Author Topic: Dipping a toe in the water..  (Read 21912 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Dipping a toe in the water..
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2016, 08:07:01 AM »
I think re the vet they probably just have an account with them and rather than offering insurance for you in the first few weeks to cover things they ask you to see the vet - by the by Sheila did deliver one of her cats to a work colleague of mine in aylesbury

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2016, 18:56:04 PM »
That makes sense.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2016, 18:36:34 PM »
No.  I think the remark was fine.  Virtually all rescues recognise things can and do crop up after rehoming, and good ones will factor this in.  It's not something I'd fret over to be honest.    And whilst in a perfect world, home checks would be done each and every time, we don't live in a perfect world.  Cats still need homes, and the expression "gift horse" and all that?  There are all too many "free to good home" cats irresponsible or spur of the moment homers can access, that those who approach rescues tend to be a tiny bit more trustworthy, if you get my drift.  Not foolproof, no, but sure you can see my point.   :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2016, 18:03:12 PM »
That is a bit odd, maybe they just want to assess the condition of the cat if it gets ill to make sure it has been cared for correctly in the absence of a home check????????????????????

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2016, 16:33:49 PM »
Also, bit of an odd comment from RSPCA that I just remembered, she asked if it would be an issue if we took one of their cats to go to a vet in MK if it got poorly in the first few weeks, as they have their own vet there that they use? Is that standard? Just seemed a bit strange as it was almost implied that the cat might get poorly after coming home?

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 16:25:52 PM »
I got the impression it was workload related from both to be honest, both look like they are advertising for home checkers, so maybe they just can't get all of them done and if you sound like a relatively normal person (haha!) than they aren't so worried?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 16:05:56 PM »
blue cross used to home check - my house was never so clean!!  I think lots of people are only concerned about roads anyway so google earth places

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 16:02:45 PM »
Wow well I must be doing well, spoke to both Blue Cross Lewknor and RSPCA MK today and both said no home check was needed! BX said I just needed to take ID and photos of our house etc if we go to visit any cats, and RSPCA just said I sounded fine as we had had a cat before! Part of me is happy we are good to go with them, but the other is a tad perturbed by the lack of checks.....!

Either way, we are another step closer :)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2016, 11:38:35 AM »
Ooh ok I didn't know that, well we will definitely contact them too then just in case!

Small world Dawn, I'm the other side of Aylesbury now, but I grew up around Missenden and went to the C of E school! :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 09:41:26 AM »
That's true - rescues don't always have time to post all of their occupants online.  The rescue we go to very often has far more cats and kittens available than there are advertised on their site, so definitely worth popping in.   :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
the site isn't always a good reflection of who they have in, my Oscar and Algie came from there, its a lovely place - I'm near great missenden

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 09:18:48 AM »
Thanks Sue, us too!  :Luv:

Hi Dawn, yes they are on our list - my sister got her dog from there a few years ago! We hadn't seen any cats on their site who seemed a match for us, but we will get in contact just incase :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 08:43:31 AM »
oh Helen I'm in Bucks, I used to volunteer at the blue cross in lewknor, have you tried them?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 08:23:41 AM »
Counting down the days until you tell us you've bonded with a cat, and have a date to bring them home.   :) :hug: :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 08:21:14 AM »
Ah ok, well we will still get the CP visit done and then see how we get on. Hopefully it will be taken into account by the other rescues as and when  :shy:

We've contacted CP already to arrange a visit, just waiting for them to contact us back, and also the RSPCA too as there are a couple of branches nearby (we are in Oxford/Bucks area) so seems sensible to get them done so we are ready!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 21:33:28 PM »
It may even be worth asking the rescue to home check in advance, that way there wouldn't be a delay before your furbabe comes home?

That's what I meant, sorry I didn't make myself clear  :-[

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 18:10:33 PM »
It may even be worth asking the rescue to home check in advance, that way there wouldn't be a delay before your furbabe comes home?

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 15:28:21 PM »
Our local CP say they don't always home check - they look on google streetview first and only visit if there are any concerns or uncertainties. I certainly think it's worth discussing and arranging where necessary so that you don't miss out again  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 12:13:30 PM »
Most rescues like to undertake their own home checks, but it may still be worth mentioning when you have been home checked by one, as others may well accept that as a follow up, especially if a quick phone call would verify it.. 

Some rescues don't do any home checks.  I appreciate they may come in for criticism in that respect, but rescues do what they can with the resources available.

So sorry you missed out on one furbabe already.  There will be a cat out there just waiting for you.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 12:10:06 PM »
It's been a long time, but I ended up being home checked by CP, the local rescue and then the breed rescue as I was exploring all options, eventually I ended up with Hey Jude from the NFC Rescue.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 11:00:18 AM »
Morning All :)

I have a quick question if that's ok for those in the know? We have contacted one of the local cat rescue centres (CP) to arrange a home visit check, but I was just wondering, would this be 'valid' if we ended up finding a cat at another centre, for example Blue X etc? Or would we have to get visits done by all of them, just in case?!

We had seen a cat we thought was utterly perfect, but sadly we missed him as someone else had already booked to see him :( We were really gutted, but it has definitely made our minds up that we really want another cat, we just need to keep searching..

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 05:28:10 AM »
Couldn't agree more, Emma.   :hug:

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 23:54:13 PM »
I really think unless you are looking for a harder to home cat, any cat will be more friendly, feel more secure, but will be a lot more relaxed in a home environment. We always give 2 weeks (ish) and if the home isn't right we would find another.

Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 23:30:51 PM »
Thanks Gill and Emmy :) We aren't going to see any until we are really ready I think, but I do worry about how different they behave in a rescue compared to how they really are. But I guess as long as we find a centre that will allow longer or repeat visits that will help :)

The 'through the wall' option is a no go it seems. Checked with our builders and because the kitchen wall joins the garage, it's over 300mm thick and I don't want a cat to literally have to tunnel into the house! So it's back to more patio door fitting research at the moment!

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:44:29 AM by HelenD »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 18:21:20 PM »
Hope you find the cat you want, very hard to tell how they are when in a rescue.

I agree with Rosella about thenhome check.

What area of the country are you in and how far will you travel?

I was not rushed but very stressed and had only lost my cat 3 days earlier but couldnt cope without a cat...........Misa and Sasa now coming up to 15 and 18 ! Been here 11 years. Even Lupin has been her 5 years and is coming up to 6...................where does the time go. ish I had got 2 of him LOL..................monster cat!

Offline emmmy_lou

• Super Cat
    • Dextersdream custom pet jewellery
  • Slave to: denzel & dexter and now evie
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 21:35:12 PM »
I wouldn't just go on looking at websites, I would just go & have a look at the cats. I recently totally fell in love with a huge stray called bullseye at our rescue. He looks a bit scary, but the biggest softest sweetheart you could ever meet!

Plus, we always ask (if taken from an owner) if they can use a cat flap. It took our adults a good 2 months to learn to use it. We didn't have one til we got new double glazing. The doors need to have a PVC strip halving them to strengthen the glass.

Pic of Bullseye  :Luv:
Custom pet jewellery www.dextersdream.etsy.com

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 23:33:24 PM »
First quote from a glass company to fit a flap came in at £300!! Yowch! Hoping the others we have asked might be a tad less  :shocked:

Also looking into option b - tunnelling through the kitchen wall into the garage, then out the standard UPVC back door!

We've also seen an adorable cat on an RSPCA site....but he's an hour away, and I'm working the next two weekends, so not sure if we could get over even if we wanted to......

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 21:52:47 PM »
Never had to do it myself, but I believe you can get cat flaps that will fit into double glazed patio doors. Try googling them? :hug: :hug: :hug:

Good on you for wanting to hear the thunder of tiny paws again :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 06:54:51 AM »
Lynn, lovely to hear how you acquired your beautiful babies.   :) :hug: :hug:  It's always a process which fascinates me, how we bond with our chosen furkids.  (Or not, if you adopt two semi feral velociraptors  ;) :evillaugh:)

No, No, Helen - I jest about the velociraptors.   :shify: I wouldn't be without them now, although I do wish we could pick them up so we could transport them more easily for vet checks and the like.  I know what you mean about the doors for flap fitting.  Apart from the sliding patio doors and our bedrooms and bathroom, every other door in the house has a cat flap fitted.  If I move again in the future, it'll cost me a fortune in replacement doors!  :evillaugh:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 21:58:33 PM »
I was always sad when at the rescues - it was seeing them all scared and unloved.  This was at the RSPCA one - I wanted to take them all.

At a local rescue where I got Robbie from - it was a different environment as was run from her home and all the cats were freerange!  Robbie (then a kitten) wouldn't come to me so I knew it was him I wanted - didn't want a cat that would be easy to approach.  Lilly was adopted from the same place a couple of days later - didn't meet her but we needed a companion for Robbie as he was so shy and scared.

Sky I never met - I just saw her picture and knew somehow she was meant to be with me.   Travelled over 2 hours to get her!  Homechecking was nerveracking - only had it done for Sky!

good luck in your search  :hug:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 19:37:53 PM »
Aw thanks guys xx

We will keep you updated on how we get on. I think we are aiming for a cat around 2-4yrs ideally. Having lost Moo so recently, although I would love to help an older cat, I don't think either of us could take it emotionally.

The fact we have both been looking at rehoming sites so much I think means we are ready to meet an new family member, but I do think there will be some sadness too.

DH is now also now looking into cat flap fitting! Moo wasn't much of an outdoor cat when she was younger and we just let he out in the day through the patio doors, and then she become an indoor cat when she got poorly.

But now thinking about a younger cat, we probably need to get a flap! Only problem is that we have sliding glass back doors, or we have to find a way of knocking through a wall into a garage, then out that door to the garden!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 18:18:39 PM »
Helen, I think you might well have a pang of sadness when you go to see the other cats  :hug:  Hopefully, that will be outweighed by excitement  ;D

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 14:17:30 PM »
Before they got to know me, I tended to go for 'oldies' that tend to get overlooked before Bob, Pippa and Pirate, the local rescues always did a home check. TBH I wouldn't think much of a rescue that didn't do one. Of course the downside of oldies, although they were all fantastic, rewarding cats, was that I didn't tend to have them for long. One 17 year old I only had for 6 months before he succumbed to kidney failure, but he was so affectionate and at least he died knowing a home again and was PTS in the arms of someone who loved him. Bittersweet.

Our local rescues let you repeat visit for quite a while during their open hours.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 13:15:56 PM »
Try and get home checked before starting to look for your new companion.  I found it incredibly difficult waiting to be home checked after we had found Fred.  I just wanted to scoop him up and bring him home but had to wait for a home checker to become available and whilst it was "only" about 7 to 10 days, it felt like an eternity  :hug: :hug: :hug:

They (RSPCA)put no limit on the time I could spend with him during the waiting process though and I visited daily and twice daily some days.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 13:11:26 PM »
Good luck with your "toe in the water" research.   :) :hug: :hug:

I think rescues can differ greatly, but if you're fortunate, a good rescue will let you spend as much time as possible with the prospective cat.  Any who didn't or refused a reasonable request for a repeat visit, would be one I'd considering giving a wide berth. 

With our rescues, we were able to spend as much time with the cats as we required (and got three little smashers as a result  :Luv: )

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 09:51:02 AM »
I went via both blue cross and rspca, in both cases they were happy for us to spend as long as we wanted and in both cases we couldn't take the cats for a few weeks after choosing and both were pleased for us to visit and spend time with the cats

in both cases we were very keen to get another cat after loosing a previous one, I think you will have a feeling, and remember they won't be moo they will be completely different but likely just as lovely

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 09:42:56 AM »
Thanks Dawn :)

I'm just hoping we get to spend a while with the cat/s so we can get to know them. One of my friends said they got to spend quite a while, but another said they had about five minutes, which doesn't seem long enough to get to know what they are like!

Also just nervous in general about how it will feel looking at new cats, wether we will be ok or sad? If we find a cat, will we just know?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:12:20 AM »
good luck with your search!  I think it depends, I've always rehomed from rescue centres so you just wander about and they let you go in and meet whoever takes your fancy, for places who foster I suppose you probably get to spend a bit more time, I'm sure there are others who will come along with better advice.  I know that they do sometimes still choose you!  Amber (who we hadn't gone to see) jumped into oh's arms and the rest is history!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
Dipping a toe in the water..
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 18:01:25 PM »
DH and I are thinking about possibly rehoming a cat, after loosing our beloved Moo earlier this year.

I just wanted to ask for some advice on what to expect from going through the rehoming process? We have been looking at all our local rescue websites, but not many seem to go into detail on how things work. I'm especially curious abut the 'meeting' process? How long do you get to spend normally with a cat that you would like to meet?

Moo adopted me, so I've never done this before and have no idea what to expect!

Link to CatChat