Author Topic: I've just found Rio  (Read 18653 times)

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
Re: I've just found Rio
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2007, 12:00:44 PM »
Tan I have sat hewre & read through each & every post !!! Took ages !

Sorry bout your little chappy..  :'(

Garf is absolutley stunning ! Glad he is settling in well x x

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #151 on: July 30, 2007, 18:11:24 PM »
Thanks soo much  :Luv: :Luv: All ya posts really helps and means alot  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2007, 17:43:15 PM »
Tan I really am so sorry i missed this thread ... :(..

I know nothing i can say will  make the pain go away at least you now have Garfy warfy and sure Rio would approve ..

All my love and furry headbutts hun xx
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #149 on: July 26, 2007, 19:02:52 PM »
Blimey, don't know how I missed the Garf thread - well I do actually. Old age and just plain daft. He's so cute. It's wonderful that they are getting on well -you won't have that furniture looking so good for much longer mind you.
 :hug:  :hug:  take care of yourself Tan.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #148 on: July 26, 2007, 18:37:03 PM »
 :care: :care:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #147 on: July 26, 2007, 18:33:42 PM »
>Swampmaxmum.......and if your wondering about Garf check this out  ;)

http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=6164.msg96187#msg96187

Tan  :hug:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 18:36:37 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #146 on: July 26, 2007, 18:30:41 PM »
Hi Hun
 :thanks: :hug:

It helps to have Gizzy and Garf but i am still not thinking about my lad cause it hurts to much when an image of his wonderful ways come into my head.  The only way i am coping is not to think of him. I would give anything to have my lad back.  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #145 on: July 26, 2007, 16:30:43 PM »
How are you Tan? And how's Gizzy doing? hope you are both ok?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #144 on: July 19, 2007, 13:38:28 PM »
Tan what ever is right for you and yours  will become clearer with time, on the fun issue I took an outside bird table and put it in the family room with some scratching posts for the inside only Clan cats and they use it as a scratching post and take turns to sleep in the table part, Boston and Dallas also like to play on the roof area - Robin thought I was mad but they love it and now we have one outside in the middle of the garden for the others with no ground cover they haven't caught anything on it so its a game of king of the table!

The garden looks wonderful and now has me wondering how Robin is going to put a pond in the outside run I am designing in my head!!!

They do adapt Miss Gracie was 15 when trapped and is now a gummy 17.yo. inside Lady! ;)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #143 on: July 19, 2007, 13:27:52 PM »
Tan your garden looks like a cat paradise! I like the run ways, aslong as Gizzy isnt sat there the whole time peering over i dont think its teasing him.
I also think the plans for the house sound great, im sure Gizzy will love that  :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #142 on: July 19, 2007, 13:20:10 PM »
Your garden is wonderful, Tan.  (Ooooh I wish. Bloody London flats!) What they do like, if you can find it, is a pipe wide enough to run through but not get stuck. If it were me, I'd get a kitten as a companion as I think from experience that it's easier for them to make friends if one of them is a wee one.
How are you doing today?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2007, 13:16:00 PM »

So want to keep the walkways at the mo and he does have three diff heights in the garden to already.

I'd keep the walkways Tan, but maybe get some more plants, climbers (or more bamboos and tall grasses which are pretty indestructible! etc to grow up and around them, so its a bit more interesting, gotta step over twiggy bits and through undergrowth etc to get where he wants to go you know? What about a couple of posts like I've got in the garden, with platforms round? Again,  maybe in amongst the plants, such as that nice bamboo you've got. I just used ordinary fence post banged in with metpost, and to add a bit of 'finesse' (LOL!) an acorn finial on the top!

I've heard behaviourists say its a good idea to bring new stuff into the garden every now and then, you know - something new to investigate, like new plants, maybe a big ole log etc.

Heres a pic of my post

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2007, 12:49:14 PM »
Your garden looks great, Tan.  I think Gizzy will adapt if you give him time.  Looks like he has plenty of outdoor space. 

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2007, 12:38:23 PM »
Awww.........Gizzy is prob just as bad worrying bout his meowmy  :Luv:  :hug: :hug:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2007, 12:33:08 PM »
Thanks for ya replies hunnies

The eve my lad was killed and i kept going out calling and looking for him, i got Gizzy in and unbeknown to me Guzzy was on a fence just above where Rio was lying in the bushes. He def must of seen him  and when i eventually found Rio, Steve brought him in for me in a blanket and layed him down so Gizzy couls sniff him. I just couldn't face seeing Rio so i was out of the room.  The last picture in my head i have of Wasser is of his back curled up in the bush and i couldn't look at him after that cause the pictures always stay in my mind.
So yes Gizzy has seen Rio before we took him to be cremated. He should be coming home from the cremitorium soon. I still can't think of him and his wonderful ways and try and ignore any thoughts of him at the mo.

Not sure about the garden walkways hun but it's a very good point. I will keep an eye if he is looking over alot and it is making it harder for him to adjust.  From reading advice and speaking to our wonderful Wizz's and reading Vicky Hall's advice on indoor cats, you can double their territory by increasing the verital space in ya home. So want to keep the walkways at the mo and he does have three diff heights in the garden to already. He has a ceiling cat tree in the bedroom where he can sleep on top of our wall to wall wadroboes and has a half way scratching activity in the lounge in the corner. Will also  be putting up shelves for walkways and sleeping places on the hall walls and also some in the lounge to add to his hight in the house. Steve doesn't know yet though :shify:

Gizzy has been excellent today doing alot of sleeping now after a big play with a long bamboo stork, he caught long leaves on the end and killed them at least 15 times.  Steve says he was ok yest eve and cried a few times but otherwise contantly in the garden. I had to go off to the hospital to see my sis and didn;t get back till past 11. I was worried he would be ok, maybe i worry too much about him and he is picking it up lol!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2007, 23:57:47 PM »
Ditto>Gill re: the walkways  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2007, 23:08:40 PM »
I agree with what everyone else has said and your garden size should be fine for Gizzy and a friend , if you decide to go that way.

Just one thing worries me a bit about the garden and its rienforced by the pictures, Others may have different views on this and mine is, I wonder whether the walk ways round the top of the garden make Gizzy more inclined to want to be on the otherside cos he can see whats there and is very close but cant get there?

I was thinking about Misa and Sasa and how Misa is now copying Sasa and climbing up on the big wall, which is really scaring me cos they can climb over at the end into the front and the road. I keep catching Misa up there and he is using it as a look out across the gardens up the road and possible a good perch to watch for mice and birds next door. He gets down reluctantly when I go out and have also caught Sasa up there too but she is harder to get down cos she is scared of me and I am worried she may panic and rush the wrong way.

I was thinking how they would be if they could not get out of the garden, which is twice as long as yours, and it makes me feel guilty trying to stop them cos they go into the field behind in the summer so I understand your dilema 100%. The heart says I couldnt keep them in the garden all the time but I am getting so scared of what they are doing now although have no way of stopping them at present.

Soooooooooo this makes me wonder about the walkways and the temptation, cos I thought they were so good when I first saw them. Cats love to climb, well Misa does, so wondering whether a big climbing thingy in the middle of the garden maybe a good idea.

As I say just thoughts and others may have comments on this too.

Please keep Mr Gizmo in, I know its hard but agrre with others that he will adjust, cos he was OK with it at one time, wasnt he?

I think that to get another kitty you have to be ready as well as Gizzy and its a big decision when you already have a cat. Like blackcat, as you know, I needed to get another cat as soon as Kocka had gone to the Bridge but I didnt have another cat. I found just the act of going to see cats and touching them to be wonderful but getting the right cat is very hard I think. Certainly introductions for you maybe hard and you have to be ready to be able to go through what could be a stressful time, are you ready and/or could it be helpful to you?

Sorrry not being much help but I think you in your heart know what you want to do  :hug: :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2007, 21:57:07 PM »
Tan, how about contacting one of the local rescues and seeing if they will let you foster a cat you think might be suitable? Good luck, and i do hope you can find a good solution.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2007, 21:08:54 PM »
Tan I think you have a very big heart. You love your boy so much and want what's best for him. The fact that you are already thinking about giving Gizzy a playmate means you are open to the idea, no one needed to suggest it. If its right for you, you will know when to make that call.

