Author Topic: Will any of us go back to CC?  (Read 11830 times)

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Will any of us go back to CC?
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2006, 17:03:09 PM »
And... I'm one of those people who really did love the very simple and easy-on-the-eye CC layout. I find staring at a computer screen for much of the day (work) tires my eyes. And, although I know many people love them, too many waving emoticons, bold headlines, pictures etc. do take their toll. (Headache mainly!).

For me CC's very straightforward "one comment follows another" format made for more of a readable conversation.

But I'm only saying this because Gemini asked for feedback. It's not a comment on "Purrs" which, as I say, is a complete blessing.

I agree with all your points.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2006, 15:21:49 PM »
That's exactly the feed back we looking for Claire  :)

I hope to do a CC like theme as well as this one so peeps can choose which they prefer.
Keep ya comments coming in :thanks:

Offline Claire Hirsch

• Adult Cat
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2006, 15:12:21 PM »
I'm so grateful- just massively so- to Tan/chap for creating and sustaining this forum. As refugee homes go it simply couldn't be better. And the fact that everyone from CC is here makes it a very special place.

But of course I'd love to return to CC.

It's great that on CC the rescues and the forum could co-exist.

And... I'm one of those people who really did love the very simple and easy-on-the-eye CC layout. I find staring at a computer screen for much of the day (work) tires my eyes. And, although I know many people love them, too many waving emoticons, bold headlines, pictures etc. do take their toll. (Headache mainly!).

For me CC's very straightforward "one comment follows another" format made for more of a readable conversation.

But I'm only saying this because Gemini asked for feedback. It's not a comment on "Purrs" which, as I say, is a complete blessing.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2006, 21:56:39 PM »
Hiya Gemini Hun  :yesss:

Thank you so much for the wonderful compliments. It's really thanks you all you adorable CC cats that we are all together. There would be no purrs if not for all you or only 1 lonely member ... me :rofl:

I am sure we can sort something out for all these lovely peeps on here and devoted the CC clan (me being one of them :Luv:;D

Whatever happens there will be a place for us all whether it's Just Purrs, CC or a joint forum. Rest assured all ya lovely peeps, Purrs will be here until a solution for all is found.

and as the georgeoud lady Gemini says it's really good to hear all your likes and dislikes cause it will make it easier to find that solution.
So please continue with the feed back of both forums.

Infact i need to start a poll on the speed of this site as that is my main concern at the mo. I need to find out who finds it slowor finds it fast and what brower and isp connection they use etc.
To find the slowness prob, i need to find out why it slow for some. So if peeps would be so kind, please could ya pop over to the board instructions section and help me find out.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 22:00:04 PM by Tan »

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2006, 21:16:23 PM »
At the end of the day if Tan reverts back to CC there won't be a forum here for people to stay on. As long as there is somewhere for us weirdos and all you insomniacs to go and chat - cat or otherwise then I'm happy!!!! I'm glad there's a non cat section - although some people don't see the benefit of it as this is a 'cat' site there is more to us than our cats (although exceptionally important parts of us) and sometimes its nice to share other experiences in life - I hope that section continues
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2006, 20:16:20 PM »
So nice to hear from Gemini and relieved that the number of visitors to CC hasn't fallen.  Its still my first port of call when I switch on my computer because I'm a diary addict (ever thought of publishing them Gemini - perhaps the G and G years? Just a thought).

As I often say I'm  a dunce when it comes to techno stuff but its interesting to read the comments here on the slowness of this site compared with CC.  I've had the opposite experience.  I never used the Email facility on CC because I only browsed the forum when I had time so I'm not comparing with that side of things but I did find that (a) the CC site was often VERY slow to load and (b) the forum topics were slow to load.  On here I have no problems at all. Incidentally, CC now opens quickly as well so maybe my computer has just developed a new lease of life. 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2006, 17:18:02 PM »
How nice to hear from you, we live in hope that one day you will welcome us all back with open arms

Best wishes
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Gemini

• Adult Cat
    • Cat Chat, the Cat Rescue Resource
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2006, 17:06:59 PM »
Hi all!
This is great, really, this sort of feedback is what's needed.  Tan and Mr. Tan are total hero's doing this forum, and we have nothing but admiration for them!!   Here at CC Towers we don't know at all yet what will happen forum-wise in the future, but we will be talking to the Tan-Clan about it!!!
That's all I can say right now, it's honestly something we don't know the answer to yet.  Right at the moment we're trying to get a new improved Top Cats section up and running, that's the first priority right at the mo.

The good news is that since the forum went off-line on CC the visitor numbers to the main site and homing pages haven't dropped at all, and homings are continuing at a really good pace!  November looks like it might be another record breaking month for homings in fact... here's a nice one, one of the London rescues contacted us today - they have homed a family of 5 cats to the same household after they were spotted on their CC homing page - Mum and all 4 kittens!  (in 6 years of CC we can't recall a 5-cat homing before!!)

Anyway, whatever happens on the forum front next year, all the comments here will be sooo valuable!

Love & Purrs
from Gemini xxxxx

(I wish :shy: we'd had some :Luv: more of these emoticon-things!!!! :wow: )

"Her Tabby Gorgeousness"

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2006, 15:49:03 PM »
CC was great but I love it here too, my worry is if the worst came to the worst and CC didn't come back would Tan have the time and resources to keep this going.  Really hope so  :scared:

Speed is no issue for me, all the pages are lightening quick, as was CC. Feautures such as quote button, being able to modify posts, map, gallery, avatars etc are Tan-tastic!

:cheer: Woo Hoo My 200th post  :cheer:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2006, 12:10:55 PM »

would be great if this site and cc could both continue. I've really enjoyed both

Too be honest I just would not have the time for 2

Me either Ela ha ha. I would only have time for one forum and would def go home to CC if they came back online.  :Luv:

Offline Bobjay

• Adult Cat
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2006, 11:11:55 AM »
I will probably stay on both. I do like to see what the CC cats are doing and I have a very soft spot for dear Pickford; it's good to follow a cat through from abject stray to happy healthy and thoroughly contented puss. Many thanks to Tan for this first class forum; maintaing one is a job in itself.

Bob

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2006, 09:13:15 AM »
would be great if this site and cc could both continue. I've really enjoyed both

To be honest I just would not have the time for 2
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 11:13:15 AM by Ela »

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2006, 07:53:03 AM »
I'm on wireless broadband too and haven't had any problems with speed. I suppose it depends on your pc too. It would be great if this site and cc could both continue. I've really enjoyed both.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2006, 07:45:41 AM »
I love this site - it's doing a great job as a shelter for us homeless CC people, but I do miss CC and if it re-opens I will go back.  I loved all aspects of CC - the smilies and stuff are added extras on here and it's great fun, but I miss  Pickford and Gemini and Colonoel Beau Cat and still nip over there regularly to read the diary and see the Top Cats and who's been re-homed and stuff.  Haven't had any real problems with speed or anything - probably the biggest problem is spending too much time online!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2006, 07:29:32 AM »
Gill, it was so much quicker getting on from e-mail's on CC, I have knocked avatars and sigs off (which is a shame, cos you miss some of the feel of the messages then), but still slow - mind you, emoticons and stuff are being used a lot more now, so not too much of a surprise. Text only sounds fab, as long as we could swap if we wanted to see pics.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2006, 02:28:16 AM »
Could someone make me 1 of those cone hats with a "D" on an i'll go sit in the corner, night all.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2006, 02:02:07 AM »
I do love it here... maybe its just the timing of me arriving into the catchatty world but this board feels much more interactive... people can be more individual with the profiles and emoticons and relationships are building up really nicely, I'm enjoying it tons. Ooo and the private message function is dead useful too!
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2006, 01:57:40 AM »
If ya go to the home page and down the bottom it tells ya who's online.  ;)

Oooo not sure about the rescues i would ask them wonderful rescues on here. oooo and i would try Cat Chat's rescue links on their site too.
xx

Me off to bed in a mo.

Knackered
 :nite: hun
xx

ccmacey

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2006, 01:30:37 AM »
Hi Tan how can u tell though? do u know of any rescues that have abysinians? ive been looking on some rescue sites but dont show the cats in need of homes, dont think i could go into a rescue cos id wanna take them all home, ive got a very big heart and cant stand to see anyone neglected.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2006, 01:20:27 AM »
Ha ha 6 of us and one guest.

It is addictive ain't it!! ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2006, 01:16:20 AM »
can anyone tell me how u can see how many people are online at the monent? and where everyone is, i know its late, my eyes are going square.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2006, 23:21:11 PM »
Mine would be out window but it would have to go through too and I cant lft it hardly   ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2006, 22:31:05 PM »
My computer nearly went out of the window yesterday, good to know someone else is on at mo, thought I'd time warped. It's just a jump to the left......

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2006, 22:18:02 PM »
dont know if this is useful info to anyone important but i've never found this forum slow - - - except when noone's posting and i'm bored, trying to avoid uni work!!!!
i'm on wireless broadband.
i absolutely loath comps when they are slow though. i nearly end up chucking them out the window it annoys me so much so i sympathise to those who find it slow!!
x

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2006, 22:06:04 PM »
I would never completely desert this site as it has offered us all sooo much at such short notice but I would definitely go back to CC if it ever got back up and running.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2006, 20:32:14 PM »
I do like this little forum but there is so much to it and as Gill said CC was all about cats cats cats and sometimes when it is slow it can be a little bit irratating..

Dont get me wrong Tan you ( and Chappie) have done a truly amazing job and god knows where we all be without you ..(most likely i would be sat in front of the TV with a big bar of chocolate :) )

Just that i went to cc because it was simple and friendly and only the trolls made it nasty hopefully we have all learned a lesson about cc now and when it comes back we can be more security aware and catch them before they try and ruin things !
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2006, 12:51:45 PM »
One forum I used to use had a 'text only' option that allowed you to view the site as only test and without all the bells and whistles (very handy when viewing at work  ;) ) - sounds like that's what's needed for some peeps?

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2006, 12:51:37 PM »
I like both sites  :Luv:.  I was with CC for a few months & have been with PIOH for a week now & can see benefits of both.  I liked the ease of use within CC, but the extra features; galleries, icons etc in PIOH.  However for me it is the members that make the site what it is, in terms of friendliness, sharing experiences & quality of advice.  There are a few people who were really helpful in CC & as such I am likely to follow them to where ever they go .............

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2006, 12:31:23 PM »
Since the changeover a few days ago I have absolutely no problems at all.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2006, 12:17:48 PM »
Yes you are right Desley but because it was so quick it was seemless, so I had actually forgotten that. I am having so many problems with the time delay on posting here ,, its like CC on a bad day!

But in CC I could access any part of CC from the emails, so didnt have to click and wait for whole sections to reload, it was all instant for me and thats not the case any more.

Also because this software effectively uses tables as a base, you see so little on a page cos of all the stuff at the top and the lasrge spaces for every post title and post. Spend all day scrolling up and down to find what I want, find the whole thing very time consuming and frustrating. Read far less posts now cos just dont have the time. Also in an attempt to speed things up I have had to stop the site returning me to what I have posted and the preview doent work cos you just see what you have typed, rather than what it will look like once it has posted, so again spend a lot of time having to modify what I have posted cos it looks wrong.

OK I am a lousy typist and tend to scan stuff but that was the case in CC too but it was all just easier and quicker. The reason I joined and stayed with CC was the sites simplicity and ease of use and speed, and of course all the wonderful cat peeps. However I would never have stayed with this software, although Tan has it working and the site set up better than any other site that I have seen using this software.

I just want the old CC back. working how it used to work. The extra emotions are great but I can live without them. The really good things that would be nice to keep is the section to keep basic chatting away from Cat Chat, member map, and Links, which is an idea that I love. Not so keen on the gallery and never get time to look at it. I prefer to see the pictures as I go along in the threads but at a size that I can see rather than having to click on them. For me every click is time wasted and cos everything is working slowly for me here, it means half of what was reading and posting time on CC is now waiting time here  :'( :'( :'(

I know Tan is trying to find out why it is so slow for some of us cos Becca for example can do things in half the time it takes me and Tan, we dont know if it is settings, our puters, isps or what but there is a major difference, but in CC we had no such probs. I suspect it uis the software and isps/computers and therefore while using this software it will always be slow for us!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2006, 09:09:19 AM »
As we know CC did have new ideas and intended to update their site, I would think they will also look at this site and take the best of all the ideas and make a purrfect whole.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2006, 08:09:55 AM »
Sounds good Tan - the only thing is that we couldn't reply via e-mail on CC, it was like here where you have to click a link to do it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2006, 21:42:26 PM »
I love this new site with all the little emoticons etc but am dedicated to CC and have to say that it can be quite slooooooowwww
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2006, 20:45:51 PM »
I am very dedicated to CC cause without them, i would never of had the help for Puddin and for Rio and Giz. Also the fact that i have made lots of friends through them. They are really lovely people at CC towers, hearts of gold, dedicating so much time to cat welfare. If not for them sooo many poor cats would be so much worse off. I have  so much admiration for what they do just the same for any person who dedicates thier time to helping animals.
The forums are a bit of fun for us and the main reason for me now is to fundraise for the rescues. We have found a way to do this with a forum. Without all of you wonderful lot that could not happen.

May have a solution for all of us i think. :idea:   
 If CC decide to reopen a forum next year, we can find a way to join forum forces and have software where peeps could choose which look they want in their profile. Ie have two different themes one same as this one and one simular to the old CC. No reason why we can't have the best of both worlds and still be aprt of the same cyber home. Then the extras on here like the gallery, the links, the member map etc will still be available to all the same way here via a top button. This won't effect the main topics loading speed as hey are just text link buttons on the main page.

The peeps that just want a faster loading text site like the CC forum we know, can select that style from their profile while others that want to see avatars and graphics, can select this style. I am already looking into "replying to a post via email" for this one, so peeps who used to post via email like on CC can do again.

As peeps have said rightly so, CC's only important goal is the rehoming part and that does take up tons of time in the background for all at CC towers. They will need someone to run the forum if they reopen so they can just concentrate on just the most important part of rehoming. Nothin has been set in stone but we hope to be talking to each other in the new year sometime.

What i would like is for peeps to let us know what they like so if we join forces for a forum,we can hopefully cater for all ya likes.
So peeps let us know of ya likes and dislikes of both forums.

Offline x Beckie x (Buffy)

• Senior Cat
  • x Missy and Pickle x
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2006, 19:21:36 PM »
Thing is at the end of the day, CC is first and foremost a re-homing charity and the forum is second to that.

Its a fantastic place and im glad i have met you all but its difficult to run that as well as a charity and i understand why it was shut down. Hopefully if/when it gets up and running again it wont be a such a drain on resources.

I would never desert CC ever and if it wasnt for them then this place wouldnt exist (its fabulous Tan!!!), but its not nice to desert the charity - arent we all supporting the same thing at the end of the day?? Isnt our mission the same?

ccmacey

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 19:15:14 PM »
I got a spade if ya want one? only joking, dont mind going back to CC as long as the stuff from here will be there eg the cat gallery.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2006, 19:11:43 PM »
I hope you don't think I was having a dig; I'm secretly hoping both will stay open too!  :rofl: Unrealistic though, I'm afraid.

Offline Yvie

• Adult Cat
  • Pepper
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2006, 19:11:08 PM »
I still nip in to CC to read the Catchat cats' diary. I don't mind where anything is so long as I can relate to similar feline friendly peeps. ;)
A cat is more intelligent than people believe, and can be taught any crime.
Mark Twain.

ccmacey

« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2006, 19:08:07 PM »
Thanks Dave, oh well if ya dont ask ya dont get do ya.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2006, 19:04:52 PM »
Im being greedy now arnt i ? :scared:
Yep!  :rofl: Mind you, it shows what a good job Tan & Steve have done.  ;D

Link to CatChat