Author Topic: Kitten going outside  (Read 7560 times)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Mouse
Re: Kitten going outside
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 14:33:57 PM »
Thanks both. Lyn, that photo is after he'd been out for the first time. I imagine he was feeling rather proud and like a big boy cat!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2018, 09:52:30 AM »
Lovely photos, thank you  :Luv2:

The second pic would be perfect for the caption competition  :briggin:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2018, 08:04:12 AM »

Oh boy - what a treat!!  :wow:  They are both beautiful.  Yes, you can see their lines and heritage in the Siamese ears, the Lynx cheeks and ears and the long slim limbs.   :Luv2:  :Luv:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 22:09:10 PM »
Thank you. I love them so much  :Luv:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 22:05:28 PM »
They most certainly are. :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2018, 21:47:29 PM »

My pleasure  :)

They are certainly both utter stunners ❤❤

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2018, 19:53:48 PM »
Rosella! How very strange, those cats are identical to mine!

Thank you.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2018, 19:37:27 PM »
and a few more ........

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2018, 19:36:46 PM »

Hopefully this will work  :)

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2018, 16:20:13 PM »
Yep, email sent to you.  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 17:46:56 PM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2018, 16:03:10 PM »
Ooh OK! I'm going to have a go at posting them first but if not, I'll definitely take you up on that. Thank you Rosella!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 17:46:08 PM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 08:06:19 AM »

Ooooo - please, lollycat!!   We'd love to see your gorgeous babies!!  ;D ;D  Aunty Rosella has often performed this service for me too, so don't be shy.   :shy:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 07:32:43 AM »

Seems such a shame to deprive Purrs members of pics of these two stunners.  Feel free to send me any pics you want to post Lollycat.  Rosellamoggy@gmailcom 😊

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2018, 06:49:02 AM »

Paula's right - ancestral genes will often appear in so called "domestic moggies"

Cats in one litter can also have different fathers because of a process called superfecundation.  It's a fascinating subject.

Moray has Lynx-like ears too, and a huge fluffy tail.  He is the spitting image of a pedigree Norwegian Forest Cat, but he's not.  Makes no odds to me.  I love him to bits, and Frieda and Ralph can be Royalty if they want to be.   :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2018, 23:28:39 PM »
Lynx ears are usually found in longhaired breeds like Maine Coons, Norwegian Forest Cats etc. so maybe some of that in his ancestors, my Barney was a moggy but everyone said he looked as if he had a oriental head. With mixed breeds and genetics it's impossible to tell. The main thing is that they are dearly beloved and in a good home now. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2018, 23:04:50 PM »
I'm unsure. She's from a farm litter..they have had hundreds of litters poor cats. She's very angular and sleek.
Ralph is supposedly half Siamese but I can't see it.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:44:28 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »

Oh I love those kinds of ears on cats.   :Luv2: And a Siamese ancestry for Frieda?  Stunning!  I bet she's true royalty.   :evillaugh:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »
Thanks Sue.
Ralph is a tabby with lynx like ears and Frieda is a tuxedo who looks Siamese!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 11:06:39 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2018, 17:34:52 PM »

I can never post piccies either.   :-[

Am so glad that Frieda is now fit and well, and a happy, healthy cat.  Long may they both thriive.   :)

What colours are they both?  I bet they have very different temperaments.  It's fascinating to see how their characters develop as they grow. 

Cat proofing is fantastic where it can be carried out, but I guess the fact is many of us don't have the resources or the property that would lend itself well to the task.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2018, 17:23:46 PM »
Hi, thanks all for your advice and input. I did think about the cat proofing the garden but we will be moving in the spring so it won't be worth doing.
Lynn.....a magpie!
Judecat, I think you're right. It's a week today since he first went out and he's totally unfazed now, he comes in very regularly and he's just been for a cuddle and gone back out. He's less bothered than Frieda now! He hasn't been out of the garden at all. I'm so much more relaxed now and so is he. He's a chilled out baby boy cat. Wish I could put some pics up but I can't figure out the size thing.  :shocked:
Sue P..it was awful. But now I have a beautiful healthy cat.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 17:31:32 PM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 19:58:06 PM »
https://protectapet.com

Could you cat proof garden with something like this? I look after someones 3 cats when they go on holiday and their garden has this fencing. Keeps them safe from the roads/dogs etc.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 11:38:30 AM »
Alfie's biggest 'gift' was a magpie :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 07:01:42 AM »

Have just amended the font so it's larger.  No probs.   :)

Am so glad your girlcat is well now, lollycat.  That must've been a very anxious time for you.   :hug: :hug:  people who say cats are "easy" in my view are those who've never taken care of one in any meaningful way  :evillaugh:

Bringing you flies.  That's sweet.   :evillaugh:  let's hope that's not just her "starter for ten."  ;)  I've had rabbits and pigeons dragged through the catflap before......   :doh:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 22:29:32 PM »
YOU ARE RIGHT SO MUCH CAN BE LEARNED ON PURRS, SO PLEASED NOW HE HAS BEEN OUT AND OBVIOUSLY NOT AS EXCITING AS HE THOUGHT LOL

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 19:09:27 PM »
It may be a case of it getting cooler and less cat friendly or maybe he can have it he just isn't so interested now. Who can fathom the minds of cats? I have been owned by them since I was 5 and I still can't work it out. That was 46 years ago.

A couple of our members have sight issues so if you could go to the font size and make it bigger it would be helpful for their input too.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 17:29:08 PM »
I can imagine having a cat that small and with balance problems would make you want her to be indoor only. Initially I had two sisters, they were from a farm and were put in a rescue, they came to me and I didn't realize they were very ill. They both had watery diarrhoea with blood in it and it was dripping constantly from them. I spent a fortune on the vets on the second day I had them and after a month of nothing helping I had to return one to the rescue as she wasn't improving and I couldn't keep her separate here as no spare room. So my girl cat was now alone but she was OK. When she got to eight months I decided to get a boy and so the trouble began 😂
I am much happier now, he's returned yesterday and today without me calling and he's not actually interested at all today in the big outdoors.
Jude cat, my girl only brings me flies, which I don'tind at all!

I will get a collar though.
This is a great place to learn from more experienced people.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:57:41 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 14:18:35 PM »
My cats all have free outside access via a chip reading cat flap, I had a real problem a while back with feeding half the neighbourhood cats, so my cats come in and out as they please, but the others can't get in. It does have its moments when someone comes in late and I wait up heart in mouth until the wanderer returns, but the cats are so much happier. I could live without the presents that are brought home as well. :'(

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 10:22:09 AM »
The decision whether let let cats out is such an individual one and also depends on the nature of the cats.

I have two - Alfie is a big, neutered, male who came to me when he was just under 1 year old. He had been used to going out and pretty much climbs the walls if he has to be kept in for any reason. He likes to go out 'untin' and is good at it too (he has had 3 squirrels in the past couple of years).He would be a match for any fox that was daft enough to have a go! His need to go out over-rides my desire to keep him safe.

My second, Sky, is a little girl who came to us after a few months in RSPCA. She used to go out but was very ill last year and has been left with some balance problems. That, added to the facts that she is very small (2.5kg fully grown) and doesn't mither to go out, is enough for me to keep her inside, although OH is far from happy with this.

Neither of mine wear collars - Alfie simply won't keep one on, Sky is so scaredy that I cannot get a collar on without a great deal of stress (which is not worth it as she doesn't go out). They are both chipped, of course.

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 23:31:59 PM »
Hi, yes, he was neutered at the beginning of August so around 2.5 months ago. He has calmed down lots actually in other ways since that was done.
I think he found it difficult seeing my older kitten going out and he was confined, I didn't let her out until she was 9 months though and he's only 7 months.  He's much calmer after he's been out, he just sleeps whereas before he'd be running the walls, biting my other cat. He's a handful but oh my god adorable, so very affectionate.
I think it will just take me time to get used to him going out, I'm a wreck every minute he's out so far. I only let him out for a maximum of an hour a day though.
I've never had kittens before, always older rescues so these two are my first.  :Luv2:
I'm so grateful for the advice.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:58:01 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 20:23:56 PM »
Yes, more to the point, how long ago? It takes time for testosterone levels to go down, sorry it's been a while since my lads were done, but I think up to 2-3 months, it may be that he is getting more cautious as the testosterone levels drop. Just a thought.

One of the boys was about 6 months or so, a stray kitten/adolescent when he was done and has never really been a problem, Merlin was 4 (approx, he was a stray too) and it took longer for him to stop being such a 'Lad' due to remembered behaviour.

I don't know if that helps at all. :hug: :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 20:15:50 PM »

Yes Gill - he's been neutered.   :)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 19:43:01 PM »
JUST ONE QUESTION, IS HE NEUTERED COS IF NOT HE WILL ROAM MORE, HE SOUNDS A RIGHT HANDFUL LOL

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 15:06:57 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh:  He sounds like a right little rip.......  :Luv:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 14:19:07 PM »
I will get them collars and discs.
Today was the first time he came in without me calling and carrying in him, he just came into the kitchen...i was so happy!
As for the outdoor cat tree, he has a big palm at the bottom of the garden that he's been climbing right to the top, then he leaps like Tarzan into an apple tree next to it.  :-:. Thanks so much for all of your replies.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:58:26 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 12:21:36 PM »

So, so understand the dilemma, but am glad he's being a bit more cautious now.    I would prefer to keep our cats as indoor only, but OH won't countenance it, and we don't have the kind of garden we can cat-proof.  I doubt I could keep the beggars in now even if we tried.   :innocent:

We have a huge field to the rear, but sadly, the estate road becomes a rat run twice a day, and it's always a major concern. 

You're bound to be anxious and worried.  You fully appreciate the dangers.  With regard to the foxes, I've heard they can take cats, though I've never met anyone who has witnessed this or had it happen.  That's not to say it couldn't but again I think much depends on the animals in question. 

Now, see, this is where I'm a hypocrite.  Collars?  None of ours wear collars.  Not because I haven't tried.  I once kept the entire manufacturers of breakaway collars afloat with my relentless purchases.  Needless to say, none of the three of them will keep them on.    >:(
This troubles me because like you, all of ours are chipped, but I have had two of my cat fatalities returned because the cats were wearing collars.  Not sure people will also think of looking for a microchip by taking the cat to the vet.

As you say - always a worry.  Always an emotive and agonising choice to make, but sometimes the cats make it for us.   :hug: :hug:

Offline lollycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 10:43:02 AM »
Thank you 💛
Our garden is very interesting, we have foxes who visit and lots of birds, bushes etc. He's actually being less brave as the days go on, he's far more cautious now when he first goes out and stays close to the house for a few minutes instead of rushing straight off. Maybe that first day he was just so desperate for new stimuli.
I'm terrified though each time he goes and I decide that each day will be his last trip outside and he'll be an indoor cat. But I can't, he's such an adventurous thing and has tons of energy. I am always here when they go out, I still only let my girl out if I'm in, she's never out if not and always in before dark.
I guess I'm just so scared of losing him but also aware that I can't provide enough stimulation for him in here. I am typing this as he plays outside now. 😑
As for the area, the back is good but the front is very busy at school times with traffic but otherwise not really. I'm hoping he stays out back like my girl though.
I'm also a but anxious about how he will be with the foxes, my girl is good, she kind of hangs out with them.

As for a collar, he's never worn one, do you think I should still try? I'm nervous as hear that can get hooked on things and not open.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 22:22:34 PM »
Sorry, must read things properly. :-[
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 15:23:52 PM »

An outdoor cat tree's an excellent idea.   ;D

I think Lollycat says both her little babies are chipped already  :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 14:58:16 PM »
Just to add to Sue's excellent advice: as well as a collar, please get him microchipped (I'm sure you have already!).

And if you can't build a wood pile, an outdoor cat tree will also make your garden more interesting for him.
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »

Oh lollycat.  Where to start abuot boy cats and outside access? 

I'm afraid mine would never be allowed out until they were 21 and in the company of a responsible adult, but that's just me!

All of our cats have indoor and outdoor access, but having lost 4 cats to the roads in a short space of time, and knowing of two neighbours cats who were killed and injured, it's a fraught topic for me.  Much depends how near you are to potential hazards, like busy main roads, rat runs, or the like.

I would suggest first of all only letting him out when you can supervise him.  Secondly, let him out when he's hungry and not been fed, so you can coax him in using food treats (assuming he's food motivated). 

If you can, get him to wear a good, well fitting safety collar - the breakaway variety, with a disc and a contact telephone number.  If he gets out of them easily, you may need to buy in a supply. 

Try playing with him in the garden, using an interactive toy, such as a wand toy, encouraging him to hunt and play with the toy.   This will need to go on for some time, so you can tire him out, but he will like as not be distracted by sounds, scents and sights to investigate, so you need to persevere.

If you can make your garden as interesting as possible, it will help.  We made a wood pile for ours, as they like to watch the mice.  They also have a pond, where they can sit and watch the frogs.

You may find you're having to encroach on neighbour's property and in their gardens trying to get your boy to come back if you can't engage him in play, or get him to come back with treats.  It can be heart-stopping and frustrating.

Kittens have no sense, especially so on roads.  The Bristol Cat Study has shown most cats who are killed on the roads are killed within the first two years of their lives.  Harsh, but true.

Your little boy sounds like he's adventurous, and inclined to explore.  I would try and keep him in when you're not around to supervise him, and also when it's getting dark in the months approaching winter.  It won't be easy as cats love to be out in the dark. 

You can get catflaps which will read microchips and allow some cats to be in/out and others to be on curfew.  We have a Sureflap dualscan flap which has this facility.  They aren't cheap, but they're worth their weight in gold when you're kitten training. 

Good luck, and I hope that both your little ones will be safe whilst exploring, and learning about their environment. 

Link to CatChat