Author Topic: Dipping a toe in the water..  (Read 21908 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: Dipping a toe in the water..
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »

if you're feeling brave you can have a quick feel to see if there is still anything in them

:rofl: :rofl:  A braver wummin that I am Gungadin......  ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2016, 11:46:07 AM »
although the sack contents have gone, the collapsed sacks are still there, and if he was done as an adult they will be noticeable

if you're feeling brave you can have a quick feel to see if there is still anything in them
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2016, 11:02:26 AM »
Hmmm.  Boy parts.  We never had any "left over" boy parts on any of lads, but that said they were all neutered as kittens under 6 months old.  Might be worth having a word with the RSPCA just for a quick double check.   ;)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
  • RIP my gorgeous Schmoo xx
  • Slave to: Buddy
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2016, 10:04:10 AM »
LOL I haven't heard of a shower mat bed before! They are funny creatures! Funnily enough though we were looking at dog beds too, they seem larger and flatter and less furry, which I think is what he would prefer at the moment. I do think he needs a couple of different spots to sleep, he moves around a lot at the moment so I think he will be happier with a choice depending on his mood! :)

Re aloofness, it was totally what I was expecting to be honest, Schmoo always gave us the cold shoulder when we had been away too long! I'm just glad we got that, and didn't come home to a wound up/stressed out angry cat!

I do have a random question though - a tad personal for him lol! The RSPCA obviously said he's been neutered, but, well, there are still, um, 'boy parts' showing?  :-: Not had a boy cat before, is this normal?

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2016, 09:20:33 AM »
I like the single duvet idea too - I think a cot bumper covered in a blanket would work too if he wont choose a conventional bed (Moray doesnt like conventional beds particularly - he loves his shower mat, and his dog bed.  :evillaugh:)

Nice idea to give him a choice of beds - some in a quiet secluded space for when he wants "alone" time, and some where he can hang out with his family and enjoy your company -
cats do that, even when they aren't up for cuddling.   :)

I suspect he was a bit aloof last night as he'll have been worrying privately to himself whether you were coming back.   Cats do that, too. 

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2016, 09:03:32 AM »
LOL this is what I suspected re beds, we are trying to encourage him to sleep on a blanket on the sofa at the moment, which seems to sort of be working! Like the idea of the folded duvet though Kay, might give that a go for the corner of the room, as a slightly more secluded safe place.

Leaving him last night was fine in the end, he was a little aloof when we got home, but soon forgave us! We had a play before we left and pooped him out, and the treat ball was deployed with cut up bits of webbox stick in it to keep him occupied, and he loooooved that!  :naughty:

DH also bought a motion camera yesterday for the kitchen, and we did detect a worktop jump while we were out  :tired: We had altered the foil arrangement though (it was flat, rather than sticking up like it had been) so we stood it all up again overnight and no more jumping! Think we need to construct something a little more re-useable though if we are going to have to do this regularly....! If it works maybe we'll patent it LOL!  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2016, 15:36:41 PM »
single duvets make very cheap beds, and of course have covers to protect them

I put one folded in 4 on the floor by the fire for Tiffany every night, and move it to my bed, folded in half,  during the day, and she uses it all the time in both places

and if it turns cold she creeps inside the folds
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2016, 13:18:21 PM »
good point sue, yes willow has her cat bed on a coffer, she wouldn't sleep on anything on the floor!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2016, 13:15:56 PM »
Moray's partial to the dining chairs too.  We just put a fleece blanket over the cushion for him.  Then again, we don't use our dining table that much, so shifting him is never much of an issue.

I think Buddy will be fine when you go out tomorrow.  he'll find various ways to amuse himself, then when he's finished, he'll curl up and sleep.  May be a good idea to have a strenuous play session with him before you get ready.

When it comes to getting him a bed, use where he prefers sleeping now as a clue - the fact he's looking to access worktops and dining chairs suggests he may prefer something raised up off the floor.  If he sleeps in places where you and your OH hang out, then he probably wants company, so don't tuck a bed away somewhere no-one goes - that might not be what he's looking for.  A platform bed on top of a climbing tree might be a good idea.  Do you have an old comfy chair or sofa that could become "his" special place? 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2016, 10:32:46 AM »
willow is the only cat we've ever had that slept in a cat bed! not all night but for the first part then she comes to us.  tilly favours a dining chair herself and star the sofa and when they are upstairs a human bed each!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2016, 10:14:06 AM »
Well, no reaction at all to my cleaning the sink with bleach, so I suppose better than him loving the smell LOL! He's not paying too much attention to the kitchen in general at the moment though, we aren't giving him much interaction while we are in there to hopefully teach him it's a dull place to go!

He has taken to sleeping on one of the dining room chairs yesterday, so I think we need to sort a new bed out ASAP before that becomes a habit. Such a tricky one though, no idea what he will actually like, igloo bed is a total non interest but I would like to get something that he adopts as a regular bed rather than the dining room, or all over the floor lol! It ends to be long though, I measured and he's 2.5ft at full stretch!!

Still being a good boy though, his new treat dispensing ball arrived yesterday, and he's just figured out how it works and is now happily batting it about the floor like a mad thing!  :Crazy:

So glad he likes it, as I got it for when we start leaving him for longer periods of time, to keep him occupied and reward him at the same time while we are out. Have dinner with friends arranged for tomorrow, and am I little nervous, but I'm sure he will be ok :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2016, 20:05:13 PM »
Bleach contains something that attracts cats!

He is gorgeous and nothing nicer than a paddling cat  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2016, 14:51:32 PM »
yes tilly loves bleach as well I found her rolling and hugging a cloth I had been using once - I know have to keep doors shut while I'm cleaning!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2016, 13:40:35 PM »
Thank you for this lovely update - and photos! It's great to hear how well this hansum lad is settling in  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2016, 13:37:18 PM »
I think mine are so afraid of being domestos-sed they steer clear.   :rofl: 

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2016, 13:30:09 PM »
It's amazing how well he's settled in he's so relaxed.               
I've found that bleach actually attracts cats. So usually use eco friendly cleaners or vinegar to clean areas where they might put their feet. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »
You can see by his poses that he's so totally at home with you.  What an enormous compliment.   :Luv: :Luv:

Believe me, that tummy pose isn't lightly given.   :)  I've only recently begun to get those from Malt, and by gum I treasure them.   :Luv2:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2016, 12:19:54 PM »
LOL, that white tummy is just too tickleable! :) I just can't get over how much he is showing us his tummy though, considering that's a vulnerable pose! He's totally not phased though, which is lovely :)

I love the window pic too, complete chillax'd cat  :Luv:

Not sure we have space for a pole in the kitchen unfortunately Sue :/ I'm hoping the foil and repeated firm 'no' if he does get up will work eventually. I will see how he is with bleach smell though, I do my sinks with that once a week normally (with normal cleaning & sanitiser spray in between of course!) but I haven't actually done that yet since he has been here, so might try it today and see if he reacts. Be great if that puts him off, simple fix!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2016, 12:05:23 PM »
lovely pics  :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2016, 12:04:16 PM »
Oh Buddy!!!  You hansum little beast you!   :wow: :wow:

He's gorgeous Helen.  Reminds me a little of our Tinks when we had him.  he's clearly settling in really well.

With regard to the kitchen worktops, any chance you could give him a perching post nearby, so he can be part of what goes on in the kitchen, without actually being on the worktops? 

The gurlies did initially show an interest in getting on the benches, but we just kept on lifting them down and saying "No" firmly.  Moray still sometimes gets up on the bench when he is being particularly loving and trying to sneak some extra chikkun cos he's Da Boss Cat.    I find bleach invaluable.    :innocent:  (I also seem to find it on my jeans, my sweaters, my trainers  :evillaugh:  I take after me mother - she would use bleach everywhere and always managed to get it on her clothing too)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
He is absolutely gorgeous, I love the one of him sprawled on the window ledge :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2016, 11:42:01 AM »
Photo attempt...!?

Ooh yay it works!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:47:31 AM by HelenD »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2016, 11:00:06 AM »
aww what a lovely update!!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »
Hi All!

Just a little update on our new arrival - I can't believe it's only been 5 days since we got him!  :Luv2:

He's doing so so well, totally relaxed and on the whole a really good boy! Eating and toileting are all totally fine thank goodness, after night ones incident he's been normal and regular, and he's a very neat boy and always covers things nicely in the litter tray!

The kneading has reduced a little, but he's still prickly pawed! We are off to the the vets on Monday for his second booster jab, so I will get his claws trimmed while we are there! I just hope he doesn't freak out for that car journey - I have to take him half an hour away to the RSPCAs vets on my own as DH has to work. I've got some Feliway ready, so I just hope that helps!  :-:

He loves a good play, which we tend to do a few times a day, mainly when he starts looking like he wants to go adventuring into places we dont really want him going! A 5-10min mad play session with wand toys and his kickeroo knackers him out for a while and he forgets what he was about to do - so far......!

I wish I could work out how to post photos, he does make us laugh with the way he lies asleep at full 'commando' stretch! I did also get a proper cuddle last night, he hopped onto my lap for a knead, then lay down facing me with his front legs outstretched up to my neck - adorable!

Only thing we need to work on now is stopping him wanting to jump on the kitchen work tops. Currently they are kept shrouded in tin foil that's trapped in all the cupboard doors so they stick up a bit, and that does seem to be working, I just hope it carries on and we can eventually remove the foil and not have to worry!

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2016, 22:27:20 PM »
Ah ok Sue. I'll bear it in mind, he seems pretty calm but if things change I will look into it!

Aw Lynn bless you x We just need to trim his claws and then all will be well. Not sure if it's something I should try soon, or wait, or pop to the vets for though. The scratching is not going well with DH, so sooner would be better but I don't want to upset Bud up to soon..

He's done ok today, slept a lot this afternoon, and eaten all his food! Seems to have second wind this evening though and has got a little hyperactive! Getting on things he shouldn't a bit more tonight, which is not ideal right before bedtime! :( Had a good play with him so really hoping he will zonk out for tonight and be a good boy...

He also hasn't pooped again yet since the iffy one yesterday  :sick: Am sure he's a bit out of sync with the move etc, but I sort of want to be around for the next one incase there are any accidents! Hoping he will go soonish so I can go to bed, so tired but I know I won't sleep well again as I'll be on alert listening lol!

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2016, 10:57:38 AM »
It sounds like a great start!

Cleo used to do the treadling - on my tummy, chest, legs, for about 15 minutes every morning. She would stamp round in circles, purring, we called it her 'happy dance'. As her claws often got quite long I learned to put a throw over my legs - so I have just the one skirt with a pattern of pulls  ;D

No-one has done a happy dance on me for a few weeks now  :'(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2016, 06:41:39 AM »
Didn't mean to post twice - forgive I.  Kindling again - always troublesome.   :innocent:  Ah- removed it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 06:42:57 AM by Sue P (Paddysmum) »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2016, 06:39:25 AM »
Kneading and treadling are signs of pure joy in a cat.  What could be nicer?!   :Luv:

Zylkene is a capsule with magic powers.  ;)  It doesn't require a prescription and is safe to use.  You open the capsule and mix the powder in with food or cat milk - you can just sprinkle on top of a treat.  Most cats seem to love it happily enough, and it has a calming effect.

Sounds like you've had a great first night.  Well done.   :)

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2016, 05:36:16 AM »
Hi Kay, thanks for the idea of carpet on wood, might try that! He's funny though, he's not scratching in the typical sense, it's where he seems so happy that he's just constantly kneading wherever he is lol - even does it on the tiled kitchen floor! Think we will be popping to the vets for a claw trim at some point!

First night seemed to go fine thank god! Left him alone downstairs and didn't really hear a peep from him! There was one loud scrabbly crash sound, but I think he tried to get on the kitchen worktop and I had put foil all around them to discourage him and one of them is a bit scrunched up this morning. No toilet accidents that I can see, and his litter tray was used, so couldn't really have gone better. I got loads of fuss this morning coming down, but now he's flat out on the floor again. Never met such a chilled cat considering how long he's been here!  :Luv2:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2016, 00:25:53 AM »
if he turns out to be a horizontal carpet scratcher, you will probably find a cheap coir doormat will satisfy him - and in the past I've had success with gluing carpet samples to a bit of wood
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2016, 22:03:07 PM »
Tried to post a pic from my ipad but it says it's too big :(

He does seem to like catnip - we did put some on the cardboard scratch thing but he didn't seem to get the idea. We also got a catnip stick toy thing which he's loving :)

We are going to get some Feliway tomorrow so hopefully that will help. He does seem to easing off the kneading a little, mainly it's when we are talking to him LOL! He just stands looking at us flexing his feet :) I've not used Zyklene before, what is that for?

He's eaten some biscuit and been drinking ok, and sleeping on and off in the middle of the room! Worrying about leaving him down here alone tonight though :/

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2016, 21:37:37 PM »
I am so pleased for you Helen :hug: :wow:

I would just say catnip, catnip, catnip, unless he is one of those cats who aren't interested, in which case you could try valerian instead. I would recommend Zylkene as well, it has made all the difference to Merlin.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2016, 20:27:02 PM »
I know - really not what I had planned for my Saturday night!  :shocked:

Thanks for the tip, I did say to DH I think that's when he's doing, so I do hope it eases up!! He was also in a tiled floor pen at the fosterers so I suspect all this carpet is very tempting! We are going out first thing tomorrow to stock up on loads of scratching posts etc so hopefully they will draw his attention! We are keeping him downstairs at the moment, once we have the house rules sorted we will look at upstairs!

He's very chilled though considering - currently sprawled out full stretch in the middle of the living room floor! So much for the nice new igloo bed we just got......! I'll try and get a decent pic if I can :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2016, 20:08:11 PM »
Well Helen, what a surprise!!   ;D

He sounds lovely.  Try not to fret about the kneading.  Cats have scent glands on their paws, and he's so delighted to be with you and exploring his new home, so he's scent marking his new gaff.  I'd go out and get a number of those cheap cardboard scratching boxes that you've got him- hang some vertically and some on the floor, upstairs and down.  You could sprinkle them with cat nip.  Then show him they're his - mimic scratching them.  If he goes to exercise his claws on the furnishings, just gentle disengage him, say "No" gently, and show him the scratch boxes instead.  This should do the trick.

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
Re: Dipping a toe in the water..or jump right in with both feet?!?
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2016, 18:59:09 PM »
Well. That was unexpected - we now have a cat!?!  :shocked:

On second visit to the first two cats, we couldn't leave one of them, and have brought him home! Can't believe it happened that fast. We are normally huge planners before making any decision and I'm not sure what happened....

His name is Buddy (we may change that) and he's a 1-2yr old tabby and white with v green eyes :)

Just letting him settle in to the living room at the moment, as that's the main room he will be in, although getting a bit stressed already - he's really kneading absolutely everything - carpets, furniture, us! Not sure why though, but I hope that stops as DH is not a happy bunny re carpets and sofas! We did get one of those cardboard scratch boards but he's not bothered at all and just kneads around it......! :/

Hopefully he's just setting in and will calm down after a while, he's very curious at the moment and getting in everything. Having had a very chilled relaxed cat before who didn't get into much trouble, I think this is going to take some getting use to......!

If anyone had any advice it would be much appreciated  :shocked:

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2016, 14:48:28 PM »
Aw thanks guys :) Have called the fosterer to see if we can go back tomorrow afternoon, after we've been to our other appointment. Figure that will hopefully give us some perspective and we can go from there.

The cats are both lovely, I just don't think I spent much time with them individually, because there were so many in there it was somewhat distracting! Hopefully seeing them again (and how they react to us a second time) will tell us all we need to know x

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2016, 09:13:33 AM »
very true Sue, I actually wasn't keen on star at all when I got her home  :-[  the only reason she didn't go back was because the lovely girls caring for her said as I was leaving with her, we won't see those two back again and I felt I couldn't let them down.  She clearly couldn't stand amber and was a horrible bully for a while and I just couldn't warm to her - fortunately things turned around and she is now a total babe who I adore

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2016, 08:57:55 AM »
 :evillaugh: :hug: :hug:  No harm at all in keeping your options open, or in going back to view the cats again.  I've had cats with whom I've felt an immediate and powerful bond, and I've had cats where that bond wasn't there initially, but grew to be very special indeed, so don't let that put you off.  What counts with cats is how much work you're willing to put in once you've made your choice.   

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2016, 08:52:55 AM »
go back and see, you might feel different you might not - go with an open mind, nobody here thinks you are silly though

Offline HelenD

• Senior Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2016, 08:44:23 AM »
Well we went to look at a couple of cats last night  :innocent: I'm not sure how I feel about it this morning though, which I wasn't expecting.

So so sad that there were soo many cats there looking for homes - makes me sooo angry at people who just don't care about their pets at all! They were so busy at the fosterers that they were having to put 3-4 cats together per pen, which meant it was pretty busy! :/

We went to see three cats, two we didn't seem to get 'the feeling' for when we met them, but one was very cute, plus his pen-mate who we hadn't seen before was also lovely - my husbands favourite. But I'm not sure what I'm feeling, they were both really lovely, but I'm not feeling as I thought I would in terms of an attachment?

Is it a case of you'll just find 'the one' and want it no matter what, or choose a cat that we do seem to bond with and let that develop?

Ugh I sound so silly don't i? I think I was expecting to feel more than I am and I'm not sure if it's my nerves and emotions about getting a new cat, or the cats themselves? I don't want to take a cat and then find we don't actually bond, that would be horrible for them and us, and one of the ones we are thinking about already got returned once :(

DH wants to go back and see them again which I think we should do, but I'm also still checking other sites as well, and we have an appt at another centre tomorrow lunchtime....?

Sorry, ugh, someone give me a slap LOL!?!

Link to CatChat