Author Topic: Any ideas (ahead of testing)?  (Read 9854 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Any ideas (ahead of testing)?
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 07:46:24 AM »
Sending positive thoughts for today's tests for Toby.   :hug: :hug: :hug:

And me. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 06:40:51 AM »
Sending positive thoughts for today's tests for Toby.   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 02:40:36 AM »
DO HOPE TESTS DHOW SOMETHG CLEARLT COS T 4 OR CRD WOULD GAVE BEEN THE OBVIOUS ONRSND WIDHING TOU THE VERT BTST TONORROW  :hug: :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 22:29:47 PM »
I assume diabetes will also be part of tests as it's such a simple one.  Fingers crossed that Toby can be made comfortable  :hug: :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 22:16:21 PM »
I don't think that there is anything you can do to preempt the tests tomorrow which seem pretty exhaustive. Hoping that he can spend many more happy years with you. :hug: :hug: :hug:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Lotzy4

• Kitten
Any ideas (ahead of testing)?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 17:04:26 PM »
Toby is 17 and has been losing weight over the last couple of years, which initially we put down to the stress of moving house, he's gone from 6.8kg to 3.9kg. Bloods and T4 done at the vets Aug 16 which showed nothing. I asked for T4 to be done again (Nov 16) as his sister has hyperthyroidism, results came back higher end of normal which the vet doesn't treat. Last month he'd started drinking more and this time bloods picked up early kidney disease. About 10 days ago it sounded different when he eat. Took him to the vet who said his teeth were in a bad condition at the back, but she couldn't operate due to CKD and losing weight fast (Mar 4.25kg, now 3.9kg). I asked at this point if anything could be done to keep him more comfortable re: CKD or help if his teeth were painful and was told no. I accept the diagnosis but I couldn't believe there was nothing I could do to help him keep him a bit more comfortable in his final weeks/months, so decided to seek a second opinion.

The new vet gave us both plenty of time and talked over options, I asked for both of them.

1. She's given him treatment for appetite and nausea which has helped and ABs just in case there's an infection under his teeth.

2. He's booked in tomorrow for full bloods, T4. urine analysis and blood pressure to see if this helps her get the full picture.

The vet acknowledges he has CKD, but she felt the cat in front of her had something else going on. She thought his back leg didn't look right and since then I've seen him stumble on it. Today there's obviously not something right with his front leg and when he just got up, he was holding it out to me. He'll let me touch it and I can't see anything wrong as he climbs the stairs. He's quite bright in himself today otherwise.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what could be going on ahead or testing and results.

Link to CatChat