Author Topic: Mosi may have broken tail - update he's ok  (Read 7274 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: Mosi may have broken tail - update he's ok
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2016, 17:23:05 PM »
He's a tough old boy bless him.  100% fit to be naughty in no time :hug: :Luv2:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2016, 14:26:33 PM »
Great news  ;D ;D

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2016, 12:27:25 PM »
I am so glad that your lad has his wonderful tail back to full swish  ;D

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2016, 12:14:40 PM »
That is good news Susanne. Mosi's lovely plumey tail :Luv:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2016, 09:53:11 AM »
Mosi's tail seems completely healed now (outwardly at least).  When I feel it I can't even feel a kink in it, although I haven't had a really good feel as I don't want to aggravate anything.   He doesn't flinch when I  touch it or stroke it from base to tip.  He's not been back to the vets yet as they didn't specify a timescale and he is going for a general check up as soon as he's settled down after being in the cattery.  I'm amazed how something that looked and felt so awful can mend itself this well.  I am still wary of him playing roughly with Kito in case it gets tugged but hopefully the vet will be able to give me a better indication of whether everything internal should be healed. It's been 5 weeks now.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2016, 21:16:51 PM »
So pleased that Mosi is on the mend :Luv:.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2016, 17:37:47 PM »
Sounds as if things are going very well Susanne  ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2016, 13:18:43 PM »
Good news all round by the sound of it  :Luv2: :hug:

In a few weeks time they will be giving you something new to worry about ;) ;)

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2016, 09:47:08 AM »
He is a bit cautious but he's acting pretty normally now most of the time. He may retreat to a high place or under the bed if it looks like Kito is getting a bit rough but I consider that a good thing as it means less chance of him getting hurt. He is lively and playful in himself and has been chasing shadows (his favourite game) and running around. He initiated some play with Kito this morning. He spied Kito so prepared to pounce by doing the bum wiggle and crouch but then Kito saw him so they were both there doing the bum wiggle thing and eventually pounced playfully on each other. It ended quite quickly when Mosi ran under the bed so I was relieved it didn't end up with wrestling as that's how he got hurt in the first place. His tail needs to heal properly before any of that. I think the only difference from before the injury is that Mosi is slightly more cautious with Kito. He's not wary of him in general and they sniff each other, do a spot of grooming and generally get on but Mosi will growl or go under the bed (or go high up) at an earlier point in the play but that's understandable if he's a bit uncomfortable and also remembers what happened.

Kito has been on the go since 7.30am. We've played flying frenzy, chased mowsies,and had lots of just running around like a mad thing (Kito not me).  Now Kito is in cat tree bed and Mosi is in the bedroom. I feel confident now that I can go out and Kito won't get too boisterous as he's tired out.

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2016, 21:19:15 PM »
It sounds as if Mosi is feeling a bit cautious, especially around Kito. I'm sure he will settle down given a bit of time. It's good that you will be around for a few days to keep an eye on things.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2016, 11:02:25 AM »
I have plenty of metacam, Rosella. I still have some left in the bottle and another unopened one! I always like to have metacam in. Would rarely give it without vet advice but I like to feel I have pain relief to hand and it was useful when Jaffa got cystitis. He's had it everyday up to yesterday. Vet said give it for 4-5 days so I gave it for 5 days then gave him a half dose yesterday. I'm not going to give any more unless he seems to be in pain. He doesn't flinch when I touch his tail and is happy to lie snuggled up to me with his tail squashed in between us.  Hopefully he is over the worst. If there is no further improvement in his tail I would consider it 95% recovered (at least) but I suspect it will continue to heal over the next few weeks as any bruising or muscle/ligament damage heals.

We had a lovely lie in and cuddle this morning. Sometimes it's hard to know whether a tail position is normal or a bit droopy. I don't normally analyse his tail positions (although I do admire it a lot  :Luv: ) so find myself looking at it a lot and trying to decide whether that looks like a normal tail position or one that's a result of his injury. I think he wonders why I keep staring at his tail!  I'm going out shortly and intend to leave them together with free access. Kito is in one of his beds and Mosi's settled in a cat tree bed for a wash.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2016, 05:14:22 AM »
At first signs of it drooping again I'd be back to vet for more metacam Susanne  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2016, 23:00:41 PM »
Ive been smitten with him for 10 years  ;D

I was a little concerned when I got home today as he greeted me no problem but then when I served up tea he refused to come out from behind the tv so I let him eat there. Then he went under the bed. He goes there a lot (did when Jaffa was alive and also when he was an only cat) as he likes it there so while there's sometimes an element of seeking out a safe place it rarely worries me. But when I get in from work he usually wants lots of fuss and attention. I was initially concerned that something had happened but he did come out eventually and has spent most of the evening with me or on top of tv (another favourite place) and acting normally. I think things have just been strange this week and he's also a bit wary of Kito when Kito gets boisterous. With them having been separated during the day, I think they are both aware of something being not quite right so I'm looking forward to things getting back to normal and them being together all the time.

His tail is looking good. It still sometimes droops a bit but he can and does hold it upright and uses the whole tail. It is probably still a bit sore and will take a few weeks to heal fully.  Even if it doesn't improve any further, it's near enough fully recovered. He's finished his metacam now so I hope it won't be uncomfortable for him.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2016, 19:50:54 PM »
Paula, I've been saying it for over 8 years  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary

Can't say I disagree, I think the first full photo I saw of him was on the New Kitten thread :rofl:, smitten ever since. :Luv2:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2016, 15:25:18 PM »
Paula, I've been saying it for over 8 years  :Luv2: :hug:

Mary

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2016, 15:17:32 PM »
Said it before and will no doubt say it again, but he is the most stunning cat. Don't tell my quad, but that includes them, sssshhh!

So pleased that Mosi is so much better. Pain about the flooding though. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2016, 16:10:44 PM »

Beautiful photo of Mosi. Glad his gorgeous tail is ok  ;D

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2016, 06:40:48 AM »
Lovely pic Susanne, and am very pleased Mosi is doing so well, notwithstanding the unwelcome addition of a flood (yet again  :hug: :hug:)

Sending our floofy boy some gentle ear rubs, and a little prrrp from Moray and The Gurlies.  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2016, 23:07:24 PM »
Sorry I missed this. Glad to see he is on the mend  :Luv2:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2016, 22:50:35 PM »
Love thepic Susanne, such a beauty :Luv2: :hug:

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2016, 19:54:06 PM »
It is. I feel so stressed. I've just had to separate the boys as Kito was chasing Mosi so poor Mosi is shut out of living room where I am with Kito. Will open the door soon - just want to give Mosi some respite and this division of territory works best.

I think I will separate them for the rest of the week to give Mosi the best chance to heal. I have a physio appointment tomorrow afternoon so am going to come home at lunchtime to check on things and allow them to mingle. Then separate again for about an hour and a half while I'm at the hospital.  It will be hard sticking to it for 2 more days (and I'll be nervous about flooding) but I'll be happier giving Mosi a couple more days free from Kito's over eager attentions.  Then I think I'll have to just let them be together and keep everything crossed they are ok

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2016, 19:41:49 PM »
It all sounds a nightmare Susanne!  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2016, 19:22:41 PM »
This is him yesterday showing off his tail

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2016, 19:13:13 PM »
Oh Kito doesn't listen to anyone!

Both the hims upstairs from me have died recently. Well, the one above me who caused most of them died about a year ago.  Flat at top is empty and they have been putting in new boiler and there was some leak. Came through flat above me then in to mine. Apparently fixed but they have turned water off so am a bit worried about what will happen when they turn it back on. Big water blister on ceiling which is dripping. Very stressful day!

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2016, 18:59:05 PM »
Oh no, don't tell me you are starting with floods again, I thought all was sorted with him upstairs?

I think if Mosi shows Kito he is not amused he will leave him alone :hug: :Luv2:

Mary

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2016, 18:39:41 PM »
The fluff monster is doing well. The separation ended up being more stressful than it should have due to flooded bathroom and kitchen. Not sure what time of day it all happened but poor Mosi only had access to the bathroom litter tray but the bathroom floor very wet. It had been used and I was relieved that nowhere else had. But confining each of them to half the flat not the best idea when each has a flooded room to contend with. Poor boys.

They are getting on ok together but Kito chased Mosi earlier and Mosi was a bit upset. I think there are a few fences to mend as Mosi probably remembers what happened. His tail is looking great though.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2016, 12:17:51 PM »
Fourthed :hug: :Luv2:

It's cos everything is so expensive that our normal, human reaction is to ask "how much?".

Long live the feather duster tail :rofl: :hug: :Luv2:

Mary

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2016, 12:05:59 PM »
         I realise reading back that my first posts sound as though I'm more concerned about money than Mosi, bless him.                     

No, it didn't.

Thirded!  :hug: :hug:

Am just so delighted he is improving so quickly  :wow:  I vaguely recall our Grouch hurt his tail some years back but think I've blocked it out tbh.

I just remember becoming a loony cat mum for a while then all was OK  :phew:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »
         I realise reading back that my first posts sound as though I'm more concerned about money than Mosi, bless him.                     

No, it didn't.  There's no denying when our pets take ill over a weekend or bank holiday, or out of hours, there's always the added concern over the cost accessibility.  Susanne, no-one is judging your actions or your thoughts.  Please don't feel guilty over a perfectly normal reaction.   :hug:

seconded!  :hug:

I am very glad that our lovely boy is much better  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 07:57:13 AM »

No, it didn't.  There's no denying when our pets take ill over a weekend or bank holiday, or out of hours, there's always the added concern over the cost accessibility.  Susanne, no-one is judging your actions or your thoughts.  Please don't feel guilty over a perfectly normal reaction.   :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Help emergency Mosi may have broken tail
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2016, 07:20:19 AM »
Yes that's the thing - if they are together I will worry all day so I am going to separate them.

I'm pleased to say that his tail looks back to normal now.  I can see a slight kink in it from certain angles.  I'm amazed that something that looked and felt so awful can heal so quickly.  But without an x-ray we won't know exactly what he has done to it so difficult to guess healing time.  I'll see how they cope being apart all day (I separated them for a couple of hours when I went out yesterday).  I am off work on friday so I may separate them all week up til then - that will be a week since he did it - then if I go out over the bank holiday weekend it is unlikely to be for a full day so may be a good time to start leaving them together again.

I realise reading back that my first posts sound as though I'm more concerned about money than Mosi, bless him.  I was just concerned because the emergency vet is usually one of the interns.  They are fully qualified vets and I have no doubt about the quality of care he'd get (or that they'd consult a more experienced vet if needed) but I always wonder whether they say bring them in sometimes to cover their backs and say they've seen the cat, even though it's going to cost the owner over £100 just to walk through the door.  Then if he'd needed x-rays, the petplan vet line is closed over the weekend so we couldn't discuss direct payments.... The head honcho is actually the one who rang me back on friday evening.  They must have some staff problems for him to be providing the out of hours cover and saturday emergency surgery (he's usually only does specialist, referral consultations) but I think it was lucky for me he did as he may have been more confident and experienced enough to know that tail injuries are usually wait and see and that he didn't need to be rushed to the surgery on the friday evening.  I would, of course, have taken him in if he'd said that was necessary.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2016, 07:14:02 AM »
Susanne, how's our lovely boy this morning?    :cat rub:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2016, 21:41:15 PM »
I am so glad that the handsome Mosi is able to use his swishy tail!  :briggin:

If you don't separate your boys while you are out, will you spend the whole time worrying?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 21:41:56 PM by Slugsta, Reason: typo »

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 20:48:45 PM »
 :wow:Really happy for you Susanne and for Mosi  ;D ;D ;D.  He'll be back normal in no time :crossed:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2016, 09:48:58 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Mary

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2016, 09:14:06 AM »
 :hug:  hope Mosi is soon back to his happy self.   :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2016, 08:37:39 AM »
Susanne, I think you can absolutely discount any talk of amputation.  Mosi's tail sounds like it's already feeling much better, which means it's healing.   :hug: :hug:

I remember when Fred's tail was injured, our vet used a scale of between 1 and 5 to explain the severity of the injury.  Fred's was a level 4.  Fred's tail took about 4 weeks altogether, but I then we felt that was quick considering he had other complications from his accident, and he just would not stay in the house (probably cos he seemed as determined as ever to come to visit).  He does still have a slight bump in his tail where it was broken, but it doesn't detract from its handsome appearance   :)

There are few sadder sights than to see a cat's tail hanging uselessly, so fully understand the shock and the  fright that went with seeing Mosi injured this way.  If you can keep them separated for a couple of days or so while you're at work, you'll make sure he gets on with healing that tail, and not gettting it knocked again.   :hug: :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2016, 08:06:39 AM »
Sorry I didn't get a chance to update further yesterday. I was so tired and also keeping a close eye on both of them to make sure no rough play.

Mosi's tail is making a remarkable recovery. He is using it , holding it up and out, and last night he was curled up with his tail wrapped around his body and his paws holding it down but the end was swishing (he does that when he's happy) which proves that he can use the entire tail. I'd say it was at least 80% back to normal. He does still often carry it flopping over at the end but he can clearly use the whole tail and hold it upright. I suspect the metacam is responsible for a lot of this but that's good as it implies it may only be discomfort stopping full use of his tail.  It's an amazing recovery as it looked horrendous at the time.

His tail still has a kink in it that he may always have but its not as severe as it was when he first did it.

The hardest bit is going to be stopping Kito from being rough. I need to make sure his tail doesn't get pulled while it's healing. I can watch and intervene when I'm at home but can see no other option than to separate them when I go out, for a few days at least. I forgot to ask the vet how long it would take to heal (obvious question but I was just relieved it seemed to be improving and no further action was needed right then so forgot).  How long do you think I need to be extra careful making sure his tail doesn't get pulled or sat on? I always try to distract Kito when he gets a bit rough anyway but Mosi enjoys a bit of chasing and wrestling and I can't watch them when at work. I suspect they both sleep most of the time when work but there's probably some playing/Kito chasing Mosi. I know that's a difficult question to answer when we don't know exactly what he's done to it, but how long do you think I need to be ultra careful to avoid the chance of it being pulled? I don't want to separate them longer than I need to since Mosi will be upset at being denied access pto the living room and kitchen, and Kito will be unhappy being shut into those 2 rooms. But protecting Mosi's tail has to be the priority at the moment.

I had forgotten about Fred's tail. So good that his fluffy duster is back to its former glory. Hopefully Mosi's will be too in time. Even if it makes no further recovery from the way it is now I dont think we'd need to amputate as he's using the whole tail and it's not dragging along the ground.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2016, 06:45:38 AM »
How's your beautiful boy doing Susanne?

Are you managing to keep Kito quiet so Mosi can rest his tail?

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2016, 21:20:37 PM »
Just seen this and sending lots of healing vibes to my fave little boy :Luv2: :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Susanne IF he does have to loose his feather duster don't worry too much cos I had my beautiful Bonnie with no tail.  He won't loose any of his personality or his gorgeous little face.

At first I was hoping Kito had just caught his claw in his back end but obviously not.

Give them both some big cuddles and kisses cos they will both be worrying about you cos you are so sad :( :hug:

Mary

Link to CatChat