Author Topic: Newbie saying Hi & looking for info.  (Read 8755 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Newbie saying Hi & looking for info.
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2007, 08:54:38 AM »
That's great news   ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2007, 11:39:44 AM »
Wonderful news.
Please spay your cat

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
  • Carer of Molly, Amy & Alfie.
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2007, 11:36:00 AM »
Hi All,

:thanks: so much for all your support. :hug:  Fizz had check up with the nice vet last Thursday (24.10.07).
Red Blood Cell count at 36 - has increased by 2 since last visit in September!
Paul had a good check of his eye as well, looks like the Uveitis has gone - couldn't see any traces of it.
So now on quarter of a steroid pill every other day for 2-3 weeks - Paul just wants to be sure we have the anaemia under control this time before taking him off the steroids.

Thanks again to Littlelijah for linking the uveitis website, that was so helpful. :hug:

Fizz bouncing around like a lunatic! :wow:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 17:33:42 PM by Turbogirlie »
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2007, 11:17:57 AM »
Hope Fizz carries on improving :Luv:

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2007, 09:05:58 AM »
Fizz's eye is looking much better now. It looks back to normal from the picture so fingers crossed it will stay like that.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 08:05:32 AM »
Aww, bless him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 20:38:24 PM »
Please see pix below to show how good Fizz looks! :wow:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2007, 10:26:33 AM »

He even surprised my Dad today who was visiting.  He's not seen the real character behind Fizz until today.  He came flying over the wall from next doors, making that chirruping noise to greet an old friend (Dad not been here since early March.) and fussed around his legs. 

;D Fizz!
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 22:25:43 PM »
Fizz is a survivor, that's for sure.

We took him to the vet in Jan as was staggering around all of a sudden.  His RBC was 9.  Although he didn't say at the time, Paul, the vet, didn't think he'd survive the week.  On the computer at the surgery it said Prognosis poor. 

Fizz loves life & living with us here.

He even surprised my Dad today who was visiting.  He's not seen the real character behind Fizz until today.  He came flying over the wall from next doors, making that chirruping noise to greet an old friend (Dad not been here since early March.) and fussed around his legs. 

Oh, and he had caught a Robin ( :() and left it in the living room for us to find.  My step mum did not appreciate that!

Fizz feeling good at the moment.  That's all that matters!

(& my Scirocco car passed it's mot last week, after being off the road for 3 yrs - another story for another web forum.)  Things looking up! :wow:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 16:52:39 PM »
Glad to hear he is doing better.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 23:23:10 PM »
Go Fizz  :wow:

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2007, 23:07:22 PM »
Update.

Had a good chat with Paul on Tuesday.  As Fizz showing signs now of recovery, decided against taking him and stressing him all over again for the blood tests.  His eye is all better - keeping him on one steroid every other day til the end of the month.

Paul explained that the bloods could prove inconclusive as to the reason behind his developing uveitis.  Paul agreed, that after the previous visit with his colleague, he doesn't want to upset Fizz any further, unless the condition worsens.  He is happy that we have Fizz's best interests at heart and trusts our judgment on his health & wellbeing.

Fizz is acting more like his old self again which is such a pleasure to see. :wow:

Thanks again for all your support - will keep you all updated on Fizz's progress.  :hug: :thanks:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 22:55:11 PM »
Oh yes, Mitzi was very cheeky.  Would just walk into anyones house or car like she owned the place! :rofl:  Fantastic cat, bless.
 :thanks:
Picture of Kitty & Mitzi below - bestest friends in the whole wide world. :hug:

Update on Fizz.  Paul, our vet, has just emailed.  He has looked at the pictures we sent & read our email about how Fizz is doing.  He is as certain as he can be without seeing Fizz that it is Uveitis.

He would like to see him to take further blood for testing.  He thinks that due to the autoimmune problem, this is why he has suffered from anaemia again, so quickly after we had helped Fizz recover from his chronic anaemia and suseptable to the uveitis.  He is concerned that as he is on steroids the uveitis has flared up and been so active over the last couple of weeks.

Problem is Fizz had a bad visit last time, and hasn't forgotton.

Other option is to talk to Paul about the steroid dosage as Fizz seems much better at the moment, he really doesn't want to stress Fizz out any more because of potential relapse.

However, it would be useful to find out what started the uveitis and how we can try to reduce the risks of re-ocurrence.  Know you cannot eliminate it but you can do things to minimise the risks of a flare up.  We are thinking what is best for Fizz at the moment.  Watch this space & will keep you all updated. :scared:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2007, 19:02:32 PM »
Mitzy looks so cheeky  ;D

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2007, 18:49:40 PM »
That  means an awful lot, thanks Gill. :hug:

Another picture of Mitzi below.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 18:39:26 PM »
I am so pleased he is much better  ;D

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 18:23:35 PM »
Just to let you know Fizz seems a lot brighter now.  He had a bad time on Thursday as you all know.  I have now taken him off the antibiotics & he is happily eating his cheese again - think he could taste the pill in the cheese.  No recurrence of the flare up of the eye.  Have reduced the fucithalmic to one dose a day - trying to keep him as calm & stress free as possible.  He seems so happy.  His eye looks almost completely normal again.

Thanks for everyone's help and support.   :thanks: :hug: :wow:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 22:32:53 PM »
Thanks LittleLijah - will keep you updated.  Will try to keep his stress levels down, maybe he thought that we were taking him back to the vet as he heard the car.  He is on Predicare for the anaemia at the mo.  I know it is stressing him applying the Fucithalmic as well and now he has stopped eating his cheese, having to revert to giving him his antibiotics and steroids directly, not in food.  Can't crush & hide in his food - he has always been a frequent but light eater - Molly & Amy will get the pills if I put them into his food.

Thanks for the advice - appreciated. :hug:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 22:26:13 PM »
If it is uveitis it can be treated with steriods but it will take longer to heal because of the FIV. My top tip would be to avoid anything that stresses Fizz because I found stress bought on problems with Georgie's eye's.

Keep us updated with the vets diagnosis.

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 22:20:28 PM »
& another picture of Molly.  Hard to believe that she was a cantankerous girl when she first came here.  Known as Charlie Cat (from the safety campaign of the 70's - Charlie says yowl, yowl yowl!) and so antisocial.  My sister's house was too noisy and hectic for her to have her own space.  She is quite worried about Fizz, bless.

Another picture of sweet Fizz, this is approx 3 years ago.  You can see how playful he is!
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 22:15:02 PM »
Finally managed to talk to Paul (ace vet) tonight.

He fears it may be uveitis.  When I got home he seemed better - no staining in the eye, squinting, full of energy.  Hour and a half later, his third eye lid was coming back over the eye.  @ 2 hours later, when I went to wake him up for some treats - raw minced meat, his eye was worse than ever with the staining.

Have re-emailed the picture to Paul for him to view - we think it is uveitis as he seems to have a headache - was running the car to see if we could find out what the knocking noise is when he came back and kept twitching his head each time the engine was revved. 

Currently sleeping which is good as he is resting.  Maybe he over did it, when he thought he felt better.

We are now reducing his steroids from next week to half a pill every other day for 2 weeks.  Hopeful we have kicked the anaemia in the  :censored: never to return.

Pic attached of Kitty.  She was a gorgeous cat we came across.  Possibly had Bombay in her as had a short nose.  We went to see kittens and were asked if we would take Kitty instead.  Know why now.  We were told that she wouldn't sit on you, wouldn't purr and hated her ears being fussed.

Poor mite, her ears were full of ear mites and she had chronic gum disease.  The vets we used at the time were awful with her.  Then we were told about Paul.  He treated her with so much respect.  He said that the gum disease had become so bad that her teeth all needed removing, which, at the time sounded awful.  However, after the op, her gums healed up and she ate biscuits with so much ease.  Her gums became rock hard.

At the tender age of 12 she was neutered - as never got caught we thought she was done.  However we think she was sterile.  Such a loving girl.  Unfortunately, her best friend in the whole world was killed on the road June 21 2004.  She became depressed and didn't want to interact.  Almost 4 months to the day after, on Oct 20 2004, we had to have her put to sleep as she had developed a blood clot which suddenly paralysed her back legs.  The vet said she would only last a couple of days, at least she had had a dignified end.  We had a fantastic 9 + years with her.  If her previous owners had kept her, I doubt she would have lived so long. 

Then there's Mitzi, totally confident.  She was the poor girl run over on the main road that Kitty pined for.  They would have washing fights as Kitty had no teeth.  They were such good friends.  She was just 5 when we lost her.  We were totally devastated.  Still, we had good times with her & Kitty - they brought so much sunshine into our lives.  Especially when Mitzi brought a live rat into the bedroom at 2.30am & it leapt up, over me and ran down my back!  I screamed & woke Fil up!  Rat caught in Fil's shoe & deposited out the front door, pronto!  Nightmare come true for me!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 22:26:00 PM by Turbogirlie »
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 19:24:59 PM »
Hi everyone!

Thanks for all the suggestions and link to the website about Uveitis.

Fizz does do raw meat, only on a limited basis.  He has always loved raw chicken, occasionally beef and more so now, minced beef.  He has never liked liver, raw or cooked.  Not a big lover of fish either.

Am reasonably happy with his rbc but will bear in mind about the vitamin supplements and yeast tablets, as you say, it shouldn't do any harm.

The vet hasn't confirmed the problem with the eye.  He was real sorry for himself this morning and rejected his milk treat (left over from my cereals) & his cheese.

He is quiet tonight but seems happier. ;D

Will go to see our regular vet tomorrow for progress, if Fizz will let us find him...... :tired:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 12:43:05 PM »
This is a pretty good link explaining about uveitis

http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/uveitis.htm

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 08:18:43 AM »
Welcome to Purrs, good on you for being so proactive with an FIV cat, and I hope the vet can figure something out.
Please spay your cat

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 08:03:17 AM »
Have you seen an opthamologist for Fizz's eyes? I know some vets have one even if they are only part time.

Have the vets confirmed that Fizz has a burst blood vessel? It looks to me like a condition my tabby had called uveitis (a inflamation in the eye)!?!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2007, 07:59:30 AM »
turbo you could give him some brewers yeast tablets (full of b vits etc)  you can get from the chemist, this is what i gave my fiv/felv puss and because they have a malty yeasty taste they eat them like sweeties.

You also can get a general vitamin supplement from the likes of VETUK i'd assume.  Put it like this if this stuff cant harm then what is there to lose  ;)  He is obviously needing abit extra if he suffers from anaemia.  Also My Soots had regular raw steak and he was also partial to abit of raw liver (dont over do the liver)

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 22:52:57 PM »
Gill - He is just 5 years old so don't know about blood pressure.  It is something we have wondered about though.

Lynn - No supplements for his rbc levels.  Our regular vet, Paul, said he should take enough vitamins etc out of proprietary cat foods, both dry and wet to increase his rbc to a normal level.  The steroids are to boost his appetite.  Problem is he has always been a light eater and fussy.  Only likes tinned food in jelly and his 'cruchies'!
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 22:31:45 PM »
Hiya turbo

I dont know about his eyes but wanted to ask if you give him supplements that may help with his rbc levels ?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 22:29:17 PM »
Just a thought but guess he is too young for blood pressure?

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 22:23:01 PM »
Aww, thanks.  Amy certainly thinks she is something special, but hey, aren't they all? 8)

Not much further forward with Fizz - spoke to vet tonight who really can't put his finger on the eye problem, just have to keep up with the fucithalmic, antibiotics and monitor him.  Apparently, there are cases of FIV & FLEV causing blood vessels to burst in the eye.  Have emailed pictures for him to have a look at coz poor Fizz got soo stressed last visit, :scared: daren't take him back just yet if we can help it.

Pic below of affected eye.

Thanks again for all of your support - both human and feline  :) - Fizz would be so happy to know that there are so many playmates out there, rooting for him to get well. :thanks:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 22:25:30 PM by Turbogirlie »
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 14:01:57 PM »
Hi Turbogirlie and  :welcome:.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2007, 22:37:40 PM »
Funny thing about torties, they are so high and mighty  :rofl: :rofl:

Here is my Madam Sasa (Sasha) who definately thinks she is a cut above all others  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2007, 17:05:16 PM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs,

I'm sorry I don't know anything about FIV but you will get loads of really practical / helpful advice from the regulars on here.

Your furries are gorgeous.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 14:45:35 PM »
4got to say it is great to find a forum where you can discuss FIV with others who understand. :hug: :thanks:
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 14:42:35 PM »
Hi all - thanks for the warm welcome & understanding!

Fizz says thanks too - he is a handsome cutie isn't he?

His eye is doing better thanks, have resorted to putting him on 5 day course of antibiotics.  Will have a chat with our regular vet tomorrow - th vet we saw on Thursday didn't inspire us with confidence.  She had great difficulty in getting blood for test causing poor Fizz some distress.

Since using the fucithalmic and giving him antibiotics, the bleeding within the eyeball seems to be reduced and he seems brighter - played with Fil (my partner) in the garden last night and then caught a mouse for him.  He is from farm stock and will not tolerate being kept in, or even in an enclosed garden.  When he had chronic anaemia earlier in the year, and it was cold outside, he would not use the indoor litter tray we provided for him - he would go out, do his business, then come straight back in.

Attaching pictures of our other 2 cats, Molly & Amy.  Molly, the Black & White, is @ 10 now, Amy is her daughter and will be about 9.  We 'inherited' the pair from my sister @ 2 years ago when her circumstances changed and she had to find the girls a home.

Fizz loves having them for company, they are not so sure about him as he is, usually, a bouncy, fun cat.

Will let you all know what the vet says.

You all have some gorgeous cats - been looking at the gallery!
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline jetcleo

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Buddy & Daisy
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 09:18:05 AM »
 :welcome: Turbogirlie, Fizz is such a cutie!!
Always in my heart RIP Jet, Cleo, Poppy, Oscar & Sydney x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 00:32:22 AM »
Fizzz is stunning  ;D

Offline LittleLijah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 17:29:54 PM »
Hi Turbogirlie and Fizz, what a handsome chap. Welcome to the site. It's a really friendly place and great for advice.

I have an FIV+ 8 year old boy called Louis and as of today I have another FIV+ 2/3 year old boy called Boysie (who is currently hiding behind the sofa).

Has Fizz been scratching his eye because of the conjunctivituis, maybe causing the burst blood vessel? Why did the vet say it's something to be expected in an FIV cat? It's not something I've heard of and my tabby cat suffered with eye problems (mainly ulcers) for several years.

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 10:24:10 AM »
 :welcome:  Turbogirlie

:welcome:  Fizz
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:10:46 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Turbogirlie.

As Gill and Helen say, you will find a large number of people on here with FIV+ cats who are extremely generous with their time and advice.  Keep us posted on beautiful Fizz.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Link to CatChat