Author Topic: Handy cat care Hints and Tips - Post your own tips here :)  (Read 18872 times)

Offline OwnedbyHugo

• Kitten
    • Indoor Paws
  • Slave to: Hugo
Re: Handy cat care Hints and Tips - Post your own tips here :)
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 09:55:24 AM »
Hi all, I have an Oriental named Hugo who is 2 years old.

Living with him inspired my girlfriend Hannah and I to create an information hub online for indoor cat owners. We add new content every week and want to inspire indoor cat owners to create fun and safe environments for their cats. We also share our learning experiences with Hugo, as we are still learning more and more about meeting the needs of indoor cats. We have lots of information up already, from what to feed your indoor cat to why play is important. I hope you will find it useful, we are always open to suggestions for new ideas.

Our community group on facebook also share tips with each other on best practices and inventive ways of entertaining your indoor cats, links are all on the website.  :thanks: :Luv2:

http://www.indoorpaws.com
Owned By An Oriental, Hugo
Owner of http://www.indoorpaws.com

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 17:58:51 PM »
Instead of trying to cut the claws with huge animal nail clippers use small human ones instead

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 00:33:51 AM »
Tablets you have to give your cats appaently loose a little of their smell if you keep them in the fridge.   Might just take the edge off the smeel enough to hide them in food.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 15:14:06 PM by Tan »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Handy cat related Hints and Tips - Post your own tips here :)
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 19:25:49 PM »
Nightlights - Many people believe that cats see well in the dark, however this myth is based on outdoor cats hunting by moonlight. You can mimic this at home by placing nightlights by food, litterbox or sleeping areas. This will benefit all cats, particularly those who are geriatric, and it may also decrease intercat aggression.

I have one in the kitchen - they plug in a standard socket and have a light sensor so only come on when it's dark so you don't have to remember to turn them on. They only use 0.7watts so cost pennies a year to run. As far as I remember, it was £2.99 in Tesco  ;D (in the light bulb section)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 18:59:52 PM »
always have a pet-friendly first aid kit on hand. Mine includes bandages, sanitary pads (useful for large wounds that are bleeding) and scissors, tweezers, nail clippers, saline wash, antiseptic cream and anything else you can think of that might come in handy to keep your pet in one piece until they get to the vet. Perhaps if you have a dog, a halti or muzzle might also be useful because sometimes they bite out of fear and pain (yes, even you, their beloved owner). Pet first aid kits can be bought on line, or you can just make up your own and keep it in a handy place in a sealed plastic box. I keep mine near the pet food so I know where it is.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 17:16:36 PM »
Does your poor cat have to wear an uncomforatble Elizabethian Collar from your vet?? These can be very uncomfortable and very stressful for your cat

BiteNot collars are the worldwide leading alternative to the Elizabethan collar!!! Eating, drinking, sleeping, playing, and even sitting on laps can now be done safely and comfortably! Dogs and cats are calmer and happier -- and so are their owners.

See the thread in Healt and Behaviour guides - http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4975.0

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 11:43:33 AM »
Putting Plaque-Off in cats wet food is said to be good for oral health too ....... it is supposed to stop plaque forming so better for teeth and breath.

Max has some every day and his teeth do seem to be improving.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 20:21:15 PM »
To aid good breath, especially in indoor cats, put a small bit of Logic gell on the dry food you leave out for the day, they eat it like peanut butter and helps keep their breath.. ermm?  Minty fresh?  :rofl:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 19:16:54 PM »
Do you know how to get hold of your vet in an emergency?  Give your local vet a ring now and write the emergency/ out of hours number down and store in a place in case you need it in a hurry.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 23:31:22 PM »
Microchipping -  We cannot recommend this strongly enough.  If your cat is due to be neutered or spayed then this can be done under sedation, however most cats only have a minor discomfort as the needle is inserted inbetween their should blades.  The unique number is then traceable back to you.  Most rescues and councils now have scanners so should your pet go missing you have some chance of being reunited.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 23:26:02 PM »
The only collars (if collars are really needed) should be the safety `snap open' collars. These are relatively new products which have a plastic buckle which snaps together to close it.
The so called safe elasticated ones can be dangerous and can lead to serious injury if a leg is caught.

link removed  :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 08:37:50 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 23:21:42 PM »
Most cats don't like food which is too cold. Cold food doesn't smell as strongly as warm food (compare the smell of frozen or chilled fish to the smell of fish warmed on the stove). Serve food at room temperature or warm it slightly to mimic the temperature of fresh caught prey.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 23:09:12 PM »
Did you know alot of cats prefer their water away from their food bowl? Cats naturally hunt for food and search for water on separate occasions to satisfy either hunger or thirst. PLace water bowls in different places in the house and garden for a more natural way for your cat. Read the heading under Water  here http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4872.0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 23:13:23 PM by Tan »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 22:55:22 PM »
If your cat has problems eating, and there is no reason like teeth causing it. Try raising the dish up about 6 inches cos especially elderly cats opften find this easier.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 22:45:15 PM »
Make your cats meals more exciting and akind to natural behaviour by food foraging with dry food. This works on the principle that obtaining smaller amounts of food more frequently in a variety of locations represents a more natural way of feeding. Have a read of the food heading in this link to make feeding a fun and entertaing way to feed your cat  ;D http://www.chaptanservices.com/purrs/index.php?topic=4872.0
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 23:09:29 PM by Tan »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 22:38:06 PM »
Some everyday household  disinfectants can be extremely dangerous to cats. Disinfectants containing phenols – those that turn cloudy when mixed with water - are of particular concern because cats are unable to eliminate the toxins following ingestion. A cat may swallow the product by licking his paws after they have come into contact with it. Take exrta care and never use where ever your cat may go in the house.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 22:07:26 PM »
It is generally well-known that chocolate is dangerous for dogs.  Although it appears that cats do not find chocolate or cocoa mulch as attractive or appetising as their canine counterparts, the Veterinary Poisons Information Service reports that some cats have experienced gastrointestinal discomfort after eating chocolate. Aviod giving our choc to our cats.... much better to scoff the lot yourself  :evillaugh:

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 22:04:31 PM »
Encourage Kitty to use her scratching post with clever enticements. Feed her and play with her by the post. Rub dried catnip leaves or powder into it.  ;D

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
Handy cat care Hints and Tips - Post your own tips here :)
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 22:02:11 PM »
Here you can offer you own hints and tips on basic cat care.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 15:22:22 PM by Tan »

Link to CatChat