Author Topic: Newbie saying Hi & looking for info.  (Read 8754 times)

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
  • Carer of Molly, Amy & Alfie.
Re: Newbie saying Hi & looking for info.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 00:18:29 AM »
Hi &  :thanks: for the warm welcome!

His name is Fizz.  Picture attached as requested.

Will have a look at the links - been to the Glasgow website before but there may be new info on there as was a few months ago now.

We both wanted to understand as much as possible when he was diagnosed, to understand what he has to face and how best to help him through it all.

Keeping fingers crossed that all will be well for him.  His regular vet is an absolute godsend.  Unfortunately not full time at the practice we go to. 

Will let you all know what he says next week.

Good night & c u all soon!  :Luv:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 00:19:27 AM by Turbogirlie »
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 00:04:17 AM »
Hi Turbogirlie &  :welcome: to Purrs

I afraid I don't know that much about FIV but we do have lots of owners slaves on here who have FIV cats so hopefully they'll be able to help answer more specific questions.  There's also a really active Health & Behaviour section so if any of the questions you have are not FIV specific ie the eye issues you may get more replies over there.  You sound pretty clued up yourself but it's good to hear others experiences and thoughts too.

What's your little man's name by the way?  A pic would be nice too  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 23:38:33 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

This link is as about as good as you can get, its the best,  and I believe will give you all the advice about FIV

http://www.gla.ac.uk/companion/ofiv.htm

However if you go to this section in Purrs you will get lots of info from peeps who have FIV cats

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?board=10.0  and is also the place to post for help and asking questions.

Whats your cats name? I hope that he can be treated and improves soon  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 23:40:19 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Turbogirlie

• Adult Cat
  • Carer of Molly, Amy & Alfie.
Newbie saying Hi & looking for info.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 23:26:33 PM »
Hi there,

This is a fantastic website!  Just what I've been looking for over the months. :)
I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of finding out more info about FIV?

Our cat is FIV positive.  He is only 5yrs old, it was found when he had a blood test earlier in the year to check his red blood cell count as appeared anaemic.  He was suffering from chronic anaemia, our vet didn't think he'd recover but after antibiotics and steroids, bounced back.

After a couple of months the anaemia is back again.  However, knowing the warning signs, we are treating this in good time.  He is making a good recovery - RBC at 36 last night, but seems very depressed, lethargic and not really interested in eating much.

He has developed blood within the eye.  The vet (not our regular) said last night that this is to be expected with FIV - he is suffering from minor blood vessels bursting in the eye.  It is causing him some distress as he also seems to have mild conjunctivitis in the same eye, which we are treating with fucithalmic ointment.  He has suffered from conjunctivits many times before which may be the reason for his general apathy, together with the bleeding in the eye itself.

Is this right - I fear he may become blind over time due to this.  I also fear that, if this is happening, will he start internal bleeding at some point? 

When the FIV was diagnosed, we asked our vet to send the blood to Bristol for DNA testing to see how advanced this was.  The results were a little unclear - kinda in the middle so they thought he would be ok for years, subject to infections of course.  However, I fear that the bleeding could be indicative that he is entering the third phase.

Any comments would be gratefully received. :thanks:

Turbogirlie.
Luv & hugs,

Turbogirlie  xx

Link to CatChat