Author Topic: Fav catfoods  (Read 15371 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Fav catfoods
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2007, 22:09:26 PM »
I went to the butchers today, and he asked how many i wanted, so I said 1, and he asked if I knew how big they were, and asked who they were for (and yes, I was truthful!!), and they were tiny, so I got 3, one for each of them (and he chopped them into two for me). Tiger and Zia looked a bit confused, but Molly immediately started licking it, even if she couldnt quite figure things out. I tried to chop it smaller, but struggled so got my sis to pull the meat off, and Molly enjoyed hers - Rolo ended up pinching Tiger's though, she wasnt interested. Might get them some heart next week.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2007, 22:30:44 PM »
Yep but if theres any large bits of fat where its come off the body i chop them off, not all mine can digest it so end up with little bits of puked white stuff  :sick:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2007, 21:29:29 PM »
Those who feed chicken wings - do you leave the skin on?

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2007, 21:22:02 PM »
 :rofl: Nobody told Riley that! He took to it as if he'd killed it himself! :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2007, 20:49:59 PM »
Lol, what we should have also said is to introduce raw foods as small meaty cubes at first and then work your way up to wings and necks. Your cats jaw muscles need to get used to working for a living once again!

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2007, 12:52:50 PM »
Tried mine on some chicken wings this morning Sabre wasn't bothered about then Sky and Simba had a little nibble.
Caroline xx

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2007, 09:05:40 AM »
Mine are mostly on any proprietry cat food - Whiskas,, Felix, Kit-e-Kat etc, although they don't like PAH or other uber cheap brands.  I get different brands as they enjoy the variety, whether tinned wet or dry.

All this is supplemented by chicken, liver, heart (ooh, they LOVE that!), the odd bit of tuna or salmon, and sometimes leavings from my plate (once I've finished!) if appropriate.  Little bits of cheese now and again go down well for Shanti in particular.

And sometimes I give them pouches, which they go crazy for!!  Always great as a distraction!  No doubt that will be on the menu when they come back from their annual check up on Monday!  I'm not keen on using pouches regularly though, as they are not recyclable.

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2007, 23:39:39 PM »
Ok lets see

Dry food - Purina, Hills, JWB (all eat kitten varieties)

Wet food - Whiskas, Felix, Hills AD LOL - not huge wet food eaters being honest but will eat some (3 pouches each per day is usual LOL)

Other (their fave category) - White skinless and boneless fish by the kilo, prawns, chicken wings, roast chicken breast, lambs mince .......... get the picture

All love water too!

oooh and have a passion for dairy products if they can manage to nick any - butter being a particular favourite!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 23:40:36 PM by Linda (Bengalbabe) »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 23:23:00 PM »
Riley and Skye had their first chicken wings today, and LOVED them! Skye only had a little of hers (she is only a baby), but Riley's was demolished very quickly, after which he decided to throw around and play with the still-articulated bones  :sick: :rofl:

LOL! food AND entertainment!

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2007, 19:16:19 PM »
Riley and Skye had their first chicken wings today, and LOVED them! Skye only had a little of hers (she is only a baby), but Riley's was demolished very quickly, after which he decided to throw around and play with the still-articulated bones  :sick: :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2007, 20:06:10 PM »
They are normally gone within an hour.
An hour! Simon is 10 minutes  :rofl: and he doesnt have all his teeth  :Luv2:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2007, 16:58:42 PM »
My Benglies love chicken wings but I freeze them and defrost before giving them to them - just something the breeder advised. They are normally gone within an hour.  My other cats looked at me as if I was totally mad when I offered the wings to them  :rofl:

I think your breeder's thinking is that the freezing will kill off any germs - but in reality most domestic freezers don't get cold enough to do that anyway. Do you think the wings are keeping their teeth nice and clean?

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2007, 16:39:05 PM »
My Benglies love chicken wings but I freeze them and defrost before giving them to them - just something the breeder advised. They are normally gone within an hour.  My other cats looked at me as if I was totally mad when I offered the wings to them  :rofl:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 15:28:47 PM »
I will deffo get some next time I go shopping, feed ours on Natures menu and hilife at the moment.
Caroline xx

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »
i must try and find chicken wings this weekend!! I do have 2 proper butchers within a 10 min walk from my house, will one of those sell them?

All the supermarkets do packs of chicken wings Des - Sainsbury's certainly does, but prob nicer from a 'real' butcher! - they might even hack 'em into 3 for you!

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 09:34:23 AM »
They should sell them .. otherwise Tesco's will.
Have to say, I have a freezer full of, chicken wings, legs, feet and a whole calfs leg  :Crazy: (For the doggie).

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 08:09:01 AM »
i must try and find chicken wings this weekend!! I do have 2 proper butchers within a 10 min walk from my house, will one of those sell them?
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 00:48:41 AM »
Lucas & Riley have Bozita wet food (cartons) and PAH complete dry.  I started them off on Natures Menu kitten and JWB kitten, they were much keener on wet food so decided to try Bozita as it has a high meat content and is suitable for all life stages, they absolutely wolfed it down compared to the Natures Menu.  Tried a sample bag of Pets at Home complete and they seem to enjoy it just as much as the JWB so have switched to that permanently aswell.  It's got virtually identical ingredients with the same high meat content but is much cheaper so everyone's happy  :)

I think they'd really enjoy chicken wings so am defo going to try them with a wing each for a teeth cleaning treat.

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2007, 20:58:29 PM »
I've got the Olli one for mine a couple of times (when they've been buy 1 get 1 free) and they all go mad for it. They're not overly picky with food though, thankfully. Although they loved the Tesco premium but just lately have been just licking off the jelly or gravy. They'll eat whatever dry food is put out too but I got a ton of free samples of different types of Royal Canin in a pet shop the other week and they loved them. Whiskas cat milk here too, my Daisy would sell her soul for the stuff.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2007, 18:45:07 PM »
I keep putting this off but I am definitely going to get my two some chicken wings.  I'm not sure about Mosi, but I reckon Jaffa will love them.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 18:42:00 PM »
That's amazing :wow: Sounds like the perfect treat - great for their teeth and health (saving a fortune in both the short and long term in vets dental appts, as well as good for their quality of life), involves no cooking, minimal preparation, and keeps them entertained (for a while, anyway!) ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 18:32:43 PM »
What i like is to look at the teeth and the amount of tartar and recheck 2-3 wings later and its gone  ;D

I got behind on wing offering earlier in the year and lola had a bit of build up and pink gums, all better now  8)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 18:29:29 PM »
 ;D Thanks Gillian - I will definately try them on wings & necks. It sounds like a better (and more enjoyable for them) option than dental biscuits, especially (as Desley points out) with them being high in fat, which is not ideal for an indoor cat. It's also likely to be more cost effective and more natural for them. ;)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 18:38:13 PM by unseeliechylde »

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 11:49:44 AM »
Raw bones are perfectly fine for a cat.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 22:44:35 PM »
I had no idea they could be given chicken wings and necks - what do you do about the bones? I thought cats couldn't have chicken bones because they split into sharp shards?

Thats only cooked bones, raw bones are fine. Wings and necks are really good to keep teeth clean. ;D

I thought you couldnt give a cat bones of any type in thier food any one else have opinions on this ?  :-:   
If okay this would be good all butchers sell wing bits and thier quite cheap my dad used to by a bag for a pound and manirate them curry  :hungey:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 21:41:58 PM »
Mine are on Natures Menu, Perfect Fit and Asda Tiger Senior at the mo (Tiger does like her chunks, and I haven't got round to getting more Bozita yet, having issues with that!!).
Dry - mix of JWB, PAH and Perfect Fit.

Just for info, most dental dry foods are high in fat, I know Hills is, although not sure about the RC ones.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 21:22:01 PM »
I'm guessing I could just get them from our local butcher, but how long can they have them before they go off? Can they have them for a whole day, or just a few hours? (would they even last that long! :rofl:)

Yes, your local butcher will have chicken wings, or most supermarkets have chicken wings in packs, not very expensive, you can freeze the rest. I've only ever been able to find frozen chicken necks and this company has them: http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/products/wholemeatchunks/poultry-necks.php

Yes, they can have have them for a day, if they last that long as you say LOL! If you are feeding wings for the first time I would cut them into 3 so they are less daunting for a cat that has never tried them before, (there are 3 natural joints - so can be broken and hacked through, or even good scissors will cut through) like this:

And also you can warm them up to make them more interesting - just put in a freezer bag and plunge into warm water. Even though raw bones are fine for cats to eat - I would always advise supervising.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 19:55:06 PM »
A pouch can last a long time here as they get nibbled on and off when they fancy and if they didnt fancy , yet another one hits the bin............sigh

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 19:32:45 PM »
Ahh! I see  - silly me! :-[ That's a great idea, I'll have to try it out on my two. I'm guessing I could just get them from our local butcher, but how long can they have them before they go off? Can they have them for a whole day, or just a few hours? (would they even last that long! :rofl:)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 19:12:03 PM »
I had no idea they could be given chicken wings and necks - what do you do about the bones? I thought cats couldn't have chicken bones because they split into sharp shards?

Thats only cooked bones, raw bones are fine. Wings and necks are really good to keep teeth clean. ;D

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 19:06:33 PM »
Wet - Felix AGAIL (the only thing Rascal will eat at the moment)

Dry - Purina One - Chicken, Beef, Salmon

I cook them chicken and fish but only the boys eat it  :tired:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 18:44:04 PM »
Bluecat - it depends on the cat. Lexy is a very slow eater. Depending on the food she will either eat it all, or she will pace herself. She paces dry food, and her Sheba pouches she paces through the morning/day. If its the domes.. well they go quickly  :innocent:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 18:41:59 PM »

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 17:42:27 PM »
Was  Wet : tescos pemium pouches, now iams complete  pouches, felix pouches Pearl, sheba , chicken  I may add any thing that gets eaten is classed as a fav

Dry James well beloved lamb + rice , Oli shrimp ,  High life chicken Iams chicken ,   wiskas milk Def  :Luv:

I know the views on iams on here but very picky puss

One thing i would like to ask it takes mary half a day to eat one pouch any one else get this ?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 22:37:55 PM by bluecat »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 17:30:53 PM »
Dry             Technical Biscuits and Purina 1 fish........................I am hoping they will just have technical soon cos to have to get two different expensive ones is a pain adn Technical I can get in 15kg bags so much cheaper than buyong the largest on of puirina

Wet                   Felix pouches LOL they wont eat anything else

Misa likes Whisker topping as a treat and none of them will eat human food.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 17:22:16 PM »
Wet:  Raw chicken, turkey, beef or lamb - chunks or mince, liver, heart, kidneys. Chicken wings and necks. Natures Menu occasionally, Applaws, Almo Nature, Hi-Life - and cheap and cheerful Classic!

Dry: Olli and Hi-Life - bedtime snack!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 15:19:42 PM »
Wet: Natures menu, applaws, miamor, almo nature, eagle pack, bozita, tesco natural trays. I get a random brand from Zooplus each time i order.

Dry: Orijen, James Wellbeloved, Eagle Pack, Arden Grange, odd tub of Olli

For teeth they get raw chicken wings

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 15:08:12 PM »
Wet - natures menu, hi life, bozita, animonda carny, cosma, applaws/almo nature.  They're not fussy except that Mosi isn't keen on fish (except for tuna - esp applaws tuna with cheese!).  Animonda carny seems to be a favourite at the moment if the speed with which dishes are emptied is the criteria. 

Dry (Mosi only) - Orijen, James Wellbeloved, Hi Live, Almo Nature.  But mainly Orijen.  I just like to give him a change from time to time.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 15:04:11 PM »
Thanks, I'll have to check that out. Applaws chicken n' cheese sounds like something Riley would go nuts over - I'll have to look out for it. He is always trying to thieve cheese from my boyf's sandwiches :rofl:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 14:59:28 PM »
Yeah, I get my Dental SO biccies from the vets, as I've not seen them anywhere else so far.  I'll have to see if Vets UK sell them.

Its about £25 for a big bag, as Max has mainly wet with dry down all the time, it lasts for ages. 

Forgot to post on my last one, he also loves Applaws chicken and cheese  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Link to CatChat