Author Topic: Black cat's fur turning red.  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver, Basil, Ben and the late, great Morticia and Buster
Re: Black cat's fur turning red.
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 09:54:09 AM »
Thank you for all your replies. I think that it's an age-related thing with Ben. The only reason I asked for advice was because the change in colour has been very gradual until recently when it seemed to be quite pronounced. However, as i look at the rate my hair is going grey that seems to be the way things go with age!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 08:22:48 AM »

I've also known a number of black cats who have turned more red as they have got older, but oddly it seems to be more pronounced in those with longer fur. 

Offline Loups

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 08:10:36 AM »
Hi,

Just thought I'd weigh in here.

Of the five black cats that have owned me, they've all gone rusty. The oldest cat I had, Demeter, who was about 16 or 17 (we're not sure, got her from CP and she was already about 12 when I got her) was almost completely brown by the time she passed away.

Both my girls, Bast and Shakti, will be 14 this year and they're both showing signs of browning fur and they're both completely black.

So from my personal experience, it's perfectly natural and I wouldn't worry about it. In fact I think it looks kind of nice! :)

All the best with Ben!

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 10:27:46 AM »
Thanks Lyn, That's the answer i am going with for now.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 21:47:07 PM »
I've seen quite a lot of black cats go 'rusty' as they get older.

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 19:27:20 PM »
Thank you Frances,  I will keep an eye on Ben and if there is a problem I'll take him to the vet.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 18:30:23 PM »
James is about 14, black, and has a definite ginger tinge, particularly on his chest.  Christopher is 12, also black, and shows no sign of a colour change - and he spends more time sunbathing!  They both eat the same food, wet and dry. 

While it might indicate a nutritional deficiency, it's much more likely to be down to genetics and age.  A bit like humans going grey :evillaugh:.  Provided Ben doesn't show any other signs of a problem, such as loss of weight, I wouldn't worry about it although if you remain concerned you should talk to your vet. 

Offline Lesley Frankie

• Adult Cat
Black cat's fur turning red.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 17:55:45 PM »
Hello, Ben is about 11 years old. His fur always did have a slightly red tinge in the sunlight but now he is rapidly turning a rusty red colour in large patches. I Googled it and some say that's what can happen with black cats but others say it's a lack of a particular nutrient / protein deficiency. Does anyone have any experience of this who could suggest a definitive cause. Ben prefers to eat dry food but will occasionally have a little wet food. We give him Purina One for sterilized cats . Thank you!

Link to CatChat