Cat Health & Behaviour > Health & Behaviour General

WARNING - the dangers of string

<< < (2/10) > >>

Rosella moggy:
I had left string hanging from tape at top of curtains in the event that we might move house and curtains need readjusting.  Never gave it a second thought until I found Millie chewing one of them the other day  :shocked:.  They have all now been cut off.

Helen+Sassy:
Another thing: keep your toilet lid closed! (yes really) Cats have been known to fall in head-first and drown because they couldn't get out :shocked:

Mark:
Another one to watch for is dental floss. I found a piece this morning despite warning OH to make sure it is binned  >:(

sarasara:
My little cat sophie ate a piece of carpet string which thankfully worked its way down and out of her system yesterday. The string irritated the anal glands which then flushed it out. She is very picky about eating at mo but looks healthy.

My big warning is about clothes. I had a cat who died a terrible death from cancer of the isophagus caused by sucking clothes.  Clothes contain deadly cancerous chemicals found in fabric softners and probably washing powders. Remember if you let your cat even suck at your hair or skin it is ingesting poisonous detergents, moisturisers etc.

Pretty_Kitty:
I can only vouch for how dangerous sting/cotton is.

My cat Murphy swallowed some cotton and ended up with intersusception. Thank goodness we were so persistant with the vets.

We noticed hime stop eating and miowing alot and not going to the toilet. We rushed him to the vet and they gave him antibiotics. These just made him foam at the mouth and made him aorse. We took him again and they said it was nothing to worry about.

Then finally it was the last straw and I called up and demanded to see the vet, she tried to book me in at 3.30pm that day but I siad it was not good enough. She then asked me to come straight away, I did so and it turned out that he was hours from death.

Luckily they caught it in time and operated!

He is fine now but just be warned. We also had insurance and they paid out as the operation was over £500!

I am so lucky he is still here and theat I was so persistant with the vet!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version