Author Topic: Running a Rescue is so easy  (Read 29610 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Running a Rescue is so easy
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2008, 08:14:41 AM »
I see the payment, not to pay for what has been, but for what will come in the future, so it's there for the next kitten/cat that needs rescuing.

If only more people thought like that it would be wonderful.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline murtle

• Kitten
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2008, 10:48:56 AM »
As a non rescue person, but as jo-public I am more then happy to pay a donation/set amount of money to rehome.  This amount I guess will reflect the amount people in the area can afford, but if they can't afford a reasonable amount to rehome an animal, can they afford for the animal to become poorly??  In this area £60 for a kitten £100 for two, and slightly less for older cats is the *norm* and many many people pay it and are happy to, discounts can be given in certain situations!!

I see the payment, not to pay for what has been, but for what will come in the future, so it's there for the next kitten/cat that needs rescuing.

I'm sure rescue work is tiring, emotional and also very happy, each in their own amounts. 

xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2008, 08:20:21 AM »
Christine, please dont feel guilty - if people didn't adopt from us, then we couldnt continue our work. I have only 'paid' for one of mine, and that was cos I did it as a surprise. I think I have more than paid for Molly's adoption fee in other ways though, and while I didn't 'pay' for Snowy, I also didn't take advantage of their offer to cover the vet care apart from her dental (and that was only cos I had just paid for Ginger's and couldn't afford both in the same month), and with her liver issues, she did cost quite a bit.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2008, 12:15:38 PM »
"Do you give Bengals away for nothing as well"  >:(  I should have known that they were after a freebie when he said this  >:(

Charming.  :tired:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2008, 12:15:10 PM »
I've never had a lot of money to give - but I have and still do have a lot of time, affection and patience. I would always like to give more but usually am unable to.

Regardless of my personal opinion on set donations, I still think you guys are all amazing. :)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2008, 12:13:56 PM »
I know better now of course but I think it is probably a good idea to tell people what is involved. 

This all fell on deaf ears  :tired:  They had also seen Vita the Bengal on my homing page, and the guy said "Do you give Bengals away for nothing as well"  >:(  I should have known that they were after a freebie when he said this  >:(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2008, 14:46:23 PM »
In some cases I do think it may be genuine lack of awareness of the costs and work involved.  When we adopted Blip, I honestly did think we were doing the rescue a favour by giving her a loving home and that our donation was "extra" so that the rescue could carry on the good work.  So we only gave £50 or £60.  :-[

I know better now of course but I think it is probably a good idea to tell people what is involved.  Then folks might be more likely to be generous - even sponsor the rescue with a regular donation each month perhaps?

Rescues with resources could do a little info sheet with FAQs to give to potential adopters.  Some probably already do.  For smaller rescues, I wonder if Tan could put up a similar notice on here that new adopters could be referred to?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2008, 09:17:28 AM »
some people just always want something for nothing Dawn.

Another way to look at it too is;  If they are not willing to pay a reasonable adoption donation....  does this mean that were the time to come would they stump up the cost of neutering???  i.e. if homing a kitten.

All cats we home have everything already done, no outlay for the new owners hence we never quibble over the rehoming fee.  That said it is extremely rare that anyone does quibble it... possible 1 in every 50 people -ish... if that.

you're always going to bang your head on a brick wall with some people no matter how accommodating you are ;) 
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2008, 03:54:33 AM »
I dont really know about donations, I think fair enough to ask for the cost of the neutering as the new owner would have to pay it anyways. But for food already eaten then no. I think the cost of flea and wormer is ok if they have been recently done as it make sure your not bringing a cat home with these.

If a rescue does not charge this fee does that also mean they dont take donations? Same difference I guess.

The donation helps to cover the cost of the cats that are still in your care, not for the one you've adopted.  I don't charge an adoption fee but I do ask for a voluntary donation but I sometimes wonder if having a set price is the best way.  I rehomed a couple a few weeks ago, I received no donation whatsoever.  Within a day I was bringing one back as he just wouldn't settle and he was petrified, I then had to travel back to get him which I didn't really mind as I know he was stressed, I then got another phone call as the other hadn't been to the loo and they were getting worried  :tired:  It meant another journey over there and I just ended up bringing him back as I was sooooooo  :censored: off as they were expecting me to do all the running about, and me ending up out of pocket  >:(  When I picked Toby up, I told them if I was going over to pick him up, I wanted my fuel covering, the guy asked if a tenner was alright as I'd already been over once, when I got there, he scraped together a fiver which didn't cover my fuel for the one trip, never mind the two.  Some people do take the  :censored: but I usually say, at the end of the day, as long as they get a good home, that's what matters but some people really want everything for nothing  >:(  The woman said her mother was looking for a cat and they would take on Toby,  and as far as I'm concerned, no chance if she's anything like the tight :censored:  daughter and son in law  ;)  These people were definitely taking the  :censored: and they probably thought they'd got a soft touch even though I explained that everything came out of my pocket and the laugh of it is, they try to make you feel, they are doing you the favour for taking on the cats  :Crazy:  :Crazy:

ccmacey

« Reply #74 on: March 15, 2008, 23:26:19 PM »
My local cp lady said she asks for a donation of £50.

I dont really know about donations, I think fair enough to ask for the cost of the neutering as the new owner would have to pay it anyways. But for food already eaten then no. I think the cost of flea and wormer is ok if they have been recently done as it make sure your not bringing a cat home with these.

I do agree with rescues charging an adoption fee, I dont see how they could work propperly without it?

If a rescue does not charge this fee does that also mean they dont take donations? Same difference I guess.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2008, 20:03:14 PM »
I think this thread should be deleted now because it makes no sense at all as so many of the comments have been deleted.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2008, 01:20:26 AM »
I decided to delete my posts because they were quite simply off topic of the original thread which I began which concerned the emotive and stressful side of rescue.
When I deleted I got message saying message blank so thought I would put a happy face in to cheer everyone up  :)

I can't see how it was off topic somehow, financing rescue is also stressful so it is all part and parcel of the same thing.  Putting the smiley you used had the opposite effect as it didn't quite fit in with the responses, so appeared to be mocking  :tired:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2008, 21:46:27 PM »
Sorry for the delay only I had to dash off to attend to a new rescue.

I decided to delete my posts because they were quite simply off topic of the original thread which I began which concerned the emotive and stressful side of rescue.
When I deleted I got message saying message blank so thought I would put a happy face in to cheer everyone up  :)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2008, 19:44:34 PM »
:rofl:

Why have most of the posts been deleted and edited with smileys  :Crazy:  :Crazy:

[

I am a little busy caring for my cats at present but will be happy to provide an explanation when I have a little more time.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2008, 19:32:23 PM »

Why have most of the posts been deleted and edited with smileys  :Crazy:  :Crazy:

Felt abit bad reading some peeps beliefs being knocked though, abit uncalled for imo and each to their own.

Probably because most of the thread is deleted, so the whole context of the thread has now changed.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2008, 15:52:34 PM »
I agree with you JS

I am of mixed opinion...the rgt (dogs) had an optional donation, at the time i would have preferred a fixed price as i didn't have loads of money but could offer a greyhound a very good home, at the same time i would not have wanted to show myself up by offerering a pitence.  I gave them 75quid for my first grey and the man was bowled over, some folks dont bother giving anything others give a fiver he told me  :scared:

Is it possible to have some sort of guideline donation figure but "at new owners to be discretion ? "

Felt abit bad reading some peeps beliefs being knocked though, abit uncalled for imo and each to their own.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2008, 22:28:18 PM »
Blimey! I've not been in this section for a while, but there seems to have been a huge spectrum of opinions on here.

I figure each rescue knows which way works best for them personally - and at the end of the day, I wouldn't have a clue how to go about what DD, Lesley or Teresa do.

I admire each person that is either involved in or runs a rescue because they're all amazing; and are regularly quite literally lifesavers.

:)

Offline radcliffeanimalhelp-han

• Adult Cat
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2007, 17:25:24 PM »
I UNDERSTAND COMPLETELY WE RUN A HOME RESCUE AND HOUSE AT THE MOMENNT 6 CATS 2 DOGS AND ABOUT 8 RABBITS IT DOESNT SOUND ALOT BUT FOR A 3BEDROOMED TERRACE HOUSE....ITS HARD THERE ARE ONLY 2 OF US THAT DO IT AND I WOULDNT CHANGE IT FOR THE WORLD WE HAVE 2 FERRALS IN AND ITS MAD...BITES N SCRATCHES N ALL ITS SO REWARDING I WOULDN'T CHANGE IT FOR THE WORLD :]

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2007, 05:28:22 AM »
It also surprised me that the local rescue centre only charged me 50 pounds for my two cats.

