Author Topic: Any ideas (ahead of testing)?  (Read 9882 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Any ideas (ahead of testing)?
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
he sound like a great little character, of course you never forget but it becomes easier to smile when you remember  :hug:

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
Thank you everyone. Still missing him and feeling a bit tearful here, but at the same time the good memories are coming back to me - he really was a little character. 

If he'd had more time, I think the new vet would have helped him more than my old one, so I'm going to get my girl checked over by the new vets in the next week or so - I don't know what she's got in front of her, but I want to make sure the best help and support are there if needed.

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 07:29:03 AM »
So sorry for your loss xx

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2017, 07:18:26 AM »
Rosella's right.  If I had my time with Paddy over again, I'd have taken him to the vet some 5months earlier.  In doing so, I could have made his passing much easier than I did, and for that I will always hold regret.  We do live and learn. 

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 06:59:37 AM »
I am so very sorry for your loss  :'( :hug:

It's always so very difficult to know for sure when the time has come as our own feelings can sometimes cloud our judgement.  This sounds very much like you didn't allow that to happen and your gorgeous Toby lad was able to go with as little discomfort as possible.  Our Fred succumbed to this condition and I allowed OH to sway me into putting him on a drip for a few hours whilst I convinced OH it was time.  I sometimes wish I had been stronger but we all live and learn.

Sleep tight Toby darling angel boy :'(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 05:42:45 AM »
Another sparkling ribbon added to the Rainbow.  Bless you Toby.  And Lotzy - you are the best.    :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2017, 21:46:00 PM »
So sorry to hear about your loss. :care: :care: :care:

Play hard on The Bridge Toby.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2017, 21:44:22 PM »
Aww, I hope you can find some consolation in getting the timing right, RIP little one
Please spay your cat

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2017, 21:30:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for your support. It wasn't easy on Friday, but just as we were about to take Toby to the vet, he seemed to go downhill, if I hadn't had the appointment at 11am then I think he'd have had a bit of a rough time until the vet could have seen him, so I'm hanging on the fact that he lived the life he had right down to the last hour (ie I didn't take him too soon).  Looking back he was a really character, he'd go off for B&B at our old neighbours, would sense when I was about to go to work and follow me, tell us he was off to bed, loved our company in the garden, would only ask for love in the garden or middle of the night by tapping my nose or licking in my ear, he even bought someone's sandwiches and a plant pot.

He has left his little sister. When I've got the energy and I know she's okay after her loss, I'm going to get her checked out by the new vet.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 12:31:05 PM »
My thoughts are with you at this time x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 09:12:42 AM »
:hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 09:11:02 AM »
With you in spirit, treasure

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 08:44:26 AM »
Thank you everyone.  Toby perked up a bit in the night, but I don't think he's happy now.  I've made an appointment for my little man at 11am.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 05:47:56 AM »
Morning treasure.  Sending you both a gentle hug to start the day x

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 21:50:41 PM »
Been through the same with my cat last month, its so sad but you know your own cat and how they are.  I wasn't brave enough to make the decision and left Tabby overnight at the vet on a drip, but she made her own decision and went to forever sleep overnight :'( All they time they are eating and drinking and have quality of life let them enjoy the last few days/months they have with you  :Luv: :Luv:

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 21:16:53 PM »
Thinking of you xxx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 20:26:36 PM »
Lotzy4.  You are so lovely - very aware, and very compassionate.  My thoughts are very much with you tonight xxxxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2017, 20:15:57 PM »
sounds like he has a terrific owner who is able to put his needs before your own  :hug:
Please spay your cat

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2017, 19:44:52 PM »
I haven't completed the bucket list of taking Toby out the front as it didn't feel fair.  He's chosen to sit on the arm of my chair for the first time in a few nights, so I'm happy with that for me and him.  It may be I'm ready to let him go, but I feel like he's just existing today, eating if I put it in front of him and only drinking in the bath (although he has climbed or stumbled in a few times himself) - he's always done this, but since CKD I've put extra water stations around and he's stopped using these. I've sat with him, but I'm I don't think I've got he usual appreciation back.  My husband is back at 10pm to talk to, but personally I don't intend to drag this out unless he's perky in the morning. I'd rather let him go now, than when he's really desperate and won't eat or go outside - eating and outdoors have always been a major thing for him.

It is desperately sad, but you know when it is time to let go. I really feel for you all. One of the hardest decisions you ever have to make. :care: :care: :care:

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2017, 19:29:28 PM »
I haven't completed the bucket list of taking Toby out the front as it didn't feel fair.  He's chosen to sit on the arm of my chair for the first time in a few nights, so I'm happy with that for me and him.  It may be I'm ready to let him go, but I feel like he's just existing today, eating if I put it in front of him and only drinking in the bath (although he has climbed or stumbled in a few times himself) - he's always done this, but since CKD I've put extra water stations around and he's stopped using these. I've sat with him, but I'm I don't think I've got he usual appreciation back.  My husband is back at 10pm to talk to, but personally I don't intend to drag this out unless he's perky in the morning. I'd rather let him go now, than when he's really desperate and won't eat or go outside - eating and outdoors have always been a major thing for him.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 14:21:39 PM »
Yes, building up as many more happy memories as possible is entirely sensible, certainly not 'sad'!  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 13:39:48 PM »
I don't think your mini bucket list sounds sad at all - the 'bonus' to us having this kind of diagnosis is it means you can make sure you have these kind of memories
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 10:48:44 AM »
I think that is lovely, with Oscar (a huge glutton!!) we decided when he didn't enjoy his food that was his time, it means we look back on his passing with sadness but no regrets  :hug:

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
I'll pass your morning snoozles to Toby. He woke me up for a couple of small meals in the night and has eaten another one this morning, been out to do his business (he will not go in the house) and he's having a sleep on the stairs at the moment, I think waiting for the sun to shine through the window there. Sounds sad, but I have a mini bucket list for him - he's done two of them, one last sleep on our bed (he won't try to get on there now, so I put him on) and a sleep outside on my lap in the sun (it's the only time he sleeps on my lap). It would be lovely if he went out the front one last time as he likes being noisy out there, I might carry him out there for a little look if he's comfortable enough.

He can still do the stairs, but I sense he's getting a little more wobbly - he stumbles in the bath where he's always loved to drink, so I'm going to lift him in there if I realise. He's alert and eating, but I think this could be the deciding factor.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 05:47:08 AM »
Popping by with gentle early morning snoozles for Toby  :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2017, 21:18:36 PM »
I am so sorry to hear the results of the tests  :( and am completely in accord with your decision to make your boy as comfortable and happy as possible at home  :hug:

My Chivvy used to hate the whole basket/car/vet thing (he was hit by a car when he was 2, lost a leg and broke his jaw in 2 places, so vets always meant bad things to him), I promised I would not put him through a lot of treatment. We were lucky that he lived to 19 and his last illness was short.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2017, 17:26:54 PM »
I definitely believe that the owners know best in cases like this, I hope he has a bit more sun on his back yet  :hug:

I am with Sue and Dawn on this one. You know him best. :care: :care: :care:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 15:07:16 PM »
Me too, Dawn.  Spending his final days at his ease and in the company and security of his family is the best thing for him.   :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 15:00:54 PM »
I definitely believe that the owners know best in cases like this, I hope he has a bit more sun on his back yet  :hug:

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 14:58:06 PM »
Today he's alert and eaten okay all things considered, one pouch, some chicken and two webbox treats which he's enjoyed. I've been outside briefly with him (he loves company outside) and he's had a little sun on his back. However, I do sense he's getting a bit more shaky but I've decided no more vets until his time comes. I'd rather have to let him go a bit sooner and know he's had time to relax in his home rather than the stress of the vet.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 05:45:35 AM »
I agree about giving him whatever he wants to eat

Me too.   :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 21:30:56 PM »
I agree about giving him whatever he wants to eat
Please spay your cat

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 21:26:24 PM »
Thanks everyone. He's had a good life healthwise - up until CKD he's only been to the vet once for an infected wound (other than boosters). He's fussy about food now, so he's going to get whatever he likes good or bad, despite his bad attitute, swearing and fighting with the vet!  Will think about Sementra overnight, if he's going to have anything it'll be tomorrow.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 19:43:42 PM »
Aww, I'm sorry to hear his kidney function has deteriorated so quickly, it can cause muscle weakness. I would ask your vet if Sementra (sp?) would be appropriate - it's a liquid ACE inhibitor that is also used for CKD, and a lot easier to administer
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 17:48:21 PM »
Enjoy the time you have left, however long or short it is.   Take photos, have snuggles, enjoy the moments.  You've got Toby to 17, you've shared your life, your home and your heart with him.  Treasure the gifts.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 17:13:27 PM »
That was my criteria for Trouble, as long as he was enjoying his life, when he stopped playing and taking an interest, I made the sad decision. I did ask the vet as well, she said "I think he is tired now and has had enough" That concurred with how I felt. :'( :'( :'(

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 16:42:02 PM »
The vet has just phoned. They've been worried about Toby all day and ran their own blood tests before sending them away. Unfortunately, there isn't much they can do for him as his kidney disease is advancing very quickly.  March creatitine was 229 and urea 18, today creatitine is 533 and urea 46. His blood pressure is also up. The vet is going to give him an anabolic steriod and B12 which may perk him up. He can have an ACE inhibitor in tablet form and I know he's going to fight me all the way and I won't be able to administer them - the vet agrees with me from what they've seen today as they've had to sedate him to run tests. He can have a daily injection for nausea, which I'm thinking about, comfort verses the stress of vets visits, most of the time in a taxi as DH away a lot with cat at the moment. I think the vet was willing to PTS today, but while he's still eating, wanting fuss, going out, I'm bringing him home.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 11:27:31 AM »
Pleased the inflammation in is gum has subsided.  Our Paddy used to get that a lot too.  Our vet had an ability to flick large pieces of calculus from his teeth with his thumb and forefinger, which avoided the need for intrusive dental work on most occasions (as he had a heart murmur any sort of anaesthetic was always a worry).

Fingers crossed for later.   :hug:

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 11:06:50 AM »
Thanks for your replies. He's already with the vet, but I will check about diabetes either that it's been tested for or ruled out.

I will have to wait until tomorrow for results as the bloods that check for T4 are normally done out of house and both the booking in vet and the one Toby saw on Friday, would have hyperthyroidism at the front of their minds, even though he's been tested twice since losing weight. I'm happy for a T4 as well as that was my concern last year, so once and for all it will be confirmed/eliminated.

I know his teeth are probably still uncomfortable, but one of his gums was red raw and it looks better, so I guess the ABs have helped a bit there.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »
I would ask for a sugar curve or diabetes as Hyper T and Diabetes can throw some of the same symptoms weight loss and lots of water drinking = we have had 4 of each so know what to look for at the start and then have a bet with the vet as to what they have.  Good thoughts coming from all of us at the Clan x
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Link to CatChat