Author Topic: Gingivitis  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Bellechat

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Beau
Re: Gingivitis
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 13:46:38 PM »
Rosella, please keep us posted re Noni, Popeye (love that name) and Elsa as would be so interested in something working for this bleddy disease.  I can testify to probiotic really helping cats's guts as mine managed to keep free from antibiotics for over a year using probiotic and thus was able to finally shed that tritrichomonas foetus bug that he must have been born with by dosing him with it every single day.  He had years of squits and illness previously before it was diagnosed and kept having antibiotics every year of his life since kittenhood because of gut problems until we found out that they actually stop the cat shedding the tritrichomonas.  Touch wood he's been squit free for several years now with the antibiotic poweder, which I never thought I'd see.  Luckily I've got a marvellous vet who approved of my not putting him through the drug therapy, which was pretty traumatic.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »
Rosella, I will be interested to hear how you get on with this. Sky's problem is more plaque but she does have gingivitis too. We are currently using chlorhexidine in her drinking water and I will see how she goes with that - it is certainly cheaper than your probiotic! However, it is certainly something for me to bear in mind if the chlorhex doesn't work  . . .

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 05:57:11 AM »

I've just ordered some of this.  Am going to try with Noni (IBD) and Popeye/Elsa for their troublesome gums.  The reviews are good and seems a lot of suggestions that probiotics can help IBD so let's see.  Blimey it's ruddy expensive tho  :-:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 06:00:07 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline Bellechat

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Beau
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 14:33:58 PM »
Petdentist Probiotics For Dogs And Cats

Hi there, sorry to hear about your poor cat, I sympathise as many years ago I had a very beloved cat with the same problem.  Although I''ve not tried it there is a product called Azodyl which has very specific probiotic strains that has had very good results for cats with renal failure and gum problems.  However it's very very expensive and hard to get in this country as needs refridgerating for transport but I found a product that has nearly the same strains in it plus many more.  It's still costly but nowhere near the price of Azodyl and if you look at the reviews people say it's helped their cats gums.  Petdentist Probiotics For Dogs And Cats on Amazon, £33.33 on Prime delivery.  I can't vouch for it myself unfortunately but was researching an alternative to Azodyl for my own cat who's got early renal failure.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 19:06:27 PM »
Fortunately he is a young and healthy cat, FIV aside, so an op wouldn't be an insurmountable problem, apart from to my wallet, but I would rather he kept his teeth for as long as possible. He has lost three already and he is only five. :(
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 13:52:06 PM »
Fingers crossed - I've been in the situation like Liz where you just have to keep on top with meds as op's aren't an option.
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:44:42 PM »
Liz, your post perfectly illustrates the fact that different circumstances require different solutions. I hope your Mr Wobble Bobble is around with you for a great deal longer  :hug:

Sky's gums looked OK when the vet saw her recently, but she does have some plaque that might need treatment next time. You can probably guess how much that prospect thrills me!  :(

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:08:22 AM »
Sorry to hear of the teeth problems last year our ferals lost a lot of teeth but are now back to biscuits, we have only one issue with Gingivitis in our darling Jester who had a stroke 2 years ago and is our Mr Wobble Bobble but loving life he now has a Depomedrin injection every 5 weeks along with Covenia and Vit B which takes all the pain away and the others keep things at bay and the Vit B keeps his food count up which keeps his weight stable and him happy

We can't do much more as even with all the will in the world a major op could kill him so we took this route which keeps him and his parents happy and I get the injections to give so no extra vets visits and as our vets are surprised he still here and loving life we went down that route x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 09:22:33 AM »
Awww, poor lad! I share the hope that you will be able to get him more comfortable before you head south at the weekend  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 05:45:16 AM »
Poor Merlin.  Always a worry, Paula.  Hoping the vet can get him sorted before you're away.  :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Gingivitis
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 22:23:38 PM »
Merlin has been sitting on my lap being fussed for a good half hour, his breath is awful, then when I started fussing down one side of his jaw he started growling. Back to the vet again for more AB's and hopefully not for another dental. :( The joys of an FIV cat. It hasn't affected his eating yet though so maybe AB's will do the trick. :crossed:

I just hope that I can get him there before we go away on Sunday.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Link to CatChat