Cats Protection branches are not allowed to charge but they can ask for a minimum donation. I think unless it is suggested some people are just so excited when they are to get a little one that they tend to forget. Although on the adoption form it does have a little box to put the amount in, but as they seem to  miss out other bits as well perhaps it is just an oversite. I know  some branches, have  strict rule no donation, no cat but with us a good home is far more important than a donation, although I have to be as sure as I can that the little one can be afforded they lifestyle it  have come accustomed to with us. All our cats are homed Chipped. flead, wormed, injected and all those 6 months and over neutered/spayed.

I think the word 'donation' would confuse folk as a donation would be  what 'they' want to pay but its 'fixed' by the rescue so probably the wrong word to use if im puting this over right

Registered charities can claim ‘Gift Aid’ (28p in the pound for the tax man on donations by tax payers). I am not sure we would be able to claim that if  we sold cats for a fixed fee.

I have to say that I fully understand why Leslie needs to charge, quite simply she would be unable to help the little ones if she didn't.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:29:09 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2007, 11:17:47 AM »
Jan from cupar animal trust shelter would say ...the 'donation'   is not for buying a cat/kitten or other animal its to help keep the rescue running ....you could look at it  that way.   

I kinda not up to date on following this thread folks.... and don't beat me up for saying this... but I think that this topic is kinda getting a bit off track and 'squabbling' over donation policies is irrelevant.

Each rescue has to do what is right for them to be able to keep going.

Ratie - Yes you are right... we do have  fixed donation and our homing form / contract states this as well as notices throughout our premises.  These clearly state our homing donation policy to the public that

" donation is not payment for the animal but a donation to CATS to allow us to continue our work for the needy cats in Fife and surrounding areas."

This is essential.  Without it we couldn't function and any donation given is cancelled out immediately for the new owner as they have no need to neuter, vaccinate, etc etc etc.  That said we could count on less than 1 hand the number of people who quibble this.

On committee approval we can reduce the fixed donation for instances where people are taking more than 1 cat. 

But.... again our own particular policy is irrelevant to other rescues (who charge more than we do in our area).  Trying to get a moggy kitten in the ads papers in central scotland will cost you £100 + :doh:

If Teresa can find a way to manage her funds so that she can stay open, help cats and find them homes without having to set a fixed donation ... then great!  ;D

If other rescues or independents need that extra funds then do it.... and don't feel guilty about it. ;)

It is good business sense to run an organisation with a mind set for obtianing a regular cash flow.   :)

So, please don't point the fingers at others who do or don't charge.  Its not about putting a price on an animals head its about using common sense to ensure you can keep the organisation going and if you can do that without charging ... then fabulous. ;)

Lets just concentrate on what's important.... the great job that all the rescues do for the cats who need us    ;D
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

MBll

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2007, 23:02:59 PM »
Teresa   im not aware that i was .

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2007, 22:57:27 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 16:36:00 PM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2007, 22:50:53 PM »
If you choose to do Rescue what is the point of complaining about lack of clothes/holidays etc- its a fact of life and the cats dont care what a human is wearing anyway.

I don't complain apart from not having any jeans with zips in, it's getting a little cold at the moment and I hate flashing my knickers even if it is just to the vet and the cats  :evillaugh: , this is something I choose to do and something I love doing, all I'm saying is we can't rely on the good lord to provide.  I am quite happy going without, if I wasn't, I would have given up doing this a long time ago.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 22:51:55 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2007, 22:41:39 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 16:36:36 PM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2007, 22:39:17 PM »
We all know rescues are in need of funds to continue the good work you all do, that's a fact and the reason this forum is alive and well today.  I don't feel that there is a need to debate what each rescuer feels is their driver and motivator, whether it be money or their personal faith. Questioning what these are, in my opinion, only serves to take away from the good work people do.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2007, 22:38:07 PM »
Dont feel bad Lesley, charging what i consider a small amount (a full vax course could come to that) means you are able to help many cats a year, that otherwise would have nowhere to go  :(

We are always stating on this site that people should not advertise cats as "free to good Home" as it encourages the wrong type of person.  Could this not be said to be the same with regard to rescues.
I agree, if someone cant find it in their hearts/wallets to give a reasonable amount to the person who has spent £££'s getting their new pet fit and healthy, then what happens in an emergency vet visit.
Put ya money where ya mouth is i say  :shy: they get the credit with friends/family for saving some poor kitty with a sad story and they pay nothing  >:(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2007, 22:34:23 PM »
I think Teresa is more than well aware of what running a rescue means and entails  ;D

I think that all rescues must do what is purrrrrrrsonally best for them in their own situation and circumstances.

There are not black and white rules that the independents on Purrs adhere to and thats why they are independents and they make their own choices as to how to the run and what is best for the cats in their care  ;D

They all do a great job too  :wow:

MBll

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2007, 22:30:21 PM »
Teresa, well look at it this  way.....this 'donation'  goes towards....food....vet bills,   worming, defleaing,    petrol etc etc etc etc etc etc....all which  helps the rescue run as without it you can do nothing.....your not selling anything.  

Helping stray and abandoned animals in rescue care means that you need 'donations'  how can you provide food, vet bills etc without this?     Yes ok so you take money out of  your own pocket but theres is a limit to this as you cant do this permanent.  And if your waiting for the 'good lord' to provide assistance to you then dont hold ya breath.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2007, 22:30:11 PM »
Yeah, but my hubby says your backside looks good in them. :rofl: :rofl:

Tell him thank you  :bum:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2007, 22:29:21 PM »
We are always stating on this site that people should not advertise cats as "free to good Home" as it encourages the wrong type of person.  Could this not be said to be the same with regard to rescues.

I am sure that all responsible rescues vet every prospective home very carefully.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2007, 22:28:22 PM »
Yeah, but my hubby says your backside looks good in them. :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2007, 22:27:11 PM »
I am totally with you there Dawn, I had to try on four pairs of jeans this morning before I found a pair that actually did up probably

None of mine actually do up  :-[

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2007, 22:24:56 PM »
I am totally with you there Dawn, I had to try on four pairs of jeans this morning before I found a pair that actually did up probably and they have a hole in the knee, but I made sure I paid the Vets bill this evening so I could pick up George's medicine.  I would love to say I could do rescue without charging anyone for a kitten but for me that is a fantasy and, whether I liked it or not, the kittens would ultimately suffer, I can't magic up money from nowhere to pay for medical necessities, food, etc, etc.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2007, 22:14:48 PM »
I dont think any rescues are about money, but sadly it is a necessary part of looking after animals.

I totally agree Des.  I'm sorry T but it would be great if we could all rely on the good lord but you know as well as I do that that is a load of nonsense, he doesn't pay my bills.  I know things usually work out in the end but without the fantastic peeps on Purrs and others, dipping into their pockets to help us out financially and also donations from cats we rehome, that is the only reason us rescues can keep going.  I do good work, I go without, my kids go without but I still worry from day to day where the money is going to come from to pay for it all.  I don't go on holiday, I don't go out anywhere other than when it's to with cats, I don't buy new clothes for myself unless I need them......most of my jeans at the moment have knackered zips on them, has the good lord provided me with any more, no.  I'm sorry for sounding off but we need money to function, without it we can't do what we're doing, we can't feed them with nothing!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2007, 21:45:28 PM »
I dont know T, but the problem is you dont find out for a while due to the time it takes for cheques to clear. I am sorry you are unhappy with the way the thread has turned out though. I dont think any rescues are about money, but sadly it is a necessary part of looking after animals.
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2007, 21:42:36 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 16:37:16 PM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2007, 21:41:58 PM »
I took in a black/white girl called Jasmine from the vets earlier on in the year.  I made the lady give me a donation........she had taken her in to be pts, and she was a heartless  :censored: , I was fuming and thought there was no way she was getting away with it.  I would have taken her anyway but she was treating her like you would treat garbage and she would have had to have paid for euthanasia anyway.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2007, 21:41:28 PM »
I never ask for a donation from people who bring kittens and cats to me but, surprisingly, they often offer money or food, litter, baskets, toys etc.  I even had one family who asked me to take a mum and her five kittens who had moved into their garage and they gave me a donation of £50 to cover the cost of spaying the mum, which I thought was really good of them as it was obvious it was not their cat but just a visitor.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2007, 21:36:02 PM »
I think it depends on the reason for giving them up, the bloke I had on the phone last month wouldnt even get his cat neutered while he was on the waiting list, cos he didn't want to spend money on something he didn't want. Some definitely would though, although I have been promised money more than once for helping out and it has never happened.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2007, 21:33:53 PM »
I think that woud just mean more cats dumped and therefore more expense and heartbreak for cats and their rescuers

Link to CatChat