Author Topic: Getting jess to take liquid medication  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Getting jess to take liquid medication
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 17:32:30 PM »
M & S tuna pate, cornbeef or cream cheese are staples here for worming and getting cat to take tablets, we have an awful lot of mistrusting ferals and abused Bengals but they do like treats, tuna in spring water is also good, tuna in brine hides the really nasty taste of the horrible stuff here
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Bellechat

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Beau
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 14:12:47 PM »
I put medication drops in a bowl that I keep tilted to keep it in one place and then add 3 teaspoon of water to mix.  Then I get those cat cream treats that even my picky cat loves - Miamore or Sheba and add about a third of the liquid to each cream (depending on how strong the stuff is).  I've found that eventually the cat gets used to the taste and I use less cream, infact I do half a tube at a time now as this ensures that he'll wolf it all down each time and get the drops.  Tilting the bowl keeps the mixture in as small an area as possible so that more is licked up.  You may have to experiment with the strength of how much your girl will tolerate in the mixture.  Giving small amounts of cream is much more effective than wet food that may be left although it's expensive I'm afraid.  I buy it in bulk from Zooplus and Miamore varieties have added vitamins or EFA's.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 22:06:20 PM »
have you tried keeping the abs in the fridge? apparently keeping liquid cold reduces any bitterness
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 21:58:23 PM »
Sky has her steroids in a bit of Gourmet pate, just a small spoonful before her proper meal.

Offline no1catman

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Kitty
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 21:45:57 PM »
Cats can be quite 'cute' with sussing out if the food has been tampered with! Is there anything that she finds irresistible to eat? Mine, for example love ox-liver - slides down a treat, any medication is easily mixed in while maybe being a bit wary, she can't resist it all for long.
Good luck.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 12:59:54 PM »
I give liquid meds in a bit of tuna and purrs people have put me on to pill putty for tablets I'm sticking an antibiotic to the back of a felix treat and star is eating them fine

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
Getting jess to take liquid medication
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 20:33:58 PM »
Jess has campylobacter and needs a weeks worth of antibiotics. There liquid and we're really struggling to get her to have it, can't hold her and squirt it in as she goes mad. Tried hiding it in food but she refuses to eat anything with it in, help, she's awful trying to get worming tablets into her so not sure we'd have much luck with those either

Link to CatChat