Author Topic: increased drinking  (Read 26376 times)

Offline Misa

• Hero Cat
Re: increased drinking
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 21:31:08 PM »
I AM SO SORRY DAWN

SASA WHO IS IN HER EARLY TWENTIES HAS THIS AND IS ON A RENAL DIET, FRANCES HAS ALL THE DETAILS COS MISA AND SASA ARE STILL WITH HER

I HOPE YOU CAN GET A TASTY RENAL DIET TO HELP

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 21:14:14 PM »
Poor Tilly. Hopefully you can get her a bit more stabilised with diet and supplements so you don't have to pill her.   

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 20:29:12 PM »
I'm Sorry to hear this Dawn, I know how much of a shock it is, even when you expect it. They can have years if caught early though, 16 months later Lucy's values are back in normal range, we've only changed her diet, my friends vet put her cat on supplements and he's also doing well
Please spay your cat

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 20:18:16 PM »
I'm sorry to hear this Dawn  :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 19:09:57 PM »
It's early renal failure vet is talking about managing with supplements she is phoning tomorrow to discuss

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: star, willow
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 08:25:50 AM »
she has never intentionally bitten or scratched us but she is Bengal and very highly strung when out of her comfort zone, she also has the most alarming half growl half wail sound which tends to scare people!

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 19:41:40 PM »
My vet couldn't understand at all why I wore gloves the first time he went, he was loving, butter wouldn't melt Lupin, even when he was feeling better the following day after his drip, all the nurses were totally in lurve with him despite the "I Bite" label on the carrier.

The vet found out the second time when he went for his check up and jab. She said she had never seen a cat make such a fuss, and I had warned her not to take his temp. ;) (I needed the gloves, he nearly went through the leather as I held him), not surprised Gareth is terrified of him. :rofl:

Saying that, naughty and strong willed as he is I am No 2 in his fan club. :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2018, 18:50:03 PM »
AGREE WITH KAY AS MY VET IS THE SAME AND HE IS TERRIFIED OF LUPIN!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2018, 09:48:10 AM »
secret I think is to find a sympathetic vet - mine totally accepts that Tosker and Tiffany cannot be pilled, and Tiffany cannot be handled much - so any treatments she recommends are designed to work around that, even to the extent of not treating at all

so much better all round than a vet who thinks finding the right pill to administer is all that is required
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2018, 08:21:22 AM »
yes rosella, that is my concern pilling isn't an option with her so we shall see

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 06:40:51 AM »

Let us know how she gets on Dawn.  Very much hope it's simply the heat.  Horrid (and expensive) having to sedate for blood tests.  Means any treatment will be very tricky I imagine.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 14:27:45 PM »
that's what I'll have to do, they'll get nothing without sedation which is one of the reasons I've held back doing it but you are all right, there is no harm, they can trim her nails at the same time!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 14:26:12 PM »
SUSPECT ITS THE HEAT, HOPE SO

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 14:25:27 PM »
I had the same with Tiffany, who is 16 now - drinking and weeing for Wales she was, and I was convinced it was diabetes,  CKD or HT - but a blood test showed all her levels were within normal range - even her teeth were in good nick

but it's a win win having these blood tests done because either you can start treatment for anything that is not right, or save yourself a lot of worry

she had to be sedated though - I did warn the vet in advance, and she reluctantly took my word for it and admitted her for the day - she did agree though,  when I collected her,  that the minute she opened the carrier she realised why I had asked for sedation :evillaugh:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 14:04:15 PM »
getting on for 13 Desley, I'll make an appointment I think, the vet hates to see her more than she hate to see the vet!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 13:27:41 PM »
How old is she now? 9? If so, I would get a blood test done to be on the safe side, it may just be the weather though
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 10:47:33 AM »
I would have a quick trip to the vet and get a full blood panel done checking for the usual ones diabetes - sugar curve and Hyper T just to be on the safe side and then should anything be iffy then you have a blood panel starting point should it continue

I am currently spending nearly an hour a day on water bowls, fountains and the dogs indoor and outdoor water bowls as the Clan are doing a lot of drinking
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline dawnf

• Distinguished Cat
increased drinking
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »
I'm posting under my alter ego as I'm still having problems with my old log in

I've noticed over the past weeks tilly at the drinking fountain more than usual its worth saying I live in the south east of the country and so we have had a prolonged period of hot dry weather - have others noticed it or should I book a vet visit

Link to CatChat