Author Topic: Prefered colours  (Read 20365 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Prefered colours
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2007, 12:35:31 PM »
Your right CC, I think some peeps find it hard not to take personally though which i can understand.

I guess there is a bias towards your own pets just like we both are probably with our kids.

But i agree with you totally, no one in this forum would hate any 4 legged cat or animal i'm sure of that but we have individual preferences and i think partly the reason why we all love looking at each others photos so much is the fantastic variety we see within the same species.  Fraser i can honestly say i didnt CHOOSE but then i guess in a way i did as i could have chosen not to let him stay with me. 

It really doesnt matter if this thread was about cats, dogs, humans, cars etc we'd all have personal "favorites" and "least fond of"   I mean for me..oooooo what i'd do for an astin but hell suggest i have a robin relient and i'd happily take a box of fire lighters to it  :evillaugh:    In men i always hoped i'd meet a very dark skinned man with an irish accent and what do i have .. a pastey skinned, red headed (well he was LOL ) scots man  :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 12:36:00 PM by lynn »

ccmacey

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2007, 12:11:32 PM »
Ooo dark tortie haters. Hiss Booo :P
I've never properly met one before,

I never said I hate dark torties I just prefer other colours. I've never met one before and I'm sure if I did I would love it. After all a cat is a cat and we choose our cats so it is us that get the choice of colour. And it is us who have to live with them so why are we bothered about others liking them?

I have a black cat and not getting upset about people not choosing them.  :shy:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2007, 12:09:58 PM »
Aaww Ruth you know i think spencer is gorgeous , you should post piccys of him more often ..Oh and if ya want a REALLY drooly cat then i'll give seb your addy aswell and he can kip with you before heading off to gills  :rofl:

Gillian, I really dont think anyone was having a pick at persians but am so sorry if you felt like that.  You know my attitude towards their hair LOL..abit tongue in cheek at times but i have top admiration for the owners like yourself who keep them in tip top condition (ie the ones i didnt have to shave  :evillaugh:

I think people have given their personal preferences and some actually had the nerve to say they werent that keen on red's (how very dare they  :evillaugh: )  But hey...how boring would the world be if we all prefered the same things  :)  Me personally I prefer a longer nose but the "old style persians" as i call them have cute button noses, ahem..just aswell i go for bigger noses though considering hubby is rather well endowed in that facial area  :rofl:  (   :innocent:  but we'll not mention to him i said that  :rofl:  )

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2007, 11:26:17 AM »
Ems, your top photo has to score high in my all fave kitten pics list.  :Luv: :Luv: What a perfect pair of furry purrers you've nabbed!  :evillaugh:

But... can anyone tell me what 'calico' means?  :-: 'Diffused' is a new term on me, but I guess that means the base colour looks faded?  :innocent:

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2007, 11:24:39 AM »
I mean, would you say to a friend with children - I don't like children?

Ummmmm actually.... :evillaugh:
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2007, 11:22:53 AM »
I think you've missed my point - WHY is is acceptable to say here that you hate, don't like, have an aversion to - whatever, relating to Persians, when it doesnt happen with any other breed on here as far as I've seen? I mean, would you say to a friend with children - I don't like children? no, of course you wouldnt, well its the same thing in my eyes.

Anyway, with regard to preferred colours, which after all, is what we were talking about in the first place - I happen to love colourpointed cats - all colours, all breeds. I like the colour of my moggies too, tabby, dilute torite and ginger and white, but I didnt choose them because of their colour, I chose them because they were either cute, funny, naughty, crazy, feisty, soppy - or all of the above!

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2007, 11:15:09 AM »
Interesting thread......

Colours have never really dictated my choice of pusskins, more personality. Although for some reason, I've been less keen on a tortie ....... she says having been chosen by the most sweet little miss last week  :Luv: !!! Piccies below. She is tortie colours but then has cute gingerery stripes running through as well, which you can more clearly in the sun.

My first cat, Minnie, was black and white and the most adorable, gorgeous cat ever. My Nana bought her for me as a surprise, so I didn't get a choice of colour! She died 13 years ago now and I still miss her loads, bringing a tear to my eye now just thinking of her  :'( . I saw the most colourful rainbow at the end of last week and I think it was her way of saying she approves of my 2 new troublesome babies  :Luv: .

When Minnie died we got 2 black fluffballs, Simpkin and Teasle. They are still back with my parents. I chose Teasle and my brother and sister chose Simpkin from the litter. Teasle used to really love me, she used to lie on my pillow at night "digging" and making a nest in my hair and then  purring in my ear. When I moved out of home though, that was it, she hates me now  :P . Whenever I do get to have a cuddle though, I do like to remind her that if it wasn't for me she wouldn't be living where she does and might have gone to a mean family! Simps is all cuddley and loves strokes, cuddles and hairbrushes. As soon as she sees her hairbrush she gets all excited.

And now we're owned by Fergus and Polly as below .........

Emma x

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2007, 09:55:58 AM »
So what's the difference between grey and blue then, Desley?  I thought they were the same.  You don't hear about grey pedigree cats - they're always called blue.

Red is called red in pedigrees - but it's the same as ginger or marmalade or orange or whatever you want to call it!  Mosi is officially red and Jaffa doesn't see why Mosi gets to be red and he doesn't so he's my little red tabby  ;D

There are only actually 2 colours in cats - red and black.  everything else is caused by other genes causing a dilute version, a dispersion of colour via patterning or masking the colour with white.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2007, 09:50:06 AM »
Thanks for clearing up the red/ginger thing. I shall carry on calling Basil ginger..."red whinger" just doesn't sound the same  :rofl: and he's too daft to be called something as regal sounding as red.

I've decided on what my next cat will be like....He/she will be a long haired, dark Tortie, at least 10 years old and with an 'interesting' personality. And I'm willing to bet that within a fortnight I'd be on here saying puss was the loveliest puss in the world - just a bit misunderstood  :rofl:  :rofl:

Oh and I'm not being mean calling Basil my ginger whinger...he does whinge - constantly....where was that thread on annoying habits.......

;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2007, 08:22:10 AM »
Cor - Spenny's the business!   :wow:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2007, 07:43:18 AM »
Gill, grey and blue are actually two different colours, but when it comes to red cats, i personally call them ginger, although I think the 'pedigree' term is red. Some people also call them orange, so that one is just a personal choice.
Please spay your cat

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2007, 23:44:16 PM »
Ooo dark tortie haters. Hiss Booo :P

I have just taken in a dark tortie kitten today, it's been a long day. And she's lovely! Really cuddly and sweet, I've never properly met one before, but she's lovely, a bit crazy but lovely.... A lot of people seem to not like them (people think she's 'ugly' :( ).. But without getting into details some people are stupid and I'm a sucker for a cutie (which is any cat really lol)..
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 07:24:47 AM by Annie »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2007, 23:20:14 PM »
Noooooo he can be ginger if you like  ;D

Just like greys are blue but whats wrinf wrong with grey  :rofl: :rofl:

Seeeeeeeeeeee what my typing looks like before i try and make it right  :shify: :shify:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2007, 22:32:37 PM »
I'm sure that everyone who's contributed to this thread has done so in a 'tongue in cheek' sort of way and not intended any offence.

But, if there's anyone out there who doesn't like Ginger, Grey, Tabby or Black and White cats, I don't mind if they say so because I'll carry on loving mine anyway  :shy: so  :P  ;).

;D

By the way, should I be describing Basil as Red? I'm still calling him Ginger  :) 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 22:36:34 PM by lilycat »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2007, 22:27:38 PM »
He is one of the few cats who will drool if you rub his tummy. He is cuddly, and just a purrpot. He was a stray, only 11 months old when he found my sister's house and never left. So cute...just scrummy!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2007, 22:25:45 PM »
Oh my Spenny is lovely  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2007, 22:22:38 PM »
Think they are all gorgeous. Though B&W and Black cats I find myself drawn to most, though before Lexy claimed me there was this one love tortie and white girl in the rescue who was just gorgeous. Sadly she needed a constant companion, very affectionate cat and would not do well with other cats and wanted adults only.

I had a long haired tabby. She was gorgeous.  Hard work keeping her fur combed since she hated the brush or comb but still my little girl.

In all honesty I was never fond of red cats (sorry Jaffa, Cody, Paddy, Mosi, Biscuit, Cosmo et al - sorry can't remember all the names this moment). And then my sister was rudely adopted by a gorgeous red and white boy, who just refused to find a home other than her lap, so he stayed. Most pampered cat next to Lexy! Spenny is gorgeous. And then of course I joined the forum and got a gander at Cody.

Well my love for red boys just abounded. 

If its right its right, any colour, any hair length. They just pwetty babies  :Luv:

Oh and here is a gander at my nephew:  ;)

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2007, 22:22:10 PM »
I absolutely adore blue cats, so finding Pearl was a dream come true!  :Luv:

But I would have taken her even if she was green with pink spots as she was picked on temperament to match the Tobster...  :rofl:

I've also always admired marmalade cats and when I first went looking for a cat, that's what I wanted, but I came back from the shelter with Toby, who is black. As a result, I fell in love with black cats and I can't see why folks don't want them - a well groomed and cared for black cat is a stunning sight. I also like black and white tuxedo cats with their white bibs and spats. And I like black torties, tabbies, smokes, colourpoints...

Aaargh, they're all lovely but black and blue are my colours of choice.

As for breeds rather than non-peds, that's a lot more personal and touches raw nerves more than a lot of folks would want to admit. I will say that I'm not a fan of the extremes in terms of breeds - my breeds of choice would be BSH and Maine Coon if I were to go for a ped, both of which are pretty middle of the road.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2007, 22:02:53 PM »
I love my Tortie even though she doesnt love me too much and also was surprised how many people dont like torties.

I knew about the black cat thing cos had seen a notice in a petshop about it in London and also I think CP told me. I had the most wonderful ginger move in with me in London and had to get CP to rehome him after 9 months it took for him to stop being scared and to become a lapcat., cos of Kocka. It was a decision that I have always regretted but was told by CP that he was rehomed immediately cos they had a waiting list for ginger cats. I assumed that everyone loved ginger cats !

They said they took him to his new home and he walked straight out of the carrier and onto the mans lap and sat there purring but I still miss beautiful Gingerbread  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2007, 21:42:10 PM »

Awww poor Jaffa, give him a big cuddle from me and tell him I'm sorry and give Mosi a cuddle whilst you're at it seeing as he's red as well

Cuddles dispensed!

I've become a fan of red cats through having red cats rather than the other way around. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 21:42:42 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2007, 21:31:15 PM »
Well, there have certainly been some interesting responses. 'Tortitude' Desley... I'm gonna knick that one!  :rofl:

The reason I started this thread was that I'm forever trying to understand people's choices as some of them don't make sense to me. When we chose Tilly (or she chose us!), it never occured to me that black cats have a hard time finding new homes, but I've heard it so often since... Of course, we are going to get swept away with generalisations; it's because we are talking about a general subject.

I did have a Persian once, Henry, someone elses cast off as usual. During the course of learning to care for him, I realised that they take an extra kind of dedication and are prone to an extra horrid kind of abuse - shear neglect. It takes a special kind of person to love Persians, and when you are that person, you could have your heart broken every day listening to the stories of suffering Persians go through. It's bound to make you defensive. Gillian, I admire you. I would never willingly have a Persian again. I don't have what it takes.

I am still baffled, delighted and amused to hear people's views on this subject. No one's going to convince me Tabby isn't the best colour ever invented.... but that's what free speach is about.  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2007, 21:03:01 PM »
I am sorry you feel offended about people saying they dont like Persians Gillian - I have actually only met one, she was a 20 year old who really did look her age, bless her - although still had her tortitude!! There are lots of other breeds I dont like the look of, just dont think there are any owners on here. We all have our own likes and dislilkes, I never realised there were so many people on here not keen on torties, but I dont mean any offence by saying I dont like them, as I dont when I say I dont like Persians (although as I pointed out before, I do like one of Candices, and I do think some of yours are nice), they are just not my cup of tea.
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2007, 18:48:45 PM »
(just like Lottie saying that she's not keen on red cats or on shorthairs - Jaffa is most offended!  ;D). 

Awww poor Jaffa, give him a big cuddle from me and tell him I'm sorry and give Mosi a cuddle whilst you're at it seeing as he's red as well
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

ccmacey

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2007, 18:46:00 PM »
 And I have a soft spot for Gillian's Sam  :Luv:

Yeah me too. I think Persians are just the same as any cat but with longhair.

ccmacey

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2007, 18:44:19 PM »
Rosie is not scary at all,  :Luv:  maybe just some of the ones I have seen as they seem to sneek up on me.

I love Persians but couldnt own one because I dont think I could manage the fur, my cats hate being brushed so I tend to stay away from them. I do have 2 long haired rabbits though so its not the fur.

All I know is a cat is a cat and they to me are loved for being that.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2007, 18:43:05 PM »
I think persians are one of those love them or hate them cats, just like any other extreme cat such as orientals, sphynx etc.  That's why they tend to draw either gasps of admiration or comments that people aren't that keen on them.  I don't think anyone means to offend - just stating a personal preference (just like Lottie saying that she's not keen on red cats or on shorthairs - Jaffa is most offended!  ;D).   They are one of the most popular breeds so obviously a lot of people love them!  And I have a soft spot for Gillian's Sam  :Luv:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2007, 18:33:56 PM »
I've got to say I've never been around a Persian.

Not on purpose, just never known anyone who owned one and there weren't many long haired cats in the rescue I worked for in the US.

Just not fond of long haired animals, but that said my one foster kitten is long haired. Or fluffy as I keep telling it, with a big black spot on its tummy.

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2007, 18:29:25 PM »
My persians mean the world to me, and I find these sort of comments highly offensive and hurtful - not just in this thread, there have been several over the time I've been on this forum - I havent commented before, but felt I just had to today...

That is why I posted pictures of Rosie, I don't find her scary at all. There isn't one breed or colour of cat I don't like. Im sure no offense was meant.

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2007, 18:23:01 PM »
Gillian I kind of felt like that about torties, but I'm sure no one has meant to offend  :hug:

Personally I love persians, I'd love to own one one day, they just seem such a fun, loving breed  :Luv: (Plus I'm a HUGE fan of long haired cats  :))

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2007, 17:52:53 PM »
Sorry - I thought we were talking about COLOURS - why oh why do we always get this PERSIAN BASHING, whenever preferred this that and the other comes up?!! >:(

We are talking about colours we PREFER arent we? - NOT cats we DON'T LIKE - peeps on here have got all sorts of breeds, moggies, colours etc.  Everyone's entitled to their opinions of course, BUT, when it is well known that several peeps on here, including me, have persians - why is it deemed acceptable to make derogatory remarks about that breed? I mean - there ARE some cats that I don't particularly like the look of - BUT I would never in a million years say so and offend anyone here that has that particular breed. But just because I may not like the look of a particular breed/cat, doesnt mean that its not a wonderful cat to own, with a lovely character, temperament etc.

My persians mean the world to me, and I find these sort of comments highly offensive and hurtful - not just in this thread, there have been several over the time I've been on this forum - I havent commented before, but felt I just had to today...

MBll

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2007, 16:40:22 PM »
Most of my cats were black & white the 2 i have is 1 felix look alike & other is nearly all black.  Thou i would like another colour ill take what i get lol ,  seen an ad for silver tabby (like the 1 on TV) but it was way over the top price at £200

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2007, 16:03:50 PM »
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The onlly thing she ever used to bring in were leaves!!

Aw..! Bless her!  :Luv:

I can just imagine her trotting in the door, pleased as punch with her 'prey'.  :evillaugh:

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2007, 14:41:11 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The onlly thing she ever used to bring in were leaves!!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2007, 14:39:08 PM »
Here is my Rosie, is she really that scary?

Depends on whether you've got feathers or not....  :scared:  :rofl:

I think she's a sweety. She looks just like the cat that 'lives' in the window of our local tailors. The tailior says that Tosca has brought more trade in the door than his sewing ever did!  :evillaugh:

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2007, 14:31:47 PM »
Thankyou CC, Tilly sends you a 'kiss' (headbutt)  ;)

Rosiesmum - She is a pretty girl  :Luv:

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2007, 14:27:08 PM »
Here is my Rosie, is she really that scary?

ccmacey

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2007, 13:46:14 PM »
I love the light torties its just the dark that spook me out a bit, dont know why?

A dark tortie has been visiting me and all I can see in the garden is two eyes  :scared:

I think Tilly is stunning  :Luv:

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2007, 12:57:05 PM »
Next time I'm looking for a pusscat, I'm going to spend more time getting to know a few Torties as I may have misjudged them...any medical bills I may incur will be being sent to Sarah  ;)  ;)

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2007, 12:53:13 PM »
Next time I'm looking for a pusscat, I'm going to spend more time getting to know a few Torties as I may have misjudged them...any medical bills I may incur will be being sent to Sarah  ;)  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2007, 11:52:19 AM »
torties/calicos where there is a relatively large amount of white are very nice to look at i think, My mothers cat sophie has a large amount of white and very patchwork indeed (so she'd be described as calico i guess ) she's a very attractive cat indeed...unfortunately she's the nastiest most vicious piece of work i've come across..and no she wasnt feral etc she's just an evil moo !!!!!!!

Link to CatChat