Gizzy is young and I am sure a playmate will keep him happy if they get to play together. 

Sometimes blessings come when you least expect them... x

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2007, 20:20:06 PM »
Did he actually see Rio once he was gone? If not, he is possibly looking for him, which would be why he wants out. Grisley as it sounds, I find it far easier for the animals if they can see their lost companion on last time so they know what has happened. Ever since i started doing this, the remaining ones have adapted much faster.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2007, 20:10:03 PM »
I think that you have a wonderful garden and there is plenty of room for Gizzy to enjoy.  And plenty of things to see and do.

It is difficult to know, of course, but at the moment Gizzy is grieving, so it is probably not that he is bored, just very sad.

My guess is that he will adapt happily to life in your back garden.  As I mentioned, Blip has a territory not dissimilar in size.

:hug:

xC

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2007, 20:02:03 PM »
Tan, you have a wonderful garden and it's obvious how much consideration you've put into whether your cats will get enough enjoyment out of it.

I kind of have the same dilemma as you with regards to feline companionship, as although we currently have four cats Parsley was the only one that enjoyed actually playing with the youngest. Little Cat mopes around the house quite a lot and it's awful to see her looking lost. She has tried unsuccessfully to initiate play with the others, but they've never really been interactive with their mad half hours.

Unfortunately, I'm well aware that practically speaking my lot are getting older which means heftier vets bills - which in turn means it would be harder to support five cats. Gah!

Sending you a huge hug. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2007, 19:28:57 PM »
Thanks  :Luv:

It has alot of stuff for them but only small so now new bits to discover. i thought when designing it, it would be great for them and they do love it but it can't beat the wide outdoors and with Rio he cryed all the time to go out the front even with the garden as it is.   :tired: He did like the pond  though as you can see form one of his fishing pics.

We will be putting in some more plants to make the back of the pond totally wild but i am rubbish at gardening so tend to chuck in what i think and hope the plants survive. Found some crickets today in the feild and brought them in for him to hop and catch. He's not a very good hunter as they all got away and now it sounds like we are abroad!!!

Helen hun you hit one nail on it's head with
Also agree with BC, of course Gizzy will miss going out the front but is it really him that is sad or do you feel sad for him because you know he used to enjoy it?
  yes i feel very guilty and sad and seeing him looking around or wandering around the garden as if he is bored i tend to belive it more.  :'(

If Gizzy could get on with another babe i think it would help him as i know that no human can play like two cats can and the company then maybe enough for them to stay indoor and happy. Oh that would be so great and a big weight of worry lifted. Only if i can get the right newbie.  I know from Rio and Gizzy that any newbie has to be smaller and with Gizzy mustn't be a timid nature or Gizzy will scare the life out of him but also not too strong personality to want to take over top cat position (this is what happened to Rio with Gizzy) .  I have always had boys as i have read that girls can get bosy and want to be top cat when they get older which wouldn't be good for Gizzy.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2007, 18:38:30 PM »
sound like he needs a new kittie - around 6 months old so it can stand the heat  ;D What lucky kitties you have to have all that available for them........ Am intrigued by the idea of a cat-proof garden - not a concept that has been developed in the antipodes where we go in for runs but the garden is much better as they can run in any direction and have a thoroughly good romp!!

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2007, 18:38:03 PM »
more

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2007, 18:35:39 PM »
more garden pics

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2007, 18:33:23 PM »
Thanks for your posts  :Luv:

Yeap i have all my garden cat proofed and redesigned it for the cats when i lost Rio's bro  Ochi 18 mths ago to the road. It was never enough for Rio so took the awful descion to let him out the front still.
Gizzy is 98% always in the garden as he can come and go as he pleases via cat flap in back door.  Both Rio (used to)  & Gizzy sleep out there at night esp in Summer. 
The garden is about 48 foot long  (8 x 6ft fences long) and 20ft wide (3 and half 6ft fences wide)  It has a roofed summer porch off to the house with soft chair (old arm chair) and other seats al for the cats to sleep on. Also i keep the cat carrier there behind a chair  so they have a hidey place in the porch to sleep. Then we have the main garden which has two cat tunnels (one of them has two floors in two sections) running along on each side, lawned area in middle with pond to one side with fish, have a double cat cabin one one side with a cat playstaion and high walkways all round the garden on the fences. Then at the back we have a big shed with a enclosure on the top for them and at the back of the shed another cat cabin high up and another cat tunnel.  We still need to put more plants in and at the mo i have left everthing grow wild even the grass in last two weeks.
All this and they love it  but doesn't seem enough think cause it's only small area.

The pics below and above are at time either when building the garden or as it is now except now it it more over grown!

Gizzy has always been more of a cat's cat and used to follow Rio around alot and entice him to play. This was great for Rio when enventually excepted him after about 4 weeks. It brought Rio a new liease of life and they played alot in the garden.   Gizzy is more "playful agressive" than Rio was and used to play roughly with Rio which Rio sometimes hated as he was more gentle nature.  Gizzy has never learnt not to use his claws in a play fight and that usually meant Rio backed off quicker when Gizzy got too rough. Gizzy is definately a strong personality and doesn;t like to be pettied to much but loved Rio licking him.   :innocent: He def would need to be top cat if i introdued another babe for him for company.

I totaaly agree that each and every one of my babes can never ever be replaced by anything. Each one has had a special wonderful way and personality and all will always be in my heart.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 18:34:27 PM by Tan »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2007, 17:26:17 PM »
How big is your back garden, Tan?  If you don't want to say, that's fine - Blip's territory is probably about the size of an average garden outside London.  So if yours is that sort of size, I am sure Gizzy will soon adjust to back garden life.

I am really sorry to hear you are having panicky feelings, hun.  Breathe deeply from the diaphragm for a minute or so when you feel that happening.

:hug:

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2007, 16:18:54 PM »
i got another cat 7 months after losing my precious cat and although i hate myself for saying this i could never love her as much as i loved my other cat and i wish i allowed myself a little longer before getting another one

When we take on another cat, we have to remember, they will never take the others place.  When I lost Dylan, he was my baby and yes he was my favourite which I hate admitting, and I never thought I could love another cat like I did him but I was wrong.  I will always miss and love Dyl but I've had so many needy furbabes in and I've had a few that have melted my heart like Dyl did but none will ever take his place, they are all unique in their own way and I think if you get another one thinking they will in some way replace the one you've lost, a lot of people will be sadly disappointed as this doesn't happen.......no two cats are the same but it shouldn't stop you loving the new one for who they are  :Luv:

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2007, 15:54:25 PM »
hi tan , if it were me id secure /cat proof your garden for giz and try and get him use to just making do with staying in his own garden at least you wont have to worry every time you let him out ,
can i just say that id think long and hard before getting another play mate for giz
i got another cat 7 months after losing my precious cat and although i hate myself for saying this i could never love her as much as i loved my other cat and i wish i allowed myself a little longer before getting another one
my thoughts are with you tan take care  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2007, 15:53:12 PM »
I wrote a post earlier and then lost it all cos comp locked up  :censored:

I agree with the others and yes you are being too hard on yourself  :hug:  I went through all this when I lost Dyl, Nobby and Oscar and I didn't know what to do for the best apart from the fact, they would now be living indoors.  Mine all loved going out and used to spend hours in the woods but for their sake and mine, things had to change.  Giz will find it hard, he's not only lost his buddy but his freedom as well   :'(  In some ways it was easier for mine to accept, as they always have plenty of other mates they can hang around with but Sooty got hit the hardest.........Dylan was his best mate, they were always together and were always snuggled up, it broke my heart watching him as he seemed like a lost soul.  In time they do get over their loss but if I'm honest, I don't think Sooty will fully get over losing him, he's never been the same since Dyl went  :'(  In your situation, I would get him a playmate, he's still young and needs another outlet as you've already said yourself, sometimes us slaves are not enough for our furbabes no matter how hard we try.  Playmate wise, I would either go for one of similar age to Giz and similar temperament, or go for a couple of kittens.......this will also help fill the gap for you that darling Rio has left behind and may make it easier for Giz to cope with his loss.  We all know you will do what is best for Giz, you know him better than anyone and will know whether he will accept a new buddy or two into his life.  Thinking of you lots, and you know where I am,   :hug: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2007, 14:28:24 PM »
I'd second all that, Tan.  From my own experience, my Swampy was unsettled and cried sometimes for nearly 6 months when I kept him indoors after just one near drama too many and I felt like an axe murderer, but after that he's never looked back. He adapted just fine as I'm around a lot, as you are. He became really relaxed and people dependent, very very purry and much less anxious too. I did get him a companion, which stressed him out at first (normal!) but he's a very sociable cat so he accepted the kitten (bat eared Max) after a few days. They are still fiercely jealous but are always curled up together and love each other and there are mad kitty games they can play that we just can't! I don't know Gizzy's character - does he generally get on with other cats quite well? He's probably picking up on your distress as well, but in my personal opinion, you're doing the best to protect him and he will almost definitely get used to being an indoor cat, especially as you are around. 
I'm a bit confused - you have a safe bit of garden that he can be unsupervised in and can't get out? Otherwise, any chance of a cat run situation so he can get some safe outdoor space? I found that a harness, although hugely enjoyed by Swamp, distressed him a bit - outside but no freedom to move around where he wanted, whereas a cat run he just loved.
Please think of yourself too and look after yourself. It's your decision obviously but in my umble, you're doing the right thing for both of you.  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2007, 14:21:06 PM »

Tan, petal - you're being way too hard on yourself, and not giving you or Gizzy time to grow accustomed to the loss of Rio.

Couldn't agree more...

Also agree with BC, of course Gizzy will miss going out the front but is it really him that is sad or do you feel sad for him because you know he used to enjoy it?  I've seen pics of your garden and it's fab, a real kitty paradise.  If Gizzy was the type that was out roaming 24/7 then it might be more difficult but it sounds like he is the type that can get used to having a smaller territory, that's all it is - you're not depriving him of outdoor pleasures as he has a fab garden to play in and feel the wind in his fur, chase butterflies etc

If you feel able and you think Gizzy would accept it then a playmate might be a good idea, when I look at the boys playing and chasing each other I'm so grateful that I have two as I don't think I couldn't be playing with them for the amount of time that they play with each other.

:hug: to you, and a head kiss for Gizzy

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #119 on: July 18, 2007, 14:17:59 PM »
Tan, petal - you're being way too hard on yourself, and not giving you or Gizzy time to grow accustomed to the loss of Rio.

Cats really are very adaptable, but like us, they need time. 

I think what Blackcat says is good advice.  The beauty of having a new face around is that it helps to concentrate your mind and energy, but you have to be prepared for the risk that you or Gizzy would be uncomfortable with the new arrangement so soon.  Then again, some cats - when they get used to being only cats - would be horrified at the thought of another cat in their home so advancing the argument  introductions are best done sooner rather than later. 

Paddy was like that when we got Flynn.  He never really took to Flynn - he tolerated him, and sometimes he'd let Flynn close, but on the whole he viewed Flynn as a damned nuisance.  When Flynn went missing Paddy wasn't fussed, and started to spend more time in the house than he had before.  He was more upset when our old dog had to be PTS - he adored her, and used to act as her eyes and ears when she lost her sight and went deaf.  He missed her loads. 

I think it's so hard for you to make a decision at the moment when everything's so raw.  You're full of guilt over Rio's death and for Gizzy being alone, but you're hurting too.

I hope that if you're meant to have another companion for Gizzy you'll get a sign very soon.  The great celestial cat agency will let you know.  Til then, take care of yourself, and  :hug:  from me and Paddy

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #118 on: July 18, 2007, 14:07:43 PM »
tan this is a question only you can answer. Personally, whenever I lose an animal I go right out and obtain a replacement (if one is to be had). The energy I use in introducing it into the household and making sure no-one's noses are out of joint and that the new animal is comfortable safe and secure is positive energy and so can help keep the stress symptoms you are describing. It would also give Gizzy something to occupy his mind, particularly if you keep the new kitty in a different room so they can get used to each others' smells before meeting nose to nose.

On the other hand, only you know how Gizzy might react to an intruder. It is important to remember that a lot of our emotions are transferred to the cat, so you may be assuming he would not take kindly to a newcomer because that is how you feel you might react.

Getting an outdoor cat accustomed to being an indoor cat is hard, but if he has a safe garden he can go to that ensures he is off the street then as a responsible cat owner you maybe have to ensure that this is where he is restricted to. Even if it means being a bit mean in the interim.

Big hugs and make sure you are looking after yourself.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2007, 13:56:25 PM »
 :thanks: hinnies so much for your posts and support.  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

I am ok when i don't think about my lad and sooooo much about him i will never have again.   :'( Think my brain has had enough of crying and is protectively trying to avoid thinking of him.
Still have a shaking inside and seem to be in panic mode all the time, finding it hard to relax esp as i still worry all the time about Gizzy. 

Gizzy is starting to get pretty frustrated now esp in early eve. I have been playing with him every time he wakes to try and break his habbit of going out the front but he is getting bored very easily even with diff new toys and diff games. It was sooo upsetting to see him looking so fed up last night and anything i tried to entertain him wasn't working. I have all the differnet toys and even been out hunting real feathers to use with them but I can see in his face he is sad and fed up after the initial play with a new toy. Have been rotating them too :(  Realized I'm not enough for him - ie to replace playing with Rio which he did alot and the hunt and diff things happening outside.

When Ochi died, i did the same with Rio ie played and gave him lots of attention and we had the closest relationship i have ever had with one of my babes  but i made him very dependant on me. (Rio was never a big sleeper in the day at all and always active and loved going out the front) If i had to work most of the day (work from home so always here for him when he wanted me) i would play with him thoughout the day in shorter bursts but had to get work done so had to, at times ingnore his  attention seeking, he would then go out instead. We got into a good routine so i could have a good working day and Rio was happy with me, the outside and playing with Gizzy.  We all got into this routine with Gizzy mainly sleeping more than Rio in the day and in between sleeping and our games would also go out.  Everyone was relaxed, content active and happy but not safe!

Trying so hard to find a happy solution and really need to to stop this panic feeling. Last night seeing him upset and bored, one thing kept coming in my head "It's not right"  "it's not right" .....to stop him going out which he loves. He is only 2 years old and active. But it's also not right for being loving responsible  mum of me to let him out to be killed or hurt .  I would always put his happyness before mine as to have him live unhappily would me my doing as it was my choice to adopt him in the 1st place. It's a no win situation and soo hard.

It's like i can't rest or be calm inside till i find a solution, So i really need your thoughts, This is where i am at:-

-He is getting bored with what he has. I know  now i am not enough for him, for the rest of his life to entertain him all the time kept inside / garden only to have a happy content life for many years. 
-The garden is not big enough to entertain himself on his own even though it has lots of tunnels,pond, posts etc for him.
-If i let him out as he is used to for over a year (even if i restrict his out times), he is in danger of the road.
- Gizzy hates anything touching his back and gives you a slap if you do, so cant use a harness to take him out.
-He has always had the company of another cat to play with and now he is on his own.

Poss solutions?
- Still keep Gizzy indoor / garden only and see if he will except a playmate who would also be indoor / garden only to help entertain him.  This does scare me cause it took Rio a long while to introduce Gizzy and Rio used to go out  alot to escape the intruder in his home.  If Gizzy feels the same, he his now not allowed out so would be trapped with no outlet (like Rio had) from the intruder in his core territory.  This could cause him more unhappyness and may not solve is love of the outside anyway. (to bring another babe in to this area and to let them have freedom would mean a short life so would only have another babe if indoor only)

- Let Gizzy go out at very restricted times once or twice and be an only cat. 

Whatcha think or any other thoughts?

:Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #116 on: July 17, 2007, 22:20:41 PM »
Good for Gizzy, who will be just fine indoors with all that love and play. Hope you are ok Tan?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #115 on: July 17, 2007, 22:09:01 PM »
I am sure Gizzy will do fine  ;D

We look forward to seeing you back, how are you doing?  :hug: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #114 on: July 17, 2007, 21:12:04 PM »
Tan,

It's good to see you've posted. :) Hope you're all doing OK.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2007, 20:53:55 PM »
I am glad that Gizzy is doing ok indoors

But  -

How are you doing Tan ?  :hug:

Link to CatChat