Author Topic: Long haired cat toilet problems  (Read 4356 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Long haired cat toilet problems
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 10:09:07 AM »
In Somerset we called them sticky buds, now I am all growed up, allegedly, it gets called Goose Grass. :naughty:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 06:40:56 AM »

Mobile groomers can be a good option,

You would be well advised to factor weigh up the "stressors"

Vet visits can be stressful.  However your cat needs to be your guide.

If your feline friend really loathes grooming, having a stranger enter onto their safe territory and attack them with grooming tools, the experience could be quite traumatic. 

We have a groomer who is brilliant at what she does, but she's a good 30 to 45 minute drive depending on traffic, and that stresses Moray out no end.  Vet is a five minute drive, and as ours do a very acceptable job.

The super grooming lady won't do home visits for the reason referred to, which is why I'd think about which you feel would work the best for Ozzy.

As for sticky weed, don't get me started.   :evillaugh:  Where I live we call them "soldier's buttons"   :evillaugh:  They're everywhere.  I tug it out wherever I find it, but the cats are better at finding it than I am.    :innocent:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 23:31:41 PM »
I used a mobile cat groomer for Misa, much better than trying to wrestle him into the carrier after several vet visits after a dental + infection. May be worth a google? Do look at reviews though. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline JellyandOzzy

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Jelly and Ozzy
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 23:10:07 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I’m going to see if my vets will do it as our nearest groomer is about 40 minutes away and Ozzy hates car rides as well as grooming. With the warmer weather he’s been enjoying the long evenings by finding a nice patch of sticky weed, having a good roll in it then trotting home to deposite seed balls all over my bed. Well some of them, the others I spend the evening brushing out (more like wrestling)only for him to do it all over again the next day  :shocked:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 23:11:58 PM by JellyandOzzy »
🐾New crazy cat lady🐾

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2019, 18:00:50 PM »
Jude purebred too, dunno where these people you keep reading are getting their 'facts'...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2019, 12:04:23 PM »

Oh bless you Liz - perfectly illustrating my point.   :doh: :evillaugh:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
As the mother of a fully pedigreed NFC let me assure you they knot :)  Star is loving the buzz cut in the heat we are having and even sporting teh Ugg boot look he has knots in his neck mane

Star won't tolerate the comb, brush glove or anything else so a quick trip to those nice vet folks keeps him really tidy about 6 months of the year, the rest its a pull knot and hope or have shovel shaped paws impaled in your body - my 17 stitches he caused marks are still visible as a reminder that the big fella likes what he likes and grooming isn't one of them
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2019, 07:11:49 AM »

Tell you what mystifies me, Paula.  I keep reading stuff which suggests NFC's have fur which takes care of itself, and doesn't matt,, so requires little attention but if that's so, I dunno how Star, Moray and Jude have bucked the trend.   :innocent:

Lyn, I get the hissy-spitty Moray if I try that, and I don't blame him.  Malt has discovered she loves being groomed with the slicker brush, but Barley still views anything like that with the utmost suspicion and fear.  :shify:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 23:42:17 PM »
I find the same Lyn, cut into the main mass, the rest can be teased out, although I do get gentle warning bites along the way. :evillaugh:

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 22:36:03 PM »
With Cleo, I used to find that just cutting into the matt was sometimes enough to allow me to tease the rest out - although she was never very tolerant of being brushed anywhere other than head and neck. Thankfully Sky is short haired as she doesn't tolerate grooming at all. I keep forgetting to get a grooming glove for her as I've lost the one I had  . . .

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 18:30:47 PM »
I know what you mean Sue, when I had Jude, full pedigree NFC, she got a matt I was unaware of under her armpit, I only realised when she rolled over and I saw a split in the skin. :-[ :-[ :-[ Straight to the cat groomer, she just lay like a baby in my arms to be shaved, until the groomer said "I don't like the look of her claws, I am going to trim them." Then she turned into a hissing, spitting fury, cat groomer gave up and went back to shaving and she was quiet as a lamb again, TBH I don't agree with clipping outdoor cats claws and taking away their main form of defence and climbing ability.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 06:40:37 AM »

We use what I call "Blue Glove" which is by JML (but you can cheaper, just as good versions on ebay).  It's good for getting off loose hair, but it isn't good enough to get to the undercoat.  Moray is also like a Norwegian Forest Cat, and has the typical "two tier" coat - a long overcoat with coarse guard hairs, and a fluffy, well insulted undercoat.  It's the undercoat that tends to matt and tatt up, and alas, when that happens, it can cause the skin to pucker and tighten painfully, which is how it can be very easy to inadvertently hurt your cat when you try to untangle or snip out the matts.  :doh:  I think its worse when you're trying to sort out the delicate trouser and underwear areas. 

OH and I used to have terrible spats when he'd insist on trying to cut out matts, and Moray would his and spit and I'd be a heartbeat behind him, hissing and spitting at my hubby.   :-:  The risk of cutting skin by accident is enormous, especially if a matt is very close to the skin at the point of formation.

In terms of the slicker brush and hooked tool we have, we use the Thunderpaws type.  They're good, but still not good enough for Moray, at least.   :-[  (A bad workman blames his tools, I hear you cry!)

With clippers, you need to choose a set that are quiet, so they don't scare the cat. 

Moray hates going in the car, and to the vet, but the two groomers at our Vet are brilliant, and we always get him back looking fabulous, and a whole lot more comfortable in himself - we can touch him without him shuddering. 

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 22:13:47 PM »
The other thing is that the cat needs to accept grooming, Emo will on sufferance, but the rake doesn't get out the soft inner floofy coat that causes the furballs, Emo is half NFC, so double coated. I think that I may have to invest in a glove that Sue recommends.

I am ashamed to say, but I have a white desk at work, I am forever swiping away black hairs from my desk as her soft furs get away from me and into the air, floating onto it. I feel like Pigpen from Charles Schultz from the Snoopy comics. :-[ :rofl:

Misa had the groomer at the same time as his dental, which required repeated visits to the vet, he got a gum infection, by the time he went to Frances, every time I went into the room, he hid under the chest of drawers. :( 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 20:12:47 PM »

I've tried a number of slicker brushes and hooked grooming tools but nothing beats a professional groom.   It's easy to hurt a cat when you groom it and then you feel like  :censored: and you have to rebuild trust.  Trust lost isn't easily regained.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 18:51:42 PM »
It was Pecute grooming set, just saw it when I was looking for something else. Reduced from £18.99 to £12.99 with Amazon Prime. Hope that helps. :) xxx

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 18:24:51 PM »
I can't remember the name of the set that I got through Amazon Smile, I don't use the ordinary Amazon any more as Smile gives money for animals. It was a green and grey detangling comb and a rake with curled ends so as not to catch skin, but I sent a set down to Frances with Misa, she may remember the make.

Offline JellyandOzzy

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 00:31:56 AM »
Thank you for all the replies, very much appreciated.
Can you recommend a pair of clippers or dematting tool, I really don’t want to take him to a groomers as he’s a scaredy cat.
I’ve had a quick look on amazon and there’s some well priced razor combs and dematting brushes with hook like teeth that supposedly cut the mat but are rounded so they don’t cut the skin but I’m so worried of catching him if he freaks out and moves  :shocked:
🐾New crazy cat lady🐾

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 12:40:20 PM »
This kind of thing always makes me glad that my cats are short-hairs!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 21:43:01 PM »
Emo isn't keen and bites, but not hard enough to break skin, but if it's still wet, I use cotton wool and water to wipe them, if it's dried on it sneaky snips with small scissors so I don't cut her, so I suppose she gets trimmed too. It doesn't seem to be as much of a  problem as she gets older, she is 8 now, maybe she has got better at washing. :sick:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »

Just as Liz has commented, we also get Moray trimmed up for the summer.  He gets dreadful matts in his coat, notwithstanding our best efforts with a brush and comb, and it really helps with hygiene in the old trouser department.   

I can just imagine how much Ozzy will hate having his trousers interfered with.   :-[

The other thing might be to consider the type of litter you're using.  Sometimes large litter strata (such as wood pellets) doesn't absorb as much material as other litter types. 

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »
A quick trim in the nether region helps - or it could be like Star my NFC who is currently sporting his shaved summer look - he looses nearly 2kg of coat as he like to sit in trees and his underside sets like concrete so he sports a shave job with ugg boots for the summer and back in full winter coat  for the winter when he hugs radiators :)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline JellyandOzzy

• Kitten
Long haired cat toilet problems
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 10:17:31 AM »
Hi everyone sorry in advance for a gross post but I’m after some advice. One of my cats is long haired and sometimes when he’s had a poo he gets ahem cling ons  :sick:
He doesn’t have an upset stomach or any problems just that some of the poo gets stuck in his fur and then he treats me to a bum scoot across my carpet  :shocked:
Does anyone else have a long haired cat that also suffers and have you managed the problem?
At the moment I’m having to bath his bum but he hates it and I end up soaking and shredded.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 10:18:33 AM by JellyandOzzy »
🐾New crazy cat lady🐾

Link to CatChat