Author Topic: Prefered colours  (Read 20366 times)

Offline Lyn-Su

• Senior Cat
  • Fearne
Re: Prefered colours
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 11:44:54 AM »
I have a soft spot for gingers, my OH loves Black and Black and whites

so we went to the cat shelter and came back with.....

a lunatic Tortie,Tabbie and White  :doh:

But we :Luv: her.

So if anyone knows of any Ginger or Black/Black & white boys aged 6 or above, who are laid back and can cope with a lunatic Tortie Diva, we'll be looking in December  :rofl:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 11:54:50 AM by Lyn-Su »

Offline Sarah (seldom_use)

• Super Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2007, 11:31:20 AM »
Just caught up with this thread and feel the need to defend the tortie corner  ;)
When I was younger we only ever had black and white cats, and when I moved out of my parents house and into my flat, I wanted cats of my own immediatly.

I was chosen by ^Tom^ and Tilly, Tom black and white, so loving, timid to begin with but loved a cuddle. He's my beautiful bridge boy  :Luv: His sister Tilly is a tortie, tortie and white actually (calico i think it's also called?)
I have never had any experience of torties before Tilly, and as soon as I saw her, I fell in love. She was just so unusual to me  :Luv: Her colours are gorgeous, she has jet black, pure white and a beautiful fawn colour  :) She has such a gorgeous nature as well, so loving, comes up to you to give you 'kisses'  :rofl: (headbutts really,) but I honestly could never imagine her having a bad streak.

So overall, because of my Tilly, my experience of torties is great. I think they are beautiful and different. The ones I have seen in rescues seem so friendly as well  :Luv:
I now also have Charlie, he's grey and white, with little bits of tabby through the grey  :) I just thought he was gorgeous and different as well, and now finally, I have little Missy. She's my black and white baby girl, she chose me and I love her to bits  :)

I don't think I really mind about colours to be honest, I never really wanted a ginger cat, but I've seen so many beautiful ones through Purrs that my opinion changed  ;D

Here's a picture of the beautiful Tilly, I don't know how anyone could think she wasn't gorgeous  :Luv:

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 11:15:46 AM »
I was actually looking for a black cat (my first cat, Elwood, was all black and a dude) when I found the catchat forum, and then Bilbo and Bagginspants. Their colour never entered my head - I knew instantly they were my new fambly members  :evillaugh:

I can honestly say I don't have a favourite colour.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

ccmacey

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2007, 11:06:26 AM »
I think its been their little faces that has drawn me to them  :) The first litter where I got my first cats were all black n white, so obviously I got 2 black n whites.

My third cat came to me and he was all black, I didn't choose him he was the last one. I'm glad he came to me because he was in need of propper care and I don't think he would be here today if he didn't.

Macey came as a tester to see how the boys would get on with another kitten, she was not meant for me at all lol. She is black n white and had the cutest little face.

I did get to choose my final kitten and had the choice of grey and white long hair, grey tabby or mackrel tabby and after some mind changing over the tabbies I went for the grey. I did at first think he wouldn't fit in because of his colour.

So I would have to say I have a soft spot for black n whites I love the Felix lookalikes.  :Luv:

Dark torties scare me a bit too.  :shify:

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2007, 10:38:59 AM »
Personally I'm not a huge fan of red cats (although Boopy is off to visit one but he's red silver and utterly gorgeous so that's ok lol)  although tortie smokes are very yummy. My absolute fave colour is solid black followed by black tabby then black smokes.

I must admit I'm not hugely keen on short haired cats as they just don't look quite right to me lol (2 of mine are short haired but they just look odd compared to Tigger and the NFCs).
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 12:29:41 PM by Team Svartalfheim's »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2007, 10:35:12 AM »
 :Luv: dont have a pref  for any particular colour but a bit scared of pure whites ones

probably because we had one and it attacked my son when he was young during the night whilst he was asleep!!!!!!!!!!

>:( >:(
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2007, 10:27:06 AM »
I'm partial to gingers but I wans't looking for that colour when I got Jaffa.  I actually wanted 2 black and white cats but wan't overly fussy.  Jaffa caught my eye although it was his personality as much as his colour so I ended up taking him home with me (along with Magpie who was black and white).  Same with Mosi - wasn't particularly looking for a red Somali but the only male left in the litter was red so that's what I got.  Generally I prefer short haired cats but Magpie had long hair and Mosi is, of course, semi long haired.  so yes I have preferences, but it doesn't take much to sway me to another colour etc.  I also prefer males to females, although I've never actually had a female cat.  If I was looking for a cat and a suitable female was available I wouldn't turn her down for that reason.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 07:40:25 AM »
I would love a grey cat but like most here would be drawn to something else.

I have a grey one that may need a new home  ;)  She can always be dropped off in July  ;)  ;)  ;)  What do ya reckon  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

I would love that but I am struggling to pay willow's "simple solution" bill as it is - she will definately not accept any other cats  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2007, 07:35:54 AM »
I would love a longhair at some point, but to make sure I can keep up with the grooming, and that it doesn't bother my asthma too much, I want to foster one first - and everytime we have had one in, I have been stopped from getting it!! We have one in at the moment, but can't take her on!! I am not keen on Persians either, although Candice has a gorgeous one. I find it funny how many people aren't keen on torties though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 07:32:29 AM »
Think it's more who you fall in love with than colour.

Couldn't agree more  :)  Obviously I think my boys are handsome and I do love their colourings but it's their little personalities that I have fallen in love with :Luv:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 07:29:45 AM »
I love black and black and white short hair cats, keeps me from having to go around defuring my clothes as most of what I wear is black :)

Don't really mind, Lirael's the blonde of the family and Smoke's white fur gets everywhere.

Friend of ours has a ragdoll and two norwegian forest cats and a moggie, all long haired! So we can normally tell what we have worn over their house as our clothes keep the fur for about 6 months no matter how much washing or sticky roll we use.

Think it's more who you fall in love with than colour.

Offline rosiesmum

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 06:39:30 AM »
In the past, I have had cats of all colours, long hair, short hair, etc. Rosie is the first Tortie I have ever had and I'm amused by what some of you say about Tortie's and 'the looks' they give you. My Sister says exactly the same and says Rosie has an evil look.

I have never noticed this - love is blind  ;D but I guess there must be some truth in it!

My favourite cat when I was younger was my tabby cat called Frisky, he was gorgeous, and a really big cat, and so loving. We also had a ginger Persian called Charisma, he was the laziest cat, I have ever come accross, well, he was either lazy or a true Master, as we had to carry him to his food bowl or he would stay in the same place for months!!! :rofl:

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 04:21:38 AM »
I don't really go looking for that colour when I get a new cat (especially as they're either from the rescure or someone's friend's friend is struggling to home them).

I have a soft spot for black and white (tuxedo style) cats, since the majority of the cats we've owned while I've been around were B&W, I don't get why people refuse to have them they're gorgeous. Quite like all blacks although never had one, but when I was little my childminder's mum had one called Dusty and I used to adore her she was the highlight of my week..

I'm not too keen on tabby's, except my own, lol.. But I think every cat I meet wins me over just by being a cutie.. lol.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 00:16:27 AM »
Gingers get my top vote, followed by greys and tabbies equal second - really couldn't choose between the two.  I'm not overly fond of long hairs but wouldn't rule one out if I was 'chosen' by a long hair.

How lucky am I - I have had:

Tiggy - a stunningly gorgeous ginger tabby

Benji - Tiggy's bro, a black and silver tabby with stunning markings

Lukey -  grey tabby

Riley -  grey and white tabby

Not forgetting cousin Smudge, a black and white bruiser of an ex tom cat who made our home his.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 00:11:29 AM »
I've only ever had a black and a grey, but colour has never been a problem for me.
edited for sloppy typing :)

I've got some gorgeous gingers looking for a home  ;)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 00:08:03 AM »
I've only ever had a black and a grey, but colour has never been a problem for me.

not too keen on Persians though, but thats just me I understand that they are the most sort after.

edited for sloppy typing :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 00:08:50 AM by hOrZa »
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 00:01:02 AM »
Oh forgot, I like all colours really.........I do lurvve my tabbies though and have to say, I'm quite partial to gingers but having being overrun with them at the moment, another colour might be preferred  :tired:  ;)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 23:59:14 PM »

I have a grey one that may need a new home  ;)  She can always be dropped off in July  ;)  ;)  ;)  What do ya reckon  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 23:44:37 PM »
Well there are torties and calicos LOL and Sasa is the latter  ;D ;D ;D

The otherside of her ia all white as is tummy  ;D

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 23:45:39 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 23:27:16 PM »
You realise of course, that I've probably destined myself to having a Tortie  :rofl:  :rofl:. Every single one I've seen at the CP shelter has given me a 'look'...I stop to see who's in the pen and get a look of "Keep moving..."

My lovely grey lady is called Imogen so not guilty on the lack of imaginative names, actually, I didn't choose her name, my OH did  :innocent:.   

Are you a pro comedian? - I LOVED THAT  :evillaugh:

Also love the name Imogen (does your OH fancy imogen stubbs?  :evillaugh: )

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 23:23:45 PM »
I love all cats but have a bit of an aversion to persians and other long haired ones  :sick:
Funny, I used to think that

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 23:20:28 PM »
You realise of course, that I've probably destined myself to having a Tortie  :rofl:  :rofl:. Every single one I've seen at the CP shelter has given me a 'look'...I stop to see who's in the pen and get a look of "Keep moving..."

My lovely grey lady is called Imogen so not guilty on the lack of imaginative names, actually, I didn't choose her name, my OH did  :innocent:.   

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 23:13:29 PM »
For some reason, I don't feel particularly drawn to Torties...all the ones I've seen have looked like they'd have someones throat out given half a chance  :scared:  :scared:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Tortie is the one colour I've never had. But I came within a hair's bredth once... an 11pm panic call from a pal manning the front desk at the local fuzz factory. Someone handed it in, taped in a fruit box, saying it was lost. I got there 20 mins later with my basket. I took a look in and this scowling, twisted Tortie face peered back and spat at me. I was so grateful when the owner turned up a few mins later....   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 23:12:15 PM »
oh yes my hair length preference is short hair aswell, i dont mind admiring the longer haired variety so long as someone else has the job of grooming  :evillaugh:  Unless its perhaps a laperm longhair which doesnt need much grooming  ;)  then i could be temped to change my mind.

Grey/blue cats are lovely but...... just please dont call them smokey or misty  :rofl: (sorry to anyone that has ) 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 23:05:43 PM »
:catluv: SLIM SHADY

I don't have a preference although not to keen on torties. I love all cats but have a bit of an aversion to persians and other long haired ones  :sick:

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 23:06:44 PM by Mark »

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 23:03:07 PM »
For some reason, I don't feel particularly drawn to Torties...all the ones I've seen have looked like they'd have someones throat out given half a chance  :scared:  :scared:

Any other colour is fine, I'd be drawn to the personality of the kitty rather than its colour. Mind you, I would like a white cat one day. Love tabbies but I think that's largely due to the lovely Mavis, bless her, being such a sweetheart.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 22:59:39 PM »
I love Freddie and he looks so like Sasa, just different coloured mask and blodges  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 22:56:16 PM »
Black, black and black again. Don't ask me why, no idea. Can't quite explain how Freddie got in though lol

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 22:51:29 PM »
I dont care what colour they are but I do love blue cats cos of Kocka but doubt that I will ever have another.

My tortie Sasa is very special as she is most beautiful but my Misaman is just adorable and I do love black and whites. Lil punk Ducha is a blue point and has a very cute face and handsome seal point Franta is a cuddlebum and like a teddy bear.........just loves em all  ;D

I am very partial to longer haired cats although the birmans leave fur everywhere all the time  :shify: :shify: :shify:

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 22:47:12 PM »
I always wanted a ginger kitten, but when I went to the rescue I ended up with Twinkle, a half bald, bandy legged, four toothed black and white!!!  Plus he was 10 years old at the time!!  I've now got Missy (dilute tortie) and Meg (all black).  My fosters come in all colours, but recently more often than not have been black!  But am picking up two ginger girls tomorrow.  Esther's kittens are beautiful and include a semi long haired tabby, a tortie, a grey and a silver tabby.

Slim Shady, Esther's grey kitten

Smudge, the silver tabby kitten

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 22:43:59 PM »
I think just as we all have preferences in human looks we are the same with animals.  I dont dislike any cat but if i had to say which my least favorite would be then i'd say tortie (although i've seen some beautiful ones).  I have for as long as i can remember wanted a red or red and white cat, i dont know why i just have (i also wanted to marry a black irish man but never found one ROFL)

Black cats were always my favorite, Ive had 2 and fraser is black and white which i probably wouldnt have gone out hunting for but nor did i reject him because he was black and white.  Since finally getting my red boy i have to confess i have realised i've even more potty about the reds than i thought i was.

As for wild cats well thats easy...theres nothing more gorgeous on this earth than a panther  :Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 22:42:19 PM »
Colour isn't what I go for, but there are certain colours I do love, some I have had and would love to own again, others I will hopefully get to own at some point - I would have another ginger, there is also blues, greys, silver tabbies, pure blacks, pure whites. I adore pure black cats, me and Molly were having wonderful snuggles on the bed earlier, and made me realise that most of the black cats I have owned have been very affectionate, and liked to help you feel better. I have met a few nasty tabbies, but still love them, yet would never choose to own a tortie cos of the nasty ones I have met!! I dont think I would choose to own another black and white, even though some of them are stunning.
But, no doubt I will keep taking the ones that just turn up, and not really pick a cat for any reason other than its age.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Prefered colours
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 22:37:48 PM »
Recently, I heard several instances of people wanting Ginger kittens. One woman, who prefers feral rescues, said she's waited for years for a kitten. I also here stories of rescues being chocka with Black cats because everyone seems to pass them by. And everyone I ever discuss this with seems to be after the perfect Silver Tabby.

I've just taken whatever walks in the door...  :evillaugh: But I confess to really likeing Tabbies if there was a choice.

I just wondered if colour really was the most important factor in people's choices? Or why those colours are prefered?

Link to CatChat