Author Topic: Meet Mabel - she's here!!  (Read 22343 times)

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
Re: Meet Mabel - she's here!!
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2008, 11:03:27 AM »
Just caught up with this - Im so so sorry that Mabel is so poorly. Im praying that you have some more time with her but I know that you will do what is best for her. :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #137 on: August 07, 2008, 10:02:16 AM »
only just read this Des  :(
sending warm loving positive vibes to you & the delightful Mabel :hug: :hug:

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #136 on: August 07, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Thanks Pav, she did have a VitB jab while we were waiting for the results, it either didn't make any difference or it was the ab's, cos she got worse after that. She has been more grumpy this week, she wont let me pick her up anymore, and her belly is more distended. She is also being picky with her eating, and 3 poos in 12 hours isn't good on her system, so it just depends on what the vet thinks when she sees her. She has also stopped wandering round looking for food, she only comes in my bedroom for water now, and only went in the kitchen the other night for the litter tray.
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #135 on: August 07, 2008, 00:52:31 AM »
Rescue were sad about her cancer, but amazed that her nose and eyes are totally fine. She has been twice since i got up, still not solid, so I am getting concerned now that the steroids aren't working. So hard to know what to do though, as she is eating well, and interacting with me, but I know her pooing so much and it being so loose isn't good for her.
Hi Desley,
 Just catching up with Mabel updates, you mentioned that she is eating well and interacting with you, i just want to say that as you know Boy some times has really bad days and or even weeks with his sloppy poos and his eating but from my experiance with Jim and Boy having Lymphoma in intestines i really dont think Mabel is suffering at the moment if she is eating well, i know you are concerned that she poo's so much but that is to do with what she eats and her condition. iIdo agree with Christine that some times you can delay the inevitable with right treatment and i have to say Boy is having Chemo but then the first two months which he was being sick every day and having diarrhoea and loosing a lot of weight till the diagnoses was made i knew he was happy , same as Mabel he was still eating and purring and responding .
I know Mabel hasnt been with you for long and you dont know much about her but from my experiance i think if she is still eating well and interacting with you then you should ask your vet to give her more steroids and may be B12 injection helps her and give yourself and her some more time together.

I am sure you do whats best .x

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2008, 21:39:54 PM »
 :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2008, 21:11:15 PM »
It can, but she has got worse since we increase the steroids, and that was the only option left. My vet knows my views on chemo in cats due to previous cats, so that hasn't been mentioned. I am also suspecting her teeth are playing a part in this, and we can't do anything for those other than ab's.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2008, 21:08:17 PM »
Thanks guys, I would desperately love for the vet to give something that will buy her some time, but I know it is only delaying the inevitable, and I dont think it is fair on her to see if we can get over this blip only for her to go downhill in the future.

I would only say that sometimes, the inevitable can be successfully delayed for quite some time.  But I know you and your vet will discuss this at length  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2008, 20:42:01 PM »
Thanks guys, I would desperately love for the vet to give something that will buy her some time, but I know it is only delaying the inevitable, and I dont think it is fair on her to see if we can get over this blip only for her to go downhill in the future.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2008, 20:36:39 PM »
 :hug:, Desley.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2008, 20:35:09 PM »
 :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2008, 20:28:20 PM »
Well, the vet couldnt speak to me today, so I have an appointment for tomorrow, but I dont think I will be bringing her home - ironically, the radio is playing an apt song as I am typing this. Part of me wants to be selfish and ask for something else to buy her a few days, but I know even if the vet agrees and it just buys her the weekend, it isn't going to be any easier to face, and I will be doing it for me, not for her, and that isn't right - sometimes not having them for long is just as hard to bear, as you want that extra few days/weeks with them. It is so unfair that she has finally got a home after all that time in a rescue, and her eyes and nose have finally cleared up, so she is like a normal cat, and it is all going to be taken away from her due to cancer.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »
Any news on Mabel?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2008, 08:56:49 AM »
no there's nothing like an evening on the sofa! 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2008, 08:54:36 AM »
Thanks - she wasn't in a pen at the rescue, as she was classed as a resident cat, but it still wans't the same as a home environment.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2008, 08:29:11 AM »
Des I'm sorry for you and Mabel but only you and your vet know when the time is right, at least she isn't in  a pen any more poor girl

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2008, 08:25:24 AM »
She has got worse since I spoke to the vet on Mon, so I need to speak to her again today and see if she recommends taking things further, or letting her go. i think her teeth might have got worse, after sitting watching her eat last night. I am preparing myself for her saying I have to let her go though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2008, 13:18:16 PM »
Fingers crossed the increase in meds buys Mabel some quality time

Amen to that.  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2008, 08:37:38 AM »
Fingers crossed the increase in meds buys Mabel some quality time

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2008, 08:25:13 AM »
When I spoke to the vet yesterday, the only option left was to increase the preds, and if it doens't help, I have no option than to let her go - her food is obviously going through her quite quickly and not always fully digested, so we have 2 weeks of a higher dose, and I am going to use these two weeks to see how she goes, and if no better, I am going to let her go, as we can't cure her, it is only buying her time, but it has to be quality time, and I am not 100% sure about that, with watching her be so ravenous and then dealing with sloppy poo.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2008, 08:40:54 AM »
Poor Mabel, see what the vet has to say today Des and take it from there.  Hope she is ok

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:27 AM »
She was picky about cooked chicken, hence being on RC Sensitivity - she also has bad teeth, that we cant do anythign about, other than ab's. have tried natural yoghurt and SEB, she is fussy with both. She still isn't solid overnight, but more hungry, so not sure how good the news from the vet is going to be. One of them was sick too, I would sway towards her than Moses cos it looked more like the dry that Moses refuses to eat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #117 on: August 03, 2008, 22:47:55 PM »
Des, I presume you've tried just cooked chicken diet for a few days, just to see if that settles her poos down a bit? and what about trying the Lacto B probiotic, or Slippery Elm, if you havent already tried.  Might be worth a go.  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2008, 20:03:02 PM »
Rescue were sad about her cancer, but amazed that her nose and eyes are totally fine. She has been twice since i got up, still not solid, so I am getting concerned now that the steroids aren't working. So hard to know what to do though, as she is eating well, and interacting with me, but I know her pooing so much and it being so loose isn't good for her.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2008, 11:23:28 AM »
Thanks. WE are having issues with her ears as well - when she had her bloods done, they were bothering her, so the vet checked them, and there was just a small amount of wax, now they are warm and she is shaking her head more, but htey are clean.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 11:26:55 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2008, 11:20:55 AM »
Fingers crossed for Mabel & you  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2008, 11:17:25 AM »
Poor Mabel.  Fingers crossed it is the food that's upsetting her stomach at the moment.  Good luck at the rescue today telling people about her  :hug:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
I hoe it was Moses's food that was the problem today. Good luck at the rescue telling everyone
love
Tab

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2008, 10:53:11 AM »
 :hug: :hug:

Hope it is the food.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2008, 10:45:02 AM »
Thanks, her poos overnight have been terrible, I can only hope that it is cos she ate Moses food in gravy (someone did, there were 3 that could have eaten it), cos otherwise it means the steroids arent working.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2008, 06:13:17 AM »
 :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2008, 23:09:59 PM »
it certainly does. Another bad day with her, she is still being really picky with her wet food, and I tried her on the new PAH dry earlier, it went straight through her, but there was blood in the poo, so I am very worried now, and it is finally hitting home how serious this is. After a converstaion with a friend, i am not sure how much effect the steroids are having, as it seems to depend on what she eats, and there isn't much consistency. We have one more steroid tab left, so it all depends on how she goes between now and Mon morning really (when I would have to ring and ask for some more). Tomorrow is going to be a hard day, as I have to go and break the news to the rescue, so I suspect there will be some tears then, i have managed to tell people without being too upset so far, but that seems to have changed tonight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2008, 09:37:48 AM »
Life sucks sometimes but hopefully Mabel can enjoy what time she has.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2008, 08:02:29 AM »
Only picking at her sensitivity food (typical after i just spend £8 on a new box!!), so have mixed some Whiskas in it to give her some variety. She isn't fully solid though, although better than yesterday, i wonder if it is something to do with the dry food she ate in place of the wet. I just hope the Whiskas doesn't make her worse again. Just seems so unfair at hte moment, her chronic snuffles have completely gone, and no one thought they would, and her fur looks so much better, she spent 15 months in a rescue, and isn't going to get that long in a home environment. At least she will get some time though, and she has carpets to sleep on, rather than just a bed in front of a fire.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2008, 07:56:58 AM »
How's Mabel this morning Des?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2008, 20:32:47 PM »
Still not so good today, just doing some research and found this, doesn't make me feel too great

Cats with intestinal lymphoma treated with prednisone alone have a life expectancy of 45-60 days. Other protocols using multiple drugs yield much better results (see below for details)

Here is the actual site for others, but it doesn't seem like a good chance whatever the treatment is, I am not going to put her through a biopsy to confirm it.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_lymphoma.html
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2008, 08:49:49 AM »
fingers crossed.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #102 on: July 31, 2008, 08:06:23 AM »
Not a good day yesterday, came home to sloppy poo, and she wasn't as interested in her food, so only got half a pouch in her, and got up to more sloppy poo - hopefully it was just cos she pinched Moses food. There was also some sick, and I am thinking it is more likely to be her than Moses, as it was biscuits, and Moses didn't have any of those last night. She is better today, so fingers crossed it was just a one off day, but we will have to see how she goes on.
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2008, 09:10:15 AM »
Well done Miss Mabel, keep it up girl

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2008, 08:13:23 AM »
She was fairly firm yesterday (first day poo since Sat), so I mixed a bit of HiLife senior in with her food and she went sloppy again, so had to put her back on Sensitivity and she can manage dry. Hopefully she will be solid again today.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2008, 19:13:00 PM »
Sending firm poo vibes!

Link to CatChat