Author Topic: Mosi may have broken tail - update he's ok  (Read 7273 times)

Offline Sonya(Buttersmum)

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Butter
Re: Help emergency Mosi may have broken tail
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2016, 18:58:13 PM »
Glad to hear Mosi has used his tail ;D hope he gets better over time, sending you more  :hug: :hug:. And Kito be very gentle when playing with Mosi

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2016, 16:25:45 PM »
I don't know if anyone's around but I need urgent help. Mosi and Kito were playing when there was a squeal from Mosi. I didn't see what happened as they were the other side of the coffee table. Now Mosi is walking with his tail hanging limp. The base looks ok but then it hangs over   He's walking ok and can jump up onto things. Is this a vet now thing or a wait and see thing?  I'm really panicking.
I would say call the vets for advice

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Um, she did, and took Mosi there this morning first thing. ;D
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 16:01:15 PM »
I don't know if anyone's around but I need urgent help. Mosi and Kito were playing when there was a squeal from Mosi. I didn't see what happened as they were the other side of the coffee table. Now Mosi is walking with his tail hanging limp. The base looks ok but then it hangs over   He's walking ok and can jump up onto things. Is this a vet now thing or a wait and see thing?  I'm really panicking.
I would say call the vets for advice

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

Offline hollycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Astrophe and Zoonie the Lazoon
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 15:55:01 PM »

Hugs and get well vibes heading Mosi's way :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 15:44:27 PM »
Thanks for the update Susanne. I'm glad that your lad has been eating and using his tray as usual - the latter is a really good indication that he doesn't have a significant cauda equina injury.

I agree that it is a good sign that Mosi has been able to lift his tail sometimes. Here's hoping that Mother Nature soon gets to work and does her stuff.

Sending lot of  :hug: for you all.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 15:05:45 PM »
Well remembered Rosella. 

"Wait and see" is exactly what the vet told Fred's owners when his tail was broken and his pelvis damaged.  Fred had the most glorious tail that arced over his back like a Lemur's and to see it hanging limp was heartbreaking.  Amputation was also discussed then, but the vet Fred's people use is the same one we go to, and he also prefers the "minimal intervention" route.

It paid off.  Fred's tail is now as glorious as it ever was.

The fact Mosi has already been able to hold his tail erect, however briefly, is a really good sign, Susanne. 

Am sending our gorgeous Mosi special snoozles and so much love.   :hug: :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 14:22:48 PM »
Poor Mosi  :( :( :(

Sending hugs to you and Mosi  :hug: :hug: :hug:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 13:07:18 PM »
I did google this morning Susanne and only options that came up were in vast majority of cases it's wait & see as they often heal by themselves and in very bad circumstances amputation.  Not therefore surprised that vet not at all sure about whether he would go the strapping route.  Other very positive thing I found online was that it's a good sign if an affected cat can perform a poo which Mosi did OK this morning.  The fact that he has now held his tail erect, even for a short time, I would say is excellent news.  Tail injuries are however very uncomfortable so it's great that you have metacam (the wonder drug) handy.

Am so glad that you got to see head honcho too  :)

I do however see you have quite a problem on your hands keeping them separate  :-:

Sending you these Mosi sweetheart  :care: :care: :care: :blow kiss: and a few of these to Kito lad :no no: :no no: :no no:  :hug:

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2016, 12:07:48 PM »
So pleased that he has held his tail up on his own, that has got to be a promising sign. Go Mosi :Luv2:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »
We're back from the vet. Right song and dance getting him into the carrier. I got him out from under the bed with treats but after one failed attempt to grab him, he hid under the sofa. I was trying to pull the sofa out but he just went with it and Kito was hurtling around wondering what was going on.  Got him in and knowing we were late (Fetch delivery didn't come until bang on 9.30 - I'd rang vets to let them know) I still had to stop off for cash on the way so it stressful just getting to the vet.

