Author Topic: Say hello to Bruce  (Read 15023 times)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
Re: Say hello to Bruce
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2018, 13:28:30 PM »
I hope you're right Mary!

Bruce has been on Zylkene which seemed to relax him a little but didn't stop the puddles. I'm now putting puppy pads everywhere!

TBH, I'm not sure who is leaving the puddles. Drum has always been very clean, but someone keeps peeing on the mat at the front door, which is near her bed (and is somewhere I've never seen Bruce go near).

Also, every night someone was peeing on one of the litter tray mats. This wasn't just missing the tray, it was actually peeing on the mat. However, I've left a light on for the last two nights and it hasn't happened again.  :Crazy:

Here's a rare picture of the boy relaxing on the sofa. (He's a very jumpy cat, gawd alone knows what he's been through.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 13:29:30 PM by jezebel »
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
OH SARA, AFTER OUR PM'S I THOUGHT I HAD BEST CATCH UP ON YOUR THREAD AS IT WOULD BE EASIER FOR YOU NOT TO EXPLAIN  AGAIN ABOUT YOUR 2 LITTLE DARLINGS.

O.M.G. I BET YOUR WORST PATIENT IS THEIR DAD, HE WILL BE SO UPSET. YOU BOTH DESERVE SOME GOOD NEWS SOON :hug: :hug:

MAYBE DRUM IS FEELING CRAP BECAUSE HE HAS REALISED THAT EVEN THOUGH HIM AND BASS WERE NOT BEST OF BUDDIES BUT HE IS NOT COMING BACK NOW YOU HAVE BROUGHT BRUCE HOME.

HER STARAINING REMINDS ME OF BONNIE, THE VET TOLD ME TO PUT EVENING PRIMROSE CAPSULES IN HER FOOD ONCE A WEEK. JUST THE CHEAP ONES AT £1 A TUB AND SNIP THE TOP OFF AND POUR ON HER FOOD. IT WORKED, THE STRAINING STOPPED.

BRUCE HAVING AN OP OR TAKING TABLETS ALL HIS LIFE IS A HARD DECISION AND I HOPE THE VET CAN HELP YOU WITH THAT DECISION IF IT COMES DOWN TO THAT.

STANLEY HAS 2 KICKERS AND HE LOVES THEM THAT MUCH THAT HE GETS THEM OUT OF HIS TOY BASKET ON HIS OWN DURING THE NIGHT. I'M PRETTY SURE I HAVE A PIC OF HIM LEANING HIS HEAD ON IT AS WELL ;) ;) :rofl: :rofl:

I ADORE THE PIC OF THE TIPS OF THEIR TAILS MEETING  :Luv2: :hug:

I AM SURE THERE ARE GOING TO BE SOME VERY GOOD TIMES AHEAD FOR ALL OF YOU.

MARY AND STANLEY XX

Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2018, 16:40:42 PM »
Yes, unfortunately, there have been a few more puddles.  :sick:
I'm hoping that when the Vidalta kicks in, he won't drink so much and this might affect how often and where he pees. He had a urine test a couple of weeks ago and was fine. The vet's surgery gave me some Zylkine capsules to try on him. I know it's still early days but I so want him to feel happy and relaxed, I'll try anything.

Found out on Thursday that Drum has a UTI! When the vet rang in the week with her test results, I assumed these included the urine test but alas, no. I suppose it would explain her low mood and lack of appetite. Anyway, the antibiotic injection she had last Saturday seems to have sorted that because she's fine now. Getting her checked again next month, to be on the safe side.

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2018, 16:18:41 PM »
So far so good ;D

Any more puddles?

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
Exclusive photo of first contact!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2018, 13:48:01 PM »
Glad Drum’s tests are clear – I did have one cat so stressed when I tried to introduce another cat that he was sick, so hopefully it was just that. Fingers crossed Bruce tolerates Vidalta. I know the operation might seem expensive, but as he is young, would it not work out cheaper in the long run? My old cat Buster used to wee on the floor when he had a UTI, would be worth getting a urine sample tested. He was also very fussy about litter trays, at one point I had 4 cats, 5 trays and still came home to a wee on the floor – clumping litter was the best for him.
Please spay your cat

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2018, 12:09:54 PM »
Got home yesterday and fed them both, went upstairs for 10 minutes and came down to a huge puddle of something on the floor.  :sick: I say "something" because when I mopped it up, it had no colour and no smell. However, it couldn't have been anything other than cat pee. (Bruce was skulking nearby.)

OH found another puddle on the kitchen floor this morning. :(

Oh dear, I thought Bruce was doing well, so I don't know what brought this on. He's not spraying, so this isn't behavioural - or is it?

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2018, 16:06:30 PM »
Really good news on both fronts. :narna dance:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2018, 14:31:34 PM »

YAY!!! That's SUCH good news.   :wow: :wow: :narna dance:

Got ma fingies crossed for Bruce, too, bless his paws. 

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2018, 14:21:45 PM »
Drum's blood tests are clear.  :wooooo:

Only her "early stage" kidney disease (which she's had for about three years now) showed up. She has to get her weight checked in a couple of weeks (she's lost a bit of weight recently) but that's all.

Bruce started on the Vidalta last night, so fingers crossed he can tolerate it and not need anything else - like a  :censored: expensive operation!

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2018, 19:56:26 PM »
GREAT THINGS ARE GOING BETTER

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2018, 17:00:15 PM »
I am so glad that Drum seems very much better - and that she and Bruce are getting on OK.  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2018, 12:34:37 PM »
What a good set of news after the wobbles and scares  ;D

Sometimes the plug ins can have various effects and not all good - I now use Lavender human ones and all seem to like it -the human thinks of her Granny's so a bonus all round and we have a smell we can all live with

I know that like all rescues there are challenges but I know several rescues on Facebook who deal with Foal farm and only good reports or they wouldn't use them and they are very well supported which I think always is a good sign
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2018, 11:04:38 AM »
And the big news is, they had breakfast together this morning. [snip] Things feel a lot better. I now just need to get Bruce sorted and for Drum to have a clean bill of health. 
Really pleased that they are getting on so well.  Fingers crossed that Drum's bloods are okay and that Bruce's hyper T starts to get under control.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »
Liz: thanks for the offer. Unfortunately Bruce's levels are extremely high (134) so vet wants to start him on a higher dose.

Misa: I've been volunteering there for years and I wasn't aware of any reputation. Like all rescues, they are limited by time and money. They do their best but not everything is perfect all the time.

Anyway, now for some good news.

Drum is back to her old self! I'm still taking her for blood tests tomorrow but she's eating well again and there's been no vomiting - and no repeat of yesterday's alarming behaviour.

Before Bruce arrived I bought a new type of Feliway plug in - Feliway Friends - which I put next to Drum's bed. On Friday I wondered if maybe it had been this and not Bruce that was affecting her mood so I switched it off. Forty-eight hours later, she's her old self, chatting to us, having tummy tickles on the sofa and even acknowledging Bruce's presence.

And the big news is, they had breakfast together this morning. I watched from upstairs and they were fine - even swapped bowls half-way through.

Things feel a lot better. I now just need to get Bruce sorted and for Drum to have a clean bill of health.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2018, 21:20:38 PM »
I hope they can offer something, and fingers crossed it's nothing serious for Drum

Seconded!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2018, 18:06:45 PM »
I hope they can offer something, and fingers crossed it's nothing serious for Drum
Please spay your cat

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2018, 18:01:29 PM »
SO SORRY SO MANY CAT PROBS, AFRAID FOAL FARM AS FAR AS I REMEMBER DIDNT HAVE A GOOD REPUTATION AND THEY SHOULD FOOT THE BILL AS THEY MUDT HAVE KNOWN

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2018, 17:30:20 PM »
On the hyper T front he is in a good place as you have the experience, but nit the best start and they should have monitored his bloods a little better hope they will share some of the cost

Hoping Drum is just off colour with the change in the weather

If you need tablets do let me know as we have 100 felimezole at 2mg up for grabs still in date up for grabs, and we are off to the vet with Maverick for blood tests on Tuesday as we think he is hyper t but he will start on 5mg if he is then move down once stable happy to offer them your way - its 3 months worth of tablets

Sending vibes for
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2018, 15:45:33 PM »

Ye Gods, Jezebel.  Not raining but pouring.  Am gutted to hear Drum isn't well.   Sending soothing vibes for her and Bruce, both

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2018, 15:21:00 PM »
Thanks Paula. No indication of anything, she's been vomiting a lot recently and was on tablets which really helped. She's back on them now.

All the vet could find today was some inflammation at the back of her mouth. She's not even constipated, so I don't know why she was straining. I'm worried about her, if blood tests show nothing, she'll have to have a scan.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2018, 14:33:27 PM »
Oh Jezebel, any indication of the problem? Sending loads of hugs and purry headbutts from my five.

Paula xxx

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2018, 13:15:32 PM »
Yep, we've told Foal about this. I said exactly that: if we'd known Bruce was sick, we might not have agreed to adopt him - at least not until he was better. They need to speak to their vet and he's on holiday until the end of the month.
Now our other cat is unwell. She frightened the life out of me this morning by straining to poo (this was while wallking around the house). Then she collapsed and started panting. She almost looked like she was in labour! I got on the phone to the emergeny vet, who was great and got me the first appointment at 9. No clue what's wrong with her - she's a lot better now but I'm taking her back on Monday for some blood tests.
I'm thinking of having my salary paid directly to the vet's, then at the end of each month they can just give me back anything that's spare!

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2018, 01:14:40 AM »
So sorry to hear that the gorguss Bruce has hyper-T.  Have you thought of asking Foal Farm if they will foot the bill for his op ( if that's what's needed), or at least contribute towards it?  Although you knew you he had a history of the condition you didn't know you were going to be hit with a big bill so soon and may not have adopted him had you known. That's what I would be telling them anyway. I know you're smitten with him (who wouldn't be  :Luv2: ) and wouldn't dream of letting him go now, but it could help to focus their minds if they think there's a chance that you might return him.   :sneaky:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 01:17:01 AM by CarolM (Wendolene) »

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2018, 00:43:19 AM »
SO SORRY BRUCE HAS HYPER T, WISH I COULD SUGGEST SOMETHING BUT MY MEMORY HAS BEEN ERASED ON THIS

SENDING BRUCE LOADS OF LOVE

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 23:14:00 PM »
I think I must have been very lucky. Nothing left in my repertoire to suggest.  Sorry Jezebel. :hug: :hug: :hug: I just went through huge amounts of food until Merlin learned that he didn't have to eat everything in sight before it was taken away, he still eats faster than the others and eats about three times what they do.

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 22:05:13 PM »
Yep, had the plug-ins going a few fday before he arrived.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 21:58:09 PM »
I am so sorry to hear about the Hyper T, I assume you are trying the plug ins and Pet Remedy spray as well. Merlin took ages to stop eating a pouch in a few bites, he has slowed down now but still bullies the other cats off of their food. :shify:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2018, 21:22:14 PM »
Sorry to hear he has hyper-t - he is very young to have it, are they sure of his age?
Our vet said exactly the same thing. Bruce is quite grey for a nine-year old but, like us, they're all different and there's no way of knowing for sure.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2018, 18:59:57 PM »
Sorry to hear he has hyper-t - he is very young to have it, are they sure of his age?
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2018, 16:11:57 PM »

Ach, no!  Understandable, and very very sad.  What a shame Foal Farm hadn't picked up on that.  Such a disappointment for you and for Bruce.   :doh: :doh:

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 15:45:49 PM »
Sadly we have lots of experience of this - Bass had it twice.

I know who the vet is, I will try and contact him - we might need to take Bruce back there as we really can't afford our own vet's prices!

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2018, 15:21:31 PM »
oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that can't really offer any advice, I wonder if foal farm would let you know which vet so you could at least talk about the last operation and why it was done that way

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2018, 15:18:14 PM »
The results are in: it's our old friend, hyperthyroidism.

He had one thyroid gland removed a few months ago, but his medical history shows he had tumours on both so I don't know why they weren't both removed (I know it's a tricky op but leaving a tumour isn't much of an option!).

Insurance won't cover this, because it's an ongoing condition. I don't know whether to be angry or sad - a bit of both, perhaps.

At least when he gets treated he'll calm down and be a lot happier.

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2018, 14:39:04 PM »
GOOD ADVICE FROM SUE AND HOPE RESULTS ARE OK

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 14:32:01 PM »
totally agree with you sue, ignoring is brilliant!  hope the blood tests come back ok

they are so conservative maybe a few treats will encourage her to eat a bit more and as for him, maybe he is just celebrating getting out of gaol!  willow was a total glutton for the first few days with us, eats like a bird now (like a bird but also the odd bird!!)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 14:20:30 PM »

Aw Jezebel.   :hug:

I think the idea of putting Drum's food next to her bed is a good one, especially if Bruce doesn't venture there.

When will you get the blood tests back?

Its really good they're basically ignoring each other, and that Bruce isn't having any issues with the tray.  Focussing on the positives will help to keep both of them on an even keel, and it's pointless worrying about the health issues until you know what they are.  (and I know - that last bit of advice has got to be the most irritating of all - none of us ever follow it, do we?!   :innocent:)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 13:35:39 PM »
Well, the news is a bit mixed really.

On the plus side, he and Drum were left alone together yesterday and they were okay. I wasn't sure what I was going to come home to but she was asleep in her bed and he was lying on the floor waiting for dinner. So far he's had no problems using the litter tray and, fingers crossed, there's no sign of any inappropriate peeing. His tummy has settled down too.

Not so good is that he eats ravenously - so fast that he bangs his teeth on the bowl - and he can easily polish two off two sachets and still want more. As he has a history of hyperthyroidism, we took him to the vet on Wednesday and are now waiting for blood results.

Although he's pretty much ignoring Drum and not approaching her, she seems very subdued and has lost weight. It's difficult making sure she has enough to eat with Bruce eating everything in sight, so I've been putting her food next to her bed - it seems to be a Bruce exclusion zone.

I know everything will be fine in a couple of weeks or months but I'm inpatient and want everyone to be relaxed and happy now! Plus I'm worried about his potential health issues and her being unhappy.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 12:24:19 PM »

Can we have a Bruce update, pliss?   ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 19:58:35 PM »
SOUNDS ALL IS GOING WELL.

LUPIN DOESNT UNDERSTAND KICKERS EITHER BUT CHIN RESTS HE DOES

AHH FELIX WAS NEEDED, WELL AT LEAST YOU KNOW NOW AND HE WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO LOOK AFTER HIM AS HE PREFERS AS SOON AS HE CAN  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat