it had any effect!! Will get some sensitivity food in too, as I know she likes that. i will also have to think of some of the things we tried with Tiger last year when she had tummy issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2008, 09:34:43 AM »
Fingers Crossed For Mabel

~~~~~Sending positive Vibes~~~~~
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2008, 09:16:06 AM »
Her bloods aren't back yet, but due to her diarrhea being worse since being seen on Thurs, vet wants me to take her along with Moses. Our app is at 10.20, so fingers crossed.
Please spay your cat

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2008, 09:03:09 AM »
Poor Mabel I hope shes ok and the vet can help
 :hug:
love
Tab

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2008, 08:41:04 AM »
Thanks guys, she still has diarrhea, although I dont think she is as dehydrated. Ended up ringing the emergency vet last night as she was desperate for food, but I wasn't sure how much or what to give her, so she is currently on sardines (no sensitivity food in, and she only picks at fresh chicken, although no wonder with her teeth), and I am waiting for my vet to open in 20 mins to see if the results are back - at least I am already going there with one of the others today, so she can be seen if the vet feels it necessary.
Please spay your cat

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2008, 13:22:56 PM »
 :hug:

Sending you hugs Desley.

It's a long shot but when Jet had tummy troubles due to Antibiotics we gave her probiotics which did perk her up and settled her tum.
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2008, 12:52:59 PM »
Poor Mabel, I hope you can get her sorted out Des. At least she is in the best place now with you to look after her. Gentle head rubs for Mabel and  :hug: for you.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 11:22:25 AM »
Oh Desley.  Let us know how you get on at the vet.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2008, 07:52:02 AM »
Thanks everyone, she did have a bad night last night, I am sure everything she ate came back out, and not in a good way - never known a cat have 4 poos in one day. So, she had to be in isolation with purely water last night, and will have to restrict her food. Left her munching her food with Antirobe in it.
Liz, the problem with the injectable ab is tht it isn't licenced for everything, which is why it wasn't used on Rosie, she needed something different. It might cover dental issues, but we are seeing how she does on Antirobe first as it is brilliant for mouth issues, and the vet is hoping to have the results in the morning, so we can see what is actually going on -  I am at the vets with Moses tomorrow, so if needed, I can take Mabel along with me, or swap them around.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2008, 06:30:54 AM »
Poor Mabel and poor you.  I hope the vet can sort things out for her so she can have some lovely time with you.  When Dragan had pancreatitis his poo was never grey, it was a light fawn colour. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2008, 05:12:07 AM »
How awful for you both!  :hug: Hoping that the test results are good!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2008, 21:15:59 PM »
Des, you sure know how to get older ladies with issues.

Hope that they are controlable and she does have some time to spend with you

I would still ask for injectable antibiotics - once a day is easier than a tablet believe me - having had Gracie on them for the last 4 months and she led with food, still at least with antirobe you can split the capsules and hide it in wet food - mix well thought these wise older types know!!!!!!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2008, 21:13:02 PM »
Aww, bless.  I hope the blood tests dont show anything too bad and that she has lots of time left.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2008, 20:49:44 PM »
Thanks - she is going to be a nightmare to do anything with though, and stress makes her eyes and nose flare up, and then she cant' eat unless she is debunged, and she hates that. I am just hoping that her eagerness with food means we can hide things, or there is very little chance of medicating her even if it is something treatable. She has had grey poo this week, so also suspected pancreas issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2008, 20:47:13 PM »
Desley, you know how to pick 'em. ;) Sending huge fuss for Mabel.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 20:47:26 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2008, 20:37:18 PM »
Hope her bloods show something treatable :wish:

Also hoping the antirobe dont get to her tummy too much  :sick:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2008, 20:29:41 PM »
Thanks - not the best vet visit. Vets initial comment was 'she is elderly, dehydrated and arthritic' - then she actually examined her!! Her thin back legs are muscle wastage, her breath is incredibly bad teeth, how this cat is eating as much as she is is beyond me, she has loads of pus. Tummy is tense due to the diarrhea, which has also caused dehydration (yet in isolation today, she was perfectly solid and got the tray!!), and vet has done full bloods before we decide anything for teeth and arthritis - she is suspecting multiple health issues and doesn't even want me to buy arthritis supplements till we know what is going on, so not the most positive thing - and she is in better condition than she was 3 weeks ago, her nose and eyes have been clear for the past 24 hours, her face has never been so clean. She has had 2 jabs, and we have antirobe tabs until we know what the bloods say, the vets initial thoughts are about not being strong enough to cope with an anaesthetic. She has wolfed nearly a pouch and a half since getting home, and i have had to move all the other food cos she still wants to eat anything in sight. So, looks like I picked a good one here, but the most important thing is that she is in a home environment with more one on one for whatever time she has left. Ironic that she was supposed to help me get over Rosie and has more health issues, and certainly more confusing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 20:34:41 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat