Author Topic: Running a Rescue is so easy  (Read 29611 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Running a Rescue is so easy
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2007, 21:32:08 PM »
The person I foster for says she should start doing that, but I can't bring myself to do it, so the lady who dropped Marmalade off just gave me her bowls, food and carrier, I didn't ask for anything else (she is spayed, wormed and de-flead though, which is a help).
Please spay your cat

MBll

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2007, 21:29:55 PM »
Just want to add here .... there are rescues that take a 'donation' from folk that hand in their animals aswell as rehoming/keeping the rescue going....ponderosa in leeds iv been  told do also edniburgh cat & dog home......in my oppinon i see that as necessary & right.

Especialy  for the small rescues ...which i think are  hell of a lot more in need

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2007, 21:24:53 PM »
Never thought of that RR, might mention it when I am at the rescue tomorrow.
Please spay your cat

MBll

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2007, 21:23:07 PM »
When folk are willing to reply to ads with kittens selling at £60, £80, £100, £150, £200 &  £220 these are moggies ...then there should not be any issues with rescues.   Yeah  i have seen these ads

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 21:09:47 PM »
Dawn, I personally dont, but i dont set the rules, I personally think we could ask for more, as I point out to people who get females, if they had to pay for the neutering alone at my vets, it would be more than the adoption fee, and a male is only slightly less - we cover neutering on kittens, all they have to do is mention us when booking in and take their adoption paper.
I do hate asking for money though, and it is even worse now we can't accept cheques (sadly, we had a few bounce last year), as you have to bring it up, and I have covered part of a couple myself when I have known it would be a good home - I am proof that not having money for adoption fees doesn't mean no money for vets. I am iffy about asking for donations when people drop cats off as well, would much rather fundraise.
I like Jan's way of looking at it, very true - if we dont have the funds, we can't help the cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2007, 21:06:25 PM »
Definitely, the donation side of things is to help pay towards all the cats that are still currently in your care, not the one's that you've rehomed.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 21:07:03 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2007, 21:04:22 PM »
I see it exactly how Jan does then.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

MBll

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2007, 21:02:24 PM »
Jan from cupar animal trust shelter would say ...the 'donation'   is not for buying a cat/kitten or other animal its to help keep the rescue running ....you could look at it  that way.   

I think the word 'donation' would confuse folk as a donation would be  what 'they' want to pay but its 'fixed' by the rescue so probably the wrong word to use if im puting this over right?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 21:15:05 PM by RatiesRule »

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2007, 14:49:32 PM »
 :rofl:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 16:38:10 PM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2007, 14:38:13 PM »

I now feel a bit awful charging what I do, after reading the other posts, but I honestly could not keep going if it were not for these funds and I certainly couldn't hope to keep the long term residents up to date with the medical requirements.

Lesley  :slap: how dare you feel awful  :sneaky:  Money doesn't grow on trees, the money has to come from somewhere and I honestly don't think people realise how much we go into debt to help these cats.  Apart from vet bills, you have to cover fuel costs.......mine are horrendous and some weeks I put in well over £100 with running back and too doing trapping, you have flea treatments, worming treatment, food, cat litter etc etc........where does it all come from if you can't get donations!!  I don't get any help whatsoever with the cats, now and again if I'm lucky my kids will top up a food dish  :tired:  I don't get any sleep and I go to sleep thinking about cats, dream about cats and wake up thinking about cats and worry about my bills.......I always say rescue will be the death of me and I have a horrible feeling it will  :shify:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2007, 14:28:34 PM »
I think we definately looked on the money as something we owed the rescue for feeding, spaying and vaccinating our babes before we knew them, we are in a fortunate position I suppose and didn't really think too much about the cost I know that pet shops locally charge just as much for kittens

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 14:22:37 PM »
I think Lesley has a good point about location and know around here they will charge a donation for dogs but not for cats, cos nobody will pay to take a cat on here, which is very sad.

Yes in the south of england I am sure its easier to get the donations and each rescue has to look at what they can do where they live, there is no right and wrong.

I love all you rescues and the number os cats you help is an inspiration  :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 14:17:28 PM »
Unfortunately, as I state in my leaflets I give to people, I have to make a charge otherwise hubby would not let me do this.  I find that genuine prospective owners do not mind paying and multiple cats does not seem to bother them - I had one family come to look for two kittens and actually reserved four! and never flinched at paying the full donation for all of them.  

I hate the money side but I think I am fortunate that here in the South people are more willing to pay.  I do not think of it as payment, maybe that is naive of me, I think of it as contributing to the continuance of the rescue.

Some owners send me Christmas donations every year and drop food etc off during the year.

The other fact down here is people are selling kittens on pet shop noticeboards and some of the on line "stickybush" sites for over £100 with no vaccinations or anything so for the donation I am asking for I hope they consider they are getting a good, healthy kitten.

I now feel a bit awful charging what I do, after reading the other posts, but I honestly could not keep going if it were not for these funds and I certainly couldn't hope to keep the long term residents up to date with the medical requirements.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 14:11:59 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 16:38:39 PM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 14:02:13 PM »
I don't set a charge, I ask for a voluntary donation and keep my fingers crossed that they realise how much I pay out and how much my vet bills amount to.  Sometimes people do take the mick though and I remember rehoming Cleo and Holly a couple of xmas's ago, they were vaccinated, wormed and deflead and I spent about £20 on fuel and the lady gave me £5......what a  :censored: cheek, I did get these babes back though  ;)  I get a lot of people moaning about the cost local rescues charge for cats/kittens but I do tell them that it would cost more than that if they did everything themselves.  I think the only time where I have my doubts about set prices, is when you have 2 in together, if they charge £65 per cat/kitten, I think these animals are more likely to be split as people can't or won't pay £130 for 2 cats/kittens.  Sometimes I've been put off taking them into the rescue if I've been chocca and squeezing them in here myself because I know they are likely to split them which to me isn't in the best interest of the cat.......they say, we will try and keep them together but can't guarantee it  :sneaky:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2007, 14:01:04 PM »
One thing you are not T is an ordinary person  You are very special and so are all the others who spend so much of their lives caring for these poor cats.  :Luv:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2007, 13:58:58 PM »
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 16:39:15 PM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2007, 13:41:45 PM »
The money side is awful.  I ask £60 for a re-homing donation.  I know it seems alot but I get them vaccinated, microchipped, de-flead, de-wormed, veterinary health checked and if old enough, they are neutered.  Most of my kittens come to me at a couple of days old so it is intensive care, and there are so many that need extra medical care on top of the normal.

My hubby says if people are not prepared to pay this they should not have a kitty as this is not extortionate and shows they are committed pet owners, but it does put some people off.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2007, 13:27:39 PM »
do you really think that would put people off Des?  We paid 65 for each of ours

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 08:24:27 AM »
Here here Andrew - we ask a £35 donation as we daren't increase it in case it puts people off, we get very few people give more (can only think of 1 when I went through last years adoption papers, and nobody who has adopted my fosters this year has given more, although one has said they will in the future), and that nowhere near covers things, even with Gift Aid on - we are lucky we are registered and have perks like Gift Aid, I can't imagine how hard it must be if you can't set an adoption fee or have 'extra's like that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Andrew

• Adult Cat
  • Ginger
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 20:42:13 PM »

It is NEVER easy to run a rescue, especially with Paws Inn, without any umbrella above it... To be honest, I don't think many people can do it, be it financial reason, emotion, dedication etc.

I don't know Teresa well but I know she has a great depth of knowledge regarding cats and I know she is very busy with the rescue most of the time.. It's not like sitting in an office doing paper works all the time or cuddling cats all the time... Teresa literally has to do EVERYTHING... from all the bookkeeping, driving to the vets, hand rearing, cleaning, taking phone calls, worrying about where the money will come from, feeding, giving pills etc.. And it is not like she can just sleep for 8 hours a night and leave everything in the morning -- cats aren't only sick during daytime..

It saddens me that she has only one volunteer over the weekends. It also surprised me that the local rescue centre only charged me 50 pounds for my two cats. I calculated -- vaccinations, wormers, vet bills, food and accommodation in Mount Noddy, it was surely more than 50 quid for two cats. I gave more. I felt rather sad if not angry that that seems to be the 'market' price as if they charge more, it will discourage people from adopting.. I do not understand in any way that why people don't pay a bit more toward rescue centres when getting animals..

And there are people saying the same thing to Teresa that 'it's easy to do a rescue because all you do is to cuddle the cats everyday and night'. Sometimes I wonder if they are nutters.. Another mentality I can't stand is those who say things like 'there are enough dying children in Africa already, why help cats?' I can only reply those who do not care about animals do not care about dying children in Africa.

For someone like Teresa (Dawn, Ela and others), they have my deepest respect. They do everything themselves and not just sitting around and doing bits here and there.

Teresa, you're doing a wonderful job and without you, I don't know what the world would be like.

Andrew

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 12:03:47 PM »
I take my hat off to you. You do such a wonderful job....  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 19:10:59 PM »
I don't normally read this section, not being part of any specific rescue.

But I just wanted to say, Teresa I don't think it's easy. I think all you people do an amazing job and it must hurt like hell when you lose one of your rescues.

I get up daily at 8am to give my little Junkie his jab, whilst trying to pacify my Old Mog. The other two aren't amazingly demanding, but this means I have to make more of an effort to ensure they know they're loved! (If you can understand what I mean by that!) The kitten that I got off Freecycle (because I was worried where she'd end up!) is currently causing havoc....climbing curtains, jumping on my older cats backs....you get the idea! And this is for cats that I consider to be my family - even then it can sometimes be tough going. So for you to do what you do....well, I can't say it enough.

I think you're all amazing!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 17:34:14 PM »
I think all you lovely people that do rescue are wonderfull, where would all those kittys be without you.

Here, here!

Your all worth your weight in gold  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

ccmacey

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 10:37:29 AM »
I don't believe running a rescue is easy, not when its concerning the things you love the most, there are hard decisions to make and lots of heartache to take too.

I think all you lovely people that do rescue are wonderfull, where would all those kittys be without you.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2007, 22:07:27 PM »
Unlike some rescues that have funds and support from headoffice (bet I get slated for that but he  ho

Not at all, as long as you realize that last year we spent over £49.000 and receved from Head office enought to pay less than one weeks vet bills. The rest well over £48.000 we had to raise ourselves.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 22:08:15 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 09:12:59 AM »
Just found this thread T and I think you are one in a million  :hug:

Unlike some rescues that have funds and support from headoffice (bet I get slated for that but he ho) you have to find every penny by yourself. I don't know how you do it but there are thousands of wee furbabes out there who are so pleased you do  :hug:

Susan calls you the cat's Fairy Godmother  :Luv:

As the others have said we love you T  :hug: :hug:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2007, 09:12:54 AM »
Like so many others I`m just a very ordinary person trying to make a difference.

Just like the poem I have posted a couple of times and is on my site:-

IT MATTERS
As I walked along the seashore
This young boy greeted me.
He was tossing stranded starfish
Back to the deep blue sea.
I said "Tell me why you bother,
Why you waste your time this way.
There's a million stranded starfish
Does it matter, anyway?"
And he said, "It matters to this one.
It deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one.
I can't save them all I know.
But it matters to this one,
I'll return it to the sea.
It matters to this one,
And it matters to me."
I walked into the shelter,
Ginny greeted me.
She was helping Hope learn to trust.
She was struggling I could see.
I said, "Tell me why you bother,
Why you waste your time this way.
Hope's only one of thousands,
Does it matter anyway?"
And she said, "It matters to this one.
She deserves a chance to grow.
It matters to this one.
I can't save them all I know.
But it matters to this one,
I'll help her be what she can be.
It matters to this one,
And it matters to me
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 21:58:05 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2007, 08:52:59 AM »
I feel embarassed now; thank you all for your support. I do feel better now.

Like so many others I`m just a very ordinary person trying to make a difference.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 23:00:59 PM »
I third that  :hug: :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 19:58:00 PM »
I am soo proud to know you.  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

And I couldnt have put that better, either  :Luv:

That goes for me too. We love you T xxx

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 19:57:04 PM »
I am soo proud to know you.  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

And I couldnt have put that better, either  :Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 19:51:56 PM »
T you are one of our and to be quite honest the Worlds angels on earth. I love and have sooo much respect for you T and all the rescues on Purrs and everywhere. Yours and their devotion, the total love and care you give uncondisionally to every babe with no thought to yourselves, the time the engery every day every hour purely for thier happiness. You in rescue are my heros and always will be. I am soo proud to know you.  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

This is exactly why Purrs is here for wonderful people in rescue like yourself any many more on here and anyothers we can help.  I get such a buzz to have set this up and with all of our absolutely fantasic members raised money to help angels like you cause that's something we can do, we can help take some of the strain of finding funds away. We can be here for support whenever any of you need it.

Thank you all of you for being who you are.  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 17:39:43 PM »
Take care, Teresa. You are never alone really, you know...  :sneaky:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Nor could I.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 13:42:49 PM »
Well just had the vet round to do 11 vaccinations, Busters monthly jab and check on all else.
In some respects things were good he is pleased with the progress all have made including Angelica but now says that he hopes for my sake its not fading kitten syndrome.He says it could be something passed on from mum.
Worst news of all, Isabella,I knew she was pregnant and she is currently sharing a pen with her 2 kittens Larry and Rory, the plan was to split them next week when Jessica goes to her new home as I thought babies would be a couple of weeks away; Andy`s just examined her and feels that my midwifery skills may be needed in next few days,so here I am pen juggling again.
Life is never dull and I dont know the meaning of the word bored and there are thousands of people all over the country in just the same boat as me. I feel better for getting it all off my chest instead of bottling it up.
Thanks for all the support :Luv:

MBll

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 13:07:14 PM »
I dont know what to say on this, i know rescue is hard fustrating work more so on the human side. Im so sorry about minbuster :'(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2007, 11:09:10 AM »
I've seen first hand like other on here what you do every day Teresa and even then there is no way I can appreciate the hours that you put into the care of these little ones. Not to mention the emotions.

I saw what you were like with poor Cringle, and the love you give Anastasia (by the way Pav is still so in love...) who poor mite has been dealt a hard blow and still all she wants is a lap to cuddle.

That's all down to you.

Yes people do think about how great it is to cuddle them, to be fair, that's what we visitors do, give them a cuddle. We have no real idea T. We really don't until we have to live in your shoes.

You know I am one of your biggest supporters and will do anything I can to help. I only wish I lived nearer to help lighten the burden of some of the routine things you need to do every day.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP little one xx

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 11:02:01 AM »
T, I'm sorry he couldn't be helped but as I said last night we can't work miracles no matter how hard we try.  He'll be on the bridge now with my 2 little ones, and they can grow stronger together.

Take care hun, and you know where I am if you need me, xx

:RIP: little ones and sweet dreams, xxxx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 10:35:48 AM »
Been up all night cuddling Minbuster,he went to the Rainbow Bridge this morning;his sister is a little brighter; do I sit and grieve NO, I`ve cuddled every cat that wanted it this morning and Thanked God for their little lives and present health and happiness.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 09:04:03 AM »
Take care, Teresa. You are never alone really, you know...  :sneaky:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I've only done a bit of rescue work in the US for 3 months when I was a teen and every day I went home in tears and after the summer was over I had to go back to school. It was a no kill shelter thankfully, I would have snuck out all the animals if it had been the other kind.

Fostering so far has been rewarding and I hope to keep doing it, though my heart will break when these two kittens finally get a home.

Still, we know you guys go above and beyond when it comes to the cats and for that you're all amazing.

Now someone please remind me to get a box of tissues for my desk! I'm constantly here in tears without a blasted kleenex ;)

Link to CatChat