The vet wants to wait and see.  He said fractures and dislocations in cat tails are difficult to treat and if they don't heal themselves amputation is the best option. He said it was possible to pin them and strap them but really he wasn't sure he'd want to do that as not really in the best interest of the cat. He actually paused and pondered and said "hmm. Would I refuse to do that... " clearly thinking about whether he'd actually agtree to do something like that.  It is a referral practice with a small amount of general practice so they obviously carry out complicated and expensive treatments (while I was waiting someone was at the desk paying £1700 in cash - he'd used up his insurance max payout) but they do tend to carefully consider whether just because something can be done it should be done. He didn't want to put us both through the stress and expense of X-Rays at the moment.  There is an obvious kink in his tail but it doesn't look or feel as bad as last night. I saw the head honcho this time. Never seen him before as consultations usually done by interns.

So we're back with instructions to watch him, try to prevent him playing rough with Kito  :Crazy: (may have to separate them when I go out) and give him metacam for 4 to 5 days.  The really good news as that he got out of the carrier and held his tail erect! He is still holding it hanging down most of the time but has held it fully up in the air a couple of times so that's fantastic. I've just given them both an unexpected snack so that I could lace Mosi's with metacam and he's eaten it.

So very promising news. He may always have a kink in his tail but I'm keeping everything crossed he doesn't have to have that lovely fluffy tail amputated
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 11:17:57 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »
Sorry Susanne, only just seen this. How did Mosi get on at the vets? :crossed: that the damage isn't as bad as you feared and it is a sprain.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 09:26:45 AM »
Have everything crossed that all will yet be well Susanne and hope Mosi was able to get into carrier without too much discomfort.  I remember one of Sue's borrowers had an awful tail injury that somehow he got over in time  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 08:59:58 AM »
Sending all the best possible vibes for  Mosi and a big  :hug: for you Susanne.

Offline JenGeorgieBob

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Billy and Zarny (Benji, Fred and Ginger, gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 08:49:07 AM »
Oh no, poor Mosi. I hope it is just a sprain or something that will heal given time. Keeping paws crossed for him (and for you).  :hug: :hug:
...pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again...

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Help emergency
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
He has eaten breakfast this morning. I did consider not feeding him until he'd been to the vets but decided to keep things normal. I doubt he'd have surgery immediately even if they felt that was needed. He has done a wee and a poo this morning. His tail is much the same but I'm sure he has held it a bit more upright at times. The problem is about 3 inches from the base and last night he held up those 3 inches then the rest curled over towards the ground. This morning I have noticed a couple of times it seems to curl over from higher up (by which I mean further down the tail) but that could be wishful thinking. Obviously if he flicks his tail up momentum will make it look more upright temporarily. Overall it looks pretty much the same and he's walking around with his tail hanging down.

He seems a little subdued but I could be imagining that also.  If I didn't know something was wrong I don't think I'd notice anything wrong with his demeanour.  He's jumping onto things, he came to bed last night and is mooching around like normal. When he comes to bed at night he lies on his side so that his back and rear end are leaning into me. Not the best position when you have a damaged tail! He came and did that but it was clearly uncomfortable for him when the base of his tail touched me. He managed to get comfortable and was rolling onto his back for tummy rubs. I even got a purr out of him.

I've had a gentle feel of his tail and it doesn't feel as disjointed as it did last night but again I'm aware I might be seeing what I want to see.  I've avoided googling tail injuries as don't want to scare myself but have found a thread on pet forums from last year by someone whose cat had a very similar looking injury and his tail did get better over a few days. It may not be the same thing with Mosi but I'm keeping everything crossed it's something that will heal given time. He's sat beside me now on the coffee table helping me to type this.

He is due at the vets at 9.15 but annoyingly I have a Fetch delivery due 8.30 - 9.30 so hope that comes early.

Kito knows something's up. He has tried to play with Mosi this morning but is mostly keeping his distance. I think he was a bit freaked out by the cry that Mosi did last night when, in his mind, they were just playing.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 07:44:45 AM »
Just checking in to see how your boy is Susanne. Would have thought he was unlikely to have eaten if he was in too much discomfort. Hope with all my heart that things go well at vet today  :hug:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 05:47:51 AM »
Susanne, I'm so sorry to hear this has happened.  It sounds like his tail may be broken or dislocated.  Am sending very strong vibes for you both and will check back later xxxxxxxx

• Hero Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 00:47:50 AM »
Oh dear! hopefully the bumps are just bruising and swellings, at least he is'nt off his food

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 23:22:17 PM »
I've had a feel of his tail (just once as I don't want to hurt him or make things worse) and there are bumps where something is definitely out if alignment. Looking at it I can see 2 bumps where it looks like broken. He is holding his tail like a question mark but low down - not trailing on the ground but almost touching it. I'm no vet but I would guess that he's broken it in 2 places. Poor lad. I can't believe this has happened. It's such a freak accident. Kito does get rough and Mosi usually ends up pinned down at those times as he weighs less so I tend to distract Kito at those times with a toy. Kito means no harm - it's play to him and a bit of dominance but he wouldn't actually hurts Mosi. I think what may have happened is that Mosi has twisted to get out from underneath Kito and his tail has got trapped.   He's just eaten supper ok.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2016, 23:02:58 PM »
Sending vibes to you Susanne, hope Mosi hasn't broke his tail  :'(, hopefully he has just trapped a nerve and it will get better soon :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 22:57:11 PM »
Oh Susanne, I wish I could give you a real hug :hug: Please make sure you have had something to eat yourself, low blood sugar won't help anything. If you think your lovely boy might be in pain, don't be afraid to give him some metacam - just don't forget to tell the vet tomorrow, just in case he needs to know.

Poor Kito too, he will know that something is wrong with his buddy, but not what  :(

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 22:51:48 PM »
I'm shaking like a leaf. I can be practical when it's other people's cats but go to pieces when it's mine. One minute I'm playing with them, looking online for things for them then this happens. I suspect I may have to cancel my holiday. Mosi comes first of course but I have looked forward to this break for so long and won't get my money back. But for now I'm just worried about my fluffy monster. He has such a lovely tail I can't bear the idea of him having it amputated although of course I know him being ok is the only thing that matters.  I just want him to be alright. I'm not sure how I'll know whether he needs metacam as cats hide pain so well. Kito knows somethings wrong. I'm going to see whether he wants supper.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 22:31:42 PM »
Sending heartfelt get well vibes to your stunning boy Susanne.   Of course Kito wouldn't have harmed his bested pal on purpose.

So glad that you will be able to ease any discomfort if needs be  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 22:24:52 PM »
Mosi and Susanne  :hug: I hope your lovely lad is not hurt as badly as you fear. I hope you both have a quiet night.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 22:22:36 PM »
Right. I've spoken to duty vet. He says to keep him quiet and take him in in the morning but to ring back if I'm worried and feel need to. I asked whether should give him pain killer as I have metacam but he said not to unless I feel he really needs it. Supposed to stop him jumping but not sure how I'm supposed to do that. Can't believe this has happened. Kito would not have hurt him deliberately. Think his tail must have got twisted or something.  Please send get well vibes

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 22:09:26 PM »
Waiting for on call vet to ring me back. Am going to have to stop at cash machine on way to get money for consultation as no card and don't know what will happen if need X-ray. So worried will need to be amputated. Can't believe this has happened

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 22:06:35 PM »
Phone vet Susanne  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 22:05:35 PM »
Omg think he's broken his tail. I can't afford X-ray on top of out of hours. He is insured but now that he's 10 I have to pay £120 plus 20%. Does anyone know whether consultation fee is included in that or will I have to pay 129 on top of that?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 22:04:45 PM »
Phone vet Susanne  :hug:

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 22:02:01 PM »
Can you phone and speak to an on duty vet? From what I have read, this could be something or nothing. In your position I would want expert advice  :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 21:59:40 PM »
He's used the litter tray. I'd ring the vet and may well do shortly but I know they'll say bring him in to have a look but I really can't afford out of hours vet fees at moment. I will of course take him if necessary.  Just not sure how long to watch him for before deciding he needs to be seen

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Mosi may have broken tail - update he's ok
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 21:52:42 PM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:23:39 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat