Author Topic: increased drinking  (Read 26349 times)

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
Re: increased drinking
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2019, 14:17:40 PM »
Dawn and Rosella  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2019, 08:02:08 AM »

Hi Dawn.  I've read through this thread.  Don't know if I've missed something but did you ever get a copy of blood results that show creatinine and urea that also show normal range for comparison? 

Has Tilly been tested for diabetes?  Glad that she is being tested for T4 for hyperthyroid again but a bit confusing that she doesn't seem to be showing usual clinical sign of wanting to eat alot altho I hear that's not always the case.

What's her toileting like?   Is she being sick?

If she has both thyroid and kidney issues it's complicated.  I've read that latest thoughts are to still treat the hyperT as it is the more serious of the two conditions. Maybe trying to keep the T4 levels in upper end of normal range to help the kidneys.   Also thyroid meds are better introduced gradually to allow body to adjust to them.

It's horrible watching a loved one waste away.   Noni is also now just above half her former weight and very boney around neck and back end.   Also not as stable as she was in back legs due to muscle wastage.  She is driving me nuts to be honest and I've been driving my poor vet nuts in response.   Looking not at all well last week and playing football with a rogue ball she discovered under settee last night.  She is eating us out of house and home.

T4 for thyroid has been within normal range as have kidney results etc.  She has increasingly raised liver enzymes ALT & ALP (occurs in both hyperthyroid and IBD)

She has also had sloppy poo for years often with blood in it which points towards IBD.  IBD can often depress T4 results so one of our clever young vets Jackie suggested testing fT4 to rule out thyroid and hey presto it was raised.  She has now been retested.  T4 still in normal range but fT4 much higher. It's been a long journey to where we are now.

Currently waiting to speak to vet at Hyperthyroid Centre in Wetherby on tuesday morning to try and get her in for radioactive iodine treatment. I'm told that his initial thoughts are that she's not straightforward.  No idea if I'm doing the right thing due to managing her IBD which flares up occasionally but she's just finished another course of B12 injections and is now on B12 sprinkled on food every other day.

Sending hugs and everything crossed that the results give you some answers next week Dawn  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:24:27 AM by Rosella moggy »

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2019, 13:33:17 PM »
she did say there would be issues but said we would talk it all over when the results are back - she is so small now its very sad  :( she is almost half her weight in her prime

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2019, 13:30:40 PM »
Fingers crossed for the blood tests, my vet won’t treat hyper-t if they have kidney issues, as the increased blood flow helps the kidneys so treating the thyroid can make the kidneys worse.
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2019, 08:30:19 AM »
vet thinks she might have hyper thyroid, her weight has gone down to 3.3 they have done a full geriatric blood panel and will know more next week - she looks so frail it is ridiculous but in herself is just the same old tilly  :(

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2019, 13:34:28 PM »
lol thanks Desley, but then what do I get you for your birthday!  I'll message you

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2019, 13:07:57 PM »
No worries, just message me with your address, don’t worry about the money, call it a birthday present 😊Are there any flavours she isn’t keen on? Think Lucy has beef, chicken, tuna, salmon and turkey.
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2019, 17:47:48 PM »
Now I have seen the names I remember it was Royal Canin wet and Hills biscuits. :-[
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2019, 13:43:27 PM »
that would be amazing thank you - I'm was looking earlier and thinking how good it would be to be able to get a selection box.  send me a message with your address and I'll send you the money  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2019, 13:18:32 PM »
I can post some to you Dawn, Lucy has 3 flavours of Royal Canin, 2 flavours of Purina NF, Kattovit and Hills KD + Mobility.
Please spay your cat

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2019, 09:31:55 AM »
That's very good news Dawn!

Frances, thank you so much for that link with the End of Life scores, I have not seen it before. I have always wondered whether I let Chivvy go too soon (we were going away the next day for OH's birthday and I was put under a great deal of pressure  >:() but that has helped enormously.

The only experience I had of renal failure was with Cleo, who we took over when my SIL went abroad. Cleo was perfectly well until the Friday, a bit off colour on the Saturday (when she was still purring at the vet, as usual), bloods taken for diagnosis on Monday, but mortally ill by the Tuesday when we said our last Goodbyes. It is good to know that this is the exception rather than the norm!

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »
Yay!!  That's great to hear, Dawn   :wow:

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #86 on: October 29, 2019, 08:23:25 AM »
thanks all, I knew I could rely on you  :hug:  on my drive to work this morning I had decided to get a selection of kidney food and see what she makes of it, she was on good form this morning and ate very well

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2019, 22:48:07 PM »
My Old Dear Jo's Macavity, was on a kidney diet for years, wet and dry from the vet, he lived on for more years than she did, he was about 17 when he was PTS. :'( I can't remember the make, but they were white boxes with photo of a tabby on them.) I think James Well Beloved,  but wouldn't swear to it, i just know it was quite expensive,, she used to order it and I used to collect it.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2019, 18:11:37 PM »

Oh Dawn.  My heart goes out to you.  I have a photo of Paddy taken when he was in his prime, and he was a little stunner, but as he succumbed to hypert and kidney issues, he was like a little bag of bones.

To see Hilly not make the leap must have been so difficult for you.  Xxx

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2019, 14:25:48 PM »
Dawn loosing weight and suspected kidney issues can also be Hyper T or diabetes both mask CRF - we have had the lot so are pretty good at the signs a simple blood test could tell you all you need to know numbers for bloods etc may be worth visiting before the required appointment to try and put you mind at rest x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2019, 14:19:07 PM »
dilute torti?
I believe so, all her papers went with her when she was fostered.  My mum's friend volunteered for Shropshire Cat Rescue and my mum was persuaded to take Georgie as a short-term foster because she had experience of Persians.  Epic fail on the fostering front!  Georgie hadn't been well looked after and was a bit of a mess mentally and in her coat.  She spent the first year mostly behind the sofa but slowly progressed to become a real cuddlebum.  I was sorry not to be able to keep her but my own cat at the time had left his previous home because he didn't get on with other cats.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2019, 14:02:54 PM »
what a lovely girl, dilute torti?

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2019, 14:01:04 PM »
a pedigree so at a bit of a disadvantage
Georgie, my mum's cat, was a rescued pedigree Persian - 14 is about average for the breed so CRF or not she did okay.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2019, 13:13:07 PM »
thanks for the input both, its the best thing about purrs  :hug:  I think she just looks old now she used to be so muscular you can feel every bone now but I was upset yesterday when she was jumping on the furniture and didn't make the other side and fell, it was a jump she would have done with her eyes shut before - i'm open to trying anything as long as she is happy her last lot of bloods showed no change so there is every chance that might be the case again - she is 14 at the end of November but a pedigree so at a bit of a disadvantage

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2019, 13:06:14 PM »
In theory, they can live with kidney failure for years as long as it is being well managed, but equally, some cats don’t respond or accept things so may only have months, I’ve had both ends of the spectrum. It certainly isn’t called an emotional rollercoaster for nothing. Lucy has had early stage for 2.5 years now, she has only had a diet change, with no medication, but we can’t put her on a fully renal diet, so hers is a mixture of renal, senior and adult. Tilly might surprise you diet wise, I’ve had very few refuse to eat biscuits, and Lucy was on 50g pouches as she wouldn’t eat 100g ones, but yet will happily eat renal food! I also started with one of the RC Palatability packs, she now has 4 different brands of renal wet, including one that also has joint support in. I don’t think you can make any decisions till you know what her current bloods are like, her agility could be age rather than kidney issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2019, 12:18:59 PM »
I’ve had experience of CRF in two cats.  The first belonged to my mum, diagnosed at around 8yo and switched to Royal Canin renal sachets and biscuits (plus the odd cooked chicken treats).  She was still on this diet when she went to a long term fosterer age 12 (my mum went into a nursing home) and survived happily to the age of 14 when the CRF finally got her.

The second was Gill's cat Sasa (Sasa and Misa both "lodged" with me), diagnosed at age 19 when she showed significant weight loss.  I was uncertain whether she would accept a change of diet so got a sample pack of RC renal https://www.vetimed.co.uk/en/pet/product/royal-canin-feline-renal-palatability-pack/.  She ate these without a problem so I switched her to the sachets and biscuits (Misa also ate the biscuits on the basis that they would do him no harm and if he had lurking renal problems might do some good).  She did stop losing weight; she also stopped “howling” as much (can be a symptom of CRF).  She remained well until the day before she died in her sleep age 20.

From this experience, if any of my cats was diagnosed with CRF I would want to switch them to a renal food.  This could be a problem with James, who is also a fussy eater, in which case a phosphorus binder such as Ipakitine (powder sprinkled on "normal" food) could be an alternative.

As far as how long to persevere with an ill and/or declining cat is concerned, I found using the Quality of Life scale immensely helpful for both Sasa and Misa: https://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-health-care-euthanasia-decision-quality-of-life-scale.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »
I'm worried about tilly now.  she is still taking the medicine but is eating less and had an infection after her dental a few weeks ago which set her back a bit, she is not as agile as she was which I know can be an issue relating to kidney function I know and is looking very thin.  she still isn't in a kidney diet  and is due to go back next week for her next set of blood tests.  she was around 4kg about three weeks ago but I'm pretty sure less now, I'm going to weigh her tonight - anyway my ramblings are because I am wondering how long in reality can a cat with kidney issues go on, she has been seeing the vet for this for well over a year and is a fussy eater so I'm not sure how well she will do on a kidney diet if that is the next step, in reality I don't want her to know she is ill and after the horrible experience of keeping amber going for much longer than should have happened I don't want to do the same thing again.  help and thoughts please

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2019, 13:40:11 PM »
Glad things seem to have settled on the meds, and that her weight is stable.
Please spay your cat

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2019, 21:56:51 PM »
That's great news Dawn, thanks for the update  ;D

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2019, 21:40:58 PM »

So pleased to hear that Dawn.  Well done Tilly.  Keep it up kid  :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2019, 17:39:04 PM »

That seems really reassuring Dawn.  I'd be happy to go with that too.   :)

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2019, 15:12:41 PM »
tilly went for bloods at the beginning of the year, I chased up the results today and they say her creatinine is in the normal range, urea slightly up and weight stable so just to carry on as we are for now.  she seems fine in herself and tolerates the medicine very well so I'm happy to go with that plan

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2018, 07:54:09 AM »

Just catching up with this Dawn, and so pleased to hear the news.  Glad her weight is remaining stable.  Sending snoozles to her from me, Moray, Malt & Barley.   :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2018, 21:15:47 PM »
VERY PLEASED TO HEAR THE NEWS DAWN  :hug:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #68 on: September 20, 2018, 18:12:34 PM »
VERY GOOD NEWS, KEEP ON LITTLE LOVELY

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2018, 13:08:39 PM »
Glad she is seeming fine in herself, that is promising. We might not be able to reverse the damage, but seems like she is responding and can stay stable.
Please spay your cat

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2018, 08:27:40 AM »
thanks for asking Alison, she is still drinking more she doesn't seem to have lost any weight, on my scales at home for the last two weeks has stayed at 10lb she is fine in herself not sure what to make of it really

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2018, 21:48:17 PM »
HOW ARE THINGS GOING DAWN :hug:

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2018, 00:07:57 AM »
TTHATS A WORRY AND SOUNDS LIKE THEMEDS TO ME

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2018, 13:37:53 PM »
That’s interesting Carol – I’m sure only ALT and ALK-P are checked on standard blood tests, I know one of them the vets weren’t bothered when they changed with Buster. Shame she was dismissive of it being related to the medication.   
Please spay your cat

Online Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2018, 09:59:30 AM »
Such a worry for you Dawn!  :hug:

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2018, 08:38:00 AM »
its the alt, its gone from 237 to 553 the vet was quite dismissive of the medicine being to blame but if it hasn't changed next time I would say there is a good chance.  if it has gone up further she wants to investigate for lymphoma, she thinks it unlikely at the moment as everything else is fine but we will see

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2018, 14:37:37 PM »
thank you Carol!  I've noted that down, I'm sure the vet will think I'm a pain but  :P

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2018, 14:32:57 PM »
Gah, just lost my post.  I'll try again.

Dawn you need to know exactly what liver values are affected.  A doubling may sound dramatic but if it's just transaminases (ALT and AST or SGOT and SGPT as they used to be called) then it's unlikely to be of major concern provided other values like bilirubin are within the normal range and there are no clinical symptoms.

To put it into perspective, in humans an elevation in transaminases is described as a mild increase until it goes above 5x (or in some labs 6x) normal.  Many drugs cause clinically insignificant  increases in transaminases.  Obviously worth keep an eye on both her values and her clinical condition though.  Personally I wouldn't be too worried by the 3 months but I can understand your concern (and your vet's) after your experience with Amber, so 2 months sounds like a good compromise.

Link to CatChat