Author Topic: Cat suddenly scared  (Read 3308 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Cat suddenly scared
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 06:36:19 AM »

Am glad to read she seems much better.   :)

Another fan of Zylkene here, too.   :)

The frustrating thing with incidents like this is that it's not always clear why our cats react a certain way to a situation, place, person or thing.  I had a sweater with some fringing on it that totally freaked out one of our cats.  The other two weren't bothered by it, but the sweater went to the charity shop.   :-[

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 19:16:27 PM »
I have also found that Zylkene works wonders, if it happens again, it may be worth considering, a lot cheaper from Amazon, I use amazon smile, it funds non animal testing, than from the vet.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 17:37:36 PM »
Thanks for your help. I got some new Feliway and plugged it in near where she sleeps and today she is fine! Maybe she just got spooked about something silly. I will just keep monitoring her. She is still pooping peeing and eating well ;)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 21:29:56 PM »

You might want to try sprinkling some Zylkene on her food if vet unable to find anything wrong.

Is she peeing?  You don't mention peeing which is very important.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 14:47:45 PM »

That must be so upsetting not to mention confusing.  Something could be spooking her so it's a question of thinking back over What, exactly, you were doing/wearing etc when you noticed this and trying to pinpoint anything different.  I'd also get her checked at the vet.  Although she's eating/weeing and pooing it's as well to eliminate all possible physical problems as once you've done that, it's more likely to be psychological.   It only needs one thing to scare a cat once and they hard wire it in their brains.  It's a survival thing.  The next step then would be to defuse the situation.   Its good that youve been able to reassure  her and she's letting you x

Offline Kate S

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Miaowser (RIP baby boy) & Rocky (RIP fella- too short a time with us. The new boss Joey
Cat suddenly scared
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 11:21:18 AM »
Last night out indoor cat became afraid and hid from us. There has not been any changes around the home or sudden noises etc. She is again like this today and looked at me with fear in her eyes when I came back home this morning and hid again. She then does settle down and wants attention as usual.
I am trying to ignore her as I was reassuring her before with Treats and her brush and don't want to reinforce this behaviour.She is eating and pooping ok and seems ok physically. Any ideas?

Link to CatChat