Author Topic: I've just found Rio  (Read 18652 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: I've just found Rio
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2007, 17:44:33 PM »
Good little Gizzy.

:hug: to you

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2007, 16:49:15 PM »
With love and care (and Gizzy gets lots of that, it's clear) cats can be remarkably resiliant.  He'll miss Rio, but he'll learn to adapt.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2007, 16:47:27 PM »
Gizzy will be just fine I'm sure  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2007, 16:43:39 PM »
glad to hear gizzy has been making it not too hard on you  :hug:

Me too  :hug:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #108 on: July 17, 2007, 16:40:15 PM »
glad to hear gizzy has been making it not too hard on you  :hug:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #107 on: July 17, 2007, 16:15:23 PM »
Have kept Gizzy in now since Sunday and he has been soooo good and only cryed twice by the door a little. I have been playing with him a lot in the garden with fishing rod toys and bugs but he starting to get board of them now . I know I have spoilt them with the toys so balls and little furry mice don’t work with Gizzy and he doesn’t play on his own very well. He mainly played with Rio more than toys.  The garden is only small too.  I just hope it will be ok.

LOve to you all
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #106 on: July 16, 2007, 07:22:07 AM »
Sounds like Gizzy will come round to the idea of being an indoor/garden cat, bless him.  Look after yourself Tan.    :hug:  and Chaptan too   :hug:

And Gizzy   :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2007, 00:16:13 AM »
Nice to see you on Purrs Tanniiiiiii  ;D

It sounds like Gizzy is learning akready, cats are so clever. Look after yourself  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2007, 22:04:38 PM »
Nice to see you back.  I'm sure Gizzy will keep you occupied and will keep up all the good training Rio and Ochi started in to getting his human sorted.

Our thoughts are with you and yours

Liz, Robin and the Clan Cats and Jazz the dog and as yet 2 un-named goldfish ;)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2007, 20:26:45 PM »
You take care of yourself too, hun

:hug: :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2007, 19:24:54 PM »
Great to hear from you Tanni.

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: from the Lex monster xx

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2007, 19:10:23 PM »
It's true, Tan, my mum's cats were outdoor country cats until she moved into an apartment after Dad died. She had a really small pen built onto the balcony and that (on a concrete base) was all the outside they got from there on in. They settled in just fine. One was a siamese and the other burmese - both cats of strong character, so if anyone was going to be a problem they would have been. Losing a pet is like losing a child. You never get over it, particularly in such horrible circumstances. But it does get to the stage where you can laugh again. Focus on all the good things you did together and it will help Rio reach down from the bridge and give you a kitty-hug. Do take care and look after yourself. Your other furbabes need you too.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2007, 18:59:32 PM »
Can I also add that my Gizzy (who i catnapped from my sis) was used to going out for a year before he came to me....mine are indoor only....must admit bit of a battle at first, but now just accepts this as the norm  :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2007, 18:44:46 PM »
Good to hear from you, Tan  :hug:  I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but I don't.  It hurts like hell when you lose a furbabe and nothing can take that away.  The saying that time heals is partly true - in time you do get to the point where you smile when you think of them instead of crying, but you'll never stop missing him.  Guess that's the price we pay for loving them.  I'm glad Gizzy seems to be ok about not going out the front.  he'll get used to it.

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2007, 15:49:41 PM »
lovely to hear from you Tan.Big hug from all at the stables. I know what you are going through and sometimes it feels like your heart will burst with the pain but eventually it gets a little easier. I couldn't cope with losing Teddy so blocked it out and I still cannot think about it now two years on.

I have been thinking of restricting my two because of losing Teddy but even if they go out the back they can work their way round to the front. I'm afraid to shut the front cat flap because they could get trapped theire by the Ginger Tom with no refuge. I can't enclose my garden because it has a right of way for my neighbour. So I have to go thorough the daily dread of worrying how they are when I'm at work .

I don't know what to do for the best either. I am trying to encourage mine to play in the back garden rather than the front lane. I know they both like hunting so I have put some sheets of  wood and slates and roof tiles down and other things that mice like to nest under and left several areas of my garden really wild. I have created a wildlife garden at the bottom and hope to put a pond in for all the frogs. I try to keep the grass cut short regularly for the rest of the garden so they don't have to fight their way through wet grass (which they both hate). They still play out the front lane on the tarmac !?????

Ever time I see them out the front lane I toot my horn loud and long which is teaching them to be scared of cars and I have used handclaps and sharp noises to scare them into the bushes when cars come down the drive.   I don't want to move home so I have to try and improve the odds for them. It would break my heart to keep Peanut indoors now because he is a confirmed hunter and outdoor cat. I moved to this house in a private no through lane so that he could go outdoors. Its not safe anywhere.

I am not going to l;et the cars beat me I go out and remonstrate with anyone speeding and try to make everyone aware of the animals down the lane. I have set up a PIR light and CCTV to encourage drivers to slow down I hope you can find a way to keep Gizzy safe . Maybe we should all start a `pet safety cut your speed' campaigne in our areas.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2007, 14:28:13 PM »
Hi Tan       

Good to see you back   :hug:

The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2007, 13:19:18 PM »
Tan so glad to hear that you're keeping ok  :hug:

It's great that your persisting with keeping him in as much as possible too.

Just take care of yourself, hubby and Gizzy and take your time, don't worry about the shop just now, and if you need any help I'd be more than happy to give you a hand  :hug:

xxx

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2007, 12:51:04 PM »
Thanks soooooooooo much for all your messages. I have been reading them via email each and every one and it really really means alot having your wonderful support. thank you soooo much.  :hug:

Still can't take it in he's not coming home and i can't watch or think anything  about him at the mo. I am trying to concentrate on Gizzy lad and have been gradually trying to change his habbit of going out the front which reading on the net you have to do gradually.  Last few days have been shutting the wooden door of the front cat flap (they both knew that when the wooden door was down it was in time) and only let him out twice in a day and he has come back within about 15mins thank god.  I have been ignoring his crys to go out the front which actually he isn't crying too much and i have distracted him by playing in the garden.  Today i have litterally been a garden knome and he hasn't been out or asked to go out at all so far.  I have decided it is the only way to go to retrain Giz to be indoor / cat proofed garden only and the biggest reason is it's not if it's when he would be seriously hurt or killed on that road.

Gizzy and I have been catching bugs and he found a frog which he chased all round the garden till it plopped into the pond this am so he is now knackered and slepping it off.
It was his birthday on Friday just gone, and was 2 years old.  It helps to think he will be with me alot longer than my Ochi (year and half yrs old) and My Wizzer (just over 3 yrs ) if he is not allowed out the front but i just hope he is a happy lad too.

Sorry i haven't been on alot lately, i hope to be on very soon and get the Purrs shop up and running.
Love to you all
 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :thanks: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2007, 06:32:31 AM »
 :hug: Tan.....

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2007, 11:05:28 AM »
Dear Tan, I've only just seen this now and want to say just how very sorry I am and I'm thinking of you.
I nearly lost Swampy when he was an outdoor cat, to cars and also getting himself shut in cellars. My late Mum told me I was taking years off my own life and to keep him in and get him a companion. About the only advice of her's I ever followed, but it was good advice. Swampy was unhappy for 6 months, but then became a relaxed, loving and actually happier cat. They do need more attention though and if you can bear to get Gizzy a 4 legged friend when you feel up to it, as long as they get on well, that may be the answer.
We had a terraced house and built a small cat run attached to the window and screened the other windows. Looked not so lovely, but b*gger the neighbours if the little loved ones are safe. x

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Hope you're doing ok, Tan  :hug:  I don't know what to suggest about Gizzy, tbh.  I guess I wouldn't make a decision too quickly and as a knee jerk reaction.  It's natural that you want to prevent the same from happening to him, but if he's used to going outside he might not be happy indoors.  If you can cat proof your back garden that would be great. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2007, 07:23:53 AM »
Tan, I'm so very sorry.  I'm gutted for you.  Don't know what else to say.   :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2007, 00:10:19 AM »
Tan I think you will do whats right for both of you can can and do adapt we have our real nasty feral Ace who is 4 he spent 2 years outside as an un-neutered tom and has now spent 10 months inside nearly 2 years but he was part of our great escape and he allowed himself to be trapped, he has adapted and now doesn't look to go out and plays with thelaser pen like a kitten and has company in the other 14 grounded ones and the company of the indoor/outdoor mob in the evening.

Its the hardest choice we make and only you will know what is best loosing them is devastating and I'm sure Gizzy is confused as to where his brother is but I know when we lost Toerag I had to give Tiger his freedom the next day as being feral he went mad whereas Sweetie Toerags sister stayed in at her choice. 

Whatever you decide you have the Clans full support from all their paws and ours to as we have both sides to your dliemma.

Liz :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2007, 23:15:52 PM »
So sorry Tan, its hard to find the words to comfort at a time like this.  Like many others on here I too know the pain and shock of losing a beloved baby to an RTA, thats how my beautiful Ellie passed away.  Its taken me a long time to accept it, but I have and time is the only healer.

I am thinking of you and your family Tan, look after one another xxxxxxxx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #88 on: July 11, 2007, 22:25:32 PM »
Tan only just seen this thread although i had read your one on Rainbow Bridge but wasnt sure how ^Rio^ had passed.

I am so sorry that you have lost ^Rio^ in this way, i know only too well the guilt and heartache of loosing a furbaby to an RTA - infact i have lost 3.

You CANT blame yourself hun, Cats have to be cats.

After each RTA i kept my remaining cats indoors but they were so miserable, i had to allow them to go out.

Now they go out daytime only and i worry all the time they are out.

I wish i could take away the pain you are feeling right now - please know that we are all here for you and share your heartache

Much love and gentle healing hugs

Michelle xxxxxx

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #87 on: July 11, 2007, 22:07:33 PM »
have you got feliway diffusers tanni ? might be worth getting a couple of em going just incase gizzy does find it a wee bit stressful over next couple of weeks. (remember to take yer perfume ones out)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2007, 21:55:19 PM »
Tanni don't make a decision too soon. For now, I agree keep him in and watch how he manages it.  If you have the back cat proofed and he can't get out then you can still let him out there once you feel comfy enough with that.   Maybe giving him extra activities inside (not toys) but climbing opportunities, hunting etc (read up on the very great stuff you posted for us on the Health and Behaviour) on how to stimulate an indoor cat.  Just take it a day at a time honey. I can only offer that advice (probably very lame).  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2007, 21:39:30 PM »
Hi Tan. Hugs to you.

My 3 all have outdoor access 24/7 so you can see what my natural inclination is to allow them free access to outdoors. I live on a very quiet narrow Avenue set back about 20 yards from the road. We bought this house with cats in mind. All the same, after living here for almost 17 years, we lost Aslan my darling boy to an rta last year.  Since then, I strongly discourage, altho do not completely prevent, the boys from getting out the front and so far they pretty well always stay around the back (at least whilst I'm looking). If I thought Aslan's rta was not a one off (which of course I hope and pray it was) the boys would just have to get used to indoor only or I'd look into cat runs. At the moment, on balance, I'm inclined to continue to allow 24/7 access to outdoors but I don't have the same problems with speeding traffic as you appear to have.

I suggest you take it slowly at the moment and keep Gizzy in and see how he reacts. Please try not to overeact if he howls at the door initially. You are feeling very raw at the moment and, if it were me, I would "feel gizzy's pain" even if he was just pissed off at staying in for a bit.  Why not give it a few days and see how he goes.  He is soo beautiful by the way.  Really beautiful  :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2007, 20:43:39 PM »
I agree with Lynn and Gail  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2007, 20:34:13 PM »
Keep him in Tan - Back catproofed garden only.
Zubin goes mad and headbutts the netting and I have thought about it but NO. We live in a quiet cul-de sac and you know what happened to Zakie Pooh. There is an idiot in a metro that speeds past and a knob on a motorbike (no helmet - says it all). Don't care Zu you are staying in the garden only. Zeb has never been out.  Thai sepnds most of her time indoors as the boys are out and they chase her, but they know I love them and I cannot go through it again.

Gizz will be fine - just re-train him - get him a kitten to beat up. He has plenty of toys, just do your mad thing again and go and play with him in the sun,rain and snow. Zubin is ok but he has his moments hanging on the netting, Gizzy Goo will learn.

Rio was such a lovely lad and your tribute to him was just wonderful, very moving and straight from the heart. When will the pain stop??? why does it keep happening to us decent kind people?. Is he trying to turn us bad?

Shifty nextdoor was sat in the middle of the road and the knob on the motorbike had just been past so I went out with the biscuits and got him on the drive. (Shifty, not the knob on the bike)
Hugs xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2007, 20:30:53 PM »
Well i'd say regardless on the choice for the cats Tanni you just cant take the risk of putting yourself through this again.

What about your garden ? wasnt it cat proofed or have they managed to find ways to escape it.  Thinking about my own circumstance esp where seb is concerned (he lived outdoors the first 18 months of his life !) he definately likes his run and after being shut in the house for those months when the other one was dismantled i do believe he appreciates his run more now.  He's kinda unbearable when he's indoor only but much much happier when he's allowed to come and go to his run when he pleases, He also really likes his playstation and lies on top of it  :Luv:

I think there may be ways you and gizzy can strike a comprimise but you need peace of mind now, you cant let yourself worry all the time, and however much you've worried since ochi you are going to be 100 x worse now and making yourself ill just isnt going to make gizzy happy either.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2007, 20:09:16 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you sooo much for all your support and the wonderful surprize just delivered. It brought a smile to my face which have been nonexsistant last couple of days.  It really means so much and all your messages helps sooo much . You lot are soo wonderful and i thank you from the bottom of my heart.  :Luv: I have never cried so much in my life and not sleeping well as keep thinking Rio who be doing this and that and will any minute jump on the bed with his usual brrrrp and snuggle in.  i have been trying to block it out today but not too well. :'(

I am also very scared for Gizzy who has been going outside the front same restricted out time as Rio for just over a year so he is also used to his freedom in the day but i now know Ochi wasn't a one off 18 months ago  and the road is just to dangerous to have any cats here that are outside ones. it is quieter but the danger is a field accross the road and spirodic traffic so the cats see no cars then cars do speed down.  I can't put Gizzy at risk  so think have no chioce but to make him indoor only .  I still can't let it sink in.  I used to live in bournemouth in a busy town and all my cats never got run over but here in a country, quieter location i have lost two adorable lads which i will never get over loosing. The other choice is the same i took 18 mths ago and will lead at some point to his death or injury from the road.   The same battle i have had for 18 months to still here............ to let him have a short but fullfilled life or a long not so forfilled life. I think now i have no choice but to keep him in.

I think you would all agree Gizzy has to be indoor only now??? but as he has been going out for a year, i am worried he will not be happy esp being on his own now from used to being with another cat all his life so far. He is 2 on Friday.  How is it best to retarin him to be indoor only? Do you think he could be happy?   He not too good with toys and gets bored easily.  :(

Thanks to you all sooo much, you have given me wonderful support and i know only you can understand how devistated i am.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 20:13:58 PM by Tan »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2007, 14:38:39 PM »
I have no excuses for decding to let him out for a bits at a time only his happimess  and it has been a compremise between us for me to control his safety as much as i could but letting him have some of the freedom he loved and that made him content and a happy lad.

Oh Tan, I'm so sorry. As others have said you musnt blame yourself. See what you said 'that made him content and a happy lad' - so you see Rio wouldnt have been the cat he was if you'd denied him his freedom. Not much comfort at the moment I know, but I hope in time it will be.

Tan, I know the shock and despair your'e feeling, I've been there, lost several cats on the road years ago, and I know the sadness your'e feeling too, at the moment especially. I'm sure that my darling Suzie and your beloved Rio, joined paws as they crossed Rainbow Bridge.  :hug:

Offline Tracey

• Adult Cat
    • KatMaid
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2007, 14:21:56 PM »
Tan, i am so very sorry for your loss. The video was a lovely tribute. I dont think there is anything in this world that would take away the pain you feel, just time seems to ease it. I lost my Harry 6 months ago, and i was in bits. Things are easier for me now, and they will in time for you.  :hug:

Take care xx
KatMaid..Staffordshire cat sitter
www.katmaid.co.uk

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2007, 13:41:38 PM »
I'm in tears now but the video is a wonderful tribute to a very beautiful and loving boy. I think that in time all the videos you have of Rio will bring you a lot of comfort <huge hugs>
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2007, 13:27:02 PM »
OMG Tan - I am so so sorry xxxxxxxxx

Cant say much more - things are raw for me at the mo and this has just poured vinegar into my open wound.
The biggest  of hugs to you.xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline crazycatz

• Adult Cat
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2007, 10:08:42 AM »
tan im so sorry for your loss  :hug:
god only takes the best
the video is beautiful

Offline littleKitten_(alex)

• Senior Cat
  • Poppy the Lion
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2007, 09:38:56 AM »
Oh Tan, that is such a beautiful video. Heartbreaking, but beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I wish there was something I could do to help ease the pain, but of course I can't. But remember that you really cannot blame yourself! You were the best Mummy to Rio, and that includes listening to their needs. And Rio needed that extra bit of freedom.

My thoughts are with you all.
 :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2007, 09:11:16 AM »
Such a beautiful tribute to your little boy Tan  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2007, 08:03:12 AM »
Tan, I am so so sorry to hear this, I Can't imagine how hard it is for you at the moment. We are all here for you, and please dont blame yourself, you gave him what he needed, and he was just too special and God wanted him back. RIP little one, and big hugs to you xx
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat